• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dio

Banned
Let's be real, even the original 765 girls can be summed up by a gimmick. "The twins", "the poor one", "the rich tsundere", "the animal one", "the tomboy", "the shy one", etc.

Yeah, but I think they at least have multiple dimensions to their characters on top of all that instead of being a cardboard cutout.

And yeah, like Metroid said, they play up those gimmicks anyway because that's what idols do, but it's nice to know what kind of characters they are outside of the publicity gimmick they put on for popularity.

Hype backlash, aka monocle overdrive for animegaf. It's popular, so it sucks.

Yep, it's been that way for a while now.

"Hey, TTGL is awesome and tells us to feel good about ourselves-"

"Overrated anime that's bad because Imaishi."

"Hey, Madoka Magica is a legit great show with well developed characters and-"

"Overrated anime that's bad because the character designs that are too cutesy."

Kono Subarashii ep 5

Comedy was on point this episode. Man that hand animation reminds me of yahari season 2's hand movements.

Its cool that RE:Zero is gonna be two cour.

wonzo

Banned
Yep, it's been that way for a while now.

"Hey, TTGL is awesome and tells us to feel good about ourselves-"

"Overrated anime that's bad because Imaishi."

"Hey, Madoka Magica is a legit great show with well developed characters and-"

"Overrated anime that's bad because the character designs that are too cutesy."

literally no "monocle" tier posters said this

In case people couldn't tell, I was joking.

For whatever reason, it seems some in here were lukewarm on OPM from the beginning. That wouldn't really fit a "it's popular, so it sucks" narrative. The closest thing I've observed on that front is people feeling it isn't worth the amount of praise it got, which is just an extension of their already cemented views.

Doesn't make those people any less wrong though.

wonzo

Banned
KLK gets torn to shreds because it had the chance to do some ownage 70/80s style school delinquency thing (complete with the sukeban deka ED nod) and fucked it all up

literally no "monocle" tier posters said this

I was mostly just generalizing, but I've definitely seen people complain about those shows for those reasons in here.

I don't know who in here counts as a "monocle" tier poster, but they certainly came off that way to me.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
In case people couldn't tell, I was joking.

For whatever reason, it seems some in here were lukewarm on OPM from the beginning. That wouldn't really fit a "it's popular, so it sucks" narrative. The closest thing I've observed on that front is people feeling it isn't worth the amount of praise it got, which is just an extension of their already cemented views.

Doesn't make those people any less wrong though.
OPM is probably the most liked show by people who post on GAF but not in AnimeGAF.

Here are the definitive monocle shows you could consider, structured around a long group symposium and not any one person's bias -

Symphogear
Cross Ange
Mad Bull 34
Garzey's Wing
Monster Musume
Master of Martial Hearts
Mad Bull 34
Thermae Romae
Inferno Cop
MD Geist and MD Geist II Death Force
Astro Fighter Sunred

Who are all these people

trigger gave us lwa 1&2, inferno cop, ninja slayer, & hackadoll so nah

All one offs and shorts, I wonder what Trigger is good at

im new here

what is this monocle meme

To expand on this, the "monocles" were basically the elitists that may be condescending toward other tastes while the "mustaches" were the fun loving people that didn't care what you liked or didn't like and consumed stuff even if it was "trashy" or "poorly produced".

I don't really care to categorize people like that anymore when after 3+ years, it's become clear people are pretty malleable in what they watch as are their attitudes towards whatever. Not that the list was ever made with malicious intent in the first place of course.

And before anyone accuses me over the title of Class D, that was InfiniteNine's idea.

Line_HTX

I'm wearing a monocle right now

image.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom