• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -6| How much lower can we go?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I've always (well not always but you know what I mean) had the idea that there should be a highschool based anime/manga about a chav going to live in Japan who can't even speak Japanese. So of course he'll (or maybe a she to fuck with the waifu culture) be speaking proper chavvy English while the Japanese student will try their best with terrible English. No matter where you live you'll need subs.

She does have an umbrella.
It's not proper British unless it's a cheap one that they picked up for free with the Evening Standard.

Jintor

I've always (well not always but you know what I mean) had the idea that there should be a highschool based anime/manga about a chav going to live in Japan who can't even speak Japanese. So of course he'll (or maybe a she to fuck with the waifu culture) be speaking proper chavvy English while the Japanese student will try their best with terrible English. No matter where you live you'll need subs.

I hope it utilises cockney rhyming slang.

Polar Bear Cafe 01

I'm not sure what I expected, but it exceeded expectations.

wonzo

Banned
The official site for the Kiniro Mosaic 4koma-based girls comedy anime is now live:

http://www.kinmosa.com/

Starts airing in July, animated by Studio Gokumi.
Huh, pretty much every show in that Houbunsha ad that aired during Hidamari Sketch x Honeycomb's getting an anime of its own now. Weird, I guess it's only a matter of time until this one gets a series of its own too.

No waiting forever for a new chapter, no chicken scratches when a new chapter does finally emerge, no waiting for the DLC Volumes to fix it.
and that's if they fix it (see the chicken-scratch in the latest HxH volumes)

wonzo

Banned
Aikatsu! 23

aikatsu23.jpg

You mean to tell me you have five CG people on the stage and you don't even take the chance to pull a five person special appeal in all its stilted CG glory!? What the fuck is this bullshit?!!??!

Kazzy

Make it a Black Country dialect!

wonzo

Banned
Otona Joshi no Anime Time - Supper

Well, this was kinda sexist. I mean, maybe I'm just over-thinking things a bit but the whole "woman finding her place in the kitchen" thing and the "pet at home" stuff the love interesting was going on about was just... yeesh. It could just be the ramblings of an incredibly depressed woman living away from her loveless husband finding solace in the arms of a garbo but it still manages to rub me the wrong way. And that's before I even touch on the the "live-action" stuff which is pretty jarring during the hand close-ups but it fortunately isn't anywhere near as bad as the first special was:

Now imagine that low poly CG Taxi effortlessly slide off into the horizon of the photoshopped anal disaster and you'd have the perfect mental image of the absolute worst that CG cars and filtered backgrounds/video have to offer.

Polar Bear Cafe 01

I'm not sure what I expected, but it exceeded expectations.
*thumbsup*

Reknoc

Polar Bear Cafe is next up when I catch up on Girls und Panzer (or finish with how long it takes me to watch 3 episodes) or Hunter x Hunter

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
No wonder Articalys didn't bother with the OP/EDs of 2012 results. He knew that they were flawed from the get go with the lack of Polar Bear Cafe watchers.

forget koizumi, akagi, and saki. this is where THE REAL SHIT BEGINS
Year of Mahjong.
V2M7Oyl.gif

Do they ever explain why izayoi is so OP?
Izayoi is OP because of his gift ... as for what the gift does ....
Yes Izayoi and you habilities are explained including an explanation how high his true power is ,also abig revelation on you , jin and kuro usagi are on the menu should more episodes be animated.

Splash Star 06:

I like to imagine that Flappy secretly has an AR-15 or two and a bunker filled with thousands of cans of Manwich and Spaghetti-O's.
I'm not sure why you would think that ....
Does this help you like him to think like that ..or is this a "oh this might be funny" post ?

That second visual is awesome, can't wait to experience the Chimera Ant arc without the terrible art.
I guess any Hxh fan is looking forward to this.

We still have over 150 chapters to adapt, but IIRC a lot of the ones in the upcoming arc are shorter than usual. Of course I could be way off on that because it's been so long :(

Either way, we're probably good for another half year at least, but I doubt the guy will actually come back by then. The likeliest scenario is they'll adapt the next 2 arcs without messing up the pacing and then just ending it there. Until Togashi gives me a reason to believe in him, that's the prediction I'm sticking with.

If i have to place bets , that's where i'll bet.
For me this is the most likely scénario except a filler arc written by togashi himself but i feel like this is not realistic to hope for that

First PV for Hayate no Gotoku! Cuties with its wonderful Shizuka Itou OP song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUTjwbQw-SY

They are going back to the old house ??
Well thinking about it this is the best place for hayate to interract with all the girls freely.

zeroshiki

Its been years and years guys. Its more likely the Berserk guy stops playing Idolmaster enough to put out chapters than it is to get HxH at a regular rate.

Reknoc

Its been years and years guys. Its more likely the Berserk guy stops playing Idolmaster enough to put out chapters than it is to get HxH at a regular rate.

Which will happen first:

Berserk gets to Elf Island
Hunter x Hunter gets to Dark Continent

place your bets now!!

Jintor

I'm watching one of the clip show episodes of GuP and never realised the show had an actual explanation for why tank shells can hit a tank and be judged whether or not they just bounce off or disable the tank, despite the fact that (aside from the actual physical damage of hitting the tank with a fast-moving metal thing) explosions don't seem to have any effect. Of course, that explanation is more or less "We attach magical devices to the tank that instantaneously calculate whether or not it would have exploded", but still, it's nice that it exists.

/edit jesus, there's an entire alternate history of the world because Tankery was invented in the 1920s (although apparently WWII still happened).

fertygo

Kinda late but..

Single CD
10, 10,979 10,979 Gintama "Sakuramitsusuki"

11, 10,881 10,881 Magi "The Bravery"
16, *6,997 *6,997 Ogura Yui & Ishihara Kaori "Shiny Blue"
18, *6,717 41,435 Magi "Matataku Hoshi no Shita de"
23, *5,016 25,981 Psycho-Pass "All Alone With You"
24, *4,180 82,063 Doraemon: Nobita no Himitsu Dogu Hakubutsukan "Mirai no Museum"
29, *3,147 16,609 Love Live! School Idol Project "Korekara no Someday" "Wonder zone"
30, *3,087 13,115 Dokidoki! Precure "Happy Go Lucky! DokiDoki! Precure" "Kono Sora no Mukoh"
31, *2,753 13,746 Psycho-Pass "Out of Control"
38, *1,963 *1,963 Hatano Wataru "Kimi wa Boku no Kaeru Basho"
47, *1,683 *1,683 Precure All Stars New Stage 2: Kokoro no Tomodachi "Precure ~Eien no Tomodashi~ 2013 version" "Minna Tomodachi"

Yeahhhhh, SPYAIR.. what a awesome OP.

Weekly Sales Rankings for March 11-17:

Blu-ray
*1, 5,532 *5,532 K vol.7
*2, 5,354 *5,354 K vol.6

DVD
*1, 2,695 *,**2,695 K vol.7
*3, 2,528 *,**2,528 K vol.6

Another slow week with almost nothing new. A bunch of stuff hits this week though, so expect some big numbers next time.

No final K average? I thought v7 was the final volume?

Anyway, so glad their already doing an s2 and cant wait for the dub, hopefully the characters in my avy, mikoto and munakata, make a return.

Articalys

No final K average? I thought v7 was the final volume?

Anyway, so glad their already doing an s2 and cant wait for the dub, hopefully the characters in my avy, mikoto and munakata, make a return.
something hadn't finished analysis when I made the initial post.

K -- 7,423 avg. across 7 volumes

There's a lot of things factoring into that number that probably belie the true sales strength of K, though, including how volume 1 was cheaper and only one episode and these last two volumes were boosted by an included event ticket. When almost half the volumes of a series had something special affecting their sales... still, that's the final number as it is. Without boosts, it would probably have sold around 6,700 average, which still isn't too bad.
(the above paragraph is all just my armchair speculation, so feel free to ignore it if you wish)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Eh, didn't want to bother with double posting.

Blood Lad is finally confirmed for the Summer season, starting in July. They're having a special presentation at ACE, probably to announce the voice cast. The site also updated with a new all-characters key visual:

sonicmj1

Due to some Japanese work-related partying of my own, I'm a day behind on Backlog Season. Maybe I'll catch up tomorrow. Couldn't do it today, though. Hard to resist the siren song of Girls und Panzer.

Hataraki Man 11

That wasn't how I expected them to continue things, but I thought it was fairly well-handled. As others mentioned, there isn't really anyone to blame in that situation. Things change, people change. There was a certain ceiling-related visual metaphor that was kind of tortured, but it is what it is.

ibihJTFEhdgvtx.jpg

Even though this show abhors animating things, it often gets by with smart choices in still frames. I thought this one was particularly effective for what was happening, thanks to how it framed the characters.

The interesting subtext in this episode is that
the job switch that Shinji was trying to be optimistic about hasn't really worked out, and he now hates that he's no longer involved in making things. I can't blame him for breaking things off with Matsukata, but he's ending the series in a pretty bad place.

END

Hataraki Man sometimes deeply frustrated me, and sometimes it depressed me. But I admired its commitment to showing a relatively unfiltered look at Japanese work culture. You almost never see this kind of thing in anime, and its honest, uncritical look at the kinds of problems and expectations that exist in an office taught me a lot. It doesn't try to hide the difficulties its characters face. When so many issues seem to be "solved" by the mantra of hard work and commitment to the company, it shows how draining that way of living can be. I wish the rewarding aspects of work life came across a little better, as they were often hamstrung by the show's paltry animation budget.

The show also did a great job at establishing its primary characters in each episode. Many people only had a brief time in the spotlight, but the show reliably built every one of them into a real personality inside of five minutes. With maybe only Kaji as a befuddling exception, I was always invested in the problems each of these individuals faced, and I was really happy when they succeeded. Like that salesman guy. Good on him.

It's not a perfect series, but it was almost always interesting. If the idea of a show about the problems faced by real adults working in a Japanese office excites you, it's a show worth seeing.

Now what are you lazing around for?
ielWK6UXgG3o0.jpg

Jarmel

Banned
Blood Lad is finally confirmed for the Summer season, starting in July. They're having a special presentation at ACE, probably to announce the voice cast. The site also updated with a new all-characters key visual:

That looks better than earlier but still looks completely uninspired.

Wait the previous hayate butler ended? Always thought those seasons were forever.

Did it ever get good? The ugly art and the boring serious plot turned me off. And I don't even know half the cast they slapped in without explanation for anime walking people.

PsionBolt

Seems most people who might read this have already seen the movie, but eh.

Smile Precure Movie

- That reused OP animation again.

- Peace being great and overpowered, I'll take it. Blasting away baddies and knocking Milky Rose-tier craters into the ground, as expected of the most popular Cure ever.

- I BEAT PEACE AT ROCK-PAPER-SCISSORS.

- This movie really dislikes Sunny. Every time she appears she's getting hit in the head or something.

- Again with the twisted Japanese logic of happiness. "If you don't smile even when you're sad, you'll be... sad!" The rare moments of hypocrisy from the Smile cures had so much wasted potential.

- Seeing beamspam fail always pleases me. Somebody at Toei understands our pain.

- Hey. That seashell-wearing mermaid in the Miracle Lights scene was definitely topless before. No fun allowed.

-
We cheer for everyone, but only Happy gets an Ultra form? Of course. At least the others get to wear their Princess forms outside of stock footage

-
Nico confesses her pure love for Miyuki, and Miyuki's response is to cry
. We're taking on water, Captain.

- The ending dance was just Smile ED2. I probably shouldn't have expected any different, especially after New Stage didn't even get a medley, but it would have been nice. Smile had great EDs anyway, so I guess it's fine.

- Everyone who has not yet seen Smile but is considering it should watch this movie first. It's more or less made of three episodes (39, 44, and 48) put togteher, so it contains a bite of every aspect of the TV show: the comedy, storybook theme, slightly-too-long sections of crying and preaching, and occasional combat. It's also about equal in quality to the series. (The same can't usually be said - most Precure movies are worse, while Max Heart 2 and Yes 5 Gogo are much better than their associated series.)

Which will happen first:

Berserk gets to Elf Island
Hunter x Hunter gets to Dark Continent

place your bets now!!

Berserk will be first

"Samurai Heart" should always be number one.
It's the best

Wait the previous hayate butler ended? Always thought those seasons were forever.

Did it ever get good? The ugly art and the boring serious plot turned me off. And I don't even know half the cast they slapped in without explanation for anime walking people.

NO if you didn't like the serious plot , it didn't change at all.
However this new season is all comedy and misunderstandings and "i want to be hayate girlfriend" term of plot .

The new season is actually set Before the one that just aired so it might be easier for you to understand things.

something hadn't finished analysis when I made the initial post.

K -- 7,423 avg. across 7 volumes

There's a lot of things factoring into that number that probably belie the true sales strength of K, though, including how volume 1 was cheaper and only one episode and these last two volumes were boosted by an included event ticket. When almost half the volumes of a series had something special affecting their sales... still, that's the final number as it is. Without boosts, it would probably have sold around 6,700 average, which still isn't too bad.
(the above paragraph is all just my armchair speculation, so feel free to ignore it if you wish)

----------------------------------------------------------------

Eh, didn't want to bother with double posting.

Everyone loves K.

Ah and nice Blood Lad update. Wolf! Staz! Their subordinates are missing though :(

Defuser

Kinda late but..

Yeahhhhh, SPYAIR.. what a awesome OP.
Every major badass arc should have a spyair song and it always turn out great have holy fucking shit moments.

4 devas - Samurai heart.
Courtesian of nation - Sakuramitsuki.

Sorry DOES but Spyair is better.

fertygo

Every major badass arc should have a spyair song and it always turn out great have holy fucking shit moments.

4 devas - Samurai heart.
Courtesian of nation - Sakuramitsuki.

Sorry DOES but Spyair is better.

I rate them about the same but yeah SPYAIR rocks :D

I hope the next movie have their song as theme song too.

Let see.. Productive J-rock band usually releasing their single every 3-5 month, maybe that's a good sign :)

Naruto SD 50
tumblr_mjws6jpZcl1qhvdsmo2_500.jpg
tumblr_mjws6jpZcl1qhvdsmo3_500.jpg

Is this a reference to something? Fun episode for the next to last one I think (they kept saying final in the preview). Marriage counseling with Lady Hokage just had tons of hilarious moments all throughout especially tied into gambling. Other skit was dull, and where is Naruto :(

Shergal

According to Inferno Cop, Trigger's ongoing work looks pretty fucking awesome.

I think everyone can take this statement as a fact, considering the man it came from.

cajunator

Banned
I didn't know FUNi would bother licensing a three episode OVA, but good on them.

What?

Encouragement of Climb 11

It's like a shot of pure cuteness straight into your forearm

I can identify with that term.

The official site for the Kiniro Mosaic 4koma-based girls comedy anime is now live with the anime designs:

http://www.kinmosa.com/

Starts airing in July, animated by Studio Gokumi.

Good character designs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom