• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JCG

Oh yeah, there's one key piece of advice for anyone starting to watch LOGH.

Do not see the next episode previews.

The narrator sometimes spoils stuff too, but some of these can be thoroughly blatant about major events in the TV series.

JCG

or watch the previews like a normal person & stop caring about spoilers already

I would usually agree, because most spoilers are acceptable to me, but there are a couple of very specific situations in this show where revealing everything is probably not the wisest move.

It might not ruin your experience as a whole, the show is great regardless, but it can be like suddenly getting a glass of cold water thrown in your face.

wonzo

Banned
galko is good

nakama

I would usually agree, because most spoilers are acceptable to me, but there are a couple of very specific situations in this show where revealing everything is probably not the wisest move.

It might not ruin your experience as a whole, the show is great regardless, but it can be like suddenly getting a glass of cold water thrown in your face.

nah, i knew about a certain prominent characters death (and others i haven't seen yet) well before seeing it & it wasn't any less sad or shocking. good direction trumps all

Line_HTX

As an FGC enthusiast, I'm trying hard to imagine just how much worse the King of Fighters anime can be compared to the Blazblue anime.

Russ T

Banned
I don't watch previews ever, really, and it's not because I care about spoilers. I'm the least spoiler averse person I know.

I'm confused why anyone would watch them!

Especially in something like LOGH which is all already out, so that whole anticipation factor shouldn't even kick in!

LOGH is not really a show where knowing what will happen matters much. There's maybe two significant twists in the entire show and I had both of those spoiled for me and it didn't affect my enjoyment of the series.

I don't watch previews ever, really, and it's not because I care about spoilers. I'm the least spoiler averse person I know.

I'm confused why anyone would watch them!

Especially in something like LOGH which is all already out, so that whole anticipation factor shouldn't even kick in!

Sometimes next episode previews are well done, and skipping them would really be missing out, such as in Votoms or Koufuku Graffiti.

Narag

Previews are the best. They're part of the VOTOMS experience and the best music from Yamato 2199 and Giant Robo are tucked away in the previews!!

JCG

nah, i knew about a certain prominent characters death (and others i haven't seen yet) well before seeing it & it wasn't any less sad or shocking. good direction trumps all

Fair enough, but I think it's worth warning people who might not react the same way. If the idea of getting something major spoiled for the audience by the show itself without any tact doesn't sound like a good plan, new viewers should know that can -and will- happen here.

I don't think it was a smart move, neither creatively nor in terms of storytelling, for certain previews to literally spell everything out in a completely unsubtle manner. The actual spoiled scenes in question still work, of course. I am not criticizing how they were pulled off.

Sometimes next episode previews are well done, and skipping them would really be missing out, such as in Votoms or Koufuku Graffiti.

Previews are the best. They're part of the VOTOMS experience and the best music from Yamato 2199 and Giant Robo are tucked away in the previews!!

I like a lot of next episode previews. Votoms and Yamato 2199 definitely know how to do them well. I wouldn't tell people to skip them as a general rule. But most of the time, that's because those series know what to reveal and what to keep quiet. They're more subtle.

Narag

I like a lot of next previews. Votoms and Yamato 2199 definitely know how to do them well.

But most of the time, those know what to reveal and what to keep quiet. They're more subtle.

I remember there was one Yamato 2199 preview that talked about jumping out to Mars in it but in the episode I was floored when they went to Jupiter instead. I thought it was the ultimate type of swerve in the preview game since it outright lied to me.

Then duckroll told me the subs were just mistranslated and I felt stupid. The end.

Line_HTX

Would anime-gaf describe it as slice of life?

Blazblue is not slice of life. Honestly, the games' story mode starting in Continuum Shift Extend gives a better rundown of Calamity Trigger and is more anime without the cringe of an adaptation.

This adaptation is about the stupidest thing you can witness. The move list isn't even done well, and the fights were lamer than the games' cutscenes. If you want to watch it for shits and giggles, go ahead. At least it's 12 episodes so you can get it over quickly and move on.

Narag

Blazblue is not slice of life. Honestly, the games' story mode starting in Continuum Shift Extend gives a better rundown of Calamity Trigger and is more anime without the cringe of an adaptation.

This adaptation is about the stupidest thing you can witness. The move list isn't even done well, and the fights were lamer than the games' cutscenes. If you want to watch it for shits and giggles, go ahead. At least it's 12 episodes so you can get it over quickly and move on.

I think I'd just as well go watch old Obari snk stuff again!

blurr

I plan on watching Shouwa Rakugo, heard enough people say it is good but first episode is long and I'm tired by the time I reach home x__x

can't really bring myself to watch anything these (week)days

JCG

I remember there was one Yamato 2199 preview that talked about jumping out to Mars in it but in the episode I was floored when they went to Jupiter instead. I thought it was the ultimate type of swerve in the preview game since it outright lied to me.

Then duckroll told me the subs were just mistranslated and I felt stupid. The end.

Pretty amusing to hear that. Which reminds me...Goro Taniguchi can be pretty quirky with his next episode previews. Even in the shows that don't have a lot of twists. I haven't heard anyone specifically praise the ones for Planetes and Maria (both of which were very similar previews, stylistically speaking), but I enjoyed them.

Garo the Animation 2

I really liked how this episode cut between different characters. There were clever choices there, such as when it moved from Leon about to punch his father to Alfonso's sword striking a soldier's in practice, or when it transitioned from Leon and Germain starting to open a door to the "priest" opening another one. The episode did a good job balancing between ongoing plots such as Mendoza's takeover of the kingdom with localized plots such as the trumped up witch hunt. I also like the father-son dynamic that's being developed between Leon and Germain; both of them are rather flawed in themselves and with each other, so it'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

Well, that is a matter of taste but it is still a good show.

I really enjoyed that first episode, but there were parts that dragged a bit for me. I'll have to watch more to see if I only enjoyed the first episode because of how different it was to everything else, or if I'm legitimately interested in what's going on in the story.

Narag

Damekko Doubutsu 10
3n73NSdl.png
Living the dream.

Garo the Animation 2

I really liked how this episode cut between different characters. There were clever choices there, such as when it moved from Leon about to punch his father to Alfonso's sword striking a soldier's in practice, or when it transitioned from Leon and Germain starting to open a door to the "priest" opening another one. The episode did a good job balancing between ongoing plots such as Mendoza's takeover of the kingdom with localized plots such as the trumped up witch hunt. I also like the father-son dynamic that's being developed between Leon and Germain; both of them are rather flawed in themselves and with each other, so it'll be interesting to see where they go from here.

Everyone needs to be like this guy!
Watch Garo nerds! It's a down season! The first season of Garo is basically Berserk meets a sentai show! I mean look at this!
Look how fucking metal that is!

The second season is...oh...hmm, where did I put that vodka?

JulianImp

Tried watching the second episode of Demonbane, but it still was little more than a trashy show with no redeeming elements. The MC just wrecked a whole city fighting with his humungous magical mecha alongside a grimoire that takes the physical form of a little girl (that he had to kiss to enter a covenant with, because why not), first against a guitar-playing "doctor" (read: random guy with a lab coat) and later against his boss, who is obviously OP but leaves before destroying the MC because reasons. Meh.

Also finished One Punch Man, which was much much better. I like how straightforward the show is in that yes, Saitama will beat every single bad guy without even working up a sweat, and the meat of the show is in what happens before his anticlimatic confrontation with the baddie of the week (read: Worf Effect to infinity).

That brutal honesty in that there's absolutely no tension to any of the confrontations feels like a gimmick that wouldn't work too well in the longer term, but it works great as a parody of shonen battle series. One thing it made me wonder is why would I be angry at Saitama being guaranteed to win since shonen series always do that, only the MC gets beaten and has to train some more before succeeding in the end; OPM, on the other hand, skips the whole training part and focuses on the comical aspect of having a MC that's overpowered as hell right from the start and is greatly disappointed with how easily he manages to beat each and every bad guy that crosses his path, regardelss of how strong they appear to be during their one-sided fights against any other superheroes.

Durarara #25 was okay, but by now I had nearly forgotten about most of what was going on. While it's definitely a fun show, I'd say Baccano's the better one because it had less subplots going on once you learned who was who, while Durarara relies more on presenting small sub-plots that weave themselves together into the main plot line, which is quite hard to follow due to the sheer number of characters and how each and every one of them appears to have a hidden agenda (which appears to be the theme of the series).

Hmm my list of new stuff that I like this season would be:

Prince of Stride
Erased
Showa
Dimension W

Then there's stuff like GATE which is a continuation and Haikyuu and Gundam which are on their second halves, but yeah. Not a bad season at all. I like that everything is spaced out. I basically have 1 show to watch every day of the week, rather than having nothing for 5 days straight and then tons of shows on the weekend.

Garo the Animation 3

x3RUODk.jpg

I hope she's really a recurring character as she seems to be at this point, because I like her.

I like that the characters here are reasonably intelligent such that they can see through deceptions without much trouble. It's always annoying when a writer can't figure out how to make his plot work without making all his characters giant idiots.

I can see that MAPPA is being the true heir of Madhouse here, in that 2 out of 3 episodes so far have been handled by DR MOVIE. As Korean outsourcing studios go, they're pretty solid, of course, but you can still tell the difference. The world and art design is strong enough that it can carry the show though, even if the animation isn't always polished.

Everyone needs to be like this guy!
Watch Garo nerds! It's a down season! The first season of Garo is basically Berserk meets a sentai show! I mean look at this!

Look how fucking metal that is!

The second season is...oh...hmm, where did I put that vodka?

Leon has the best chest hair. I hope I get to see more of that.

So is it the general consensus that Full Metal Alchemist 2003 version had the better Openings and OST than Brotherhood?

Because after rewatching 2003 version a bit, that's how I feel so far.

Squalor

Only new stuff worthwhile to me:

Shōwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjū (number one by far)
Boku Dake ga Inai Machi (Erased)
Dimension W

Still waiting for Aijin. I hope it's good. Looks interesting.

Day-one drops on SAO clone of the season, Boring Raid, awful show with "gate" in the title that isn't GATE, and German show.

So is it the general consensus that Full Metal Alchemist 2003 version had the better Openings and OST than Brotherhood?

FMA 2003 had Michiru Oshima doing the music; hard for anyone to top her. As far as openings go, I don't know though, I'd say the openings of both series are roughly equivalent in quality.

Dimension W 1

It's totally a good idea to say "whoops, our bad" to a guy whose family your organization killed while he has his finger on a very dangerous button.

Jintor

i love episode previews that don't tell you shit and are actually just characters nattering on about whatever or having conversations

Phatmac

The openings are better for me in brotherhood. The original had the "Brothers" song which is great so it's 50/50 for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom