• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serious question, have you watched past the first episode? They're completely different beats, at least until Mob gets super shouneny a little later on.

And we're going to need to hear more before we decide on better music. OPM has an absolutely amazing soundtrack that works incredibly well with what's going on. I'd be pleasantly surprised if Mob's was better.

And as far as action and framing goes, I'd definitely put OPM over Mob, even the ONE version even if the latter has better art as it's actually serialized. They're both great, but the sense of speed and weight in OPM is far more balanced than in Mob.

Writing, well that's subjective, but I'd say Mob does have the better story, but OPM has the better cast.

I'm not comparing the manga, because I have no real experience with them, but the anime. The One Punch Man anime is an average production that happens to have a bunch of good animators working on it, so there's some crazy animation sequences but no strong creative vision from the top. The Mob Psycho 100 anime, on the other hand, looks to have that strong creative vision, along the lines of something like Yuasa's Ping Pong, and so it's way more appealing to me.

Gvitor

Ehh, my post got stuck in the last page =/

Anyway, I saw people talking about spring season already. I'm looking forward to Hero Academia and I will watch Ace Attorney even if it sucks, so there's that.

TUSR

Banned
ZJ6Lxmc.png

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Hero Academy will be really popular unless the adaption is bad or something.
Straight up shounen adaptations never do that well. Even HxH struggled to beat Barakamon in 2014.
No way JoJo beats out Mob Psycho with the OPM fans behind it. JoJo is consistently 5-7 in end-of-year polls.

You're talking about popularity, I assume (since that is what AOTY voting is based on), not personal preference? Does Koe no Katachi really have enough popularity with the Western anime periphery crowd that it could beat out all the other 2016 anime with in-built fans?

Yes, popularity. Koe no Katachi would get the monocle vote which is the second strongest voting bloc on GAF. The question is, how many will watch Mob Psycho 100 from the ONE connection alone?

When you look at the Spring anime list and realize you're only hyped for Swagamoto. And still I'm not sure how well they'll adapt it.

Guess this is my calling card to watch Concrete Revolutio in earnest.

Moaradin

Straight up shounen adaptations never do that well. Even HxH struggled to beat Barakamon in 2014.

Even though HxH was the best anime that year, it still was a long running show. Those always have a disadvantage.

Hero Academy should be 2-cour. Shokugeki no Soma got 4th this year and I imagine Hero Academy will end up a lot more popular.

Yes, popularity. Koe no Katachi would get the monocle vote which is the second strongest voting bloc on GAF. The question is, how many will watch Mob Psycho 100 from the ONE connection alone?

Hmm, it's really early to judge but I'm not sure Koe no Katachi would get the monocle vote. There's already Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu to consider, and there are other likely contenders such as Joker Game, Sound Euphonium S2, and March Comes in Like a Lion. (Maybe Space Battleship Yamato 2199 S2 as well? That could come in the fall.) I mean, Koe no Katachi should be good, but it's too early to say just how good it'll be in the end.

I'm not comparing the manga, because I have no real experience with them, but the anime. The One Punch Man anime is an average production that happens to have a bunch of good animators working on it, so there's some crazy animation sequences but no strong creative vision from the top. The Mob Psycho 100 anime, on the other hand, looks to have that strong creative vision, along the lines of something like Yuasa's Ping Pong, and so it's way more appealing to me.

Have you watched past episode 1?

Even though HxH was the best anime that year, it still was a long running show. Those always have a disadvantage.

Hero Academy should be 2-cour. Shokugeki no Soma got 4th this year and I imagine Hero Academy will end up a lot more popular.

But the chapters Food Wars! s2 is adapting ought to enable it to be better than the chapters Hero Academia is adapting.

Not yet, from from the general reactions I've read I don't believe my opinion will change when I do.

Probably not, though episode 1 only gives a good indication of what the rest of the show will be like in action, not cast or character development. I don't think it would be AOTY if all episodes followed the same formula as episode 1.

No way JoJo beats out Mob Psycho with the OPM fans behind it. JoJo is consistently 5-7 in end-of-year polls.

Their appeals may be similar, but I don't really see Mob Psycho getting the type of attention that OPM did to be able to attract such a large following.

Their appeals may be similar, but I don't really see Mob Psycho getting the type of attention that OPM did to be able to attract such a large following.

it'll attract people in the sense of "from the creator of One Punch Man and the studio that taught you to feel rock emotion"

This is what everyone can look forward to in Keijo (slight spoilers and NSFW because ass).

for a second there I thought those were balls

Grexeno

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure placings in AOTY:

2012: #3
2013: #9
2014: #8
2015: #5

With the quality of Part 4, I can't see it not winning in either 2016 or 2017.

Hopefully Keijo airs at the same time as Prison School S2 so I will be properly equipped with Chairman images.

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure placings in AOTY:

2012: #3
2013: #9
2014: #8
2015: #5

With the quality of Part 4, I can't see it not winning in either 2016 or 2017.

Probably not gonna happen. There's already competition from Erased and Rakugo.

Russ T

Banned
FWIW (re: finding the first episode uninteresting), I think a lot of people who hype up One Punch Man do it solely for the animation and comedy aspects, but to me one of the best things is the subtle underlying character development - specifically Saitama's slow change from a lonely and depressed individual who is struggling to find meaning in life.

Basically what I'm saying is people like it for the wrong reasons. YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG.

Not to say that will automatically make you like it if you were turned off by certain aspects, but it's always kind of sad when people don't acknowledge the best part of One Punch Man.

All that said, Mob Psycho 100 is absolutely the better story in basically every way. I love OPM (barring some gross-ass homophobic/transphobic/sexist tropes), but yeah. Mob all the way.

Grexeno

Isn't Koe no Katachi going to be a movie, not a series?

sonicmj1

Mushishi 4-7

I've been watching an episode every evening when I've got some time, and I'm consistently incredibly impressed. The first season so far seems to regularly surpass what I saw of Zoku Sho, which was already quite excellent.

One thing this season does differently from the second is that it feels like there's a stronger connecting thread between the episodes. It's very faint, but it's there, both in terms of events (Ginko selling items he found in episodes 1 and 3 at the start of episode 5) and locations (Ginko ends episode 5 in a fishing village, and begins the following episode on a boat to an island out in the sea). This sense of a continuous, if aimless, journey provides a slightly stronger pull to draw me into Ginko's character. Why does he do what he does?

uFf2PJu.jpg

Gin's also a bit more cartoony in this season. You get at least one of these faces each episode.

The mysteries and mushi that Ginko encounters certainly vary so far, and the overall outcomes range from uplifting to disastrous. What binds them all together is a sense of the grandeur of nature, the sweeping scope of existence, the natural rhythms of the world in which we live. Waking and sleeping, living and dying, sun and rain, rise and fall. Mushi cause strange phenomena when they interact with humans, but by studying them, we gain insight into what our normal existence is.

I've found all the episodes very strong so far, but I feel particularly drawn to episode 6, with the Ikigami. Beyond the episode's bittersweet arc, I was really impressed with how the direction managed to bridge both the infinite wonderment and surprise of the Ikigami's existence, and the infinite potential and possibility of human living. The montage when Aki describes her experience blew me away.

aG83IYF.jpg

Mushishi uses frame pacing to create remarkably surreal effects. The mushi themselves pop because of their supernatural fluidity, and this montage is also an example of how the same sorts of moments seen elsewhere in the show take on a more profound beauty by virtue of their detailed animation.

I intend to finish everything Mushishi-related this year (hopefully sooner rather than later), and I'd like to get to Garo (the good one) at some point. Part of me also wants to pick Osomatsu-san back up, but after seven largely unfunny episodes, it's hard to get up the motivation.

Ehh, my post got stuck in the last page =/

Anyway, I saw people talking about spring season already. I'm looking forward to Hero Academia and I will watch Ace Attorney even if it sucks, so there's that.

Well, because to many shows in spring!
http://anichart.net/spring
Even only count originals, we will have:
Endride
Hai Furi
Kiznaiver
Kabaneri
Kuromukuro
Mayoiga
Hakuouki: Otogisoushi(short)
Uchuu Patrol Luluco(short)

Add Macross Delta, Kagewani: Shou(short) if we also count sequel.

Moaradin

I don't see Erased doing that well unless it has a super strong finish. People tend to forget early anime like this unless they are truly exceptional.

Aki-at

Kind of hoping Mob Psycho 100 gets one subpar episode to see if it's going to face the same crashing halt Erased had with episode 5 :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.

Well Soma got 4th in a year where a lot of people just "checked out", mentally. I think Soma getting 4th says more about this year than it says about Soma.

Hmm, it's really early to judge but I'm not sure Koe no Katachi would get the monocle vote. There's already Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu to consider, and there are other likely contenders such as Joker Game, Sound Euphonium S2, and March Comes in Like a Lion. (Maybe Space Battleship Yamato 2199 S2 as well? That could come in the fall.) I mean, Koe no Katachi should be good, but it's too early to say just how good it'll be in the end.
I think Koe no Katachi is Hyouka-tier. Lion March would give it a run for its money, sure. Euph 2, probably not. Showa Genroku Rakugo is a bit too low-key for a lot of people I feel. Yamato 2199 getting a miracle vote again would just prove the system is rife with corruption and it needs to be purged.

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking too. Who knows, though? I've never read Mob Psycho. It might actually be better, and it helps that it isn't too """anime""" looking.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Well Soma got 4th in a year where a lot of people just "checked out", mentally. I think Soma getting 4th says more about this year than it says about Soma.
Maybe it just says something about the people who vote.

Mushishi 4-7

I've been watching an episode every evening when I've got some time, and I'm consistently incredibly impressed. The first season so far seems to regularly surpass what I saw of Zoku Sho, which was already quite excellent.

One thing this season does differently from the second is that it feels like there's a stronger connecting thread between the episodes. It's very faint, but it's there, both in terms of events (Ginko selling items he found in episodes 1 and 3 at the start of episode 5) and locations (Ginko ends episode 5 in a fishing village, and begins the following episode on a boat to an island out in the sea). This sense of a continuous, if aimless, journey provides a slightly stronger pull to draw me into Ginko's character. Why does he do what he does?

The first Mushishi season skipped around the manga a bit in choosing stories to adapt. So when the second season was greenlit, they just had the "leftovers" to use, so there was less possibility of making connections that weren't already in the original work.

Do we know if Mob Psycho is only 1 cours? Seeing a good stopping point in the PV if so.

Ajin 01

Despite few really bad moments, CG in this seems more bearable than the one in Knights of Sidonia. Episode itself was passable even if the premise seems generic. Will rule of 3 it.

Premise is pretty much Tokyo Ghoul, but the execution is pretty nuts when it's good. Plenty of Ajin fights have them utilizing killing themselves as an actual strategy, and some are amazing because of that.

Don't know about the anime beyond episode 1 though since it was too ugly for me compared to the manga.

Mob Psycho might be able to salvage some of OPM's popularity. I can already see people saying it looks bad, though. Writing wise MP destroys OPM but it's not as high octane action so it will automatically suffer via comparison. What I can say is that it does do similair things with the superhero tropes and Mob manages to be a naive pacifist who doesn't come off as extremely annoying which is an achievement. He kinda reminds me of Superman (like All Star Superman, not the shit one by that hack fraud Snyder) in a lot of ways

If it ends well, it's the kind of thing I could see people checking out here and there the rest of the year.

Word of Mouth would carry it far, but I doubt its something that would find people willing to stick with it beyond episode one or to really suggest it to people since for much of the anime the characters are just sitting there.

Do we know if Mob Psycho is only 1 cours? Seeing a good stopping point in the PV if so.

We do not, although it's likely.

Mob Psycho might be able to salvage some of OPM's popularity. I can already see people saying it looks bad, though. Writing wise MP destroys OPM but it's not as high octane action so it will automatically suffer via comparison. What I can say is that it does do similair things with the superhero tropes and Mob manages to be a naive pacifist who doesn't come off as extremely annoying which is an achievement. He kinda reminds me of Superman (like All Star Superman, not the shit one by that hack fraud Snyder) in a lot of ways

I could see people having issues with the look of the show, since it has a uniquely rough style, but the only person I've seen complain about it so far is SliceSabre. I think it not being as Hollywood superhero as One Punch will hurt it though.

Rakugo could scare people off. Episode 1 is almost an hour long, and although I liked how rich it was culturally, some may not enjoy the rakugo itself. If you watch episode 1 and like what you saw though, it only gets better every episode.

I could see people having issues with the look of the show, since it has a uniquely rough style, but the only person I've seen complain about it so far is SliceSabre. I think it not being as Hollywood superhero as One Punch will hurt it though.

I actually think it looks very stylish. It's no Ping Pong levels of rugged in my eyes.

Rakugo could scare people off. Episode 1 is almost an hour long, and although I liked how rich it was culturally, some may not enjoy the rakugo itself. If you watch episode 1 and like what you saw though, it only gets better every episode.

That's why it'll only do well in the "monocle" vote. Low-key character drama steeped in Japanese history and a specific cultural entertainment practice is not what most Western anime fans are looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom