• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

The first few episodes of the new Lupin III underwhelmed me, and there's been no hype to drive any new interest.

This has been my experience as well.

Rakugo 02
I suppose I can applaud the fact the Rakugo performance that was supposed to be boring, indeed came off that way. :p Maybe I 'd fare better if it didn't came on top of two other plays within this episode.

I hope there is some decent breaking off point in the story cause as I understand it, this is still an ad for an ongoing, 8 volume long already, manga.

Russ T

Banned
Same. On the ANNcast from this week Lupin was highlighted as the best new thing from this season though. Straight from the mouth of someone who thought Fujiko Mine was the previous best Lupin thing. Now I don't know if I'll ever watch it. :)

I have incredibly mixed feelings about the Fujiko series.

I wouldn't compare them at all, they're so wildly different in tone and atmosphere. Similar rough, stylish art, but that's about it. Even then, the Lupin series is a lot more, hmm, consistent with its style. Fujiko goes dreamy and/or surreal quite often.

Uhh I got off-topic. Blue Jacket is way way better than Fujiko.

I watched 8 or so episodes and it's not good. Even the oldest Lupin series is more entertaining and engaging then the 2015 one which has trouble even telling a story in 20 minutes. None of those episodes were as creative or focused as the prison break one from Part 1, because 2015 has no focus. I hardly even know what the main plot of the episode is most of the time because it branches off into 5 different directions for little reason.

Way harsh man. It's the best. ):

I certainly have yet to experience any confusion of that sort. X:

I had a way better time with Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone then any of the Lupin 2015 episodes.

Jigen's Gravestone was pretty good.

Also, I recently watched Fujiko Mine.

I didn't like it very much. I understand maybe the appeal of doing a Lupin series that more dark and presents the characters in a more hard edged manner.

But the second Inspector Zenigata seemed like he was trying to kill Lupin rather than catch them...
tumblr_m32bhy4rDT1qzqnxxo1_r1_500.gif

...was when I realize the show just wasn't that fun.

Also its ending is bizarre from a narrative standpoint.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
ERASED 02

The only problem with this show is that it's almost too good!
Love the VA for both the child and adult MC. Really solid episode after the strong opening on episode one.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I almost forgot my favorite ANNcast-ism from this week. Grimgar fan targeting Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo for its sexism.

convo

I had a way better time with Daisuke Jigen's Gravestone then any of the Lupin 2015 episodes.

I mainlined through 13 episodes and came out to what seems to be the first big conclusion to a story arc and i was simply happy about how strong Zenigata simply is. He gets some love. Goemon is a rather boring character, i liked his episode but i am glad he wasn't featured much so far.

Furyous

Ajin 1

This moving too fast. They're on pace to get too far too quickly and keep in mind another movie is supposed to come out this year, I think.

Does anyone want to guess the trajectory of the movies with the manga.

I'm guessing what the plot of this series and movies so read at your own, SPOILING ASS SPOILERS BECAUSE SPOIL SPOIL, risk:

12 episodes covers the backstory of the first 10 chapters maybe a little more.
Assume the movie gets Kei through the part where he washes ashore.
The second part of the movie covers his escape from that place he was in until the hit list and possibly through the manga currently.
The final movie ends the series with aftermaths showing what happened after the current manga arc and the future arc with everything tied up nicely.

convo

I almost forgot my favorite ANNcast-ism from this week. Grimgar fan targeting Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo for its sexism.
ANNcast-ism seem too strong for me to handle even though JesuOtaku brought Utena and Trigun to my attention and is great regardless of any site affiliation. I wonder if i can take a discussion with her and an extra ANN member.

Sterok

Aikatsu 167

Skips is still alive? Stop trying to make me like Sena. It's not happening. His favoritism of Akari is way too obvious. Lol, Madoka still can't get anything. Sigh, looks like Akari is going to win with her super special new dress/dance. Next time, will Nono and Risa finally get a new dance? Will Hinaki ever do something? Will Kaede and Shion confirm they're still alive? Does anyone remember DreAca or Mikuru?

I mainlined through 13 episodes and came out to what seems to be the first big conclusion to a story arc and i was simply happy about how strong Zenigata simply is. He gets some love. Goemon is a rather boring character, i liked his episode but i am glad he wasn't featured much so far.

Goemon's episode is probably my go-to example of the whole GLORIOUS NIPPON STEEL thing.

Like, the ending of the episode is insane, I can't believe he actually did that.

Jarmel

Banned
Taniguchi isn't an animator. If we're talking about directors/storyboarders, the first season had big names such as Kenji Kamiyama, Masayuki Miyaji, and Masahiro Ando.

Well I wasn't just thinking of Taniguchi although you're correct that he isn't an animator, I was lumping storyboarders and animators together. I should have just said staffers.

Maybe it's just the staffers are doing more distinctive work this season. For example Kamiyama's work on the first ED isn't particularly notable.

Narag

Well the episodes seem to be coming out now, and man Sherlock can eat it shit for all i care and never resume. I am happy even halfway through this. When Persona 5 comes out i will direct people to old Lupin and then this.

Should just send them to Lupin now so they can partake in something culturally relevant as opposed to the latest dating sim.

convo

Goemon's episode is probably my go-to example of the whole GLORIOUS NIPPON STEEL thing.

Like, the ending of the episode is insane, I can't believe he actually did that.
He is a super human assassin with a katana. I sipped my drink and quietly said Rules of Nature whenever he fucked shit up like nothing.

The Lupin episode from this week (15) happened to be the weakest one so far, that's why I didn't comment it.

edit:
Goemon's episode was one of the best Goemon's stories in the Lupinverse, imo. Usually he is the "weak link" of the group.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why do you still listen? Even I gave up on it. lol
Almost every other podcast I was listening to has turned into the most uninformed drivel imaginable, so ANNCast isn't really an outlier. I have them on while I'm getting ready for bed, so the commitment is usually pretty low.
If we're talking about the ANN podcast, this comment from it really gets to me.
They did in fact say this. For people so involved in the industry they kind of developed their own really dumb and twisted version of how things are produced.

convo

Should just send them to Lupin now so they can partake in something culturally relevant as opposed to the latest dating sim.

Hey now i rarely go to Persona threads because it's been the same characters for 7 years now mostly.But these games are more than that still. But when P5 will get the sort of theme of thieves going people will start to look elsewhere for similiar stuff. I don't like to force people because i don't have that much luck with recommending stuff to real people.

If we're talking about the ANN podcast, this comment from it really gets to me.

What? Then how come Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu and Erased so far look great animation wise? Saying this season has kinda bad animation is pretty weird. I mean every season has its bad and good. Though I find it funny they picked Phoenix Wright as an example.

Heck even Dimension W had some good animation even if some parts were cut short.

To be fair, most podcasts are terrible.

I think even if you fill a podcast with intelligent articulate people, you still only have 50/50 shot at that podcast being good.

Because most people can't consistently monitor what they're saying for an extended period of time. Not when they gotta keep the conversation flowing.

javac

My Blu-ray copy of Ghost in the Shell S.A.C should be here in a few days, no idea if I'll like the series or not but we shall see. Subs the way to go yeah?

Narag

Jigen's Gravestone was pretty good.

Also, I recently watched Fujiko Mine.

I didn't like it very much. I understand maybe the appeal of doing a Lupin series that more dark and presents the characters in a more hard edged manner.

But the second Inspector Zenigata seemed like he was trying to kill Lupin rather than catch them...
tumblr_m32bhy4rDT1qzqnxxo1_r1_500.gif

...was when I realize the show just wasn't that fun.

Also its ending is bizarre from a narrative standpoint.

Those are probably the two largest criticisms.

wonzo

Banned
"the movies this season don't have many scenes in them caus all the cameras a being used up by civil war & star wars" - hnn

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Rakugo 1

This is a really well made show but I don't think I can stick with it for long. The subject matter is just not interesting to me.

convo

Why Phoenix Wright though? I don't have any expectations from a game adaptation. Who knows where that budget came from? It could have been under a fridge.

Why Phoenix Wright though? I don't have any expectations from a game adaptation. Who knows where that budget came from?It could have been under a fridge.

The only shred of logic is that Phoenix Wright is popular so of course it will have an amazing production and great animators despite that never being the case

What does that even mean? How does anyone get the idea in their head that this is even happening

You'd think people who have talked about anime for years for a living would know better, but nope!

Why Phoenix Wright though? I don't have any expectations from a game adaptation. Who knows where that budget came from?It could have been under a fridge.

Both shows named are rather ridiculous examples. Attack on Titan S1 had some good animation but was a production nightmare, plus all of its staff are busy working on Attack on Train right now. And Ace Attorney... I don't even know why you'd expect good animation from a video game adaptation airing Saturday afternoons before Detective Conan. At least go with something like My Hero Academia, which has Umakoshi.

Jarmel

Banned
I do think AoT S2 will be better produced and will generally look better. They pushed it all the way back to Fall of this year so they don't have the 'rushed' excuse.

Then again it's also Wit so who knows.

kewlmyc

I have zero hope that the PW anime will be good. I'm expecting another Danganronpa anime. Acts as a decent summary of the game's story and that's it.

I'm a little late, but since it is January...

HakoMari would be a sweet anime.

I mean, it would never be as good as the book and adapting it would be near impossible to do in any way that does justice to the story.

But, just this once, I wouldn't mind watching someone fail.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom