• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world

Line_HTX

Myriad Acting Phantom Water 09

Good choice in casting Koshimizu here.

LOL at the audience trying way too hard to analyze what kind of stage play it was.

Koito is getting friendlier by the episode.

Got triggered at the end of the episode when Ayumi said they're going to aim to win at Nationals after regionals. I NEED MY MOTHERFUCKING EUPHONIUM S2 GODDAMNIT!!

BibleThump

pbayne

Checked a little of the manga and ill probably avoid this. It has very one note comedy-every joke is a different iteration of "main guy is lazy". It has a nice bromance but its pretty dull overall.

So on the subject of Anime Kickstarters Animego looks to be launching a new one for Riding Bean Restoration (High Octane Edition) on Sunday.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/madoverlord/1156174822?token=f3aee3c4

So 90s. I might back it.

Fuck i really want to back the Skip Beat campaign as well but they have no european release.

T-Rex.

Banned
Akame ga Kill 1-3

Wow, this is surprisingly good. It's also a lot darker than I was expecting which is a pleasant surprise. That episode one twist came outta nowhere. I mean Tatsumi was obviously going to join up with Akame's crew eventually, but the event that pushed him towards it was pretty savage. I was not expecting that at all.

phaze

I think I'll start my E7 run sooner than I planned, these discussions certainly got me excited. :)

I warned you. RIP

Not sure if it was posted already, but apparently the Owarimonogatari BD/DVD comes with a new OP for the Sodachi Lost arc (ep4-6).

It's no mathemagics (whose full track is awesome btw.) but makes a decent first impression. That "self-cest" imagery is a bit weird. I suppose it's meant to symbolize Sodachi finding a side of herself she can love / accepting who she is.

I really love Marina Inoue's singing voice in the two OPs.

Not very impressed. One of the weaker mono OPs.

Erased movie finale announcement incoming!

I guess it's better than having the source material rushed ? Though with predicted poor sales I wonder if this is going to work out for them.

TUSR

Banned
Phantom World 9

Surprised at how many names of the Shinsengumi I know from Gintama.

KyoAni seems to be enjoying themselves doing this.

Jarmel

Banned
Big Ruru hype.

julia-roberts-hook.jpg

phaze

Mouryou no Hako 5-7

Getting a hold of all these characters is certainly a pain in the butt, especially when in conversations, loads of names are being dropped and referenced and I still haven't managed to ascribe a face to most of them. Generally, confusing seems to be the name of the game with this one as even outside of all the seemingly supernatural or occult occurrences (ha), the show juggles not only its characters, with the detective now taking a backseat, but dream like visions or some, as of yet, only perfunctorily connected to the main story, extended flashbacks. I still have no idea if the glasses guy, who by know ascended firmly into the main character territory, is really a killer as episode 4 implies or if that was just yet another product of his troubled, literary mind. Speaking of those, the opening sequence episode 5 was golden. The show in general knows how to begin every episode with some cryptic, mysterious scenes but that one was easily the best so far.

Qurupeke

Phantom World 9

Surprised at how many names of the Shinsengumi I know from Gintama.

KyoAni seems to be enjoying themselves doing this.
Gintama is actually a great source of Japanese history knowledge. Especially the bits about the technology, like the Neoarmstrong cannon or the Excalibur Ω/Σ, are always interesting.

Mouryou no Hako 5-7

Getting a hold of all these characters is certainly a pain in the butt, especially when in conversations, loads of names are being dropped and referenced and I still haven't managed to ascribe a face to most of them. Generally, confusing seems to be the name of the game with this one as even outside of all the seemingly supernatural or occult occurrences (ha), the show juggles not only its characters, with the detective now taking a backseat, but dream like visions or some, as of yet, only perfunctorily connected to the main story, extended flashbacks. I still have no idea if the glasses guy, who by know ascended firmly into the main character territory, is really a killer as episode 4 implies or if that was just yet another product of his troubled, literary mind. Speaking of those, the opening sequence episode 5 was golden. The show in general knows how to begin every episode with some cryptic, mysterious scenes but that one was easily the best so far.

I know someone else watching the show missed this, so I'll just say to notice that most of the avant (pre-OP) sequences are stated to be excerpts from a fictional short story by one of the in-universe authors, not something that actually happened within the show's "real world". Their purpose will become clear by the end (the last two episodes do a really good job of making everything clear).

brawly

GATE 1

It was alright. Should pick up now. Bit weird how no one seemed confused that there were dragons and goblins going wild in a city.

Prince of Stride 08(?)

Damn, this is still awesome! How many of you are still watching this?

The faster format of having a race every two episodes works really well. Both Riku and Sakurai are also getting their backstories right now, which in retrospect is something I should've seen coming. The focus on the first episodes was more to get the little arcs of all the sidecharacters out of the way.

Still exciting, also best ED of the season (I guess the one of Konosuba is nice as well).

I need to catch up on this, but I've really enjoyed what I've seen. It feels like the first time Atsuko Ishizuka's directorial quirks are actually helpful to one of her shows.

Ascheroth

Prince of Stride 08(?)

The faster format of having a race every two episodes works really well. Both Riku and Sakurai are also getting their backstories right now, which in retrospect is something I should've seen coming. The focus on the first episodes was more to get the little arcs of all the sidecharacters out of the way.

Still exciting, also best ED of the season (I guess the one of Konosuba is nice as well).

Yep, it's a lot of fun!
I expected the focus on Rikus backstory, but Sakurais was unexpected (though it makes soooo much sense in retrospect).
Still need to watch 9, then I'm caught up again.

Qurupeke

Not sure if it was posted already, but apparently the Owarimonogatari BD/DVD comes with a new OP for the Sodachi Lost arc (ep4-6).

It's no mathemagics (whose full track is awesome btw.) but makes a decent first impression. That "self-cest" imagery is a bit weird. I suppose it's meant to symbolize Sodachi finding a side of herself she can love / accepting who she is.

I really love Marina Inoue's singing voice in the two OPs.

Oh, just noticed this post. I like it, a lot. The song isn't as good as mathemagics or maybe even decent black, but the theme, imagery and tone are great. It's really an interesting way to show Sodachi's loneliness.

Anyway, mathemagics OP>this>Ougi OP>>>....>>>Shinobu Mail OP

Love Live! has some pretty good ED transitions, if only for the fact that all the characters sing their own versions of it after their respective episodes. I always liked how they went the extra mile with it.

---------

Prince of Stride 08(?)

I think there was a missed opportunity to have each team sing an ED though.

Still GalStan has good songs on their CD. (Full version). Rush is just as good as Be My Steady.

Hi I've been on a bit of a tear of late on anime and figured it was time to stop trying to compare ANN ratings with netflix/crunchyroll and just ask here for some recommendations and pointers. If I was asked to say what I like it's art and characterisation, I enjoy some long winded philosophical blathering (although the last 1/3 of Fate/Night tested that resolve) and can't really tell if JP VA is crap so that doesn't bother me too much (not a dub snob it's just the limited voice pool makes shows blend together in my head). Most of my likes are pretty obvious, Pat Labor, Ghost in the Shell + SAC, Death Note, SAO (have to caveat this though 1-15 yay!!!!, 16-25 :/ goddamn Gary Stu MC piss off you're boring, s02 alright at least the OVA gave Yasuna something to do and the MetroidPrimeRib's post about seeing the future in Sonins ass made me lol at work), Code Geass

Gunslinger Girl - Seriously who could have guessed this was a tragedy at heart with that box art? Flicked it on for a laugh as I was hunting around Netflix, did not laugh but is probably my favourite of what's up there right now (in UK&I) and is the main reason I posted here, need more fare like this that looks at it's premise and asks 'how would people actually feel in a situation like this'. Frustratingly I can't work out who should I be following for more like this and the sequel's art was so bad I couldn't get through the first episode (that 'riot' and the simpler even more Moe face designs). Does season 2 get better as the apparent focus on plot over characters is not what I cared about in Season 1.

Psycho-Pass & Death Pass - Really liked these and had quite a few bad days at the office after '1 more episode' binges. I even liked the Psycho Pass sequel even if the antagonist is kind of ridiculous and the side characters far less well drawn. Any recommendations for similar crime mystery stuff?

Knights of Sidonia - Gosh this is nonsense but fun, shame the second season has turned full on harem with the fan service dialled way up but I enjoy the interactions between the team and quite liked the dub. As it seems like this stuff is at least 25% of the market any other fun fluff shows like this?

Girls und Panzer, Arpeggio of Blue Steel - So after banging on about characterisation I have to confess if you make cool looking stuff I'll forgive a lot. Like all the gross bits of GuP because overall it's actually quite sweet and has awesome looking tanks with a frightening level of detail. AoBS has cool boats and the odd good joke but mostly cool boats that allowed me to groan through the fan service. Is this genre mostly fan service?

Cheers for any replies and for sharing in here I've already seen a few shows I'll have to chase down just rummaging through the last few pages

pbayne

Hi I've been on a bit of a tear of late on anime and figured it was time to stop trying to compare ANN ratings with netflix/crunchyroll and just ask here for some recommendations and pointers. If I was asked to say what I like it's art and characterisation, I enjoy some long winded philosophical blathering

For some philosophical/physiological leaning shows with great atmosphere and characters maybe try some these:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/30/Neon_Genesis_Evangelion
http://myanimelist.net/anime/486/Kino_no_Tabi__The_Beautiful_World
http://myanimelist.net/anime/440/Shoujo_Kakumei_Utena
http://myanimelist.net/anime/7588/Saraiya_Goyou
http://myanimelist.net/anime/7785/Yojouhan_Shinwa_Taikei
http://myanimelist.net/anime/457/Mushishi
http://myanimelist.net/anime/437/Perfect_Blue

The first half of the title. Girls are icky.
So icky
There's gross bits in girls and panzer? I guess the bath stuff maybe.
Yup and the sudden tendency for the black haired manic counsel member to randomly show up in a bikini. They seem just young enough that I didn't need them to discuss crap in an onsen, a cafe would work just as well especially as the show doesn't actually indulge much otherwise (at least versus AoBS). The less said about the beach trip/camping OVAs the better.
For some philosophical/physiological leaning shows with great atmosphere and characters maybe try some these:
Cheers!

phaze

Hi I've been on a bit of a tear of late on anime and figured it was time to stop trying to compare ANN ratings with netflix/crunchyroll and just ask here for some recommendations and pointers. If I was asked to say what I like it's art and characterisation, I enjoy some long winded philosophical blathering (although the last 1/3 of Fate/Night tested that resolve) and can't really tell if JP VA is crap so that doesn't bother me too much (not a dub snob it's just the limited voice pool makes shows blend together in my head). Most of my likes are pretty obvious, Pat Labor, Ghost in the Shell + SAC, Death Note, SAO (have to caveat this though 1-15 yay!!!!, 16-25 :/ goddamn Gary Stu MC piss off you're boring, s02 alright at least the OVA gave Yasuna something to do and the MetroidPrimeRib's post about seeing the future in Sonins ass made me lol at work), Code Geass

Gunslinger Girl - Seriously who could have guessed this was a tragedy at heart with that box art? Flicked it on for a laugh as I was hunting around Netflix, did not laugh but is probably my favourite of what's up there right now (in UK&I) and is the main reason I posted here, need more fare like this that looks at it's premise and asks 'how would people actually feel in a situation like this'. Frustratingly I can't work out who should I be following for more like this and the sequel's art was so bad I couldn't get through the first episode (that 'riot' and the simpler even more Moe face designs). Does season 2 get better as the apparent focus on plot over characters is not what I cared about in Season 1.

Psycho-Pass & Death Pass - Really liked these and had quite a few bad days at the office after '1 more episode' binges. I even liked the Psycho Pass sequel even if the antagonist is kind of ridiculous and the side characters far less well drawn. Any recommendations for similar crime mystery stuff?

Knights of Sidonia - Gosh this is nonsense but fun, shame the second season has turned full on harem with the fan service dialled way up but I enjoy the interactions between the team and quite liked the dub. As it seems like this stuff is at least 25% of the market any other fun fluff shows like this?

Girls und Panzer, Arpeggio of Blue Steel - So after banging on about characterisation I have to confess if you make cool looking stuff I'll forgive a lot. Like all the gross bits of GuP because overall it's actually quite sweet and has awesome looking tanks with a frightening level of detail. AoBS has cool boats and the odd good joke but mostly cool boats that allowed me to groan through the fan service. Is this genre mostly fan service?

Cheers for any replies and for sharing in here I've already seen a few shows I'll have to chase down just rummaging through the last few pages

Hmmm, out of the more serious works, more or less within the GitS-Gunslinger Girls range I'd recommend you check out the below listed to see if anything tickles your fancy.

Fate/Zero
Shigurui
Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
Aku no Hana
Mononoke
Madoka Magica
Shin Sekai Yori
Mushishi
House of Five Leaves

If it's long winded monologues you want then Ergo Proxy should be to your liking though it doesn't seem to popular round these parts.

Artwise I'd go for Kyousougiga, Mawaru Penguindrum, Tatami Galaxy which outside of having some great and unique designs are very good shows in their own right. You can lump Madoka in this category too.

cheezcake

GAF

What anime released over the ~last year~ is worth a watch? Don't worry about my tastes I will try anything
unless there is too much moe

jonjonaug

GAF

What anime released over the ~last year~ is worth a watch? Don't worry about my tastes I will try anything
Prison School, Yurikuma, Ore Monogatari, Wooser season 3, Osomatsu, and the Psycho-Pass movie are everything I would rate 8 out of 10 and above I think.

GAF

Shashinkan
Sound! Euphonium
When Marnie Was There
Garo the Animation
Shounen Hollywood
Yamato 2199: Odyssey of the Celestial Ark
The Diary of Ochibi
Kagewani
Miss Hokusai
Kanon
Concrete Revolutio
Yona of the Dawn
Koufuku Graffiti
Working!!!
Sore ga Seiyuu
Haikyuu S2
Bureau of Proto Society
Show by Rock
Ghost in the Shell: New Movie
Gundam the Origin
Endless Night
Cassette Girl
Boruto: Naruto the Movie
The Ultraman
Teekyuu
Bubu and Bubulina

Wish Upon the Pleiades
Majin Bone
This Boy is a Professional Wizard
Tabi Machi Late Show
Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu

(Sorry for the disorganization; copied this directly from my personal 2015 ranking list.)

Cornbread78

GAF

Here is a good place to look at what GAF liked:

Anime of the Year results
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1178856&highlight=anime+of+the+year

AOTY Voting:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1163376&highlight=anime+of+the+year

Personally:
  • YOUR LIE IN APRIL
  • SNAFU TOO
  • PLASTIC MEMORIES
  • OWARIMONOGATARI (if you have watched the rest of the * monogatari series)
  • CROSS ANGE
  • ORE MONOGATARI (My Love Story)
  • IS IT OK TO PICK UP GIRLS IN A DUNGEON
  • SOMA: Food Wars
  • ETOTAMA
  • CHARLOTTE
  • YAMADA-KUN AND THE SEVEN WITCHES
  • ROKKA
  • SHIMONETA
  • GATE
  • WORKING!!!
  • Snow White with the Red Hair
  • Log Horizon
  • Actually, I Am

Sölf

JoJo Stardust Crusader's 45-48 END
Well, that was the fight against Dio. And oh boy, that was pretty awesome. WRRRRYYYYY!!!

That aside, overall I liked part 1 and 2 more. Part 3 was too much of the same, imo. The fights itself were different enough, but it just wasn't as interesting to watch. Which is why I paused S1 and S2 of Stardust over time. It was still a really good show but I really hope part 4 will be more like 1 and 2 (or completely different).

JoJo: Stardust Crusaders - 32

Well, that bath scene was certainly bizarre. Though it doesn't get much weirder than that orangutan + small girl fanservice stuff from an earlier episode. That was some messed up creeper shit.

pbayne

Sölf;197439640 said:
JoJo Stardust Crusader's 45-48 END
Well, that was the fight against Dio. And oh boy, that was pretty awesome. WRRRRYYYYY!!!

That aside, overall I liked part 1 and 2 more. Part 3 was too much of the same, imo. The fights itself were different enough, but it just wasn't as interesting to watch. Which is why I paused S1 and S2 of Stardust over time. It was still a really good show but I really hope part 4 will be more like 1 and 2 (or completely different).

The old OVAs version of the DIO fight is pretty awesome and had some really clever ways to show The World's power
(like displaying it in real-time from Jotaro's POV).

I think it's still up on Youtube. Definitely check it out if only to see to watch a hype fight again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom