• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TUSR

Banned
CR has been good to me lately.

I'm not sure if they ramped up their hosting services or what, but I haven't had any stuttering issues like previous seasons for popular new shows.

duckroll

Crunchyroll - Terrible website filled with bloat and garbage, great web player, decent apps on consoles and devices.

FUNi - Terrible website filled with bad design, not to good player, terrible release standards, super duper region locked.

Daisuki - Simple and easy to use website, terrible player with heavy CPU load and sometimes doesn't play at all, crappy buffering too, no apps at all.

Youtube - Not to great quality, but works on anything and gives me what I want. Exclusively associated with GUNDAM as far as anime distribution goes tho. :)

Hulu - Lol hulu. Lolol.

John Blade

sakura-taisen_02.png

First thing first, don't watch this anime unless you play the game or else you get very confuse of what is happening during this 3 episodes.

Issue I have with this show.
  • Pacing is out of whack. Each scene don't connect together at all and they isn't any flow of the story line. I am guessing all this solve if you play the games.
  • Story line is hard to understand as you don't know what is happening in each episodes. When you start to understand what is happening, in some scene, you wonder why even put in the episodes at all as it doesn't help to push the plot forward.
  • They trying to get one of the female character to join the team and the best way is to literally attack her by destroy the building around her and use a weapon which almost kill her. When the plan didn't work, the boss who set the plan up got piss and want to kill her and the entire city together. WTF????? At the end, she got shot to her heart and it look like they mange to kill her but....didn't somehow. Then few scene later, she now join their team WTF???????. This is literally part of 2nd episode synopsis.
  • No character development or introduction in the show. They just come in the scene or somehow they might not know each other in one scene but then in two scene later, they know each other.
  • Random stuff just pop in to help push the development in the scene aka: random gun the main female character manage to get in the scene without explain how she got it (just put a small scene that she take different part of the gun from her pocket and put it together or a scene where the gun is at the location).
  • Animation doesn't look good. Look really bad for a 2003 anime. Worst for character animation. You notice this even more in the final episode when they is a big battle. Talk about really bad animation that look like a poor flash quality look.
  • Villain (when they is one) feel like monster of the day. No backstory. Just pop up and you need to kill them.
  • No explanation of how the team was set up at all in the anime.

The only good thing I can say is you see one battle scene with the mech and the CG animation on the fight does look fine and enjoyable. Still, just to see that near the end while have to go through the bad stuff isn't really worth the time. Please avoid this anime unless you already play the game from this show and know everything before you go into this.

Russ T

Banned
In the past few years I've seen people here watch Wolf's Rain, Skull Man, Kino's Journey, and various other old gems that have fallen through the cracks. But have any of you considered stuff like Key the Metal Idol or Fantastic Children? My name is duckroll, and I'm here to spread the good news, will you stay a while and listen?

I've seen Wolf's Rain, Kino's Journey and Fantastic Children. Saw 'em long ago, like 'em all quite a bit.

But not Skull Man or Key the Metal Idol.

Are you saying I should watch those two??

duckroll

I've seen Wolf's Rain, Kino's Journey and Fantastic Children. Saw 'em long ago, like 'em all quite a bit.

But not Skull Man or Key the Metal Idol.

Are you saying I should watch those two??

Yes. I'm the opposite of all those School Days losers recommending stuff like an in-joke. I recommend stuff actually worth watching, no one listens, and then they make jokes about me instead. It's a hard life being a duck. :(

Russ T

Banned
Yes. I'm the opposite of all those School Days losers recommending stuff like an in-joke. I recommend stuff actually worth watching, no one listens, and then they make jokes about me instead. It's a hard life being a duck. :(

Well they're both short, it seems, so maybe I'll give them a shot and report back on whether or not I think you're a good duck or a bad duck.

John Blade

Key the Metal Idol is something I heard about. I might look into it if I can get a copy cheap ($60 USD for the 3 DVD copy). Also, I try to stick with anime that I heard good things about and try to look into hidden gems or old show I never have the chance to watch.

Just got myself few older anime I never heard from yet and want to see if they're good or bad to watch.

Kurau: Phantom Memory
Sol Bianca
Dragon Half
Mars daybreak
Yukikaze
shoji kawamori
Puppet princess
supet atragon
Cleopatra DC

duckroll

Yukikaze is a pretty weird OVA. I never quite got into it, but it's unique enough to recommend anyone interested in scifi and aerial dogfights to check out at least. One of Gonzo's more different non-mainstream stuff.

Kurau is a good show, but it's a bit too long. It has this female Blade Runner vibe going for it, but I don't really remember much of the plot in detail. The director went on to do Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Code:Breaker though, so he's a cool guy.

Mars Daybreak is a very underrated scifi adventure anime. It's feel good, wacky, and has really varied and colorful designs. I guess it never gets any attention because it's not EPIC or EDGY or COOL enough, but it's good light entertainment.

John Blade

Yukikaze is a pretty weird OVA. I never quite got into it, but it's unique enough to recommend anyone interested in scifi and aerial dogfights to check out at least. One of Gonzo's more different non-mainstream stuff.

Kurau is a good show, but it's a bit too long. It has this female Blade Runner vibe going for it, but I don't really remember much of the plot in detail. The director went on to do Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood and Code:Breaker though, so he's a cool guy.

Mars Daybreak is a very underrated scifi adventure anime. It's feel good, wacky, and has really varied and colorful designs. I guess it never gets any attention because it's not EPIC or EDGY or COOL enough, but it's good light entertainment.

Well..thanks for the small impression. I do hope it`s fun to watch when I go into it later this year.

Man...I guess that might be the last batch I will get and try to get through the anime I am now watching in my back log.

Clov

In the past few years I've seen people here watch Wolf's Rain, Skull Man, Kino's Journey, and various other old gems that have fallen through the cracks. But have any of you considered stuff like Key the Metal Idol or Fantastic Children? My name is duckroll, and I'm here to spread the good news, will you stay a while and listen?

I actually do intend to watch Key the Metal Idol. If Fantastic Children is good too, then I'll give it a watch as well.

How is Skull Man though? I haven't heard much about it. If it's on the same level as Wolf's Rain and Kino's Journey it will be an immediate priority for me.

Sound Euphonium 14

This was a pleasant side story which helped flesh out Hazuki's character a little more. It was interested to see how it interacted with the events of the last few episodes of the main series. The direction was pretty interesting; there was some handheld camera work which hasn't been seen in the series before. I definitely got the sense that storyboarder Taiichi Ogawa was thinking in live action terms.

How is Skull Man though? I haven't heard much about it. If it's on the same level as Wolf's Rain and Kino's Journey it will be an immediate priority for me.

It's not as good as Wolf's Rain, but it's very good in its own right.

I watched Key the metal idol a long time ago. I remember thinking that it's style and tone were in a few other (later) anime that I saw.

Must have been a little influential

EDIT: After some research it seems Hiroaki Sato was in charge of it, and he was animation director on akira.

John Blade

i kinda wanna watch wolf's rain again, but at the same time I also don't wanna cry uncontrollably again like I did back when it aired on adult swim

Still a good show. I didn`t cry but I feel the sadness when it happen. Very powerful I would say. Kinda ruin me a bit as they won`t any anime show that will beat it in how they did it.

Now, I am going to slow down watching the next Sakura Wars show and go start watching 009-1. I heard it isn`t a good show but let`s see how entertaining I will be as I watch it.

Dresden

Onepunch Man - 1

I'd like this more if the episode was three minutes long.

Somera-chan- 1

I'd like this more if the episode had more punching in it.

The Perfect Insider - 1

The opening is cool.

Narag

Oh hey PS Narag did you get my list of backlog anime I'm gonna watch this year. Because I forget what I put on it besides LOGH.
Russ T
Legend of Galactic Heroes
Gintama (75 episodes in)
Space Brothers (62 episodes in)
Lupin III (red/pink/blue)
Space Battleship Yamato 2199
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Mawaru Penguindrum
Steins;Gate
Sayonara, Zetsubou-Sensei

Narag

CR has been good to me lately.

I'm not sure if they ramped up their hosting services or what, but I haven't had any stuttering issues like previous seasons for popular new shows.

Same here, I can finally use it without issue. It's been great.

Yu-Gi-Oh! GX Episode 32 & 33
CYka6JFW8AAIpMi.png
CYka6KkWMAAOG8E.png

Vampire Camula duel will be one of the more memorable and emotional moments for the entire series I think. Emotion with Kaiser and Chrono giving it their all then some good old Manjoume Thunder and Juudai bed action, topped with excellent dueling.

JulianImp

Gotta thank the people who mentioned Say "I love you" a short while ago. It had been a while since the I've last watched a romance series, and it's actually quite good! I've just watched the first four episodes so far, but I've got to say that the lack of slapstick humor is most welcome, since that's the kind of thing I just can't stand in shows like this (such as Your Lie In April, which was great most of the time bud had several slapstick scenes that really hurt it in my eyes).

ibyea

Banned

Sure, I guess I will put Fantastic Children, Kino's Journey, Skull Man, and Key the Metal Idol in my mind for future watching.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Gundam Iron Blood Orphan 14
First job, and tekkadan already got into trouble.
You really can't trust someone who's name is too fancy (lol, Savarin).
About time Fumitan being traitor is shown on screen, because it so damn obvious from the very 1st episode.

VRMN

Gotta thank the people who mentioned Say "I love you" a short while ago. It had been a while since the I've last watched a romance series, and it's actually quite good! I've just watched the first four episodes so far, but I've got to say that the lack of slapstick humor is most welcome, since that's the kind of thing I just can't stand in shows like this (such as Your Lie In April, which was great most of the time bud had several slapstick scenes that really hurt it in my eyes).

It's easily in my top three romances of all time. I adore Say "I Love You" and wish it got the love it deserves.

Daisuki is worse than Funi, honestly. CR destroys both, but Daisuki's player is garbage even compared to Funi's.

Funi made it seem like they are revamping their player.

Daisuki needs an overhaul, I dont understand what they do during their "maintenance" periods. Also their site seems like it fails to want to display video ads, I go through many videos with no ads. Also the bottom 10 or so pixels on the screen always shows distortions during videos, its distracting.

sonicmj1

BBK/BNK 1

I was pretty intrigued by the first half. Sure, it was the only part of the episode where some of the CG didn't feel right to me, but it built an intriguing world, with these giant robots Buranki sleepwalking around aimlessly. I kind of like when crazy technology gets mixed with a traditional rural setting, and this really fit the bill. There was even some nice unspoken worldbuilding, like the way the characters don't react to the booming footsteps of the Buranki. It's something they've grown used to over the years.

But then the inciting incident happens and causes a timeskip where everyone's in Tokyo for some reason on the tenth anniversary (of course) of the inciting incident, and a bunch of overdesigned kids with random magic weapons Bubuki get paired up against a bunch of overdesigned adults with Bubuki, and a bunch of flashy attacks fly around, and I don't give a fuck about anyone or anything anymore. At least the backgrounds are really, really pretty.

If I wanted this, I'd pick God Eater back up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom