• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
On the subject of Utawarerumono

This episode had a lot more of an impact than any episode of a GATE has, at least as far as portraying war goes. The remains of Maruharu and the silence of the scene was pretty strong. Now I'm not sure whether that means Utawarerumono is particularly effective at showing the effect of war or that GATE is particular bad in that aspect.

Utawarerumono 15

Why do these barbarians even bother messing around with Yamato if they're just going to get their asses handed to them, this was just a 25 minute montage of people getting bodied over and over!

It was also a montage of the same person getting bodied over and over again by the way, but from different camera angles. Just looked comical at some point.

Utawarerumono - 15

Goddamn, the Generals' abilities are so over the top! And that didn't even include the monster mask fireshooting hammerhead shark looking thing!

uVt1YAg.jpg

I'm trying to play through the Steins;Gate VN right now, and have a difficult time working up the motivation to continue due to Okabe. He has the worst sort of chuuni personality and his absurdly melodramatic voice acting makes me want to strangle him.

There's justification behind his behavior that gets revealed at some point.

Of course, knowing that might not be helpful anyways. SG only gets worse for me the more I think about it, after initially enjoying the show well enough.

So how dumb has GATE been this season?

Did the JSDF defeat Satan after America tried to release it on them, as there's no way they could possibly take them on in a fair fight?

So how dumb has GATE been this season?

Did the JSDF defeat Satan after America tried to release it on them, as there's no way they could possibly take them on in a fair fight?

The Empire hollowed out a bunch of dragons and used an elaborate system of mimes to pilot these new Hollow Dragon mechs. Each one is powered by the energy of bunny girls changing their state of mind at high speed.

3Kaze

What is particular looked like garbage? I didn't notice anything when I watched it this morning. No CGI Woptars, at the least.

Edit: It didn't look bad compared to the original Utawarerumono series, is what I mean. The CGI wasn't absurdly distracting and justifiable considering how many moving pieces they had on screen.

I'll admit it wasn't as exciting as the build up though.

The original Utawarerumono looked better to me, from chara-design to animation. It had a few episodes which stood out at least, while the 2nd series has been looking mediocre since the beginning except for the Itagaki episode (8, i think). The latest episode was the most action packed one, yet was either full of CG, a slideshow, or off-model during the only scene that looked like a fight, with awkward triple replay in slow motion. The last part looked fine though.

Taruranto

DRRR Season 45 Episode 4553 or something

Man, at this point there are so many characters and plot points I'm surprised the narrative still holds pretty well and doesn't collapse on itself.

Still, there is a constant sense of "Where the hell this story is heading", a lack of clear goals and objectives.

Man, at this point there are so many characters and plot points I'm surprised the narrative still holds pretty well and doesn't collapse on itself.

Still, there is a constant sense of "Where the hell this story is heading", a lack of clear goals and objectives.

I wonder if it's mainly the result of the adaptation or if the novels are just as incoherent. There's already a sequel novel series so I suspect most things won't be wrapped up, but maybe they can make good on a few character arcs for a change.

Ascheroth

I can't say I agree. There is a clear end goal in resolving the stuff with Mikado, since that has been basically the main plot thread this entire X2 season.
It's just that Durararara has a shitload of other secondary plot threads that all kinda feed into each other and this main thread somewhere down the line.

I can't say I agree. There is a clear end goal in resolving the stuff with Mikado, since that has been basically the main plot thread this entire X2 season.
It's just that Durararara has a shitload of other secondary plot threads that all kinda feed into each other and this main thread somewhere down the line.

Mikado, the guy that's had maybe 2 episodes of material since the Winter 2015 season ended. The show does a disservice to whatever they are attempting with his character by keeping him in limbo for such a long time, like most things.

Okabe's chuuni side is actually one of the few chuuni personalities I can actually tolerate.

Because other than it being used for comedic purposes, it's also a decent part of his character. He uses it to hide the fact that he's getting more and more freaked out about what they're doing with the time travel shenanigans and he doesn't want people knowing it or getting suspicious.

Most chuuni MCs just go "LOOK AT ME IM THE DARK FLAME MASTER" the whole show and have literally nothing else to them.

I'm fine with the general concept of Okabe trying to hide his fears with a fake persona, but the problem is that the persona itself (which he indulges in heavily even before the time travel matters become apparent) is very annoying to set through and makes it difficult for me to care about him. He might get more tolerable once things get more serious, like Luffy from One Piece does, but that isn't going to make me forgive his personality so far.

Really, the whole cast of Steins;Gate is full of irksome cliches. The ditzy childhood friend, the nya nya catgirl, the "but he's a boy tee hee" character, even Kurisu is too much of a tsundere for my tastes. I love time travel stories, but I'm unhappy with this one so far.

Jarmel

Banned
Luck and Logic-2
This is pretty bad in how all the girls, besides one who will eventually come around, already want to suck this guy's dick. The exposition and background was verbal noise. The only redeeming aspect of this episode was the twist with
the blonde-haired guy being a big chuuni
. I was getting annoyed with the show dragging that out and it being done for comedic values was pretty clever.

Haikyuu!! Season 2 Episode 15
tumblr_o12af7ewhx1qbxqfpo1_540.png
tumblr_o12af7ewhx1qbxqfpo2_540.png

Tsukkis new glasses do look amazing. Awesome upgrade for a match against one of my favorite minor teams. Johzenji is so active that its no wonder characters have to do some amazing. Hinata for mvp followed by Kags.

The song when their third year Hana san is speaking was the best song of the episode. I loved it.

Luck and Logic-2

This is pretty bad in how all the girls, besides one who will eventually come around, already want to suck this guy's dick. The exposition and background was verbal noise. The only redeeming aspect of this episode was the twist with
the blonde-haired guy being a big chuuni
. I was getting annoyed with the show dragging that out and it being done for comedic values was pretty clever.

The main character in Luck and Logic clearly cares about all the women in his life.

I don't get it. He was pretty tolerable in the first episode. Did somebody lose the script?

The main character in Luck and Logic clearly cares about all the women in his life.

I don't get it. He was pretty tolerable in the first episode. Did somebody lose the script?

What? I think its because hes the most senior in terms of trance time and clearly the bona fide leader. Not to mention its their fault for not telling him the secret.

Gvitor

Erased 02

I'm sold in this show now. I loved this episode so much, time flew by. Even the MC got way better imprisoned in his own mind. It's great seeing the contrast of an apathetic 28yr old man doing the rationalizing in the mind, with his happy, cheerful, smiling child counterpart asking for a birthday party at the same time. Can't wait for more.

Haikyuu! S2 14

I didn't like Johzenji, but the match had some great moments. Hopefully next week's better. Tsukki's new glasses are nice, and the scene with Nishinoya and Tanaka asking Kiyoko to spank them was great.

Nisemonogatari 08 the toothbrush episode

...Why?

convo

Lupin III (2015) 1-13
Holy fucking shit , i haven't been this thrilled since marathoning Ippo and Planets and even Gurren Lagann. Where is the the discussion i have been missing?! Please someone direct me to the old disussion of this.
I know this had a italien run and most of it is out already i think. But this series has been so fucking good. This has become my anime of 2015 whatever else may come in future episodes, the time i have spent so far i will cherish forever. I need some rest to go on further.

Narag

Lupin III (2015) 1-13

Holy fucking shit , i haven't been this thrilled since marathoning Ippo and Planets and even Gurren Lagann. Where is the the discussion i have been missing?! Please someone direct me to the old disussion of this.
I know this had a italien run and most of it is out already i think. But this series has been so fucking good. This has become my anime of 2015 whatever else may come in future episodes, the time i have spent so far i will cherish forever. I need some rest to go on further.

There hasn't been much discussion of it at all since no one had put the first half up until a couple weeks ago.

Jarmel

Banned
Pandora-2
This was still surprisingly funny. The show works best when it's a full blown comedy as it doesn't have the budget/animators to be a good action series. Even during 'serious' moments, the comedy is a welcome relief and gives the show more character than it would otherwise.
eZLB28x.jpg

The TFA should have had the Starkiller assault explained as such.
Clarion is the highlight of the cast due to her deadpan expressions and faces. I could watch a show centered around her and Nene doing shit in an everyday environment. Hopefully that's where the show is headed with the bowling ball issue resolved.
The faces are so good. I also like the music in the OP even if the visuals are lackluster. ED still heartwarming.

This post brought to you by:
SpacePope.png

Mature

Lupin III (2015) 1-13

It's had a very irregular release, so it's not surprising that it's slipped under a few radars. Glad to see others are enjoying it though, I really like it.

Russ T

Banned
Lupin III (2015) 1-13

It really is good isn't it. So fucking good. I'm glad SOMEONE finally picked it up for streaming, even if it was a whole season behind.

Clov

I found the new Lupin to be a bit of a mixed bag. There are some episodes that are fantastic, while others are just alright. My favorites have been the episodes focusing on Lupin and Zenigata. Zenigata's great in Part IV; still very comical, but not entirely incompetent.

The scattered release definitely hurt the reception of the new Lupin, but even those impressions I saw from the Italian and Japanese airings have mostly been talking about it being rather bland, so I haven't personally been motivated to seek it out.

convo

The first few episodes of the new Lupin III underwhelmed me, and there's been no hype to drive any new interest.

Well the episodes seem to be coming out now, and man Sherlock can eat it shit for all i care and never resume. I am happy even halfway through this. When Persona 5 comes out i will direct people to old Lupin and then this.

Sterok

Komugi R 2

Bicycle safety ads are dark. Kokona is a pure and innocent idol. Also an evil maid. I hope everyone keeps their identities secret from one another for as long as possible.

convo

I found the new Lupin to be a bit of a mixed bag. There are some episodes that are fantastic, while others are just alright. My favorites have been the episodes focusing on Lupin and Zenigata. Zenigata's great in Part IV; still very comical, but not entirely incompetent.

I'd agree that some episodes aren't that great but yes Zenigata is the man of mans. LupinxZenigata the true OTP. I am laughing at the possible outcomes of future episodes and it can go places. But whatever i don't care i am loving this shit.

Russ T

Banned
The scattered release definitely hurt the reception of the new Lupin, but even those impressions I saw from the Italian and Japanese airings have mostly been talking about it being rather bland, so I haven't personally been motivated to seek it out.

I honestly can't imagine why anyone would say that, unless they're just not into the Lupin thing period. It's my favorite Lupin by far.

Just for the sake of saying it, my previous favorite was definitely green jacket. Red is too goofy, just way too goofy. I haven't seen pink, though.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Same. On the ANNcast from this week Lupin was highlighted as the best new thing from this season though. Straight from the mouth of someone who thought Fujiko Mine was the previous best Lupin thing. Now I don't know if I'll ever watch it. :)

e_i

Garakowa

That was pretty good. The plot kind of made sense.
So, Sumire was Violet's mother and Remo's grandmother?
I guess that
all the backups were the human's brains back upped to computer system and they wanted their lives back...or something?

Haikyuu S2 15

Man I lost my shit when Hinata jumped off the wall lol

I honestly can't imagine why anyone would say that, unless they're just not into the Lupin thing period. It's my favorite Lupin by far.

Just for the sake of saying it, my previous favorite was definitely green jacket. Red is too goofy, just way too goofy. I haven't seen pink, though.

I watched 8 or so episodes and it's not good. Even the oldest Lupin series is more entertaining and engaging then the 2015 one which has trouble even telling a story in 20 minutes. None of those episodes were as creative or focused as the prison break one from Part 1, because 2015 has no focus. I hardly even know what the main plot of the episode is most of the time because it branches off into 5 different directions for little reason.

convo

Same. On the ANNcast from this week Lupin was highlighted as the best new thing from this season though. Straight from the mouth of someone who thought Fujiko Mine was the previous best Lupin thing. Now I don't know if I'll ever watch it. :)
I bailed out of Fujiko Mine before things got really weird but for this one i wouldn't even be mad if it stopped at the point i am. Things can go apeshit for all i care right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom