• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

MrS

Banned
Online, do we know what the F in a circle is by peoples names? I've got one on mine, fuck knows what it means though.

Lettuce

Great. : )

Apart from the effects which alter the music on the tracks, I actually prefer Spotify playing tracks over the menus. Whenever you restart in Omega with the default music, it loses the place in the previous track and switches to another one. Kind of frustrating when you want to avoid some of the cheesier tracks.

But if your had proper custom soundtrack support, you'd be using your own music so why would you add a 'cheesier' track if you didnt like it!?

Dash_

I didn't mention anything about custom soundtracks. I prefer the Spotify integration over the in-game playlist and don't have that much of a problem with it being overlayed considering ambient noise/sound effrcts are still present.

What's with the Just Passing Through trophy? I've been through 15 zone barriers and it hasn't unlocked.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I was worried about the Meltdown phantom tournament for no reason. That was ez if you do all the other stuff in Meltdown to get used to the speed.

Dash_

Just a heads up for anyone looking to get any XP and do nothing to obtain it. There's two speed boosts near the start of Sol you can speed over (your ship facing out opposite the course to the city). If you speed over them you'll be reset just before them when you fall off the course. Due to the momentum of the ship when you reset, you'll still have some speed even without touching accelerate. If you line yourself up beforehand, you can set yourself up to keep charging over them and resetting behind them without needing any extra control.

Leave it on overnight and you have yourself easy XP (Screw that grind to rank 50 without a lack of online campaign XP).

The location of the speed bumps is in this video. The exploit still works in Omega.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKe6j8ubcDA

Dash_

Congrats : ).

Just bought this Designers Republic art book that has Wipeout stuff in it.

http://www.otaku.co.uk/products/85800

U9sD1y7.jpg

Shaneus

I still think out of all the games, the ships feel the best to me in Wipeout 3 (SE, if that makes a difference). All the other titles just feel a bit more imprecise by comparison, IMO.

So bring on Wipeout Alpha!

Deimo5

Would Qirex prototype be the best bet for elite passing the 2048 eliminators? I just have a few of those and a couple of zones left.

CLEEK

Wip3out Super Special Edition would be all kinds of awesome.

I was replaying 2097 and SE last week in preparation for Omega, and they both play very week, but SE edges it for controls.

Wip3out was a technical masterpiece. High res mode, widescreen, rock solid frame rate, fancy effects like reflections. It still looks good today. I love the grungy, industrial futurism of the art design. Really contrasts to the high tech, shiny world of Pure/Pulse/HD/Fury,

Showaddy

I'm getting absolutely munched on Sebenco Climb on elite, thought my driving was ok but I've just hit a complete wall since I've got to the 4th set of races. I'm loathe to admit defeat and turn down the difficultly though.

Dash_

Oh yeah, I bought that too! I was surprised (and a bit disappointed) at how small it was, though. Closer in dimensions to a paperback novel than the artbooks we're used to.

That's not great. Still, I love me some tDR. All their stuff seems like it belongs in Wipeout's world.

Wip3out was a technical masterpiece. High res mode, widescreen, rock solid frame rate, fancy effects like reflections. It still looks good today. I love the grungy, industrial futurism of the art design. Really contrasts to the high tech, shiny world of Pure/Pulse/HD/Fury,

Still yet to play the Special Edition. Gonna pick it up and go through that and 2097. 3's campaign is boring as hell (repeat what you did with one team a thousand times over), but it has the best handling in the series.

CLEEK

I was late to the party with SE, passing up on it originally. I don't think I released how much extra content it had over Wip3out.

Bought a copy on eBay a few years ago. Worth it.

Wiped89

I didn't mention anything about custom soundtracks. I prefer the Spotify integration over the in-game playlist and don't have that much of a problem with it being overlayed considering ambient noise/sound effrcts are still present.

What's with the Just Passing Through trophy? I've been through 15 zone barriers and it hasn't unlocked.

It is impossible to prefer Spotify integration. Why? Spotify only has 10 out of 19 Wipeout Fusion tracks available, and only 4 out of 12 Wipeout 3 tracks :(

Shaneus

Still yet to play the Special Edition. Gonna pick it up and go through that and 2097. 3's campaign is boring as hell (repeat what you did with one team a thousand times over), but it has the best handling in the series.
I think the handling in SE is *slightly* improved (only what I think I've read, can't verify it for sure) but yeah, the campaign is basically non-existent.

Not that it matters though, there's such a zen flow when cruising around some of the tracks which I have never really felt in any of the other games.

Worth getting it for being able to play the 2097 tracks with the 3/SE handling. Bliss.

Right now I'm going through SE on my Vita, which looks fucking incredible in widescreen on an OLED ;)

Maddrical

Started playing this last night, man I forgot how much I missed Wipeout. I played HD quite a lot but had stopped when Fury came out, so really looking forward to getting into that campaign. Graphics are amazing as expected and it plays just as well as I remember. Is it just me or is the 2048 campaign a lot harder than HD? I dominate the early races of HD on novice but I'm struggling to even get a pass in the early 2048 races. Is it the lack of a difficulty option in 2048? At least, I haven't seen one. Should probably check..

Dash_

I think the handling in SE is *slightly* improved (only what I think I've read, can't verify it for sure) but yeah, the campaign is basically non-existent.

Not that it matters though, there's such a zen flow when cruising around some of the tracks which I have never really felt in any of the other games.

Worth getting it for being able to play the 2097 tracks with the 3/SE handling. Bliss.

Right now I'm going through SE on my Vita, which looks fucking incredible in widescreen on an OLED ;)

Yep. Mega Mall is amazing on Phantom. How you playing it on Vita? Emulation?

It is impossible to prefer Spotify integration. Why? Spotify only has 10 out of 19 Wipeout Fusion tracks available, and only 4 out of 12 Wipeout 3 tracks :(

I've been listening to a few Wipeout inspired playlists. That and this mix of all the game's major tracks:

https://m.mixcloud.com/DjKyd/the-ul...ix-3h-30m-includes-every-songs-in-the-series/

Well, up until I discovered Simon Mobile Disco for the first time on Spotify an hour ago.

They. Are. Amazing.

Attack Decay Sustain Release fits Omega so well. This kind of music should have been in the game.

I dominate the early races of HD on novice but I'm struggling to even get a pass in the early 2048 races. Is it the lack of a difficulty option in 2048? At least, I haven't seen one. Should probably check..

2048 difficulty is definitely more akin to HD's Elite, really. A bit harder, even.

Shaneus

Yep. Mega Mall is amazing on Phantom. How you playing it on Vita? Emulation?
Yup. An exploit came out a year or so (maybe more?) and about 6 months after that, full PSP emulation came out. Of course, in PSP emulation you can play PS1 games :)

I've been listening to a few Wipeout inspired playlists.
Gotta give a quick plug to mine if you haven't sussed it out already:
https://open.spotify.com/user/1232590255/playlist/33H4597ZAQuGApOvZ8ICcT

Dash_

^ That's one of the one's I've been listening to. : )

I'm tempted to mod my Vita. Sony's legacy support across all platforms leaves a lot to be desired.

SheHateMe

Anyone in the US purchased the game from GAME UK and got it yet?

I know, it's only been a week, but I'm anxious as they have zero tracking on the package and I want to play NOW. LOL

Yup. An exploit came out a year or so (maybe more?) and about 6 months after that, full PSP emulation came out. Of course, in PSP emulation you can play PS1 games :)

I've never really played WO3:SE at all, can you point me in the right direction to modding my Vita to get it to work?

Just a heads up for anyone looking to get any XP and do nothing to obtain it.

Leave it on overnight and you have yourself easy XP (Screw that grind to rank 50 without a lack of online campaign XP).

The location of the speed bumps is in this video. The exploit still works in Omega.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lKe6j8ubcDA

Haha, thanks for this. Just finished the campaign at rank 47 and couldn't find a match, so I'm doing this while I make lunch :p

Edit: Huh, just did this for 20 minutes getting 20k points but they didn't add to my rank at all. Still on /low 47. Failed the time trial obviously, is that why the points weren't added? Hmm...

Shin-Ra

Haha, thanks for this. Just finished the campaign at rank 47 and couldn't find a match, so I'm doing this while I make lunch :p

Edit: Huh, just did this for 20 minutes getting 20k points but they didn't add to my rank at all. Still on /low 47. Failed the time trial obviously, is that why the points weren't added? Hmm...
I think you have to return to the menu from an event for medals and points to be kept.

Dash_

Re: that exploit. It was working for me, so I don't know what's happening your end.

I think I might have a trophy glitch. I've just elite passed all single races and tournaments in HD/Fury, but it hasn't unlocked. : (

Does Zone Battle count to the trophy unlock? I still need to elite pass those.

Don't tell me it has to be every cell of every part of the campaign.

Edit: Seems I did this trophy for PS3 HD. I don't remember doing it. I'm getting old. : /

missile

I'm getting absolutely munched on Sebenco Climb on elite, thought my driving was ok but I've just hit a complete wall since I've got to the 4th set of races. I'm loathe to admit defeat and turn down the difficultly though.
SC is easily beatable if you BR a couple of times and boost at the right
places. If you boost while running into the tunnel you will skip ahead
considerably.

Dash_

Oh, yeah, I did. Didn't just quit the event lol.

It definitely still works. I went from level 38 to 40 leaving it on for three hours, ten minutes by itself. Accumulated 70,000 XP.

Shouldn't have to do this though. Unlocking the last Piranha ship and getting to rank 50 shouldn't be anywhere near this grindy. Even if you Elite pass everything in the campaign you end up a couple of 200K short for rank 50.

That's roughly nine hours of leaving this exploit to do its thing, or zoning Sol and (7,000 XP per zone race at 100 laps over 15+ minutes at a time).

This needs to be re-balanced in an update.

JamboGT

Re: that exploit. It was working for me, so I don't know what's happening your end.

I think I might have a trophy glitch. I've just elite passed all single races and tournaments in HD/Fury, but it hasn't unlocked. : (

Does Zone Battle count to the trophy unlock? I still need to elite pass those.

Don't tell me it has to be every cell of every part of the campaign.

Edit: Seems I did this trophy for PS3 HD. I don't remember doing it. I'm getting old. : /

It has to be every cell of the campaign.

Dash_

You're better than me! Well, I've committed myself to it now so I'm in for the long haul in getting a Platinum (currently at 50%).

What at first seems impossible eventually becomes crackable the more you practice and get better though. It's part of what makes the series so addictive and rewarding.

I don't know whether to call this the Dark Soul's of racing games considering Wipeout came first. : P

JamboGT

Honestly, if you can do the best Zico trophies the rest are pretty easy in comparison. The detonator and Zone Battle are easier than the races on elite I think as well. You will be grand.

My god.

It took me a week just to Pass the first Altima race. Unlocked Sol and completely biffed it with AG Agility, easily the hardest track ever designed, right?

First Place first try with Feisar Speed. I nearly watched a full lap of post-race I was so stunned.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
My god.

It took me a week just to Pass the first Altima race. Unlocked Sol and completely biffed it with AG Agility, easily the hardest track ever designed, right?

Naw. In fact its one of the easier tracks which is why zone mode elite pass asks you to get to zone 75, the highest of any track because there are barely and walls/barriers to worry about. But it is different than what comes before so it takes an adjusting period is all. You'll definitely get it down pat. Maybe try a Speed ship.

edit: oh nevermind you did it lol

Zone Battle and Detonator are going to be tricky on Elite.

Yea I'm a noob at zone battle. Took many tries on the first cell of it last night. Seems like you can win consistently if you wait to zone boost when you're full or near full. If you zone boost when you're only half or close to empty the AI will be way higher level. Detonator on the other hand seems pretty fair. Surviving the last couple stages seems more of an issue than actually getting the points for elite gold.

Wiped89

Interesting note about the sales figures.

If you go on the Lap Time Records for the first race of Wipeout HD on the lowest speed (Vineta K, Venom), there are 47,000 records posted in total (it says so in the corner when switching to Global Records). That's the highest number on any track and mode in the game, including 2048 ones. Therefore, the minimum sales of this title are 47,000 to date. Although there are probably a few more who bought it and haven't played it yet, or who some who have only played 2048 or HD or Fury and not all three, or gone straight online without touching the campaign. Still, interesting (and a little low for my liking).

To the above poster: So do I. I like watching the ship swoosh around while the music plays and I can take a breather and check my phone before the next one.

I just got the Zone 65 trophy (woop!) with only four hours of game time on the clock, about two of which were spend in Zone mode chasing that trophy! It took me about six months of constant trying back on the PS3 to get the Zone 75 Zone Zeus one. Here, I got the gold at Zone 71 on Anulpha Pass. Yaaay!

I'm going for Platinum on this game. For sure. It's so damn good.

Top Bottom