• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

For a new page:

Next Let's Watch is up: Mononoke
HTf49zF.gif

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=191879733#post191879733

Damn, missed it by two posts, lol.

Quasar

My Sony Xperia™ phone plays stuff fine. MX Player is great for anyone with Android™ too.

Android also has kodi.

I think more at issue what kinds of subs devices support. Support for say .ass/.ssa or .srt formats have the issues mkv has in terms of support. Just even more niche.

John Blade

not many media players in non-PC hardware do.

Depend on what you have. For me, I am using my Nivida Shield Tablet to play my Anime on the go and it work fine either on FLV player or MX player.

For home, I use WD TV Live with an external HDD and it play all my anime show/movie, on DVD and Blu-ray well with subtitle. Kinda old now but work.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - My Conquest is the Sea of Stars

This is the big one. Yes, I watched Gintama last year and Gintama is an incredibly high quality series with more then double the episodes of this series, and yes I finished Revolutionary Girl Utena a little over a month ago, and I even rated both of those a 10/10. Those are certainly "big ones." But I feel that the reverence and nigh-unanimous respect for Legend of the Galactic Heroes eclipses Utena, Evangelion, Mushi-shi, Cowboy Bebop, Monster, Ping Pong, damn near everything that is held in high regard, Legend of the Galactic Heroes manages to stand above all of them in the general hierarchy, I feel. Like a lot of people, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has sat on the backlog for years, the combination of that respect and the episode count always making me brush it off to "some other time." Well, as I said above, last year I completed Gintama which had double the episodes of LOGH, and one of the handful of series that I could think of that could be considered equal to LOGH in the general canon - Utena - I also finished. I feel like I'm finally ready to stop meandering about and tackle this beast. These impressions are just from My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, and it is so far the only LOGH media I have consumed.

Space Opera is a genre I enjoy, and in a broader sense Science Fiction is a genre I enjoy a lot. Star Trek: The Next Generation (and pretty much only TNG) is one of my favorite television series and I really adore Roddenberry's utopic vision of the future. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is one of my favorite anime series. Mobile Suit Gundam's Universal Century has its highs and lows, but at it's Newtype core lies some of the more interesting depictions of the future of humanity. My Conquest is the Sea of Stars begins with a text crawl set to the backdrop of the stars, the connection to the largest and most popular Space Opera and Sci-Fi in general series of them all - Star Wars - is not lost on me. But Legend of the Galactic Heroes does not fall in line with any of these series, I feel. Legend of the Galactic Heroes strikes me as more of a philosophical expedition, one focused on the aspects of war, history, politics, humanity and heroes all intermingled and inseparable. In that sense, I suppose it is somewhat related to Mobile Suit Gundam or Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I think there are still key differences.

First, the scale. I've heard that Legend of the Galactic Heroes features a downright massive cast, but that isn't something I can really comment on right now. Aside from the cast, the scale of the warfare being conducted here is different. It is typical for Sci-Fi to focus on one ship, be that the Enterprise, the Millennium Falcon, the White Base, the Yamato, the Normandy. In Legend of the Galactic Heroes, it is not one ship fighting against many, or one ship fighting against a few. It is a thousand ships against a thousand. Yes, the Empire in Star Wars is huge and they have huge ships. Starfleet and the Federation are massive as well. But the stories in those series do not focus on the might of those forces (yeah they probably do in side books, but I don't give a shit about the EU or any of that) but rather on the few individuals who spectacularly turn the tide of battle by being an active participant in the combat. Not so in LOGH. This is akin to a World War I or II series in space, not about miraculous victories in the face of total defeat or one man armies, but about careful, calculated movements. The protagonists are high ranking officers, not soldiers on the field. As an obvious partner to that, the scale of death is massive. It is in other series as well - planets explode in Star Wars, even. But it is not the focus, and it is hardly given any pause. Death is constantly on the LOGH soldier's mind. Space warfare is terrifying, like a submarine battle but in an even colder and more desolate environment. One well placed shot, one unlucky hit, one pierced hull and it is over. These ships are large, they carry thousands, and yet the collective lives on the ships can be snuffed out like ants, with zero effect on the cold, unfeeling and infinite expanse of Space. That is how I have always envisioned space warfare. It somewhat reminds me of Gunbuster, but probably because My Conquest and Gunbuster were released around the same time.

The average soldier is beyond expandable. Two soldiers, a veteran and a newcomer share a short conversation after hearing a message about the battle tomorrow, already named, already set, almost as if it was planned. The veteran comments that it might as well be planned, as this was has been going on 150 years with no end in sight and there is no chance a single battle will have any effect on bringing it close to the end. It will be another minor loss, another minor victory. In that sense, it might as well be planned. He continues that what isn't planned is which of them will survive, that that is something you cannot find out by reading a schedule. Immediately after, the two go to a bar and cabaret club, where they find tons of other soldiers, because they are shipping out tomorrow. Cut to the higher ranking officers, sipping on fine alcohol, playing pool and listening to piano. The distinction is obvious, but effective for an hour long introduction.

As for other things, I love the aesthetic and character designs, definitely a strong point in an already strong product. I am interested in the characters of Yang Wen-Li and Reinhard, despite little being shown of them outside of their tactical mindsets but as a first introduction to the series, My Conquest is the Sea of Stars more then satisfies my curiosity, which is impressive for a 60 minute long introduction to an 110 episode long series and certainly serves the purpose.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - My Conquest is the Sea of Stars

This is the big one. Yes, I watched Gintama last year and Gintama is an incredibly high quality series with more then double the episodes of this series, and yes I finished Revolutionary Girl Utena a little over a month ago, and I even rated both of those a 10/10. Those are certainly "big ones." But I feel that the reverence and nigh-unanimous respect for Legend of the Galactic Heroes eclipses Utena, Evangelion, Mushi-shi, Cowboy Bebop, Monster, Ping Pong, damn near everything that is held in high regard, Legend of the Galactic Heroes manages to stand above all of them in the general hierarchy, I feel. Like a lot of people, Legend of the Galactic Heroes has sat on the backlog for years, the combination of that respect and the episode count always making me brush it off to "some other time." Well, as I said above, last year I completed Gintama which had double the episodes of LOGH, and one of the handful of series that I could think of that could be considered equal to LOGH in the general canon - Utena - I also finished. I feel like I'm finally ready to stop meandering about and tackle this beast. These impressions are just from My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, and it is so far the only LOGH media I have consumed.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes definitely has a lot of passionate fans, and for good reason. I don't think it quite deserves "best anime ever" status - much of the OVA series is visually uninteresting and relies on its writing more than anything else, with the movie Overture to a New War showing how the story could be told in a way that takes advantage of the visual medium. Also, the Earth Cult stands out as an ugly caricature in a series that is generally thoughtful in how it approaches different factions and characters. But the scope of the whole series is undeniably impressive, the kind of scope that only a long series of fantasy or science fiction novels can have, and it generally does a good job of fleshing out its world and the hundreds of characters that inhabit it. The main characters and events are quite memorable.

Space Opera is a genre I enjoy, and in a broader sense Science Fiction is a genre I enjoy a lot. Star Trek: The Next Generation (and pretty much only TNG) is one of my favorite television series and I really adore Roddenberry's utopic vision of the future. Space Battleship Yamato 2199 is one of my favorite anime series. Mobile Suit Gundam's Universal Century has its highs and lows, but at it's Newtype core lies some of the more interesting depictions of the future of humanity. My Conquest is the Sea of Stars begins with a text crawl set to the backdrop of the stars, the connection to the largest and most popular Space Opera and Sci-Fi in general series of them all - Star Wars - is not lost on me. But Legend of the Galactic Heroes does not fall in line with any of these series, I feel. Legend of the Galactic Heroes strikes me as more of a philosophical expedition, one focused on the aspects of war, history, politics, humanity and heroes all intermingled and inseparable. In that sense, I suppose it is somewhat related to Mobile Suit Gundam or Star Trek: The Next Generation, but I think there are still key differences.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes is unusual for science fiction in that it really doesn't care about the "science" part, and indeed culturally it is unabashedly anachronistic in the Empire being 19th century Germany and the Alliance being a 20th century Western democracy. Its primary interest is in politics - if I had to pick out a key issue the series deals with, it would be the difference between various forms of government, and particularly whether a benevolent dictatorship might not be preferable to a corrupt democracy. A thousand smaller character dramas play out against this large backdrop.

Clov

that reminds me when does the LOGH blu-ray come out again?

Sentai's still working on it. I still expect it to release sometime this year. It won't look particularly good though; the BDs in Japan were upscaled, and had the same reanimated footage from previous DVD versions. I think the best way to watch LOGH with all its original footage would be the Laserdisc release. It's really too bad.

I do think the movies got an HD transfer, but I don't think Sentai has those.

Sentai's still working on it. I still expect it to release sometime this year. It won't look particularly good though; the BDs in Japan were upscaled, and had the same reanimated footage from previous DVD versions. I think the best way to watch LOGH with all its original footage would be the Laserdisc release. It's really too bad.

Yeah, what I've seen from the Legend of Galactic Heroes BDs look pretty bad. I can't recommend them.

Yeah, what I've seen from the Legend of Galactic Heroes BDs look pretty bad. I can't recommend them.
is there another option for HQ though? I don't think it's in a streaming service, unless it's supposed to come to one at the same time as the blu ray.

Clov

I'm not even sure why the BDs were upscaled. It could have just been laziness, since upscaling that many episodes takes a lot less effort and money than doing a proper HD transfer. The fact that parts of the it were reanimated earlier makes me wonder if the film masters were partially or entirely lost. There's also the possibility that it was one of those weird anime mastered on tape.

Not sure what it could be, but it frustrates me greatly that a series this good has gotten such a poor BD release.

JCG

It's always good to see someone embarking on the rewarding path of watching LOGH.

This is definitely one of the great anime productions of all time because of its sheer scope and ambition. Which wouldn't even exist without the original novels as a solid foundation for its basic qualities, to be sure, but presumably most LOGH fans outside of Asia haven't had the opportunity to read them. I am certainly looking forward to checking those out as soon as possible. If I had to compare this OVA series to anything outside of anime, I would tend to think of Babylon 5, although that's already pretty old and I don't know if it is still cool to like that.

In any case, I don't have a lot of complaints about the show itself. Admittedly, the visuals aren't always interesting to look at, despite the generally good art direction, and you absolutely need a lot of appreciation for talking heads. It's still a little sad how a few of the fans can be...fanatical to the point of irrationality though. Which is kind of ironic, considering that you ostensibly need to be fairly cerebral to get into the series and how the story does portray blind devotion as more of a flaw than a virtue.

Cornbread78

Kare Kano ep.4
What a cute episode. Watching her fail over and over again at her confession plan was hilarious. Her imouto's love wisdome was great as well. Ultimately, her execution was perfect and that's all it takes. Really good stuff.

It's always good to see someone embarking on the rewarding path of watching LOGH.

This is definitely one of the great anime productions of all time because of its sheer scope and ambition. Which wouldn't even exist without the original novels as a solid foundation for its basic qualities, to be sure, but presumably most LOGH fans outside of Asia haven't had the opportunity to read them. I am certainly looking forward to checking those out as soon as possible. If I had to compare this OVA series to anything outside of anime, I would tend to think of Babylon 5, although that's already pretty old and I don't know if it is still cool to like that.

In any case, I don't have a lot of complaints about the show itself. Admittedly, the visuals aren't always interesting to look at, despite the generally good art direction, and you absolutely need a lot of appreciation for talking heads. It's still a little sad how a few of the fans can be...fanatical to the point of irrationality though. Which is kind of ironic, considering that you ostensibly need to be fairly cerebral to get into the series and how the story does portray blind devotion as more of a flaw than a virtue.

I only compared it to Sci-Fi series I like/have experience with and Babylon 5 isn't one of them.

I'm fine with talking heads, I also watched all of Monogatari last year!

Haikyuu S2 14

I've seen some people upset that this series spends so much time away from "real" matches, but I appreciate that it takes this time to flesh out the characters and their struggles. It helps me get more invested in their success if I've spent time with them off the court instead of everything being laser focused on games that take ages to finish. I do wonder how far the rest of the season will go though.

New ED is dope. Tetsuya Nishio bringing it.

JCG

I only compared it to Sci-Fi series I like/have experience with and Babylon 5 isn't one of them.

I'm fine with talking heads, I also watched all of Monogatari last year!

Absolutely. I wasn't questioning your comparisons, just adding one of my own.

Then be prepared to see lots of old men frowning and glasses of wine breaking.

How did you approach this? Did you just squeeze in episodes whenever you could and sideline all other hobbies? I need help!

Slow and steady, but Gintama will cannibalize multiple other series by itself. It took me 9 or so months going at a pretty steady pace. I also usually watched an episode when I ate dinner.

You should watch Babylon 5; it's a really impressive piece of television.

There are a lot of TV series I need to watch! I pretty much only keep up with South Park and Always Sunny nowadays

Haikyuu S2 14

I've seen some people upset that this series spends so much time away from "real" matches, but I appreciate that it takes this time to flesh out the characters and their struggles. It helps me get more invested in their success if I've spent time with them off the court instead of everything being laser focused on games that take ages to finish. I do wonder how far the rest of the season will go though.

New ED is dope. Tetsuya Nishio bringing it.
I never understand when people make that complaint unless they want everyone to be prodigees and overcome their weaknesses midmatch with no practice or anything at all. I think its what sets Haikyuu!! apart from other sports series.

Though with all this time, its saddening that Kinoshita, Narita, and Ennoshita got nothing at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom