• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter Anime 2016 |OT| Celebrating the New Year and PSO2's release in the west!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dagashi Kashi 2

Saya continues to be best girl. I enjoyed the ramune whistle story as silly, the candy bully girls were the perfect design haha.

And the card flipping game reminds me of 'tasos', which we used to get in SA with our chips. They were small rectangular plastic 'cards' that we also played like, only you put two of them on top of each other and then you'd try to flip them both. Everybody had their 'lead pokemon' one, though we had them themed like Cartoon Network shows. My champion cock was Eddy from Ed Edd n Eddy. That motherfucker could flip them with the best of 'em

Divine Gate has a main character who never eats hot food, because his abusive parents never gave him anything hot to eat.

That's not to say he won't take hot food. He'll just put ice cubes in it to cool it down before he eats.

He puts ice cubes in Ramen.

Unless Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu comes out with a top tier Opening and Ending. I'll just say that Erased has the best Opening and Ending this season.

That Ending is just too good visually.

Unless Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu comes out with a top tier Opening and Ending. I'll just say that Erased has the best Opening and Ending this season.

I really like the ending song of Shouwa Genroku so I'm hoping that it's accompanied by great visuals. We'll see soon I guess but there's definitely some potential.

Sometimes I wonder if DTL is just in it for the long con. Secretly nonstop trolling.

Visit his Tumblr

Rakugo's ED song is so much better, while the Erased one loses it in the middle.

So not sure if I will not just skip the Erased ED after all.

I really like the ending song of Shouwa Genroku so I'm hoping that it's accompanied by great visuals. We'll see soon I guess but there's definitely some potential.

Megumi Hayashibara's song that played over the credits at the end of the first episode is actually the opening theme. (Erased did the same thing in its first episode.) Whatever the ending theme is has not been announced.

Okay, here is the anime I want -

2 people get together - High School seniors or in college - and hit it off. Romance is established in the first 2 or 3 episodes. The girl gets pregnant though, and the focus of the show appears to be whether or not they are going to get an abortion or not. They end up going through with it, and the show is REALLY about how they are each affected by that choice and the fears that led them to making it - the guy being glad they did and the woman being upset or vice versa - but still having the lingering affection from their relationship.

Or something. That'd be pretty sweet. Someone get a Kickstarter going.

Rotnems

Neo Member

2 people get together - High School seniors or in college - and hit it off. Romance is established in the first 2 or 3 episodes. The girl gets pregnant though, and the focus of the show appears to be whether or not they are going to get an abortion or not. They end up going through with it, and the show is REALLY about how they are each affected by that choice and the fears that led them to making it - the guy being glad they did and the woman being upset or vice versa - but still having the lingering affection from their relationship.

Or something. That'd be pretty sweet.

Keep dreaming

phaze

Dagashi Kashi 02
014039o8r31.jpg

This opening is still hilariously bad. Gonna drop this here cause just as I thought while reading the manga, this is not funny in the slightest and the candy trivia/eating bore the hell out of me.

Erased 02

I can only parrot the positive reception this got here. I like that the depiction of kids feels much more realistic then in many other shows attempting to do that. The one thing that irks me a bit is the excessive amount of internal monologues from mc but I guess that it is,especially after this "revival" inescapable.

If the ED was bit less chaotic and more .. continuous I guess, I'd probably mark it as one of my all time favourites.

Megumi Hayashibara's song that played over the credits at the end of the first episode is actually the opening theme. (Erased did the same thing in its first episode.) Whatever the ending theme is has not been announced.

Like Hosanna said its the opening.

Oh it is? Well, at the end of the day a good song is a good song so it doesn't matter either way. Wonder what the ED song would be then, hopefully as good as the OP.

Wouldn't be suprised if there's an actual movie or book that covers this subject. Not everything has to be an anime you know.

Wouldn't be suprised if there's an actual movie or book that covers this subject. Not everything has to be an anime you know.

I know there are things pretty close in films and lit. Cider House Rules and House Of Brede are really good novels on the subject, and.. well, I haven't really seen any movies that handled abortion that well (the best ones still typically end up with them deciding to keep the child and they figure things out). But I want an animation, damn it! :p Things like Wolf Children, 5cm Per Second, and Usagi Drop prove that anime can handle mature themes and relationships.

Exalted

Dagashi Kashi Episode 2

Meh, i didn't really found it funny, i think it was even less funny than the first episode. All that candy explanations was kinda boring to me. Also doesn't help that there is already a much better and funnier candy show this season.
Droped

phaze

Koufuku Graffiti 1-12 END
koufuku4ptsjg.jpg
koufuku23gsw8.jpg
koufuku3ekshh.jpg
koufuku1k5s83.jpg

Koufuku Graffiti is a cooking anime.

The further I got into the show, the more my enthusiasm for it petered out. I suppose that's just a reminder that I don't fare well with SoLs. (Can I please call them that.) Koufuku tries to be a bit more than just "cute girls cooking cute things" anime with its grandma and absentee parents angle and I can't fault it for that bah I applaud it, it's just after first few episodes, it fails to anything interesting with that angle. One thing I thought Soma did better was its focus on preparing the food and the various little tricks used in the process that made it quite educational in places. This is much less the case with KG, where the process of preparing the dishes is often skipped altogether.

Still, an okayish show uplifted by various Shaftisms and Kirin's whole persona.

Koufuku Graffiti suffered two things:

- weak source with a gimmick
- and that Okada basically just repeated what she did with Sketchbook.

And no, Koufuku was never a cooking anime but the social aspects of eating together was the main dish of the series - see the first episode when Ryou stated that her cooking became stale because she doesn't cook for another dear person anymore.

An anime about abortion? There's nothing entertaining about abortion so I dont understand why one would want this made. I also don't understand why they would need to have it. They clearly have money sources if they are in college, and your concept says they are in love and have a lasting relationship, so I cant see why they would be entertaining the idea of abortion. Theres no justification for it.

Might as well just get an Secret Life Of The American Teenager anime made.

An anime about abortion? There's nothing entertaining about abortion so I dont understand why one would want this made. I also don't understand why they would need to have it. They clearly have money sources if they are in college, and your concept says they are in love and have a lasting relationship, so I cant see why they would be entertaining the idea of abortion. Theres no justification for it.

Film isn't all about being entertaining. Film has its roots in the same mummy complex that painting and the plastic arts are built on - a big part of it is preserving and displaying the human ideal. Just because you can take care of a child doesn't mean you necessarily want to. A child is a lot of responsibility - more than money, a child takes away a lot of time. But at the same time, a child is a part of you. It's something entirely unique from two people. The show isn't about abortion. The core of the idea is showing two different people going through life, in love with each other but ultimately two different people with different ways of seeing things and coping, and dealing with the repercussions of one of the hardest decisions anyone can make.

I mean, you could say movies like It's a Wonderful LIfe are about suicide, Up is about loss, Dancer in the Dark about the execution of a prodigal dancer, Old Yeller is about the death of a dog. None of these things are inherently entertaining, it's the poetry of the execution (no pun intended towards Dancer in the Dark..) that makes them some of the greatest films of all time.

In my head, this theoretical couple I came up with aren't afraid of feeding and caring for the child, ultimately they are scared of each other and whether they want to make such a huge commitment. A relationship doesn't just solidify one day. There are always doubts, especially growing up. I dated a girl for three years in high school and one day we just kind... quit. Three years was 1/6 of my life at that point.

They clearly have money sources if they are in college

Have you ever been in college..? I certainly don't have money to feed anyone besides myself, not with 12+ hours of my week being taken up by lecture, time taken by homework, and then the job I have to juggle while being in between. All the while still trying to keep some semblance of a relationship with my fiance.

HEAVY OBJECT 14

VWMOiuV.jpg

The piercing stares...

End of the two-parter.

So this time the enemy boss isn't another Object, but rather another "Qwenthur" so to speak.

Although unlike Qwenthur, Sladder uses more elaborate and high risky expensive traps, using both the Super Railgun and the experimental reactor as 'feigns'.

So yes we finally get to talk about using the spare parts of the Objects, rather than the whole Object itself, to kill other Objects. However as noted, not one of them actually succeeded- the only Object kills in this arc were by other Objects. But whether it works or not isn't important, so long as the potential is there. (Also note, the Legend of the Student of the Battlefield begins now...)

"The price of your tits are too high!"

I have two show ideas in mind when it comes to making my own personal anime.

One would just be a short about friends playing videogames. That would be it. Just friends hanging out playing games. Could make some reference to classics, but would mostly deal with modern gaming conventions and ideas.

Second, I would make a basketball anime, only with mechas. And the final match between the hero and the rival character would be on a court that falling to earth, slowly breaking apart. Imagine G-Gundam only with Basketball.

So the second one isn't very original, but I like it.

One would just be a short about friends playing videogames. That would be it. Just friends hanging out playing games. Could make some reference to classics, but would mostly deal with modern gaming conventions and ideas.

Second, I would make a basketball anime, only with mechas. And the final match between the hero and the rival character would be on a court that falling to earth, slowly breaking apart. Imagine G-Gundam only with Basketball.

I'd love a more realistic show about two people trying to become pro gamers or something. ._. This is a thing I never knew I wanted.

So episode 2 of Rakugo Shinjuu still doesn't have an OP; it plays the opening credits over the episode proper again. There's an ED sequence at the end, directed and drawn by director Mamoru Hatakeyama himself, set to a slow jazz instrumental. Since the ED is focused on the flashback, it's likely that there will be other EDs in the show in the future.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

The first anime sound like Hi-score girl (ok, there's a slight change, since the characters are boy and girl, and the game is more of a classic one) but SNK and SE editor incompentence put an end to it, for now.

2nd one sound like Basquash.
Edit: lol, beaten, but just give it a shot. It is a ridiculous show.

Nice :D

Dagashi Kashi 2

Lol, Dagashi gundam war. I guess the director love putting anime or game reference.
I feel nostalgic seeing Menko, since i also play similar game during my childhood. It usually a bonus from snack.

Wait, someone already made it? And it looks like it has decent production values for a 2009 show?

Welp, gotta watch it now.

I didn't finish it, what I remember of it was okay-ish but weird.

As in non-traditional-mecha-anime-weird-kind-of-weird.

But don't take my word for it, it's been several years.

pbayne

A few series of .hack was basically this. It made the stakes in the show really stupid.

JulianImp

I finished watching Say "I love you", and it was quite good, with all characters serving a purpose and interacting with each other in meaningful ways. Seeing Mei's growth as a character was great, and it was also nice that she didn't get completely over being socially awkward, but rather that she'd still need a little push from her friends every now and then when she got caught in her own defeatist thoughts.

The model girl seemed like trouble right from the start, but it was nice that the show explored what made her act like she did but without having her narrate her sob story to the rest of the cast. My only gripe with her character is that the show just kept hammering us with "you're last on the line because you're ugly!" over and over, and I kind of wished her arc didn't feel so rushed by the end.

And while I'm okay with a couple contrived coincidences every now and then, I think the final episode had an oversaturation of them that made the drama feel overly forced, such as:
  • Yamato allowing his little sister tell Mei over his phone that he didn't want to meet her
  • Mei thinking he was angry with her as a result and then having second thoughts about visiting him every other scene
  • Yamato getting a call from a friend and arriving to the wrong conclussion that he was going to date Mei (seriously, Yamato?)
  • Yamato rushing out of bed to meet Mei while he had a cold/fever
  • Them somehow missing each other due to Mei looking the wrong way just as he passed running by (which she should've noticed, geez)
  • Yamato's phone battery dying just as he was about to answer Mei's call
  • Said missed call making Mei think he was really angry with her as a result
  • The bakery owner recognizing Yamato as a model and holding him back for quite a while when he was in a rush to find Mei

Despite that weird final episode, I'd say it was a great romance show that didn't feel overly forced, and thankfully lacked an overabundance of mood whiplash scenes that I was used to with the few similar shows I had watched before.

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan
I didn't finish it, what I remember of it was okay-ish but weird.

As in non-traditional-mecha-anime-weird-kind-of-weird.

But don't take my word for it, it's been several years.

It is full of stupid weird stuff
A character named Iceman Hotty,
a myth about how the world was created in a basketball game between the gods.
A sneaker for a mech (seriously, all of them are wearing sneaker)

Have you ever been in college..? I certainly don't have money to feed anyone besides myself, not with 12+ hours of my week being taken up by lecture, time taken by homework, and then the job I have to juggle while being in between. All the while still trying to keep some semblance of a relationship with my fiance.

Being in college and with a job automatically makes one more well off than a large portion of the population. Not to mention there are people getting by with both people in school and having a kid to take care of. Decreasing course load and working more is possible. I think in the context of the proposed story more drama and seeing the integrity and perseverance of the human condition is still achieved without the abortion aspect.

Numerous BL doujin and BL fics use that concept as a prompt. The guys play games (usually Smash Bros or Mario Kart), then the game gets intense, one falls on top of the other, passionate make out session occurs

Mokoi

Banned
Divine Gate has a main character who never eats hot food, because his abusive parents never gave him anything hot to eat.

That's not to say he won't take hot food. He'll just put ice cubes in it to cool it down before he eats.

He puts ice cubes in Ramen.
Wait what lol. Kind of tempted to watch this now, but doesn't look good at all. Pls post webms of this ice cube in ramen scene.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom