• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

[Kyonominigagrefsgatari]

I'm shocked that SHAFT not only re-used a previous OP but they also just copy+pasted a scene from Bakemonogatar episode 1 and played different audio on top. Shameless!

Tried out both during the first episode but settled on sub eventually. I dunno, I can't stand the majority of English voice acting in anime and this isn't really an exception. The high pitched voices for girls are especially grating on me.

At the very least, I highly recommend watching the rugby episode dubbed. There's a scene that I feel works at its best in English as opposed to Japanese that I dare not spoil.

But to each their own I guess.

[Kyonominigagrefsgatari]

I'm shocked that SHAFT not only re-used a previous OP but they also just copy+pasted a scene from Bakemonogatar episode 1 and played different audio on top. Shameless!

I assume that since each Koyomi episode is about a different character they will just re use the OPs.

Studio White Fox is clearly the best studio out there.

And their crowning achievement is clearly the Super Sonico anime.

Who doesn't remember that gem?

No one is making 12 different openings for a short anime that gets streamed through a free app - there is already no way of making a single cent out of Koyomi.

Reusing previous openings also helps to put the short story in context of the timeline.

Line_HTX

I know it's now "Western" enough, but still.....

It's not that. The Toonami block wants action, which means at least some form of fighting. You can have a slice of life show as long as there's fighting.

On a personal level, I just really hate the inappropriate use of comedy in serious scenes. I've mentioned this before and the continuous, sudden extreme swings to try and change the mood pretty much the reason why I dropped it angrily.

It's a shame because I can totally connect with classical music seeing as I played piano seriously for a while and identify with it, and I really wanted to continue watching too.

Quasar

Studio White Fox is clearly the best studio out there.

And their crowning achievement is clearly the Super Sonico anime.

Who doesn't remember that gem?

That actually turned out better than you'd think given the property. Not that it was memorable. I just expected one long tasteless boob joke. Admittedly I only watched a couple of episodes.

But they made The Devil Is a Part-Timer!. I liked that, but that's about all.

Quasar

apps

the future of anime

Well the future of all media is that. Though I'm not sure with anime its more worthwhile for say KyoAni to have their own app rather than just license it to other apps/services. certainly I'd hate to see all the major studios with their own apps simply due to the hassle of managing it all. Its bad enough now where I'm paying two subs to get my anime via apps.

Yu Yu Hakusho - 52

When the episode opened with cinematic bars, I figured out pretty quickly who probably was in charge of this.
Plenty of neat stuff with transitions, camera work and liberty of colors throughout the episode.

While some information revealed wasn't something I had expected, the outcome had been since long though. However it still managed to feel exciting and emotional.

rseFu5O.jpg
98LCsOX.jpg
tn5HcsC.jpg

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
[Kyonominigagrefsgatari]

Kizu is coming all is forgiven.

Tuck

Shirobako - 23
This is frustrating to watch. Not because its bad, but because the author and his editor are so fucking incompetent that I want to jump through the screen and punch them both in the nuts.

The animation studio received repeated confirmation that they could proceed. Why can't they just tell the author to fuck off?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Shirobako - 23
The animation studio received repeated confirmation that they could proceed. Why can't they just tell the author to fuck off?
Where is the anime about some shit tier studio mangling a property and completely misinterpreting its themes and characters? That would have been a pretty good fit for P.A.Works...

Squishy3

Shirobako - 23
This is frustrating to watch. Not because its bad, but because the author and his editor are so fucking incompetent that I want to jump through the screen and punch them both in the nuts.

Just keep watching

Acosta

Shirobako - 23

Go for the next one, you will understand.

In any case, I guess important authors have that kind of control, a (small) contracted company can't say "fuck off" and be done, the parent company could rescind the contract, fine them or ruin their reputation in a way they don't get more jobs anymore.

pbayne

Where is the anime about some shit tier studio mangling a property and completely misinterpreting its themes and characters? That would have been a pretty good fit for P.A.Works...

There is an allusion to such a studio in Shirobako, Titanic Studios wasn't it?

All this talk of White Fox and no one mentioned Steins Gate, Is your order a rabbit or Katanagatari? For shame...

Heck even Jorumgand is enjoyable despite becoming completely non-sensical

Tuck

Just keep watching
Yeah I finished the episode and understand. I'm pretty happy with how it worked out, and really happy the editor got fired (At least, thats what was implied).

In general, I dislike anime original endings. I just don't see from a business perspective how a publisher can backtrack on something they have documented proof of accepting months beforehand. Its not like the animation studio didn't try to get the author involved - they did, repeatedly. They had to work with what they were given, and weren't at all at fault here. Seeing all their hard work go to waste (repeatedly) because of that idiot this cour editor was rage inducing. But I'm content with how it all worked out.

That said, the fact that they only now realized they could just email the author directly made me shake my head a little. But that scene where the director went to meet the guy was incredible.

Yeah I finished the episode and understand. I'm pretty happy with how it worked out, and really happy the editor got fired (At least, thats what was implied).

In general, I dislike anime original endings. I just don't see from a business perspective how a publisher can backtrack on something they have documented proof of accepting months beforehand. Its not like the animation studio didn't try to get the author involved - they did, repeatedly. They had to work with what they were given, and weren't at all at fault here. Seeing all their hard work go to waste (repeatedly) because of that idiot this cour editor was rage inducing. But I'm content with how it all worked out.

I think somebody said that the editor was based on some real guy or something.

Well the future of all media is that. Though I'm not sure with anime its more worthwhile for say KyoAni to have their own app rather than just license it to other apps/services. certainly I'd hate to see all the major studios with their own apps simply due to the hassle of managing it all. Its bad enough now where I'm paying two subs to get my anime via apps.

Animation studios generally don't distribute their own works (unless it's ufotable's theater, for instance), they let production companies (such as Aniplex or Pony Canyon) handle that. There are lots of streaming services in Japan, and at least some have mobile apps. Koyomimonogatari is weird since it's being distributed in its own unique app, but the Monogatari franchise is popular enough that they can get away with it.

No Kizumonogatari dates for Canada.

Same distribution company as Love Live (Azoland Pictures), which was delayed here. Chances are if we do get it, it will be a couple months after the States.

Even then, it says "America only."
Expect Feb 2017. :(
WOW. I THINK I WAS TRYING TO SAY THAT PUTTING LOGH ON THE BACKLOG IS POINTLESS BECAUSE YOU WILL NEVER GET TO IT AND HERE YOU ARE!!!
I'll get to it eventually!

Prince of Stride Alternative Episode 2
CYjd3ndWEAElsCD.png
CYjfA5jWYAYnhAf.png

Fun times getting to know a few others and play dress up. Loved lots of the outfits chosen.

Cant wait for next week for more STRIDE.

Also the ED [Be my steady] was fantastic, loved the colors and style chosen, and the song was epic.

Clov

No Kizumonogatari dates for Canada.

Same distribution company as Love Live (Azoland Pictures), which was delayed here. Chances are if we do get it, it will be a couple months after the States.

Even then, it says "America only."

It better come here! Aniplex has been pretty good with Canadian theaters before. We got Madoka Rebellion very soon after the States (I think only a few days later). Even the Anohana movie and Anthem of the Heart played here! I hope they don't skip out on Kizu for us. :(

Your Lie in April is getting an Eng Dub. Cast announcement on the 15th
https://www.facebook.com/AniplexUSA/posts/1250344081646201

Now if they could release news about things I care about, like Mushishi S2 on BD, and Canadian Kizu dates.

Lovely Complex - 01

Yeh this is undoubtedly going to be good. So thanks @ OniBarubary for bringing it up when discussing School Rumble a while ago.

pbayne

I enjoyed Lovely Complex but if someone told me they hated it I can completely understand. It can be a very frustrating show at times.

You shouldn't watch Kimi ni Todoke then.

Another show i love but it would probably drive you up the wall

I can't deal with the unnecessary drama that these kind of shows just shove down your throat. I liked what Ore Monogatari did precisely because it went in the opposite direction.

I can't deal with the unnecessary drama that these kind of shows just shove down your throat. I liked what Ore Monogatari did precisely because it went in the opposite direction.

Well then I maybe don't need to be concerned that you had your issues with lovely complex, because Ore Monogatari is...not among my favorites to put it lightly.

But sure, there's often this problem when these kind of romances keep stalling because the ultimate goal is the (mutual) confession and you thus can't have that until the end. I mean School Days Rumble* is primarily a comedy and even then it started grating on me badly by season 2.

KareKano is still my gold standard. Aoi Hana was great in its portrayal and pacing of relationships, too, but t'was cut even shorter in its adaptation than KareKano :[

PS: Don't tell me where Lovely Complex is heading in that regard. The less I know the better. Always good to form my opinion before having seen half the discussion already, too.

trejo

Yami Shibai S1 4

These stories are so stupid and depend on cheap jump scares. The gulf in quality is so great I can hardly believe the director went on to do Kagewani.

The good thing about Yami Shibai is that even when an episode falls flat it's no big loss since you only wasted three minutes at most.

The other good thing is that some of them are legit creepy thanks to the three minute runtime allowing them to ramp up the scare effectively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom