• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yami Shibai S1 4

These stories are so stupid and depend on cheap jump scares. The gulf in quality is so great I can hardly believe the director went on to do Kagewani.

Kyuur

Watched a good portion of first episodes that were out on Sunday. So far the standouts (that I will continue watching) are Erased, BBK/BRNK and Dimension W.

Laughed my ass off at the Limbo 'solution' at the end of Myriad Colours. Too bad its so fan service heavy since it has nice coloring and animation.

I watched a little bit of Dagashi Kashi, but all I got from it was another show where a male MC and a female weirdo didn't act like total bros with each other, so there wasn't much else there to appeal to me.

Like, I feel like I see that sort of character interaction so much in anime with the straight-minded male MC and the super quirky female weirdo and one of them always not "getting" the other. I just want to see some darn mutual respect!

T-Rex.

Banned
Bakemonogatari ep 4
Tsundere-chan carries on being the best. Visually this really is quite a unique show (based on the stuff I've seen so far).

I feel like the biggest problem with Dagashi Kashi is that the animators don't know how to animate comedy well.

Despite the comedy scenes being over the top, I feel like the characters, the main actually source of comedy, often look the same. Characters in good comedy anime burst with energy.

Compare the comedic scenes in Dagashi Kashi with that of Barakamon or The Devil is a Part Timer, and Dagashi Kashi feels downright clumsy in its execution.

Granted, we've only seen one episode so far. Dagashi Kashi could improve.

Crocodile

I feel like the biggest problem with Dagashi Kashi is that the animators don't know to animate comedy well.

Despite the comedy scenes being over the top, I feel like the characters, the main actually source of comedy, often look the same. Characters in good comedy anime often with energy.

Compare the comedic scenes in Dagashi Kashi with that of Barakamon or The Devil is a Part Timer, and Dagashi Kashi feels downright clumsy in its execution.

Space Dandy is a recent example of an anime with exceptional character and comedic animation <3

No, seriously. Karasuma's characterization is altered terribly (in ep.25 already admittedly) but he's giving some dementia disease, Tenma follows him to America where she learns about that and decides to take care of him even though he'll become more and more demented, unable to properly recognize her even? This then seriously goes on for a couple years and, oh, Harima? After another debate with Eri, where he might have finally seen a connection between the two but of course doesn't, vanishes and lives like some country stray in foreign countries. Lmao what? This is our primary main character. But hey, it's all cool. After a couple years Karasuma is apparently able to remember just a little bit from his high school days so they somehow organize a class meetup where everyone comes and is exactly as we've known them. Even Harima makes an appearance and serves as a last joke for, the now demented!!!!, Karasuma. Tenma cries because she's so happy seeing everyone and Harima in particular, of whom's intense love for her she actually know as of episode 26, and...the show ends with everyone throwing cake at Harima because he made Tenma cry!! hahaa!! wWTFASBF UASBGFAf asfbhö

This has got to be the least satisfying ending which also features one of the most nonsensical tonal shift that stands in stark contrast to everything the show has been. I've read what the anime ending/second half of Usagi Drop entails and, while in different nature and hardly comparable, I'd probably categorize this School Rumble ending as worse.

Today I found out that my favorite studio is White Fox. I've loved literally everything they've done and never stopped to consider who actually made any of those particular series.

Akame ga Kill?

I found someone who likes AGK.

Time to inform Toonami GAF.

I'm going to tell a sad, sad story -

A long time ago (6 months or so), I watched Akame ga Kill. I marathon'd it beginning to end on an off day where my fiance was out of town. I sat down with a big ass bowl of nachos, some salsa, queso, and a glass of chocolate milk to compliment the whole mess. Started up the first thing I saw on Crunchyroll that I hadn't watched yet (Akame starts with "A", fun fact) and relaxed.

By the time it ended, I thought it was the greatest thing I'd ever watched. For like, an hour. Until I started thinking about it more. If I had to give it a number, I'd say it was a 7.5, but my enjoyment of it was a solid 10/10.

phaze

most nonsensical tonal shift
Not reading the spoilers but now I'm thinking they put half of the cast to the sword !

Bakemonogatari [1-3]
Oh and when he beats up that elementary school kid in the episode lmao, I couldn't stop laughing at how pleased he was with himself.

(Spoilers for the future, don't read.)
Not that surprising considering she's pretty much the only character he manages to win against. lol

Today I found out that my favorite studio is White Fox. I've loved literally everything they've done and never stopped to consider who actually made any of those particular series.

Toei has two shows in my top10 so I guess they're my favourite studio.
ndaxxyizzoo7.gif
Along with Madhouse and Gainax.

I watched a little bit of Dagashi Kashi, but all I got from it was another show where a male MC and a female weirdo didn't act like total bros with each other, so there wasn't much else there to appeal to me.

Like, I feel like I see that sort of character interaction so much in anime with the straight-minded male MC and the super quirky female weirdo and one of them always not "getting" the other. I just want to see some darn mutual respect!

It's a comedy and the main character is the straight man.

I "enjoy" AgK too!

I also really enjoyed SAO.

Of course, there's a legitimate discussion to be had as to whether or not a series can take credit for the entertainment value that people MST3K-ing it on social media provides. But the end result is a form of entertainment, even if not in the author's intended manner.

I've got an OP stuck in my head. I have absolutely nothing to go on, except for these two lines where it goes...

do do do do do (there are words here, but I can't remember them so I've replaced them with my fantastic visage of how it goes)
monogatari (it rhymes with the line before it and each part is stressed pretty hard)

...female singer, kind of melancholic, that's all I have. If someone somehow knows what it is based off that I'll do sexual favors for you at a discount while I marvel at your song recognition skills.

I've got an OP stuck in my head. I have absolutely nothing to go on, except for these two lines where it goes...

do do do do do (there are words here, but I can't remember them so I've replaced them with my fantastic visage of how it goes)
monogatari (it rhymes with the line before it and each part is stressed pretty hard)

...female singer, kind of melancholic, that's all I have. If someone somehow knows what it is based off that I'll do sexual favors for you at a discount while I marvel at your song recognition skills.

I googled and apparently there's some site that has anime songs with their lyrics

You can search via the word monogatari I guess so it might narrow the search down.

I'm not gonna go through all of them to find something that resembles "do, do, do" tho

Edit: I should've used this to cheat on Sölf's anime Music quiz.

Qurupeke

The Koimonogatari's OP full song apparently has "monogatari", but it doesn't seem to rhyme with something. It's melancholic with a female singer(and a male singer).

I doubt this is what you search for, but you should listen to it anyway. :)

pbayne

I feel like the biggest problem with Dagashi Kashi is that the animators don't know to animate comedy well.

Despite the comedy scenes being over the top, I feel like the characters, the main actually source of comedy, often look the same. Characters in good comedy anime burst with energy.

I thought the comedy was very weak too but i guess its harsh to judge something on one episode. Even Gintama didn't hit the ground running on the comedy front.

If i consider the show as a slice-of-life instead I think my enjoyment of it will be greater, granted that Saya and Cocunut end up together. Im just kind of ambivalent toward Hotaru. Like she's been built up as this awesome crazy chick with an awesome design and when i finally saw her i was like "Is that it? Was that worth all the build up?"

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Osomatsu san 14
First skit punchline was amazing. Jyushimatsu da best.
2nd skit was okay. I lost it when Totty admit that his fetih is bellybutton wrinkle.
3rd skit was hilarious just because how random the vice principal is

Squishy3

This is my guess.

John Blade

Just finish watching Final Fantasy Last Order. It's alright really. Nothing much to say as it give you an idea of what happen before the event of FF7 the game. I guess if you're a fans of 7, this might be a quick look. As for everyone, it's okay with decent action scene but if you don't know the two main characters, then I don't know if you like this short.

Now that line is also stuck in my head. What have you done!!?

It's so perfect though.

Also, I kept thinking that it was this for some reason. I would look up a bunch of OPs, play them, and think to myself, "Maybe it was Utawarerumono...". So I'd backtrack, listen to that, and then assure myself I was an idiot only to repeat the cycle in my spare time the next day.

TUSR

Banned
No Kizumonogatari dates for Canada.

Same distribution company as Love Live (Azoland Pictures), which was delayed here. Chances are if we do get it, it will be a couple months after the States.

Even then, it says "America only."

You've convinced me I need to watch this. To the backlog it goes!

WOW. I THINK I WAS TRYING TO SAY THAT PUTTING LOGH ON THE BACKLOG IS POINTLESS BECAUSE YOU WILL NEVER GET TO IT AND HERE YOU ARE!!!

Mononoke 01

Wow, what a tremendously beautiful and creative show. The directing and framing are appropriately interesting for what is essentially a ghost story/horror show. One thing that is out of the ordinary is just how slow and little the characters speak. Perhaps that is due to the Edo setting. I am intrigued.

Jex

:(

I mean, White Fox? Ugh.

Or, even, I don't know, Sailor Moon or Doremi or FLCL etc etc? There are a plethora of examples featuring studios "getting it right". Something about Dagashi Kashi just didn't click with me and I found it to be rather dull. It's not poorly made in any particular respect, perhaps my distaste for the work is simply a result of having seen plenty of superior examples of the genre.

Sölf;192005379 said:
#TeamEri

Or
Yakumo.

Harima and Tenma don't really have any chemistry. Neither do Tenma and Kurasuma and it would've been nice to see this aspect and the overly foolish infatuation these characters have to be properly explored. But by season 2 solid writing was only to be found within the comedy, not actual character progression :/

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - 01-02

So far it's decent.

CFrlYwZ.png

Terrible character design though.

I like the Dagashi Kashi manga a lot. I find it endearing and I like manga about stupid little factoids.

I think I'm gonna go super light this season. I'm watching Mononoke, Love Live and Legend of the Galactic Heroes with Lupin the Third Part 1 and Space Adventure Cobra on the backburner. My taste is weird.

Every time someone posts impressions of Yami Shibai I keep getting the wrong impression that they're watching that other Yami show for a minute.

Granted, impressions of the other show would no doubt be more interesting, but what can you do. ;)

Full Metal Panic Fumoffu - 01-02

So far it's decent.

Dub or sub?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom