• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my sister needed a dvd player so I brought one to her house that I never really used before. Honestly, im not even sure where we got it.

Anyways, I turn it on and hit eject to make sure there is nothing in there... but there was.

It was a movie called Summer Wars. I had no idea what it was until I looked it up and it seems to be an anime movie that has pretty good reviews. Again, I have never seen it and have no clue where this came from. Im gonna check it out when I have some time. Maybe this will be my gateway drug to the anime?

Summer Wars is pretty great visually, but outside of the game aspect it's also a slice of life family drama/romance so if you're ok with that it makes a great movie. If you watch it and want more, you're welcome to come here and tell us what you want to watch by genre and we'll give good recommendations.

Sölf

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Episode 31

Instructor Chrono duel was actually interesting. I didnt like the ancient gears in the games and such but here he made them really nice.

Looking forward to whenever Manjoume duels. But first Kaiser.

I hope your are watching the japanese version because of the superior openings! At least the second and third opening are just way better. <3
Hm, I should actually continue with 5Ds. I am at episode 66 or something like that.

Wideface is best mail
CYiEOHsWEAMfMt6.jpg

It desperately needs a little visual flair and energy to stand out because is comedy was quite poor

Even if it's not laugh-out-loud funny, it's a pleasant enough watch, especially as Hotaru is a fun character. It's just that watching Koufuku Graffiti right now, I can't help but wonder how this would have looked like in the hands of Tatsuwa at Shaft, especially as the two series share the same preview format of having SD characters dance in front of pictures of food, only Graffiti does it much better.

Cornbread78

So my sister needed a dvd player so I brought one to her house that I never really used before. Honestly, im not even sure where we got it.

Anyways, I turn it on and hit eject to make sure there is nothing in there... but there was.

It was a movie called Summer Wars. I had no idea what it was until I looked it up and it seems to be an anime movie that has pretty good reviews. Again, I have never seen it and have no clue where this came from. Im gonna check it out when I have some time. Maybe this will be my gateway drug to the anime?

Damn, I just had to go look that up and it sounds pretty interesting actually:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/5681/Summer_Wars

Russ T

Banned
Enough people are talking about Dagashi Kashi that I guess I should give it a shot.

Honestly, a quick Google suggested it might just be ecchi anime (some of the image results focused on BREASTS), but that seems to not be the case, or at least not the whole case.

I guess that's my bad for basing my initial impression on the most popular image results for a manga that has girls in it...

what's the AG consensus for Noragami? Good? Bad?

I loved the first season; really good visual and sound direction. I haven't watched the second season, but it doesn't seem to be as good.

Enough people are talking about Dagashi Kashi that I guess I should give it a shot.

Honestly, a quick Google suggested it might just be ecchi anime (some of the image results focused on BREASTS), but that seems to not be the case, or at least not the whole case.

I guess that's my bad for basing my initial impression on the most popular image results for a manga that has girls in it...

There's a brief scene in the first episode with Hotaru coming out of the shower, but it's handled decently for that type of scene and overall the show is certainly not trashy.

Russ T

Banned

I enjoyed it quite a bit, but it seems like a lot of people posting impressions in here weren't so hot on this or that arc (mostly in the second season, as far as I can tell). I had no major problems with any of it. The bulk of my issues with Noragami were in the first season, when Yukki is being particularly angsty, but once that was resolved, everything was great for me.

It's also just got a lot of cool style and art and music.

There's a brief scene in the first episode with Hotaru coming out of the shower, but it's handled decently for that type of scene and overall the show is certainly not trashy.

Good to hear! I'll watch episode one tonight.

Qurupeke

First season was great, no complains. Second season started badly, but I think the ending is good and it has great potential for a stellar third season. It's probably a bit overrated as a show but it is worth watching it , just for the nice art and some of the action.

At around 16:00 in Dagashi Kashi, Tou is reading a magazine with Riko from KissXSis on the cover. I missed it on my first watch through somehow.

School Rumble S2 - [Complete]

While still very good, it has slowly fallen of grace with me. First of all there's too many wacky, alternative reality side stories. There's only a few in season 1 and they're usually justified in a hilarious way. Here it's too much "School Rumble cast in Mahou Shoujo / Stone Age / someone's weird dream etc. pp., you name it. When it becomes almost the norm (must be like at least every third if not every second episode) it grows old, even when still executed well individually. Episode 2 and 3, though, were something else and easily the best out of S2.

Character and plot development has become too stale, partly due to the above. By the end of S1 a lot of characters were introduced and many of them weren't likable or fleshed out. There isn't that much progress in that regard in S2. Imadori for example was an unlikable, one-note jerk in S1 and he went nowhere. Same goes for Ichijo, the girl who likes him. I mean she's simply bland instead of having a bad personality. Then there's the likes of Togo, Harry and Lala who can be moderately funny on the rare occasion but their screen presence just doesn't feel justified. Overall there's just this character bloat. Fewer and more diverse characters would've been better. Thank god Harima is still at the forefront, even if his story becomes too repetitive at this point. In season 1 it's established and his and the other main characters' dynamic evolves to become more and more hilarious. Here, though, it's stuck in status quo.

OP and ED aren't bad but weaker than S1 for sure.

I still had a largely good time and the direction is god tier. There's so many reaction faces I've yet to extract >_<

7/10

Now, against MikeHattsu's recommendation, on to watching the remaining OVAs which really seem to be for a season 3 that never came to be. Just gotta see it to the end.

near

Gold Member
Bubuki Buranki 01

Enjoyed the first half of the episode, felt it got shaky around the second half. Really impressed with the CGI and the freedom it allowed the animation, felt that the sound design complimented this. Overall solid first episode that is also quite ambitious so I think I'll continue watching this to see how far it can go.

Clov

Wideface is best mail

I wonder when Sentai's going to put out the BD for this? It's been quite a while since it was first licensed by them, and the DVDs only came out recently. After that it's just the Sae and Hiro OVAs that will need a release over here.

Now, against MikeHattsu's recommendation, on to watching the remaining OVAs which really seem to be for a season 3 that never came to be. Just gotta see it to the end.

It's the ending to the whole thing so they've skipped tons of stuff from the manga. Oh, and it's also terrible.

I wonder when Sentai's going to put out the BD for this? It's been quite a while since it was first licensed by them, and the DVDs only came out recently. After that it's just the Sae and Hiro OVAs that will need a release over here.

Sometime this year hopefully. Hopefully also the Sae and Hiro OVAs :p

Phatmac

Dagashi Kashi ep 1
Disappointed they cut out a few segments but instead made a weaker segment to compliment it. Ayana Taketatsu is amazing to keep up being a wack for Dagashi while maintaining the ojou sama tone.

HOTARU IS LOVE HOTARU IS LIFE.
SAYA IS LOVE AND LIFE NOT HOTARU

I feel so alone in my disappointment of Dagashi Kashi. I just didn't see what everyone else enjoyed.

Well, I for one said I didn't like it.

I mean there won't be romance, this candy talk should be relatively boring even if you're some hardcore candy enthusiast and the comedy...didn't really exist. When Coconut's father was played as quirky, fun guy I immediately lost the ability to experience humor for an hour. So bad.

Crocodile

How long have you been watching anime? I feel like after a few months/years one should know better :p

Qurupeke

I feel so alone in my disappointment of Dagashi Kashi. I just didn't see what everyone else enjoyed.

It was a bit underwhelming, considering the hype around it, but the characters are pretty fun. Basically, I'll be watching it for Hotaru's sweets antics.

Phatmac

I can only judge by the first anime episode, but Saya had a tsundere childhood friend thing going on in her scene with Coconuts that was a bit annoying. Hotaru is so flamboyantly eccentric that she has a lot of charm by contrast.
They're both good but Hotaru is a bit too crazy right off the bat. I'll always root for the childhood friend so Saya is best girl.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Every character in Dagashi would be a yandere design in any other anime.

School Rumble S3 OVAs / Ending

So, every season of School Rumble has 26 episodes. Well, S3 would have. But instead we only get the equivalent of episodes 25 and 26. How the fuck this happens i don't know, but it sure was fun in ep25 seeing ~1min dedicated to shortly summarize the events we have (not) seen 'til that point. "Haha yeh, that moment that never actually got properly animated sure was funny!"

But then, I already said I felt like the story and character advancement became very stagnant in S2 and, indeed, it didn't feel like you actually missed out on any major, impfactful event.

So there's episode 25 and it's your average School Rumble season ending content. Well, it's actually a bit worse because at this point it's really fucking annoying that Harima went through so little change that his idea of doing the best for Tenma is still forcing Karasuma-kun an her together instead of just talking to her already, even going as far as beating up Karasuma to get his stupid point across.

Then the first half of episode 26 proceeds as expected and, why hello there. Is that the second half looking around the corner? Now let's take a look at...

Wow. I can't even.

TUSR

Banned
I remember watching it and felt like I got meme'd

xd she likes sweets, is over the top, has huge breasts, and has craaaaaazy eyes

the dad is completely unfunny.

etc etc

I might have laughed at the scene when she crashed her bike and asked the tsundere girl if she was okay

A lot of hype built around it because of the character designs. It's a series of stories about candy. That's it. There are little romantic subplots, but nothing resembling real progress in the manga. But I think people saw Hotaru and then saw panels from the manga -

05.png

-and were like, "Yeah, I can jack to this - uh, I mean watch this."

Dagashi Kashi is a fun show that I shouldn't have to think too hard about as I enjoy it. Unless Feel changes the source a lot thogh, people are going to be disappointed when they realize nothing really happens. Besides the viewer learning about candy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom