• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Russ T

Banned
Well I'm on the final season of Nyanko-sensei's Book of Friends. I'm already feeling that absence. I don't want to finish. D:

It has continued to be adorable and heart-warming in every way. I hope it ends on a good note!

---

Oh hey PS Narag did you get my list of backlog anime I'm gonna watch this year. Because I forget what I put on it besides LOGH.

pbayne

I can't deal with the unnecessary drama that these kind of shows just shove down your throat. I liked what Ore Monogatari did precisely because it went in the opposite direction.

Yeah Monogatari was great for that.

Maybe try Suki-tte Ii na yo (Say i love you). Couple gets together really quickly, quickly progresses far past most shoujo romances, teenagers actually commit or consider sex and the drama isn't too contrived.

Well I'm on the final season of Nyanko-sensei's Book of Friends. I'm already feeling that absence. I don't want to finish. D:

It has continued to be adorable and heart-warming in every way. I hope it ends on a good note!

---

Oh hey PS Narag did you get my list of backlog anime I'm gonna watch this year. Because I forget what I put on it besides LOGH.
Did you already pass the flashback episode with Natsume's story with the tree yokai? That one is my favorite

That one and the one of the baby dragon, and the little fox demon. Makes me cry evertim

If you haven't seen Clannad yet and like a good drama start there. Other, shorter, series that are pretty good romance/drama:

- Ef-A Tale of Memories is the closest
- The Pet Girl of Sakurasou
- Ano Natsu de Matteru

I hate Clannad but will check out ef. I think I tried watching it before but migh've gotten bored. Saw the other 2 and I like Ano Natsu. Was a fan of the please series.

I think White Album 2 really shines because of the directing and editing. The animation wasn't amazing at all but the angles, timing for cutting to the next shot and the pacing was spot on and the characters are great.

Well then I maybe don't need to be concerned that you had your issues with lovely complex, because Ore Monogatari is...not among my favorites to put it lightly.

But sure, there's often this problem when these kind of romances keep stalling because the ultimate goal is the (mutual) confession and you thus can't have that until the end. I mean School Days is primarily a comedy and even then it started grating on me badly by season 2.

KareKano is still my gold standard. Aoi Hana was great in its portrayal and pacing of relationships, too, but t'was cut even shorter in its adaptation than KareKano :[

PS: Don't tell me where Lovely Complex is heading in that regard. The less I know the better. Always good to form my opinion before having seen half the discussion already, too.

Nah I want you to form your own opinion on this one. I watched the whole thing without dropping the show, so that goes to show that I actually cared enough to watch the entire thing, and it's a long one too. It has its problems for me, but maybe you can get past them just like others did.

Yeah Monogatari was great for that.

Maybe try Suki-tte Ii na yo (Say i love you). Couple gets together really quickly, quickly progresses far past most shoujo romances, teenagers actually commit or consider sex and the drama isn't too contrived.

I actually watched that one as it aired, it was actually alright, good recommendation considering what we are talking about.

I hate Clannad but will check out ef. I think I tried watching it before but migh've gotten bored. Saw the other 2 and I like Ano Natsu. Was a fan of the please series.

I think White Album 2 really shines because of the directing and editing. The animation wasn't amazing at all but the angles, timing for cutting to the next shot and the pacing was spot on and the characters are great.

WA2 was a good watch for me too. I just wish it ended differently, or that it got another season.

Russ T

Banned
Did you already pass the flashback episode with Natsume's story with the tree yokai? That one is my favorite

That one and the one of the baby dragon, and the little fox demon. Makes me cry evertim

Yeah I've seen all of those. All really good.

Little fox demon! <3 I thought rock demon was going to talk little fox demon into giving up on Natsume and my heart almost broke!!!

Oh and for what it's worth. For now the writing in Lovely Complex seems quite good. Dialogue between the characters feels really natural and they're all likable to some degree. Direction seems to be rather nice as well and the art direction and character design is top notch. Soundtrack also made a good first impression.

Yeah I've seen all of those. All really good.

Little fox demon! <3 I thought rock demon was going to talk little fox demon into giving up on Natsume and my heart almost broke!!!

Yeah. Outside of the yokai tales, I cried quite a bit with the heartfelt scenes between Natsume and his foster family. Really shows how much he has grown and the love they feel for him. tears errwhere

But sure, there's often this problem when these kind of romances keep stalling because the ultimate goal is the (mutual) confession and you thus can't have that until the end. I mean School Days is primarily a comedy and even then it started grating on me badly by season 2.

Nice Freudian slip there.

The good thing about Yami Shibai is that even when an episode falls flat it's no big loss since you only wasted three minutes at most.

The other good thing is that some of them are legit creepy thanks to the three minute runtime allowing them to ramp up the scare effectively.

Yeah, well, I'm not going to watch any more of it.

Russ T

Banned
Yeah. Outside of the yokai tales, I cried quite a bit with the heartfelt scenes between Natsume and his foster family. Really shows how much he has grown and the love they feel for him. tears errwhere

I know, it's really nice! It makes me so happy to see him feeling happy and accepted, haha. With his friends, too! ;_;

Yeah, well, I'm not going to watch any more of it.

FWIW, I'm with you, although I continue watching it mostly to laugh at how dumb it is. There have been a couple that I found actually legitimately creepy, but most of them are just really bad. Sometimes I like watching bad things...

I also really like Kagewani, and until you brought it up I never would've guessed they were the same director...

Nightii

Banned
Last week, my girlfriend made me bingewatch an anime with her, something I very rarely do (nothing against anime, just not my thing most of the time), the name was Mysterious Girlfriend X...

I'm not into romance, much less typical anime romance, and yet I liked that....a lot, it was funny, cute and I loved the characters, the drool thing was funny for me (and somehow even cute)....and now I want more but know that there is no chance in hell there will ever be more...I don't like this craving feeling, it's annoying.

Is there anything similar enough to MGX?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Well you can read the manga.

Amagami SS also likes to explore alternative, ahem, displays of physical affection. It's trashier than MGX though.

Nightii

Banned
Well you can read the manga.

Done, it only left me dissappointed, unfortunately.

Amagami SS also likes to explore alternative, ahem, displays of physical affection. It's trashier than MGX though.

That's a no go, then. One of the big things that helped me get into was definitely how relatively mild MGX was.

Jarmel

Banned
So with Dimension W, one thing I wanted to point was a particular type of paneling the show uses.
2L4THpA.jpg
zpj55Ij.jpg

The director, Kanta Kamei, has this tendency to mess with colors such as his previous show Saekano. In Saekano he did stuff like invert the colors and I think he did a similar thing with the backgrounds occasionally as well. I know Shinbo liked to do this thanks to Jexhius's post covering Yu Yu Hakusho. However here and in Kamei's previous shows, I don't understand why the single background color paneling is used. Colors aren't attached to individual characters nor are they attributed to particular emotions. It feels extraneous and distracting in a bad way as I notice it, but it doesn't mean anything. It's not egregious, like monkeys flipping in the background or whatever, but it certainly doesn't feel organic to the work or even a stylish flair that has some depth.

John Blade

_cosplay__sakura_shinguji___sakura_taisen_by_riskbreaker-d62nxqh.png

Well...the quick and dirty impression of the TV series is middle of the road. The show isn't bad and I was entertain from the beginning to end.....if you pass through the 1st half of the show. Unfortunately, they isn't much positive to say about the show as it feel like a typical generic anime show you might see before which is sad as based on what I heard and read, the games that this name come from is very popular in Japan and oversea (if you understand Japanese or play the fan translation). They're few reason from this.

One of the issue is the character development (or the lack of it). With the length of 25 episodes, you expect to have some degree of development with all the characters in the show but you're wrong in a way. Almost all the character in the show have the typical stereotypes character attribute which didn't really expand much. You see them either by flash back, incident with the character, or talking discussion. This doesn't help when nothing much happening during the beginning of the show and when the characters start to develop, we're almost around the half way point, basically waste quite a bit of time when it should be use to help develop the characters which is very important if you want to have some emotional with them (or else why would support them).

Kinda the same issue with the story side. You follow the Flower Division Assault Force which is a team of female pilots who protect the capital city from supernatural monster. By day, those female pilots became actress for theater production at the Imperial Grand Theater where average people go and watch them act. Not really a bad story to start and because this is a steam punk mix into 1920s Tokyo, it have potential. Unfortunately, the same issue with nothing really happen in the beginning of the show and the the amount of time to try to explain what is going on kinda hurt it. It get better around the 2nd half when the story start to process and you start to found out what happen, who is the bad guy, what is the connection with them and the Flower Division Assault Force, and many more.

Even with this fault, I kinda enjoy the show a bit more than I expect. The animation do look fine for a 2000 show. The story pick up in the later half which get more entertaining as you're watching. Music is actually not too bad when it's been use (even though most isn't something you listen to but help develop the mood). Also, the fight scene with the mech look interesting in an odd way for me.

Now, would I recommend it? It depend if you're a fan of the game or not. If you're fan, I would just go look into the OVA as that basically the same idea of the TV series but shorter (you can say the TV series is a retelling the same story). If you never play the game before, I still a bit iffy if I would recommend a watch as the show kinda have the feel of generic a bit. I would say it's worth a watch if you want a run of the mill anime but that is entertain to watch with a simple good vs evil story line to follow.

Last week, my girlfriend made me bingewatch an anime with her, something I very rarely do (nothing against anime, just not my thing most of the time), the name was Mysterious Girlfriend X...

I'm not into romance, much less typical anime romance, and yet I liked that....a lot, it was funny, cute and I loved the characters, the drool thing was funny for me (and somehow even cute)....and now I want more but know that there is no chance in hell there will ever be more...I don't like this craving feeling, it's annoying.

Non standard anime romance? Give Ore Monogatari a shot. It's very sweet and the couple gets together. The grand majority of the show has little to no drama between them.

Maybe for another atypical romance anime, try Tasogare Otomo X Amnesia? It has a horror side story to it, but the relationship between the main two gets fairly sweet after a point.

Recently aired Marshmallow show only has one episode so I can't recommend it per se, but give it a watch.

Kare Kano is a great romance too, used to my favorite for the longest time. Can't remember if the anime finishes the story though.

Finally the Red Snow White show by Bones.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That's a no go, then. One of the big things that helped me get into was definitely how relatively mild MGX was.

ToraDora is a reasonable choice then, but it's pretty run of the mill RomComDrama. Bonus is that it actually provides some measure of closure.

If you want something atypical, Aku no Hana is a good choice but it's much moodier and darker than what you'd expect from anime/manga.

Bubuki Buranki 1

I'm not sure how the story will go, but the visual direction is strong enough that I'm in for now. We'll see if I end up watching all 24 episodes though.

I am amused that a show made to commemorate Sanzigen's 10th anniversary makes a commemoration of a 10th anniversary integral to the plot.

Nightii

Banned
Thanks, I'll check them out tonight when I'm off work.

How about the aesthetics? Honestly, the overall...simple look of the characters and animation was also good for me, nothing especially outlandish and very cute looking.

Honestly, the more I think it I feel I just was smitten by Urabe, somebody help please.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Maybe try Princess Jellyfish. Tamako Love Story if you are okay with something more traditional and are okay with a movie instead of a TV show. Akagami no Shirayuki-hime/Snow White with the Red Hair. More taste specific shows I might identify would be Ano Natsu de Matteru or B Gata H Kei.

pbayne

Here's some recent stuff

Tonari no Seki-kun-I know its not really labeled as a romance but that is as close to real crush between two teens as you'll get.

Mentioned it above but Say i love you is worth a look.

Ao haru ride is a bit more traditional but still great

And if you're feeling brave maybe Nana, although thats more a mix of romance and really heavy drama.

Kenstar

Well then I maybe don't need to be concerned that you had your issues with lovely complex, because Ore Monogatari is...not among my favorites to put it lightly.

But sure, there's often this problem when these kind of romances keep stalling because the ultimate goal is the (mutual) confession and you thus can't have that until the end. I mean School Days Rumble* is primarily a comedy and even then it started grating on me badly by season 2.

KareKano is still my gold standard. Aoi Hana was great in its portrayal and pacing of relationships, too, but t'was cut even shorter in its adaptation than KareKano :[

PS: Don't tell me where Lovely Complex is heading in that regard. The less I know the better. Always good to form my opinion before having seen half the discussion already, too.

KareKano used to be my fav. Romance but it's been slightly eclipsed by Honey and Clover, Karekano has more humor/waay better ost but Honey and Clover had an actual ending and a non-cookie-cutter one at that.

Jaxec

End of Evangelion

Well damn....yeah that's pretty much all I can say.

Karekano 1-5

I'm in love with Miyazawa. Her voice is amazing.

How many people here have actually seen the original Utawarerumono? I was posting in a thread about the currently airing Utawarerumono on another site and literally no one had seen the original. Only a few people had even heard about it.

End of Evangelion

Karekano 1-5

this is a funny coincidence lol i was just recommending it.

How many people here have actually seen the original Utawarerumono? I was posting in a thread about the currentlt airing Utawarerumono on another site and literally no one had seen the original. Only a few people had even heard about it.

I watched the sister show but not that one. Too lazy now to watch it too.

Nightii

Banned
Oh right! Sorry for asking this, but....out of all the shows you folks recommended, how many of them are on crunchyroll? I am currently without a computer at home, so I have to rely on my Wii U to watch stuff.

The reason I ask instead of simply searching for it myself is because of possibly translated names on crunchyroll.

KareKano used to be my fav. Romance but it's been slightly eclipsed by Honey and Clover, Karekano has more humor/waay better ost but Honey and Clover had an actual ending and a non-cookie-cutter one at that.

Unfortunately I couldn't stand the direction in Honey and Clover so I gave up pretty early (episode 4 or so?). So many times characters were just screaming needlessly that it was actually grating on my ears. Obivously it also didn't leave a big impression at that stage, else I would've kept going. Dunno if I'll give it another go one day. I can imagine it does get good but if I'm not liking what i'm seeing early on that just about never changes (And Yet The Town Moves may be the sole exception so far).

End of Evangelion

Karekano 1-5

Nice. Hideaki Anno is the director of both btw.

Squishy3

Oh right! Sorry for asking this, but....out of all the shows you folks recommended, how many of them are on crunchyroll? I am currently without a computer at home, so I have to rely on my Wii U to watch stuff.

The reason I ask instead of simply searching for it myself is because of possibly translated names on crunchyroll.
Ore Monogatari is on Crunchyroll as My Love Story

tuffy

How many people here have actually seen the original Utawarerumono? I was posting in a thread about the currently airing Utawarerumono on another site and literally no one had seen the original. Only a few people had even heard about it.
It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I've been waiting for a Blu Ray release before going back to it. Perhaps once Funimation's license expires it'll go (back) to Sentai.

duckroll

Bubuki Buranki 1

I'm not sure how the story will go, but the visual direction is strong enough that I'm in for now. We'll see if I end up watching all 24 episodes though.

I am amused that a show made to commemorate Sanzigen's 10th anniversary makes a commemoration of a 10th anniversary integral to the plot.

24 episodes?! But KViN said it was likely 1-cours! Wow USP is really breaking the (sponsors') bank for this one!

John Blade

Go watch Emma A Victorian Romance but I guess everyone know by now.

Just watching Sakura Wars Ecole De Paris right now and man...the pacing is out of wack and how they introduce new characters isn't that good to start with no introduction. Well....at least we have cat girl to see.
SakuraWarsOAV32.jpg

I've seen it and played the game. I liked both.

Sheentak

Having alot of trouble starting any new series this season, Nothing really grabs me other than the Candy girl anime and Sequels.
Anything I should be checking out animegaf?

KazenY2J

Having alot of trouble starting any new series this season, Nothing really grabs me other than the Candy girl anime and Sequels.
Dimension W
Prince of Stride
Galko-chan
Showa Rakugo (45 min first episode, btw)
Erased

Dimension W has a lot of potential. Erased and Rakugo do as well, but Erased is already showing character logic issues and Rakugo's only episode so far was 2 OVAs mashed together so I'm not sure how indicative of the series is it yet.

Prince of Stride 02

The otome roots start to show. I like this show better when it focuses on the sport, rather than the bishounen fanservice. What makes me keep watching is most definitely the running. Last scene was just awesome. The speed and power are in full-force. It also helps that the show has these vibrant colours that really make the characters and backgrounds pop.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes - Overture to a New War

Can I just say that LoGH's name game is strong? First you have My Conquest is the Sea of Stars, and now Overture to a New War. Both are awesome titles.

I don't really have a lot to add from my comments on My Conquest yesterday, I just hope that Reinhard and Yang Wen-Li being ranked high up means that there won't be a lot of officers killing themselves and doing stupid tactics anymore. And Jean's death must have been the most telegraphed thing I have ever seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom