• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Droplet

Hey hosanna, looking at your Sound Euphonium review and is Gauche the Cellist worth checking out? I couldn't stand Nodame or Your Lie, but I'd be willing to give anything about music that's actually accurate a chance even if it wasn't that good otherwise (I watched and enjoyed Free, I will really do it!).

On another note, is Haruchika any good?

I honestly can't get worked up about the AOTY ranking because 2015 has been an overall mediocre year aside from a few series.

Hell Erased and Rakugo has had a far better start than most if not all the series in 2015. That's not to say these two shows won't shit the bed because they can. However, both these series have shown more promise than the entirety of 2015. Plus this is just the start of winter for 2016 when there's still an abundance of promising anime like A silent Voice, Diamond is Unbreakable, D.Gray-Man, Handa-kun (if it airs in 2016), Stray Dogs, Mob Psycho, and etc.

Man has 2015 been piss poor.

Quasar

I mean, if we're going rank shows based on fun, I would rank JoJo far higher than a food shounen with exploitative fanservice.

Well thats what I do. Things I had the most fun/enjoyment get on my list. I'm not going to put things on there that were not enjoyable but technically better.

Hey hosanna, looking at your Sound Euphonium review and is Gauche the Cellist worth checking out? I couldn't stand Nodame or Your Lie, but I'd be willing to give anything about music that's actually accurate a chance even if it wasn't that good otherwise (I watched and enjoyed Free, I will really do it!).

Yes, Gauche the Cellist is one of Isao Takahata's best works. It was completely animated by one man, and he actually learned the rudiments of playing the cello so that he could animate the movements of the cellist accurately. It's a simple story that does a good job of exploring what makes a good musician, set in a rural folk setting. Essential watching for anyone.

Quasar

I honestly can't get worked up about the AOTY ranking because 2015 has been an overall mediocre year aside from a few series.

I thought it was a decent year. Amusingly I just listened to the Anime World Order look back at the year and they felt it was quite a good year.

I guess I cant complain about the results much. 5 of my picks got in the overall top 10.

As expected only Firehawk and I voted for Tamayura.

2015 was pretty good. There were a lot of shows I liked from a variety of genres, and while there wasn't a standout 10/10 show I had a lot of 9/10s.

Also I watched all of Monogatari, Gintama and Utena so that was good

Principate

Saint Titanfall

Hell Erased and Rakugo has had a far better start than most if not all the series in 2015. That's not to say these two shows won't shit the bed because they can. However, both these series have shown more promise than the entirety of 2015. Plus this is just the start of winter for 2016 when there's still an abundance of promising anime like A silent Voice, Diamond is Unbreakable, D.Gray-Man, Handa-kun (if it airs in 2016), Stray Dogs, Mob Psycho, and etc.

There was little in the way of standouts, though I really enjoyed Garo, since it was the best dark fantasy not named berserk in years and it actually bothered to do some research on how life was like in the dark/middle ages.

That's fine. I'm watching Wakako-zake at the moment and I'm not too big on it. It's probably a lot more meaningful if you've been to the kind of Japanese restaurants it's highlighting, but I have no experience with them and the food isn't gone into in any detail due to the short length, so I can't care. I don't even particularly like the voice Sawashiro is using for the main character. The backgrounds are nice though.

I thought it was meaningful in spite of me not going to the Japanese restaurants it was highlighting. I saw it more as someone just enjoying eating out after work and I could apply what happened in an episode to me going to any restaurant. Although I do agree that if the episodes were slightly longer (5-7 minutes or so) it probably would've improved it.

Yes, Gauche the Cellist is one of Isao Takahata's best works. It was completely animated by one man, and he actually learned the rudiments of playing the cello so that he could animate the movements of the cellist accurately. It's a simple story that does a good job of exploring what makes a good musician, set in a rural folk setting. Essential watching for anyone.

Now this I didn't know. My appreciation for that film has grown even more now!

Ascheroth

Stride - 05

Holy shit those fucking third year at the Honan stride club were fucking bastards. No wonder no one wanted to join the club anymore
yeah I know that the reason for that is technically something else, but who cares

You got bluffed by the enemy relationer, resulting into a crash and one of your runners hurting his foot and what's your response?
Denying everything and kicking the hurt foot because 'he should stop pretending to be hurt'.
What an insufferable asshole. You don't need enemies with a team like that.

Also
based Kuga shouldering the injustice.

Aki-at

The anime list doesn't really bother me, just thought it was a fun diversion/good way to check out any animes I might have missed. I'm sad that Assassination Classroom is so low down in the list but oh well, I enjoyed it and that's all that matters. (And the fact it has a second season)

Personally thought 2015 was a fantastic year and I was really only into 5 shows, which is more than enough for me.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
If JoJo's pacing was better, I might have liked it more.

SDC moved at snails pace, I mean sometime after season one I couldn't stand (no pun) the stand of the week format anymore. There was no overarching purpose over than Dio is off in Egypt, he sends stand users after Jojo and crew, the end. Both the original and battle tendency, had more to it than that (they were also much shorter which helps a ton).

Clov

Seconding this. My favorite pre-Ghibli Takahata film by far.

A Ancient Magus Bride anime may possibly happen.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/daily-briefs/2016-02-01/magus-bride.jp-domain-registered-under-mag-garden-name/.98207

I know this has been posted already but damn I really want KyoAni to animate it so bad. It would most likely be one of their best animated TV series if done well.

Or even the staff that's animating Snow White from Studio Bones would be great.

It should be noted that since this website is registered by Mag Garden, which is a publisher and not an anime production company, it's possible this is just for a portal site for the manga and not a sign of an anime adaptation.

Schwarzesmarken 04

SR1IojN.jpg
MQt9yiZ.jpg
Second best TSFs in the Muv-Luv universe.

sonicmj1

Didn't realize there was so much specific animus towards the new Gundam. Though I can't blame people for being upset that it just beat out Yuri Kuma Arashi.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
JoJo will have its day because Diamond is Unbreakable is way better then Phantom Blood, Battle Tendency or Stardust Crusaders

Prepare yourself now for the Titanbro contingent of the Jojo fanbase to complain about Diamond Is Unbreakable being "filler".

Prepare yourself now for the Titanbro contingent of the Jojo fanbase to complain about Diamond Is Unbreakable being "filler".

I'd normally be one of those people with other stuff as far as that formula goes, but part 4 is legit. It being non-linear without an ever-escalating central conflict works in its favor.

ibyea

Banned
I am okay with this AotY list. Shirobako got another chance at the spotlight, Death Parade made it in, and One Punch Man won because it's a show a lot of people enjoyed.

Aki-at

ERASED 3 - 4
Now it's getting real interesting. I'm really liking the characters to this show, the grounded relationship and how it's moving forward, I'm enjoying how the friends are interacting with each other, Satoru's determination to save Yuuki too and above all else his relationship with Hinazuki, really happy to see her smile for once. Definitely becoming my favourite show at the moment.
That ending and the final line... Fantastic. Though am I the only one thinking that after all this time Satoru is trying to save a girl one of his best friends is soon to be murdered too?

Ping Pong - 1
Really great direction, very unfortunate art direction for me. It's a shame, I'd have liked this a lot more if the style was a lot less rough :<

Will continue to watch it for a couple of episodes though.

I am okay with this AotY list. Shirobako got another chance at the spotlight, Death Parade made it in, and One Punch Man won because it's a show a lot of people enjoyed.

What I noticed is the winner every successive year is growing in the number of votes it receives (And well the general top 10) so nice to see the community is growing.

Sakura

Was feeling bored so decided to start watching Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.
It's kind of rubbish so I don't know if I will keep watching, but the OP was really cute!

On another note, is Haruchika any good?

It is not.
The main girl is kind of cute though.

Cornbread78

Was feeling bored so decided to start watching Hentai Ouji to Warawanai Neko.
It's kind of rubbish so I don't know if I will keep watching, but the OP was really cute!

It goes off the rails a little, but it's a pretty fun after all is said and done.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Yuri Kuma was solid and while it didn't reach the highs of Penduindrum, it didn't fall apart either.

Bring the World Revolution > Survival Strategy > Kuma Shock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom