• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Blade

Kotonoha-no-Niwa.png

Well...like I say in my previous post, I just finish this movie today and got to say I can see why people like Makoto Shinkai work as the animation of this movie look beautiful to breathtaking. They're not kidding when people say some of the shots look photo realistic. You don't often see this style of animation now and in a way this make it more unique and special when you do see it shown.

As for the story line, it's very simple to follow and not too hard to understand. The general idea is you follow the main male character,Takao, who skipped school every time they is a rainstorm to the park garden. At the garden, he met a woman call Yukino and bought talk a bit and without any warming, both come by the park every time they is a rainstorm and see each other. During each meet up, they start to talk more and know each other which deepen their relationship and open up about themselves. I won't go anymore from there but it's very simple to follow and understand. Eventually, you found out more about Yukino and the incident and the emotional scene at the end which make it more special to see. If you know Makoto Shinkai work, you should know by now he never have a happy ending and yea, this have the same feel at the end. Even with this, how it conclude fit quite well to the movie and you do hope both of them will meet together once more. I guess if it end the way we want, it feel generic as we expect it. Also, a bit weird because of the age (I guess they is Hentai for that idea if you want that).

For character development, they manage to flesh them out quite well in the short amount of time.

Another thing I like is how little dialogue both character have when they meet but somehow they manage to know each other by the moving and scene of the show. A very useful way to tell the story and it work quite well here.

Overall, love the movie and would recommend people to go watch it. It isn't long (46 min) which is a good thing if you're in a tight time frame. Also, with the simple style story, you won't get confuse of what is happening in the movie.

You don't particularly need to see the original in order to really like Fumoffu, but it'd definitely help. The first season of FMP is definitely the weakest, though.

All you really need to know is that Sousuke Sagara is a super-serious military soldier boy who's been transferred to a high school (with no modern high school experience) to protect Kaname Chidori, who constantly gets annoyed by the crazy extremes he goes to to protect her in every situation.

The entirety of Fumoffu consists of those kinds of antics with absolutely no mecha action IIRC. It's hilarious.

EDIT: Also watch it dubbed.

Aye, I'd likely skip the stuff beforehand then.

Dubbed though... does everyone agree the dub is great?

KazenY2J

Phantom World 01:
I enjoyed it at least, KyoAni saves this to be honest.

The reactions to Haruchika elsewhere are another stark reminder of how homophobic the anime community can be.
Reminds me of the reaction that infamous SSY episode when it first aired.

Jarmel

Banned
Phantom World-1
So this is the latest Ishihara work and it's the trashiest thing to come from KyoAni yet. Even ignoring these trashy elements, I feel there are still problems (some that will hopefully be resolved after the first couple of episodes) while also displaying some small level of promise as well.
I'll start off with the positives, I like the visual direction more than I was expecting to. I thought it would look much worse visually coming off the pre-airing material and was expecting a lot more post-processing. It's visually vibrant and contains some really nice designs for the phantoms. The world itself looks like something out of Minecraft and the earlier scenes where the show played with the perception of the world were kinda cool. The setting is fairly interesting and there is potential to have some really fun episodes ala the 6th episode of Kyoukai no Kanata. Hopefully the show retains that sort of playful attitude as it goes on as that's it's only real strength. The notion of not everything being resolved by fighting prevents it from feeling too much like a clone of 'pick any chuuni title in the past five years'.
j3v8M3s.jpg

This is when I checked out.
Amagi never made me feel this dirty and that contained a shot of a naked ass and girls in bikinis doing a promo. It's just so juvenile that it detracts from the rest of the show and makes me question what I'm doing with my life. It's kinda surreal and hilarious as Gatoh and Takemoto got into an argument about boob bounce in Amagi with Gatoh losing and yet here we are a little over a year later. This was an episode that had a climax involving a person timing the bounce of their boobs with going under a limbo bar. Feels like I watched something out of High School of the Dead. Besides that, the directing felt haphazard and chaotic with things just rushing and clashing together with little time for things to breathe or really any sort of atmosphere to build. There was also really clunky dialogue and I mean super goddamn clunky. "You know this already but let me tell you this rudimentary information anyway" is just so lazy of a handwave when a writer can't figure out how to introduce writing elements organically into a work. I expect the exposition though to go away as it always does in works like this, it's just that this felt so unusually bad in this episode.
latest

latest

2/4 possible character potential so far
There was no character work done so a person reading a summary of the characters before watching the show would have just as much understanding as after watching the episode. I find the two leads to be as dull as ice water with the only characters having sort of flair are Kirby and Genie. I liked Kirby's power and how it was visually done, while Genie's commentary and overall enthusiasm helped to spice up the boring lead.

If it wasn't for KyoAni's visual direction, I would probably dump this in the bin and watch something of value. Oh and the OP is bland, just the typical Ishihara VN stuff.

John Blade

I guess girl with big tits is the next new thing in new animated show now.....are we missing anything from that now?

Aye, I'd likely skip the stuff beforehand then.

Dubbed though... does everyone agree the dub is great?

The dub features Luci Christian and Chris Patton as the two leads, if you're familiar with them, and I could tell that they have a blast playing the roles. The dub adds a new layer of energy to the show and makes it more fun.

CorvoSol and ShinRPGGamer would definitely agree with me. Corvo's the one that convinced me to watch the dub.

duckroll

I see Jarmel would rather post long ass posts about shitty worthless KyoAni shows just because they're new, rather than watch the shows he bothered to create OTs for. Typical.

Yamishibai S2 04

This is why I liked Kagewani's approach to some of the monsters - never really showing you the full body shot, or giving you a full idea of what it actually was.

That way your creepy wall crawling monster lady stays creepy -

and doesn't just look like a fuckin goofball.

Get out of here Michael Jackson.

mdubs

Banned
Figures that I start watching airing anime again outside of watching Haikyu and Baby Steps over the past few seasons, and walk straight into Phantom World.

I also watched Haruchika, meh

John Blade

Just crossing the show I am done watching on my list.

10 Animes I want to get done in 2016

Sakura Wars Franchise (only the North American release as they is two that didn't come here)
Godnannar
Great Teacher Onizuka
Ninja Scroll
The Garden of Words - DONE
Children Who Chase Lost Voices
Royal Space Force The Wings of Honneamine
Watamote
Clannad Franchise
Rahxephon Franchise - DONE

Dragon Ball Z: The World's Strongest

Dragon.Ball.Z.The.Worlds.Strongest.1990.720p.BluRay.x264-CiNEFiLE.mkv_000738.727_1.png

These are not the Saibamen you're looking for.

So usually when the Dragon Ball movies get talked about, The World's Strongest isn't really brought up. Which is a shame because it's actually pretty underrated IMO.

The only similarities it has with the show are the Saibamen expies as well as Dr Wheelo and the Bio Warriors being essentially prototypes to Dr Gero and the Androids. Other than that, it's largely original plot-wise. It starts off pretty slow but once Goku arrives at Wheelo's base it picks up the pace and becomes a fun watch.

In terms of action, it does its job well. The now neglected Kaio-ken (Pronounced incorrectly in the dub BTW) is utilized well and the more unique scenario's in the film help keep me engaged. In particular, the scene where Goku has to navigate though an array of spike balls is something not really seen in Dragon Ball. So overall, It's a pretty good watch.

And I think that will be all I'll watch for today. Dead Zone has the better action scenes while World's Strongest has the better story. Overall both are pretty close quality wise.

Jarmel

Banned
Towa no Quon-1 aka Amagi Brilliant Park Caboose Edition
AZDC3u1.jpg

Where have I seen this shot before? Hmmm
The real highlight of the episode is the phenomenal action due to Nakamura. The action was super good and is reminiscent of his Sword of the Stranger work rather than his more recent TV animation. The episode had really good effects animation such as water droplets and solid choices of camera angles. The fighting felt much more dynamic than I expected it to be, even for an OVA series.
I'm not so positive on the writing side as it feels a X-Men/Darker than Black/Amagi Brilliant Park mashup. You can tell X-Men was a heavy influence for the show and that they took the DtB aspect of Contractors suffering penalties for using their abilities. While not particularly novel, the setting largely works fine for the time being.
I really liked the storyboarding in this sequence as it felt like a superhero launch sequence while also having some really cool visual elements such as the town/city(?) being built up in the background. I'm guessing he's some sort of immortal and that's probably his penalty as the show doesn't establish any other particular one. Good visual direction with the colors and beams too.
Not sure how I feel about any of the characters at this point. The lead feels like Shirou and the others at Garden Brilliant Park feel like I've seen them in other shows made by BONES. The dude with the beard seems like he walked in from Xam'd. I find the Sentinels Cyborg side to be more interesting to me, I particularly liked that conversation Rookie-kun had with the doctor. I can also see the stuff surrounding Shirou to potentially get annoying as he'll probably end up doing something stupid that results in a bodycount.
I wasn't feeling this storyline at alllllllllllll. Of course the grandmother passes out the one day she isn't there. Of course. The only moment I liked involving her was the deadpan expression she gave the stripper when the stripper said to make sure she looked good when she was dead.
Solid direction and phenomenal action have made this a decent watch so far. We'll see whether the writing collapses or not.

Iron Blooded Orphans is getting many positive points because they have a chubby character that isn't

A. voiced by a guy doing a disgusting pig voice
B. Defined by his weight
C. An otaku pervert

Seriously this is rare as fuck

Clov

If what's being said about HaruChika is true, I'm a bit tempted to watch it. Can't think of many anime that aren't shounen ai that have a gay lead. It would make me very happy to see it done well! At the same time, impressions here have been pretty negative. Is it really that bad?

Iron Blooded Orphans is getting many positive points because they have a chubby character that isn't

B. Defined by his weight
C. An otaku pervert

You know, I never actually thought about that. Good on Sunrise!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

B. Defined by his weight
C. An otaku pervert

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

What is up with that. Pony tails at the front of the head.

Major LN Spoilers
She's a personification of Satan - who is the mastermind of the entire show. The forward ponytails are how humanity see her horns when she hides in human form.

I have no clue. It's pretty unique as far as character design goes, for better or worse.

Phatmac

B. Defined by his weight
C. An otaku pervert

The best character of last year was fat so I'm glad my people are getting more recognition in anime.

Major LN Spoilers
She's a personification of Satan - who is the mastermind of the entire show. The forward ponytails are how humanity see her horns when she hides in human form.

I have no clue. It's pretty unique as far as character design goes, for better or worse.

Anime has gone too far.

Jarmel

Banned
Major LN Spoilers

what the fuck

what the fuck

what the fuck

Major LN Spoilers

confusion-gif.gif

Clov

The official site for the March Comes in Like a Lion anime has opened. It reveals that it will air on NHK in the fall. There is also a comment from the manga author, Chica Umino, which best as I can read it says that she's a big fan of Shaft's work on Bakemonogatari, Madoka, Arakawa, and SZS, and didn't want her manga adapted unless it was by Shaft and Shinbo.

Fall's quite a bit of a wait! Still, looking forward to it. Interesting that she requested Shaft personally. Hope it turns out great!

ibyea

Banned
Major LN Spoilers

lol

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
This is worse than Nyarlothep.

Major LN Spoilers

Why are people reacting to this like the 2nd quote doesn't exist? Or did not you just make this all up?

Mature

Major LN Spoilers

ahhhHahahahahahahahaha

Check out this kuhraaazy juxtaposition.

Phatmac

Major LN Spoilers

Someone should remember this and if you're right you should get a reward of somekind.

Jarmel

Banned
Why are people reacting to this like the 2nd quote doesn't exist? Or did not you just make this all up?

I don't know if the second line was about the actual character designs in the show as in why they did it that way or whether it was nullifying the first line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom