• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

For a new page:

Next Let's Watch is up: Mononoke
HTf49zF.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=191879733#post191879733

did you end up posting final impressions?

I just now finished it thanks to getting distracted last night. I'm not even sure what I would say about it besides that it's a far better version of The Fast and the Furious movies. Plot is actually pretty solid - nothing amazing, but not distracting in any way - which was a huge surprise. Animation is obviously absurdly well-done, especially the usage of extreme perspective throughout both the action scenes AND the dialogue.

Personally though, I fell in love with the character designs. Each character was unique and had a variety of details to keep the eye interested. The romance between Sonoshee and JP was also really good.
My assumption is that they die at the end, being bodily propelled at <400mph (km/h maybe, either way..) doesn't seem very conducive to living, and that works out perfectly for me. It's a beautiful way to end it - two people in love dying doing what they have always dreamed of.

My only complaint is that I really, really hated the fight scenes between the giant monsters and the political themes. This show really shined during the actual racing and I think we didn't get nearly enough of that. Compared to the intensity of JP dropping a nitro, the monster fight just seemed lame. Similarly, almost every scene outside of the Robo-government was either introducing us to cool new elements of the race world or being hilarious in general so when we were forced to watch Robo-politics it just bogged everything down.

I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it a damn lot. Like, god damn, I enjoyed that movie a whole fucking lot. That doesn't quite get across how much I enjoyed it, but it's close. Still not as good as the race in the opening of Shirobako Ep.1 tho.

I admit the fanbase can get pretty crazy throwing the memes everywhere, but it shouldn't stop people from giving the game a shot, as I genuinely believe it to be one the most, if not the most, well-written and heartfelt RPG game of 2015.

Aokana - 1

So something about this show interests me. I mean, like most other VN adaptations, there's not much to it and it isn't exactly good, per say. But what I find fascinating is that this is a VN adaptation were the main point of view most of the time comes from the main girl, rather than the male MC.

I mean, he's still there, but most of the focus is on her rather than him. What surprises me even more is just how tame everything is in this show...until the middle that is, where the common "here's the male MC walking in on a girl changing cliché" trope comes in.

But what really befuddles me is just how contrived the scenario for the trope is this time. I should clarify. He didn't exactly walk in on her changing, no. He walked into his room, looked out the window, and right in front of him was her changing in her own room while her own windows were open at night with a light on. And you know what else?

It leads to absolutely nothing. I mean that literally. It never gets brought up again, none of the main girls were involved, and the girl he walked in on never shows up again and is not even named (for now, anyway I assume).

Is there some sort of law that has these VN and LN makers absolutely HAVE to include one of these scenes every time there's one male amongst a bunch of females or else? The way it was done here feels almost passive-aggressive, like it was done because they felt it was absolutely needed to be in there just to get it over with.

It's a real shame it's there, because without it you just have a remarkably inoffensive and tame first episode for shows like these. Granted that's not saying much, but if it went the whole way without that scene, I would have been freaking impressed.

But oh well, visual novel harem anime adaptation. What can you do. ¯\_(&#12484;)_/¯.

Exalted

What in the? What show is this? Is this some little kiddie stuff like that Crimson show?

A fantasy version of Asterisk and Chavalry, you have a princess , an academy and a younger sister at the academy, and battle matches for ranking.

Edir: Almost forget, the only big difference is he is the only male at the academy full of girls.

A fantasy version of Asterisk and Chavalry, you have a princess , an academy and a younger sister at the academy, and battle matches for ranking.

Edir: Almost forget, the only big difference is he is the only male at the academy full of girls.

so the only big difference it's even more generic lol

Dagashi Kashi Episode 1

Kokonatsu made it a must watch but wow most of the cast beyond him is pretty dull. Hotaru tries to be fun but I never laugh.

Oh well, Kokonatsu up there for one of the best looking male characters of the season. Will keep watching.

Cornbread78

What's it called?

T-Rex.

Banned
Bakemonogatari [1-3]
Tbh the first 20 seconds or so of episode 1 lowered my expectations. It wasn't what I was expecting and after that I was thinking I'd probably end up dropping the show. If I had done that I'd have made a terrible decision (based on the few episodes I've seen) so thanks Anime Gaf. There's a lot I could say, but I want to get back to watching so I'll just post a few quick thoughts.

Senjougahara's trolling of Araragi is fantastic. I especially loved episode 3 as their scenes together were absolute gold. Oh and when he beats up that elementary school kid in the episode lmao, I couldn't stop laughing at how pleased he was with himself. Overall I'm loving it so far. Good art style, directing, characters, story.

Dresden

Stuff I watched or tried watching last night:

Kagewani - 1

This is pretty cool. I'll watch more.

Dimension W - 1

Didn't finish, was bad. Lingers a little too much on the robotic catgirl thing, bot as service, servicing fans. Seems like a show enjoyed more as the occasional webm.

Dagashi Kashi - 1

More tolerable in manga form. And I don't remember Saya being this attached/clingy in the comic, which feels like an unfortunate turn for her. Dropping.

Gundam, Orphans, Iron Blooded - 1

It was ok. I'll watch more.

Ascheroth

That Bahamut thing - 01

So this is basically a combination of Asterisk/Cavalry + Infinte Stratos.

-----
For Woof: Now you can also FEEL ROCK EMOTION while playing Dragons Dogma (when it comes out). Just replace the title music file with the one I made. Quote to reveal the link~

TUSR

Banned
Kizumonogatari US Theater Dates

• Tempe, AZ: Harkins Theatres - Valley Art (February 26-March 3)
  • Los Angeles, CA: Downtown Independent (February 26, 27)
  • Sacramento, CA: Tower Theater (March 1, 5)
  • San Diego, California: Angelika Carmel Mountain (March 1, 5)
  • San Francisco, CA: New People (February 27)
  • Littleton, CO: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Littleton (February 28, 29, March 3)
  • Fort Lauderdale, FL: Cinema Paradiso - Fort Lauderdale (February 27)
  • Honolulu, HI: Ward Stadium 16 (March 1, 5)
  • Chicago, IL: Music Box (TBA)
  • Bloomfield, MI: The Maple Theater (February 27)
  • Kansas City, MO: Alamo Drafthouse Mainstreet (March 1)
  • Manville, NJ: Manville 12 Plex (March 1, 5)
  • Albuquerque, NM: The Guild Cinema (March 4, 5)
  • New York, NY: Village East Cinema (March 1, 5)
  • Columbus, OH: Gateway Film Center (February 27, 28, March 2)
  • Pittsburgh, PA: The Hollywood Theater (February 27, 28, March 1)
  • Austin, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Austin Lakeline (February 27)
  • Dallas, Texas: Angelika Film Center & Café - Dallas (March 1, 5)
  • Houston, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Mason Park (February 27)
  • San Antonio, TX: Alamo Drafthouse Cinema Westlakes (February 28)
  • Sandy, UT: Megaplex &#8211; Jordan Commons (February 27)
  • Fairfax, VA: Angelika Film Center & Café - Mosaic (March 1, 5)
  • Seattle, WA: Grand Illusion (February 27, 28)
  • Washington DC: Angelika Pop-Up (March 1, 5)

Cornbread78

Bakemonogatari [1-3]
Tbh the first 20 seconds or so of episode 1 lowered my expectations. It wasn't what I was expecting and after that I was thinking I'd probably end up dropping the show. If I had done that I'd have made a terrible decision (based on the few episodes I've seen) so thanks Anime Gaf. There's a lot I could say, but I want to get back to watching so I'll just post a few quick thoughts.

Senjougahara's trolling of Araragi is fantastic. I especially loved episode 3 as their scenes together were absolute gold. Oh and when he beats up that elementary school kid in the episode lmao, I couldn't stop laughing at how pleased he was with himself. Overall I'm loving it so far. Good art style, directing, characters, story.

Senjougahara is the best girl by far. That isn't even her final form.

Finished Silver spoon s2 today, man it really didn't hold back on the reality of being a small agriculture business in a world where consolidation and automation has become king.

Still probably the best show I've seen in a really long time.

Long Live Pork Bowl.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Why does the Music Box have to be so lazy and out of it? "TBA"...come on...

Cornbread78

Fuck, not a single New England showing.

She's great. I can't see any of the other female characters in the series being as good as her, but I need to watch them all before I can say it for sure!

You will see just how amazing she is as the season goes. She is the focal point of one of my favorite all-time anime episodes coming up.

Oh and be warned, thete is A LOT of fanservice in the *monogatari series. But the story is great and worth it. Plus Araragi is just a perv in general, lol.

The Big O

Oh man, Big O. I...really do not know what to think of this show.

Big O...goes some places. Some weird, post-modern places. The second half of the show, and especially the last few episodes are just weird. Normally I would be into that sort of thing, but I'm not sure it benefited the show. I think I would have preferred it if all the Rosewater, Union, Megedues and Dominus, Metropolis stuff didn't end up being the main story, and if the main antagonist was Schwarzvald, who I found to be the perfect foil to Roger.

I don't really have much to say about Big O. I enjoyed it, but the direction it ended up taking didn't really seem fitting to me or representing of what I liked about the show. I'm glad I watched it, though.

Bakemonogatari [1-3]
Tbh the first 20 seconds or so of episode 1 lowered my expectations.

You just don't appreciate the Most Meaningful Panty Shot ™ in history

I don't really get why Sans seems to be the character people gravitate towards for Undertale avatars. There are lots of other characters in the game as well.

Easy.

Is there an industry reason why most EDs are like way too soft poppy tunes?

None of them will ever beat the Hunter x Hunter power metal one. Well besides that one Samurai X ED.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom