• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I got this in the mail today
CayO4TiUEAAVo5t.jpg

Bought it even if I don't like the show that much :p

Taruranto

Spiderwoman #5
m'lady

I'm actually enjoying this season much more than the previous one. While I do enjoy DRRR colorful cast, in retrospect the past season really spent way too much time wandering around.

This season introduced a villain that takes thing in her own hands (Instead of Izaya sitting in his office going keikaku doori every 5 seconds), and even managed to be a serious treat to the show most untouchable character
Celty.

Granted I doubt
Shinra's possession will last, given that Saika seems to work on OLEV, he's probably going to break free from the spell. Also isn't his dad immune to it or something?

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
btw, calling it now. aoty 2016
Has AotY ever been accurately guessed at such an early stage in a show's life? (heck, most AotY predictions have been wrong even during the voting period) OPM if I recall, actually had a tepid reception upon its first showing.

Well, I got this in the mail today

Bought it even if I don't like the show that much :p

Season 1 was fine. Season 2 was just boring. The show isn't offensively bad or anything, it's just that after finishing Season 2 I feel like we were back to where we were originally at the end of the first season. It all felt like fluff.

phaze

Spiderwoman #5

m'lady

I'm actually enjoying this season much more than the previous one. While I do enjoy DRRR colorful cast, in retrospect the past season really spent way too much time wandering around.

This season introduced a villain that takes thing in her own hands (Instead of Izaya sitting in his office going keikaku doori every 5 seconds), and even managed to be a serious treat to the show most untouchable character
Celty.

^ Dropped it at the of first (aka third?) cour. Is there some progress on Celty's head?

Oh and I think I remember seeing that the first Saiko psycho came back, is it true? I liked her😏

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Mob Psycho is going to get a lot of the OPM crowd so I think it's a lock-in unless the adaptation is bad/unfunny.

I can't think of anything in 2016 that can compete. Koe no Katachi would take it easy if it was a series but it's not.

Haibane Renmei 13 END

Yeah that was a good series even if it took a while to grow on me. The uniqueness and somber tone does it a lot of favors and it never tries to play up any sort of melodrama or higher stakes so it purely relies on its strengths. I felt genuinely bad for Reki so that's probably an accomplishment.

Mob Psycho is going to get a lot of the OPM crowd so I think it's a lock-in unless the adaptation is bad/unfunny.

I can't think of anything in 2016 that can compete. Koe no Katachi would take it easy if it was a series but it's not.

Moaradin

Hero Academy will be really popular unless the adaption is bad or something.

[Mujin Wakusei Survive] - 01~05

SJ18vnD.jpg

Planet Earth has become uninhabitable, and people started to live in colonies on other planets. On a school field trip, the protagonists are thrown through a gravity storm and crash land on a seemingly uninhabited planet and their fight for survival begins.
At first, the protagonists think they may have crashed on a past Earth, but it's obviously Australia:
m5r919F.jpg
C4Um9RU.jpg

They are so dead!

I don't really see a good reason they had to go to the escape pods to do the emergency warp.
The anime reminds me of Digimon. But they don't have digimons to fight against Australia( two giant animals, and one man eating plant already), just a "Tailmon" (ok, ok, a cat pet robot) to help with technical problems.
I don't really like the voices of Menori and Sharla, they don't sound like kids, but I like Howard and I like the character desings too.
The ending, "Sunny Side Hill", performed by Round Table featuring Nino is nice.

You're talking about popularity, I assume (since that is what AOTY voting is based on), not personal preference? Does Koe no Katachi really have enough popularity with the Western anime periphery crowd that it could beat out all the other 2016 anime with in-built fans?

jordisok

Hmm just watched episode 23 of Natsume Yujin-Cho, which is an absolutely beautiful episode btw, but it kinda felt like the animation changed?? I'm usually not v good at noticing these kind of things though, maybe it was just a bit of extra effort/different direction. Natsume looked a bit more like his manga self (basc prettier). Quick search turned up nothing about it :( probably my tired mind lmao

You're talking about popularity, I assume (since that is what AOTY voting is based on), not personal preference? Does Koe no Katachi really have enough popularity with the Western anime periphery crowd that it could beat out all the other 2016 anime with in-built fans?

Naw seems like the only KyoAni shows that get popular in the west are the shit ones like KnK and Chuu

Has no chance again Mob Psycho, JoJo, My Hero Academia and new trigger meme show

edit: I just looked at Spring and who allowed this??? its packed

Jarmel

Banned
The best thing about Trigger working with Okada is that more people are going to be watching BRS Mk.2 just because of the Trigger name.

Can't wait.

ryan-reynolds.gif

more than 'better' I'd say it's fitting, seems like they perfectly nailed the style of the manga and I wouldn't want it to look any different. no Murata's magic hand to work with this time around

No, it's definitely better.

Better backgrounds:

Better layouts:

Better colors. Better character designs. Better overall stylization. Better music. I haven't read either manga, but from people who have, Mob Psycho should have better writing too. It just looks like a superior product in every way.

That was made for just the PV and isn't exactly indicative of what the show will normally look like.

It's safe to assume that that's the style the Hero Academia anime team is aiming for, at any rate. The first Attack on Titan PV was pre-animated, and that accurately reflected the style of the show proper, even if the show proper had a lot of production issues that prevented it from fully realizing its visual potential.

Osomatsu-san Episode 2

Anime club is watching so its really the only reason I am watching beyond episode one. I just cant get into humor like this at times, though its has some fun moments. Ichimatsu, Juicymatsu and Karamatsu are favorites (ichimatsu and karamatsu give the best moments, karamatsu on the bridge with the shades and the girls then being scared into the water, lol, ichimatsu and the cat).

Naw seems like the only KyoAni shows that get popular in the west are the shit ones like KnK and Chuu

Has no chance again Mob Psycho, JoJo, My Hero Academia and new trigger meme show

edit: I just looked at Spring and who allowed this??? its packed

By a quick count:

Spring 2015: 49 TV anime
Spring 2016: 53(+) TV anime

When will the expansion cease?!

Jarmel

Banned
It's safe to assume that that's the style the Hero Academia anime team is aiming for, at any rate. The first Attack on Titan PV was pre-animated, and that accurately reflected the style of the show proper, even if the show proper had a lot of production issues that prevented it from fully realizing its visual potential.

My question is how the backgrounds and layouts will generally look like. The PV doesn't really give a clear indication of that. It does demonstrate the quality of the character animation for sure but at this point I'm more curious about the side details.

By a quick count:

Spring 2015: 49 TV anime
Spring 2016: 53(+) TV anime

When will the expansion cease?!

Just at a glance I'll be watching or at least giving a shot these -

Bakuon (wait I think this might actually be a K-ON clone)
My Hero Academia
Bungou Stray Dogs
Flying Witch
Ace Attorney
JoJo Part 4
Kiznaiver
not attack on titan
Macross
Sakamoto desu ga
Ushio and Tora S2
Kagewani
Bahamut lesbians
Imaishi thing

Why this? I'm still gonna be watchin Dragon Ball Super and Gintama (I think) too
latest

Just at a glance I'll be watching or at least giving a shot these -

Bakuon (wait I think this might actually be a K-ON clone)
My Hero Academia
Bungou Stray Dogs
Flying Witch
Ace Attorney
JoJo Part 4
Kiznaiver
not attack on titan
Macross
Sakamoto desu ga
Ushio and Tora S2
Kagewani
Bahamut lesbians
Imaishi thing

Why this? I'm still gonna be watchin Dragon Ball Super and Gintama (I think) too

It sounds like you have your hands full, but I would highly recommend you at least take a glance at Joker Game, Kumamiko, and Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge.

more than 'better' I'd say it's fitting, seems like they perfectly nailed the style of the manga and I wouldn't want it to look any different. no Murata's magic hand to work with this time around

Naw if The Ancient Magus Bride actually gets a anime adaption, it would crush it just by writing alone. Although that's if it airs in 2016 or even get an anime. However, there may be a possibility due to the recent news.

Hopefully if it does get an anime, it's done by KyoAni. It's about time they adapt another solid series other than A Silent Voice and maybe Euphonium.

Clov

It sounds like you have your hands full, but I would highly recommend you at least take a glance at Joker Game, Kumamiko, and Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge.

Interested in the first two, but Tanaka-kun doesn't seem very interesting from the description. Why is this one a stand-out?

Anyway, apart from those first two I'll be watching Jojo's, Pan de Peace, and Ace Attorney. Might watch Flying Witch, and maybe I'll see what Imaishi's directing to see if it will be any good this time.

No, it's definitely better.

Better backgrounds:

Better layouts:

Better colors. Better character designs. Better overall stylization. Better music. I haven't read either manga, but from people who have, Mob Psycho should have better writing too. It just looks like a superior product in every way.

Serious question, have you watched past the first episode? They're completely different beats, at least until Mob gets super shouneny a little later on.

And we're going to need to hear more before we decide on better music. OPM has an absolutely amazing soundtrack that works incredibly well with what's going on. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Mob's was better.

And as far as action and framing goes, I'd definitely put OPM over Mob, even the ONE version even if the latter has better art as it's actually serialized. They're both great, but the sense of speed and weight in OPM is far more balanced than in Mob.

Writing, well that's subjective, but I'd say Mob does have the better story, but OPM has the better cast.

Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb 6-7

I really like how the series is laying the groundwork for graduation, with Hiro pondering her future career path and Yuno meeting up with a graduated friend. It's a good way to explore the life changes that happen with an event as significant as high school graduation, and the people you either leave or manage to stay in contact with afterwards.

Interested in the first two, but Tanaka-kun doesn't seem very interesting from the description. Why is this one a stand-out?

The teaser PV, as simple as it is, has a nice relaxing atmosphere (that music!), which the Non Non Biyori director seems like a good choice to pull off. It won't be anything flashy, but it could be a very pleasant healing watch.

Gvitor

Grimgar 02

This show has no right being this good. It's based on one of the most cliché genres of the last 5 years, and yet... it's refreshing?

Again, like episode 01, I appreciate that they had the climax early on so the rest of the episode could be dedicated to everything else and end on a soft note. I particulary liked that despite falling in the old "guys spying on girls in the bath" trope they didn't go the ecchi route and didn't show us the girls. (despite having a Sinon-like ass shot of Yume early in the episode, lol)

The music scene around the middle was the best part. I feel like I could watch an entire episode of music playing while they silently go around their daily routine. It's just very relaxing and of course, the artstyle helped there too. And, when they do switch to action, it's accompanied by some great songs in there as well. The one that played in the Goblin combat was pretty good.

I'm enjoying this a lot. Apparently it's based on a light novel, so I wouldn't be surprised if we get this season and that's it. Hopefully it gets a satisfying end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom