• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I watched the First Episode of Legend of the Galatic heroes, and it just doesn't feel like my kind of show. Does it pick up a bit later?

Daisuki is by far the worst Streaming site I have used. I hate the layout, the "Keep me logged in" doesn't work. Half the time the resolution doesn't actually change. I swear 720p looks better then 1080p on it, 1080p normally has a bunch of weird junk going on at the bottom of the screen (and most of the shows are native 720 anyway I think)

Jarmel

Banned
BBK/BNK 1

I was pretty intrigued by the first half. Sure, it was the only part of the episode where some of the CG didn't feel right to me, but it built an intriguing world, with these giant robots Buranki sleepwalking around aimlessly. I kind of like when crazy technology gets mixed with a traditional rural setting, and this really fit the bill. There was even some nice unspoken worldbuilding, like the way the characters don't react to the booming footsteps of the Buranki. It's something they've grown used to over the years.

But then the inciting incident happens and causes a timeskip where everyone's in Tokyo for some reason on the tenth anniversary (of course) of the inciting incident, and a bunch of overdesigned kids with random magic weapons get paired up against a bunch of overdesigned adults with random magic weapons, and a bunch of flashy attacks fly around, and I don't give a fuck about anyone or anything anymore. At least the backgrounds are really, really pretty.

If I wanted this, I'd pick God Eater back up.

You forgot the kuma shock ending that is supposed to be some sort of twist however there's no reason to care.

I guess I'm one of the few that liked the second half of Burbank more than the first half.

You would!

But I liked both halves more or less the same. I never got much emotional attachment to the characters, but the setting is intriguing enough that I'm willing to see where it goes. Also, I liked the ending of the episode, on a purely visual level if nothing else.

Jarmel

Banned
My problem is that it doesn't set up any of these relationships or world itself after the timeskip. Things happen that are seemingly big events because characters mention it but due to the lack of context and the number of events happening, there isn't any sort of tension or importance.

During times in the 2nd half I was literally asking out loud, "Why are you wasting my time with this?" as I didn't care. Why should I care whether this group of people die protecting the main character? Why do I care that the typical childhood love interest's father was killed by Mr.Fedora? Why do I care that the robot is now Lilith'd?

Narag

Perfect Insider 5

As much as I like this, someone casually remembering hey should put the corpse away feels like a real oversight both in-universe and out. :lol

Just T

Osomatsu-san: 14

Pretty funny ep, so many Jyushimatsus lol.

Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm: 1

That was a decent first ep. Besides the usually used walking in on changing scene; it could turn out to be a fun show. Also that sleeve shit on their arms when they’re in costume looks awful.

Narag

Oh here's a weird question. Does the main body of a noitamina episode run continuously or are there commercials somewhere in the middle? Watching this it only just now occurred to me that there wasn't an eyecatch and that the episodes themselves have felt really seamless.

Quasar

Crunchyroll - Terrible website filled with bloat and garbage, great web player, decent apps on consoles and devices.

FUNi - Terrible website filled with bad design, not to good player, terrible release standards, super duper region locked.

Daisuki - Simple and easy to use website, terrible player with heavy CPU load and sometimes doesn't play at all, crappy buffering too, no apps at all.

Youtube - Not to great quality, but works on anything and gives me what I want. Exclusively associated with GUNDAM as far as anime distribution goes tho. :)

Hulu - Lol hulu. Lolol.

Daisuki has apps. I use the ipad app occassionally.

I'm pretty happy just using Crunchyroll and Animelab though. Those both work great for me. I just have some interface issues (on applletv4 and androidtv at least) with Animelab. Though the latter is still in closed beta.

Also...

Hanabee - purely web based. But it does have what may be the only free way to legally stream all of bakemonogatari. Wish they'd build an app.

Every decade, the anime community is graced with a few standout anime. Akira in the 80s, Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion in the 90s, Ghost in the Shell and Gurren Lagann in the 2000s, Amagi Brilliant Park in the 2010s. What makes these anime stand out from the competition? What makes a classic work of anime "classic?

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku o ep 1

Holy shit! This anime is so awesome. It was funny as hell. Did not expect it to be so good. This and Erased are my favs this season for sure. Gate too, but that isn't new.

Every decade, the anime community is graced with a few standout anime. Akira in the 80s, Cowboy Bebop and Evangelion in the 90s, Ghost in the Shell and Gurren Lagann in the 2000s, Amagi Brilliant Park in the 2010s. What makes these anime stand out from the competition? What makes a classic work of anime "classic?

I'm sure you think you're being hilarious, but you're not.

I'm sure you think you're being hilarious, but you're not.

I'm sorry, I should have known I would upset the true ABP fans. I didn't respect your feelings, and I can never atone for that.

I should have chosen higher quality anime to match it with. Evangelion and Akira just haven't help up well in comparison.

Instro

I don't get it.

Jaxec

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku 1

This is definitely one of my favorite first episodes of the season. It had me dying at some parts, especially the beginning, and I love how Kazuma and Aqua bro it out during the montage. My only complaint is some QUALITY here and there, but I'm fine with it since I like the comedy and characters. Plus the director also worked on Kore wa Zombie, a favorite of mine, and School Rumble Season 2.

Puruzi

Banned
Amaburi
p0QHO.gif

GAF.

Banned
I used to be " hulu lol" but after trying out the no commercial trial.

really liking the site. it has the tv shows I watched and good amount of anime catalogue

watched the entire One Punch

Line_HTX

Oh here's a weird question. Does the main body of a noitamina episode run continuously or are there commercials somewhere in the middle? Watching this it only just now occurred to me that there wasn't an eyecatch and that the episodes themselves have felt really seamless.

Which shows are you watching? I think there are breaks, but it's hard to tell where. I'm guessing there isn't a channel that wouldn't have a short commercial break in the middle, not even A-TX.

What do you guys think of the protagonist from ERASED?

I don't dislike him, but I feel like he's too contradictory.

He's anxious, incredibly so about not knowing himself, but he seems
pretty at ease with having superpowers.

Narag

Perfect Insider 6

First ten minute so felt weird but this is a little more dense than your average anime so collating all the info until this point was probably necessary given the format.

I used to be " hulu lol" but after trying out the no commercial trial.

really liking the site. it has the tv shows I watched and good amount of anime catalogue

watched the entire One Punch

I've never really minded the ads. I usually just use a combo of Hulu, which features most of Funimations simulcasts plus their own, and Crunchyroll all as a free subscriber pleb.

Daisuki is just meh. They've never really sold me on their service outside of having exclusive Gundam shows and now they don't even have that now.

Crunchyroll - Terrible website filled with bloat and garbage, great web player, decent apps on consoles and devices.

Depends on which console your talking about. its still pretty shit on PS3, which is now delegated from gaming to my main streaming box still, though it has improved since the initial launch. My favorite bug is the one where ads will pop up once on a show, and then subsequent appearances of ads have no sound. That eventually leads into turning me into an actual subscriber of the service because the ads stop playing altogether. I mean the screen goes black for a sec like it wants to play an ad but then it just goes back to the show. I still get random crashes every now and then as well when ads don't load in.

I do like how they brought the ad supported version to consoles though. Everyone including hulu and Funimation should be taking notes on that one.

Prince of Stride: Alternative 2
This was a step down from the first episode, especially given how much of it was devoted to having the characters model. Hopefully next week will be better now that they're actually competing.

pbayne

What do you guys think of the protagonist from ERASED?

I don't dislike him, but I feel like he's too contradictory.

He's anxious, incredibly so about not knowing himself, but he seems
pretty at ease with having superpowers.

I guess its hard to make a judgement based on 1 episode but I kind of took his acceptance of his powers as a sign that its the one thing left in his life that he finds value in, given his creative difficulties(failed manga artist) and his general detachment from people.

But at the same time it feels like he does it for himself more than to help others.

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 1
Before watching this I had thought that this was going to be playing it straight, but it's actually a parody of all of those shitty reincarnation stories, and a pretty amusing one at that. There's not much in the way of comedy this season outside of some shorts so I'll probably watch more of this.

I guess its hard to make a judgement based on 1 episode but I kind of took his acceptance of his powers as a sign that its the one thing left in his life that he finds value in, given his creative difficulties(failed manga artist) and his general detachment from people.

But at the same time it feels like he does it for himself more than to help others.

Yeah, that makes sense. It's just weird to see a character defined most by his anxiety so calm.

Also completely unrelated, but I feel confident that dropping Prince of Stride was the right choice based on episode 2.

Episode 2 barely had any...Striding? It doesn't help that for a Madhouse production, Prince of Stride looks pretty dull.

AUTep5E.jpg

The show looks really washed out to me. The actual setting doesn't feel like it has any weight.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Have we seriously only got 1.5 OTs this season?

Guess that's what happens when the only good shows on offer are the shorts.

Narag

I know in the past sometimes people wait to see if a show is worth making an OT over before putting the effort in.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara 1
Parody of mahou shojo genre. Err, i like majority of Futami Sui works, but unfortunately, this is not one of them.
Protagonist dad being corporate slave did make me chuckle.

pbayne

Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara 1
Parody of mahou shojo genre. Err, i like majority of Futami Sui works, but unfortunately, this is not one of them.
Protagonist dad being corporate slave did make me chuckle.

Watch Nurse Witch Koumugi for a superior parody of magic girls shows this season

NCR Redslayer

NeoGAF's Vegeta

I have been watching only House waiting for some good shows and have already seen 6 seasons.
Sooner or later when I'm done I've got to finish TV Berserk.

blurr

i'll take it considering it's free hd and i don't need to add another subscription for the one show i want to watch that funi has

Yeah Peace Peace

Dimension W 01

Cool visuals but the setting and story feels really familiar but that's alright. Started this because a lot of people were saying good stuff about it.

Favorite part is probably the Ebata walk in the ED song.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Watch Nurse Witch Koumugi for a superior parody of magic girls shows this season
I didn't think Nurse Witch Koumugi was parody when I watched it. It's fairly tongue in cheek with how it approaches a few different things but it's really just head on traditional magical girl stuff.

Erigu

First Season:
Bakemonogatari
Kizumonogatari
Nisemonogatari
Nekomonogatari (Kuro)

Second Season:
Nekomonogatari (Shiro)
Kabukimonogatari
Hanamonogatari
Otorimonogatari
Onimonogatari
Koimonogatari

Final Season:
Tsukimonogatari
Koyomimonogatari
Owarimonogatari
Zoku-Owarimonogatari

Off Season:
Orokamonogatari
Wazamonogatari
Nademonogatari
<- NEW
Musubimonogatari <- NEW

Those are both due for this year, and I guess there's a good chance they'll be released around the same time as the remaining Kizumonogatari movies.

My problem is that it doesn't set up any of these relationships or world itself after the timeskip. Things happen that are seemingly big events because characters mention it but due to the lack of context and the number of events happening, there isn't any sort of tension or importance.

During times in the 2nd half I was literally asking out loud, "Why are you wasting my time with this?" as I didn't care. Why should I care whether this group of people die protecting the main character? Why do I care that the typical childhood love interest's father was killed by Mr.Fedora? Why do I care that the robot is now Lilith'd?
It just first episode.
And since it's 2 cour show so they have bunch of times to explain it, i can trust Jiro Ishii.

Qurupeke

Off Season:

Nademonogatari <- NEW
Musubimonogatari
<- NEW

Those are both due for this year, and I guess there's a good chance they'll be released around the same time as the remaining Kizumonogatari movies.
What do the words on each one mean? I wonder what they'll be about. Also, I've heard that the other Off season books are mostly self contained stories, no over arching plot. Hopefully, they'll get back on it with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom