• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually think it looks very stylish. It's no Ping Pong levels of rugged in my eyes.

Ping Pong is pretty stylish too! It just had a very rushed production, so the animation wasn't as good as Mob Psycho 100's animation should be.

Rakugo seems kinda like Hyouge Mono, a show that will only do well because the few people who watched it think very, very highly of it.

Rakugo is much better than Hyouge Mono though, especially in the music and sound direction department.

I don't think it's absurd to say ONE's intentionally sketchy art style has less wide appeal than the well done, but more standard Murata art style. Hopefully people will keep an open mind and try it anyway, but I've definitely seen people on Twitter and elsewhere say it's a turn-off.

Cornbread78

Rakugo could scare people off. Episode 1 is almost an hour long, and although I liked how rich it was culturally, some may not enjoy the rakugo itself. If you watch episode 1 and like what you saw though, it only gets better every episode.

I still haven't gone back and finished ep.1. Someday I will, but...

Narag

Word of Mouth would carry it far, but I doubt its something that would find people willing to stick with it beyond episode one or to really suggest it to people since for much of the anime the characters are just sitting there.

Anime characters just sitting there is the best though. Best ep of Perfect Insider was just people sitting there and what do we remember about Fate/Zero? Nothing aside from two things:
  • Gilgamesh and Kirei just sitting there
  • Saber, Gilgamesh, and Rider just sitting there.

No one's certain what actually happened in Fate/Zero beyond that.

Anime characters just sitting there is the best though. Best ep of Perfect Insider was just people sitting there and what do we remember about Fate/Zero? Nothing aside from two things:
  • Gilgamesh and Kirei just sitting there
  • Saber, Gilgamesh, and Rider just sitting there.

No one's certain what actually happened in Fate/Zero beyond that.

sounds like you should watch monogatari

TUSR

Banned
sounds like you should watch monogatari

8nX43LF.jpg

That's why it'll only do well in the "monocle" vote. Low-key character drama steeped in Japanese history and a specific cultural entertainment practice is not what most Western anime fans are looking for.

Yeah this is true. I still think a lot of people that both post and watch this thread know about the show at the very least, and hopefully they feel inclined to give it a shot after we give it our final verdict. By no means do I consider myself to be a "monocle" viewer, everyone knows I'm super casual with my shows, and I'm still loving it. It's just the barrier of entry really. That first wall that is the 60min pilot episode is really what might scare people off. I know it did so to many of my buddies in school.

EDIT:

I still haven't gone back and finished ep.1. Someday I will, but...

There it is, proved my point. You should really sit down and watch it Corn. Believe me when I tell you you will love this show. These last few episodes have been on fucking point.

Ping Pong is pretty stylish too! It just had a very rushed production, so the animation wasn't as good as Mob Psycho 100's animation should be.

I tried man, I really did. I am not too picky with how things look, but it was waaay too rough for me. It was distracting. I bet there is a phenomenal show under that, but I just couldn't do it. Maybe one day down the road I'll give it another shot.

Jarmel

Banned
I don't think it's absurd to say ONE's intentionally sketchy art style has less wide appeal than the well done, but more standard Murata art style. Hopefully people will keep an open mind and try it anyway, but I've definitely seen people on Twitter and elsewhere say it's a turn-off.

"Looks like a five year old drew it."

Yeah this is true. I still think a lot of people that both post and watch this thread know about the show at the very least, and hopefully they feel inclined to give it a shot after we give it our final verdict. By no means do I consider myself to be a "monocle" viewer, everyone knows I'm super casual with my shows, and I'm still loving it. It's just the barrier of entry really. That first wall that is the 60min pilot episode is really what might scare people off. I know it did so to many of my buddies in school.

Just wait until they release the full 88-minute version of the first episode on BD!

I tried man, I really did. I am not too picky with how things look, but it was waaay too rough for me. It was distracting. I bet there is a phenomenal show under that, but I just couldn't do it. Maybe one day down the road I'll give it another shot.

:( Hope you can get into it eventually!

Spring anime I'm giving a chance:

Boku no Hero: I'm not as enamored with the source material as some posters but I'm willing to give it a shot as a dependable if not really exceptional popcorn anime.
Bungou Stray Dogs: I'm really just giving this a chance because it's Bones. The PV looked mediocre but we'll see.
Concrete Revolutio 2: I need to blast through season 1
Flying Witch: Looks charming enough
JOJO PART 4: Yesssssssss. The first post part 3 jojo animation ever. Don't let me down David Pro.
Joker Game: Pre-WWII spy thriller? Uh, hell yeah
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri: Tetsurou Araki directed shows are like downing a whole pack of sour patch kids in one setting; It tastes good for the split second you experience them, and immediately afterwards you feel woozy and question if it was a good idea.
Uchuu Patrol Luluco: Imaishi directed tv shorts. We'll see how it goes.

Everything else depends on impressions.

Clov

The teaser PV, as simple as it is, has a nice relaxing atmosphere (that music!), which the Non Non Biyori director seems like a good choice to pull off. It won't be anything flashy, but it could be a very pleasant healing watch.

Oh, looks nice! I definitely could use something laid back, if it's anything like Non Non Biyori in tone it will be. Seems like the characters will look pretty cute too, so I might as well add it to the watch list.

On the topic of Mob Psycho 100, is it weird that I have zero interest in One Punch Man but think that Mob Psycho looks pretty neat? Nothing in OPM outside of the animation stands out to me, but Mob Psycho catches my attention with its art style right away. Maybe it's just me.

I know what can give Mob Psycho 100 a run for its money.

Handa-kun the prequel to Barakamon..... Lol

Honestly though I really do love the source material since it's the epitome of misunderstandings.

Puruzi

Banned
Oh, looks nice! I definitely could use something laid back, if it's anything like Non Non Biyori in tone it will be. Seems like the characters will look pretty cute too, so I might as well add it to the watch list.

On the topic of Mob Psycho 100, is it weird that I have zero interest in One Punch Man but think that Mob Psycho looks pretty neat? Nothing in OPM outside of the animation stands out to me, but Mob Psycho catches my attention with its art style right away. Maybe it's just me.

Mob's style is godlike

It's not weird since Mob is superior to OPM in every way. There's a reason why ONE the creator puts all his effort into Mob instead of OPM.

If it's just the art, sure, but I think someone that likes Mob and doesn't like a thing about OPM (and vice versa) would be rare. While different beasts, the story beats are comparable and in a few arcs, the aesops are pretty much identical. Action and framing are also very similar, with slightly more variety in Mob.

It's not weird since Mob is superior to OPM in every way. There's a reason why ONE the creator puts all his effort into Mob instead of OPM.

He puts all his effort into Mob because he's serialized, whereas OPM is still a free webcomic.

OPM is for fun while Mob is for money.

If it's just the art, sure, but I think someone that likes Mob and doesn't like a thing about OPM (and vice versa) would be rare. While different beasts, the story beats are comparable and in a few arcs, the aesops are pretty much identical. Action and framing are also very similar, with slightly more variety in Mob.

He puts all his effort into Mob because he's serialized, whereas OPM is still a free webcomic.

OPM is for fun while Mob is for money.

It's honestly not rare for someone to like one but not the other. For instance I vastly prefer the characters of Mob than OPM since the latter are completely one dimensional other than Saitama. Also majority of the time Mob doesn't focus on action like OPM which is nonstop action.

I prefer Mob a lot and don't find OPM all that entertaining. It's probably because the comedy runs dry very quickly.

"Looks like a five year old drew it."

10/10

Just wait until they release the full 88-minute version of the first episode on BD!

:( Hope you can get into it eventually!

Ouuu first time I heard of this? And yeah it seems to be quite the hit around these parts. But I have a lot of stuff that AnimeGAF considers "good" to go through. Classics and stuff, so that's just another one to add on to the pile.

As for potential Spring stuff since you guys brought it up, I see a few things that I am interested in already:

- Bungou Stray Dogs
- Flying Witch
- Joker Game
- Kiznaiver
- Mayoyiga
- My Hero Academia
- Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom