• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

zulux21

People still watching GATE and KidnappedHime.

GATE is silly fun, I still like it quite a bit.
not like there is much else to watch this season. Just Gate, dimension W, Erased, and if I am in the right mood that one show with the diaper genie and the one with the fail goddess aqua.

SAO defenders WAT.

Do people really hate the world this much.

does it help at all if I am currently watching Hayate the combat butler :p?

sonicmj1

it's just a fun watch and that really is the most important thing for me. "am I enjoying what I am watching." I don't need a deep involved plot or fancy art stuff, I am happy just enjoying stuff because I am having fun.

I understand that scale. I like having fun too.

I watched the first three episodes of SAO and then asked myself, "Am I enjoying what I'm watching?" The answer was, "Eh, not really," so I dropped it. The impressions of the following episode, where a thirteen-years-old girl gets attacked by a tentacle plant monster, made me feel that I made the right choice.

zulux21

Praising Sword Art Online and then turning around and condemning "moe" is pretty baffling.

if it helps dragon girl is my least favorite character in SAO :p

loving this Parasyte anime, nearly finished it

is there any other similar anime on Funimation/Crunchyroll?

hmmmm best one I can think of may be shiki as it has a darker theme and dealing with invaders (well vampires in this case).

tokyo ghoul might be possible as it has a similar monster feel, but the main character is horrible in the anime so I would never willingly recommend that and would instead just recommend to read the manga where it isn't trying to be a shonen show (because it isn't) and where the main character actually thinks about anything he is doing.

both of them are on funimation.
Well everyone is moe for something.

Moe like Tsundare can be done well, but it rarely is. It's typically done with just minor aspects of a good character of that type blown up trying to make it fully a character but leaving it super shallow.

watching a girl repeatedly fall over, or repeatedly fail to put food properly in the mouth, or end everything with a tee hee or some random sound effect isn't cute, it's likely a mental disorder they should get checked out.
Just like assaulting people and launching them across the screen isn't funny and the abused men should press charges and get them locked up. It also results in it not being cute when they are embarrassed because they are just a bitch.

but yeah in general I don't like moe, yuri, ecchi, or tsundares.

I do sadly end up watching a lot of all of those (except yuri, I avoid yuri all together) though as it's the vast majority of things that get dubbed anymore and I am constantly playing dubbed anime while doing other things.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
SAO series 2 is technically better than series 1, but all that means is it's a competent show, but that's just boring. At least with series 1 you could complain about how bad each episode was, 2 was just there. There were a few stupid reveals towards the end of each arc but there was really nothing much to talk about.

Sonicbug

One Piece Gold character designs
2016-02-23-09-57-22-30806600.jpg

We can't stop here, this is bat country!

(Oh god, I just realized he's wearing a straw hat with his straw hat. Goddamnit Luffy.)

convo

Sword Art Online is getting the Code Geass treatment for me, as in never watching it because of the stupid main character. I won't forgive a genocide on real people getting sweeped under the carpet and giving the means to it away for free(at least from what i hear). At least in Overlord and Gate it's stupid medieval Kings and Castles getting blown up and shit.

Szadek

Sword Art Online is getting the Code Geass treatment for me, as in never watching it because of the stupid main character. I won't forgive a genocide on real people getting sweeped under the carpet and giving the means to it away for free(at least from what i hear). At least in Overlord and Gate it's stupid medieval Kings and Castles getting blown up and shit.
These 2 cases are hardly comparable. Code Geass addresse this kind of stuff and points out that Lelouch actions are morally questionable.
SAO on the other hand basically says that the guy who kiddnapped and killed thousands of people is now a good guy,because he saved a few people.
Nevermind that these people were only in danger because of his actions in the past.

I expect Snow White to end with everyone doing impression of the light kiss the MCs share with each other because light kisses are the highest form of romance realization in anime.

I'm not watching Snow White currently so this is all out of my ass.

GIRLS und PANZER

I don't know why I enjoyed this, oh wait, yeah I do, FUCKING GIRLS IN TANKS, EMPHASIS ON TANKS.

Nah but seriously, this was a fun anime which is surprising due to me generally staying away from moe (since K-On gave me all I needed out of that genre). The rendition of the Russian folksong Katyusha was surprising; I didn't expect that at all but it got me enjoy the anime all the more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIY36UbDbQQ

Again, main sticking point for me is watching tank battles and I'm a bit disappointed hearing that the OVAs don't feature any (correct if wrong). Anyone know if the movie features tank battles instead?

GIRLS und PANZER

I don't know why I enjoyed this, oh wait, yeah I do, FUCKING GIRLS IN TANKS, EMPHASIS ON TANKS.

Nah but seriously, this was a fun anime which is surprising due to me generally staying away from moe (since K-On gave me all I needed out of that genre). The rendition of the Russian folksong Katyusha was surprising; I didn't expect that at all but it got me enjoy the anime all the more.

Again, main sticking point for me is watching tank battles and I'm a bit disappointed hearing that the OVAs don't feature any (correct if wrong). Anyone know if the movie features tank battles instead?

The short specials that were included as bonuses on the TV BDs may not have any tank battles (I haven't watched them), but the Anzio OVA that covers the battle the TV series skipped is all one big tank battle and the movie is almost entirely tank battles.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
GIRLS und PANZER

No tank battle in special short episode bundled with DVD and BD, but there's tank battle in OVA "This Is the Real Anzio Battle!"

convo

These 2 cases are hardly comparable. Code Geass addresse this kind of stuff and points out that Lelouch actions are morally questionable.

Lelouch thinking he is in the right and staying smug would be enough for me to fall over and die, no matter the actual outcome. I am not gonna test my patience with this guy.

phaze

Yes, both have been pretty god so far.

Goodspeed.

loving this Parasyte anime, nearly finished it

is there any other similar anime on Funimation/Crunchyroll?

Tokyo Ghoul and currently airing Aijin strike me as the most similar but: 1. Both are based on on going manga with no denouement in sight (at least TG. ) and thus the story won't be finished within the anime. 2. Second season of TG goes into anime only territory and is an all-round atrocity. 3. Ajin isn't on either of the two services. 4.Ajin is CG.

I expect Snow White to end with everyone doing impression of the light kiss the MCs share with each other because light kisses are the highest form of romance realization in anime.

I'm not watching Snow White currently so this is all out of my ass.

L-Lewd.

Fantastic Children 15
I've had this suspicion early on, only to have it dissipate when dr Gehrta didn't recognise Demian but now it's clear that she's indeed that one girl Demian caught 100 years ago and tortured (? I guess that's where her fear of closed rooms comes) for information.

Meanwhile Thoma is also some reborn alien. Since Demian is the little brother I'm going to peg Thoma as a some kind of prince who was supposed to wed Miss Dullness. All aboard the love story train !

----
Noragami s2 v1 sells 1321/1481, total 2,802.
+Concrete Revolution - 1076
+KidnappedHime - 1,953

RIP Bones.

I was reading Tokyo Ghoul Re not too long ago to wash off the bad taste season 2 left in my mouth. I really liked it so I stopped. I think if they do a faithful adaptation of it it could be pretty damn cool.

I understand that scale. I like having fun too.

I watched the first three episodes of SAO and then asked myself, "Am I enjoying what I'm watching?" The answer was, "Eh, not really," so I dropped it. The impressions of the following episode, where a thirteen-years-old girl gets attacked by a tentacle plant monster, made me feel that I made the right choice.

You did the right thing. There's people claiming that the first few episodes of SAO are actually good. They aren't, even if they can't compare to how bad it gets eventually.

Prince of Stride Alternative Episode 8
Best Kakyoin. Kakyoin has some good voices like Aoi Shouta as their relationer, best choice, though it would have been nice to hear him with the running and jumping effects like the rest of the team in this time trial.

I think this sort of episode was coming, Honan does well in the face of adversity so anything to come in their way to really shake and challenge their being is great in my book.

Yes we get more upper and lower body next episode ^_^

Chindogg

Prince of Stride Alternative Episode 8

Best Kakyoin. Kakyoin has some good voices like Aoi Shouta as their relationer, best choice, though it would have been nice to hear him with the running and jumping effects like the rest of the team in this time trial.

I think this sort of episode was coming, Honan does well in the face of adversity so anything to come in their way to really shake and challenge their being is great in my book.

Yes we get more upper and lower body next episode ^_^

I really enjoy Stride a lot but wish that the MC relationer actually had more of a role. It's the same issue I have with Four Rhythm.

Not saying they need to fawn over their teammates like their game counterparts, but at least have some kind of impact to the story.

JulianImp

I was thinking I'll probably end up watching stuff on GAF's AOTY list for last year and previous ones rather than picking up random old anime for a while, since that's what got me into SNAFU in the first place and it ended up being a damn good show.

Ascheroth

I really enjoy Stride a lot but wish that the MC relationer actually had more of a role. It's the same issue I have with Four Rhythm.

Not saying they need to fawn over their teammates like their game counterparts, but at least have some kind of impact to the story.

I think she wouldn't even have to have an impact on the story, just more presence would do. She's just there outside of her role as a relationer and even then she doesn't really do much.

I don't know, just some interaction with the other team members or something. She's just standing there looking and it feels like she has 5 lines an episode on average.

(Note that I'm 2 episodes behind on Stride, so I don't know if anything changed during the last two).

Cornbread78

I was thinking I'll probably end up watching stuff on GAF's AOTY list for last year and previous ones rather than picking up random old anime for a while, since that's what got me into SNAFU in the first place and it ended up being a damn good show.

I wasn't lying, lol.

Actually, I think it was someone else's comments that got you to watch it, but still, lol.

Line_HTX

Sölf;196360679 said:
GATE is great. Watching it for all the political backstabbery alone is worth it.

Now Shirayuki S2 I didn't even start. S1 was boring as hell.

I'm only in it for the hilarious propaganda and the harem Itami has. Itami needs to bring Princess Pina along for the ride too!

Could use a new anime, so I getting back on Funimation and checking out Death Parade. Seems like a pretty sweet show.

Death Parade is wonderful and a nice change in pace.

JulianImp

I wasn't lying, lol.

Actually, I think it was someone else's comments that got you to watch it, but still, lol.

I remember some people mentioning it in the past, but I tend to skim through posts regarding series I don't know about. I actually just went to the AOTS thread, read the description and decided to add it to my CR queue.

Szadek

I'm watching Ping Pong again, but this time with the dub.
For some reasons I'm enjoying this show way more this way.

Monogatari SS - Ep. 5-6
Episode 5 was one of the best episodes I have seen in a while. Give me more episodes like this, and this show is 10/10 for me.
6 was a recap and really pointless, because it recaps everything we knew about Hanekawa before the new arc, after her new arc is already over.
Apperently there are more episodes like this, but I'm just going to skip them.

I'm also getting to the end of Grand Magic Games arc in Fairy Tail.
The arc is very mixed. There are a lot thing in this are arc that I really like, but it also has tons of problems as well.
I'm not going to watch the filler arc, because fuck that noise. I don't mind a few filler episodes too much, but entire arcs can just fuck off
Apperently the next real arc is really great and FT Zero has mavis as the main character so that should be fun as well.

Jex

I often disagree with you, but I do agree here to the extent that I think film and television, both live-action and especially animation, are composite mediums where their constituent parts need to be judged as to how they work together to create a whole[...]

I was going to write something extremely similar to your comments here Tamerlane's actual blog post - but you're already touched every point I was going to bring up.

Essentially, I agree with much of the blog post but I really can't let a comment like "without fail, even the best written anime are formulaic, embarrassing, and shallow" go without passing comment. Such a statement seems, on it's face, to be outrageous. I am constantly bemoaning the lack of decent writing in anime but even I can't go as far as to say "its all garbage".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom