• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

Went to purchase yesterday and already had 10 bucks in my wallet from I don't know when, so that was nice.

As a fan since WipEout 1, I can say that I absolutely love this release so far. Played a bunch of races in single player and online with various combinations of games/modes. So much fucking FUN. The sense of speed is still there and it looks amazing. Online games were great - stable and many times with a full lineup.

Can't wait to get some more time in tonight. This makes me want a brand new, next-gen WipEout even more now.

Greenymac

God, I know you're supposed to use the d-pad for effective barrel-rolling but I've never been able to pull it off as successfully as with the stick. But I can't imagine doing it in some of the spots Feisar2097 does them in that video. Epic.

SIDE-SHIFT TO GET ENOUGH AIR TO BARREL ROLL

I said goddamn.

This is kind of a known thing already. Just one of those things you learn along the way. At Flash speed in HD you can side shift across certain areas to fling your ship for air to barrel roll. Even easier at a higher speed.

Edit just saw another familiar name in that top 10. Rezatron is back.

Dash_

Just the last tournament on Meltdown to do on Elite to complete HD's campaign. A quick question. To get the Elite Campaign Legend trophy, do you need to Elite pass Fury's races and tournaments as well? I seem to remember that trophy being HD only on the PS3.

Koopatrol

His Beat Zico 2048 video is incredible

I'm gonna be stuck on 32:55 forever though :(

Yeah, his racing line is perfect in that video. Beating the par time by nearly 2 seconds... amazing.

And don't worry, you'll get it. The hardest part is the 2nd barrel roll off the slope into the shortcut, in my opinion. I've been busy with school and stuff, but when I last played and tried to get a PB on that track, I would always mess up at that part. If I was able to do a barrel roll, I would often crash into the side of the shortcut or miss the shortcut entirely, lol.

Just the last tournament on Meltdown to do on Elite to complete HD's campaign. A quick question. To get the Elite Campaign Legend trophy, do you need to Elite pass Fury's races and tournaments as well? I seem to remember that trophy being HD only on the PS3.

I got Elite on the main campaign for HD a few days ago, no trophy. I think you have to do all of Fury on Elite too.

amanset

Mine FINALLY arrived today. Shopto with the sleeve but not codes for the wallpapers. Did anyone ever ask Shopto about that?

Anyway, I am massively out of practice. I dabbled with Wipeout HD but really I haven't played properly since Wipeout3 SE, so I have pretty much forgotten how to drive (I was never that good anyway). Am I right in saying I pretty much don't want to be steering at all, try and do everything with air brakes?

Also, which is the easiest to get you up to speed? I started with 2048 but couldn't gold half the challenges, whereas with HD I golded all the first lot first time and half the next group. Is HD supposed to be easier or is it just easing me in a bit more?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Anyway, I am massively out of practice. I dabbled with Wipeout HD but really I haven't played properly since Wipeout3 SE, so I have pretty much forgotten how to drive (I was never that good anyway). Am I right in saying I pretty much don't want to be steering at all, try and do everything with air brakes?

You wanna use steering primarily and hit airbrakes while still steering for sharp turns.

Also, which is the easiest to get you up to speed? I started with 2048 but couldn't gold half the challenges, whereas with HD I golded all the first lot first time and half the next group. Is HD supposed to be easier or is it just easing me in a bit more?

HD is recommended to get into first. It eases you in better. But keep in mind HD puts you on Novice difficulty by default. You can change to Skilled/Elite when its too easy for you.

WipEout is like that old pair of beaten up slippers that hug your feet and are soft, cozy, comfortable and feel like home. You don't know how much you miss them until you put 'em on your feet.

Dash_

Koopatrol said:
I got Elite on the main campaign for HD a few days ago, no trophy. I think you have to do all of Fury on Elite too.

Shit. Tech De Ra Reverse is going to be a pain in the ass on Elite Phantom. ><

Time to get better.

amanset

You wanna use steering primarily and hit airbrakes while still steering for sharp turns.

Thanks. I was doing it a bit wrong then ...

HD is recommended to get into first. It eases you in better. But keep in mind HD puts you on Novice difficulty by default. You can change to Skilled/Elite when its too easy for you.

Apart from the challenge is there any advantage to doing the higher difficulties? Unlocks? And does the difficulty just mean the opponents are better or does it go faster?

ETA:
I realise I could try this but it is midnight here and I don't liek gaming too late as it affects my sleep.

I really hope the devs patch in custom soundtrack support like what was on PS3. Using media player or Spotify just isn't the same. And when you're not a dub/club/dance music fan, the soundtrack gets pretty tedious very quickly.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Apart from the challenge is there any advantage to doing the higher difficulties? Unlocks? And does the difficulty just mean the opponents are better or does it go faster?

Setting the difficulty higher in HD and Fury is only for one of two reasons
1: the game becomes too easy for you so you spice it up
2: its required to play on Elite difficulty if you want all the trophies

It does not affect unlocks. The difficulty affects the game differently depending on the mode. For example in time trial the time required is shorter on higher difficulty. Opponents in races become more aggressive and better.

Speed in this game is independent from difficulty (besides the obvious correlation of needing more skill to play on the fastest speeds). In the campaign you STILL have to play the highest speeds eventually even on Novice difficulty. BUT your opponents will still be set to Novice.

Dash_

Unfortunately not.

I'm a weird player. Simultaneously crap and good at the game. Getting my arse handed to me on Elite Venom and then getting to zone 99 on Sol. Love getting in the zone.

Megalo

I don't see a lot of talks about it (maybe I didn't look enough) but the sounds have been upgraded in a big way !
The sound design was already good before but they've done an awesome job, it's now incredible ! The ships, the weapons... a treat for your ears.

I finally got bored of the in-game soundtrack today and loaded up a Chemical Brothers record on Spotify. I may pull up that Wipeout Classic playlist that Sony put up recently, though I wish it had the Firestarter instrumental.

I don't see a lot of talks about it (maybe I didn't look enough) but the sounds have been upgraded in a big way !
The sound design was already good before but they've done an awesome job, it's now incredible ! The ships, the weapons... a treat for your ears.

Absolutely, it sounds phenomenal! I love how all the teams have their own AI voices now, and the way you can hear weapons all around you. Would be a shame if there isn't a track pack or something released as DLC, because this game would be an amazing foundation.

Deimo5

Well fuck, Eliminator and Zone Battle are going to be a major pain in the ass.

Elite eliminator is still easy in Fury, zone battle is tough.

No.

You get better loyalty point multipliers at higher difficulty which helps unlock liveries faster but thats about it.
--
2048 zone seems quite a bit harder than HD Fury to me. The way they do the colours makes it hard to see in front of you a lot of the time and you don't get auto-maxed ships so your shields can get wrecked quickly at high speeds. The only ships with decent shields don't handle well enough for zone.

Griss

Unfortunately not.

I'm a weird player. Simultaneously crap and good at the game. Getting my arse handed to me on Elite Venom and then getting to zone 99 on Sol. Love getting in the zone.

Damn, I am the opposite to you. I blitzed the Phantom trophy with 8 races, but I can't get past zone 55 in any zone event. I'm just much better at racing other craft (and using weapons) than I am at steering at high speed. Phantom class is fine for me, just about. Once I hit zen my ability goes to shit.

Well fuck, Eliminator and Zone Battle are going to be a major pain in the ass.

Those are like the two easiest event types in Fury. Eliminator events in particular are practically free golds. I won one earlier with 350 points to 2nd place's 70. With zone battle just restart if you don't hit the first 8 pads in a row. If you do you should be home free. It's zone events and the races on phantom that will test you.

Jinroh

2048 is harder than I remember, if I don't pay attention I quickly end up on the 8th position in the second lap, something that would never happen in the other two modes.

Spent the afternoon passing a couple of controllers around with friends playing Tournaments and Zone Battles. Everyone seemed to have a lot of fun! Shame there isn't a 4-player mode. Even if it halved the frame rate, I think that'd be a good addition.

88random

Those are like the two easiest event types in Fury. Eliminator events in particular are practically free golds. I won one earlier with 350 points to 2nd place's 70. With zone battle just restart if you don't hit the first 8 pads in a row. If you do you should be home free. It's zone events and the races on phantom that will test you.

Idk, I recently replayed the whole game on Vita and those were the most annoying ones. Zone and races are no problem.

Okay guys, I don't know what I'm doing I'm doing wrong. Photo mode seems bugged for me. I have Sharing set to Standard mode. That means that I need to tap the Share button to bring up the menu and then press Triangle to save a screenshot. Alternatively, I can just Hold the button to quickly take one.

Neither of these work. At all. I have only, by some miracle&#8203;, been able to take two screenshots without HUD, which I can only remember doing by following the same instructions.

I also tried Easy Screenshots, but it similarly does not seem to work with any combination of screenshot taking methods.

What is happening here? I know at least one other person can't get this to work, but the senior game producer doesn't seem to think there's any bug.

Someone help me!

One of the things I love more of this release is how good works the online, almost zero lag, the server browser, its very fast to get in a race.. its so good.

Curufinwe

One of the things I love more of this release is how good works the online, almost zero lag, the server browser, its very fast to get in a race.. its so good.

Yeah, it's nice. I already got the trophies for complete 10 races and win 10 races.

But the trophy for killing 50 ships in online eliminator/combat events will take a while without boosting. I've done a bunch of eliminators, and am still just at 16 online kills.

xrnzaaas

I tried my first special A+ event in the 2048 campaign, came in 3rd only because I got lucky with the turbo powerups near the end. Insane mode, way too hard for my skill even if I would practice a lot. ;) Honestly I prefer the zone challenges because of not having to deal with enemies, managed to hit Mach 1.5 in one of them and then crashed. :)

I tried my first special A+ event in the 2048 campaign, came in 3rd only because I got lucky with the turbo powerups near the end. Insane mode, way too hard for my skill even if I would practice a lot. ;) Honestly I prefer the zone challenges because of not having to deal with enemies, managed to hit Mach 1.5 in one of them and then crashed. :)

Nice! If you give the A+ race a few goes you might break through the other side.

Anyone else having photo mode issues? :(

Top Bottom