• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WipEout Omega Collection |OT| Out of CoLD SToRAGE

I came home after leaving my son alone for 20 minutes and found him playing Wipeout for the first time. I didn't think he was interested, but he got into it!

Shin-Ra

Meltdown Sebenco Climb single race, zen like concentration needed 😵 but finally got it done after two hours.

Dash_

Don't need any footage (it'd be too early), but a commitment to some DLC at an unannounced point in time would be amazing tomorrow.

Looking at the leaderboards doesn't give me much hope though. There aren't many people on there.

Yeah this is the gf's first WipEout too and she's always asking if we can play together. She's getting pretty good too! Reluctant to learn air-brakes though haha.

Yep, same here. Having difficulty wrapping her head around it.

I play a lot of games, and she rarely asks to play them, so it kind of surprised me she's jumped on this... no complaints here!

Shin-Ra

Phantom Elite AI really has it in for me on Chenghou, I think I've died more here than everywhere else combined.

Absolutely loving 2048 on a big screen!
vaAT3ok.gif

SephLuis

Is there any way to adjust the colors on zone mode for 2048 ?

Holy hell, it's difficult seeing the course with some of these colors, especially the golden/white ones. I'm on 2050, event 2-2 and getting to zone 60 on rockway stadium more difficult than it should be.

Which ships do you recommend for zone mode in 2048 ? So far, I have been using normal Qirex.

Griss

Got bored of the normal soundtrack (which isn't up to the original HD Fury standards, sadly) and started playing the Gaf-created one. It's great, guys, thanks. Just a shame it doesn't play a new song at the start of a new race automatically.

Also, I'll never get the Zone trophies. My skills deteriorate so quickly in that mode it's crazy. At zone 40 I can still be pulling perfect laps, by zone 50 I'm a twichy wall-crashing mess. I can go from full health to dead in a lap or two. Also is it just me or is there a bug in zone mode? The announcer says "zone 45 cleared" for zone 35 and zone 45. Always makes me think I'm further along than I am.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Phantom Elite AI really has it in for me on Chenghou, I think I've died more here than everywhere else combined.

Yep. You are pretty much required to absorb items for that one. Also you prolly figured this out but remember to pitch your ship down for certain sections of the track, otherwise you're in for a bumpy ride.

Holy hell, it's difficult seeing the course with some of these colors, especially the golden/white ones. I'm on 2050, event 2-2 and getting to zone 60 on rockway stadium more difficult than it should be.

Which ships do you recommend for zone mode in 2048 ? So far, I have been using normal Qirex.

I Elite Passed all the zone events in 2048 using Quirex Agility. No way to adjust colors unfortunately. Some of them are indeed bad design choices but you just have to deal with it :p

SephLuis

Got bored of the normal soundtrack (which isn't up to the original HD Fury standards, sadly) and started playing the Gaf-created one. It's great, guys, thanks. Just a shame it doesn't play a new song at the start of a new race automatically.

Also, I'll never get the Zone trophies. My skills deteriorate so quickly in that mode it's crazy. At zone 40 I can still be pulling perfect laps, by zone 50 I'm a twichy wall-crashing mess. I can go from full health to dead in a lap or two. Also is it just me or is there a bug in zone mode? The announcer says "zone 45 cleared" for zone 35 and zone 45. Always makes me think I'm further along than I am.

Go to Wipeout HD and try Anulpha Pass. Easier course to do the zone trophy, which in HD was zone 75 instead of zone 65.

SephLuis

I Elite Passed all the zone events in 2048 using Quirex Agility. No way to adjust colors unfortunately. Some of them are indeed bad design choices but you just have to deal with it :p

Got the Elite Pass for the event, but the changes in color are much worse than HD.
Sometimes it makes the course impossible to see.

TP-DK

You run over the speed pads to build up your charge meter on the weapon button. Each time you fire it, you move up zones with the charge you have and it gets faster while your score increases.

Basically what Dash_ said, but keep in mind that when someone boosts they leave behind a barrier. Hit that and you take damage. If your ship is destroyed, you're set back 5 zones. Moreover, each successive speed pad you hit will add more zones to your charge meter than the previous one. This makes it a choice between waiting to boost, to get the most out of each speed pad, vs. boosting slightly earlier to both decrease the time you need between speed pads (because you go faster) and to release yourself from the pack, which can be very dangerous when your opponents start dropping barriers when you're close to them.

Lastly, you can absorb your charge meter to gain a shield and regain ship energy. This can be useful when the track is littered with barriers, which you cannot dodge.

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday I just used the energy immediately and I never got close to winning with that, so I should propably wait to boost more.

Griss

Thanks for the replies. Yesterday I just used the energy immediately and I never got close to winning with that, so I should propably wait to boost more.

There's basically two winning strategies

1. Hit two boost pads and then boost in order to jump ahead of the pack. This works because the biggest danger in zone battle is getting hit by one of the barriers the others drop. At the back of the pack this is a huge danger.

From here you have a free run at all the boost pads, and should save up boost until you have 7 or 8 zones (8 is the max) and then use them.

2. Save up 7 or 8 zones worth of boost from the very start. This involves letting the others go ahead of you, and it can be really tricky jostling in the pack at the start. However if you DO manage to avoid all the barriers and hit all the boost pads you'll win this way.

Shin-Ra

Yep. You are pretty much required to absorb items for that one. Also you prolly figured this out but remember to pitch your ship down for certain sections of the track, otherwise you're in for a bumpy ride.
This is the first event that really requires pitching nose down, yeah.

All done with HD apart from the Meltdown Tournament now.

AG Systems Agility.

Deimo5

Elite zone battle is annoying because it feels like if you make one mistake you might as well restart. Sometimes it just bad luck when some ship right in front of you drops an unreactable barrier on your face. I guess you can work on keeping out of their way but it can be easier said that done. Finished them all now but they were consistently the most difficult event in the Fury campaign in most cases.
Detonator was not too bad except Corridon 12 before I figured out the right strategy. Dropping an EMP at the beginning of the lap so it runs down both sides of the split track makes it a lot easier.

Zushin

Christ this game is hard haha. Finished the 2048 seasons and now just going back to do the branching races. Lord help me Q_Q. Don't think I'll ever be elite passing all these races.

Dash_

No.1 in the charts? Awesome. Maybe there's hope for new content or a new game yet.

I say give it to the team/s that did the remaster. They've proved themselves.

Carn82

Sick news - very happy!

HD re-release of the first three PS1 games justified?

I don't think we'll see those. I do think we might see additional "campaigns" for Omega Collection, hopefully with older tracks. Makes more sense to add those to the package (and tweak the gameplay model a bit to make them fit better) than to 'remaster' the old games. Omega Collection is still the Vita 2048 game + DLC in its core, I can't see how they would retro-actively add psx/ps2 games into it without having to do a lot of effort.

Make a WipEout Alpha Collection Deluxe with WipEout 1, 2097, and WO3SE remastered, bundled with a wireless new NeGcon.

I WOULD DIE!

NegCon or not, this collection would be a day one preorder for me. XL/2097 is still my favorite, and having it at a modern resolution would be incredible.

JamboGT

Once you have completed all the events in 2048 what is the most efficient way to earn XP, need to get the level 50 trophy...

88random

It would make sense if they added some stuff from Pure and Pulse, those games and HD heave the most in common. I mean, almost all tracks in HD are from those games, they could just remaster the rest.

JamboGT

To be fair rebuild a track from the PSP games is more a remake than a remaster. Don't think the word "just" does it justice :p

JamboGT

Well yeah, but still, those are the most obvious choice.

Yeah definitely they do fit the ships capabilities etc the best.

Personally I would like some new tracks as 2048 wouldn't suit older ones so much. I would love some from the originally trilogy though.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I don't think we'll see those. I do think we might see additional "campaigns" for Omega Collection, hopefully with older tracks. Makes more sense to add those to the package (and tweak the gameplay model a bit to make them fit better) than to 'remaster' the old games. Omega Collection is still the Vita 2048 game + DLC in its core, I can't see how they would retro-actively add psx/ps2 games into it without having to do a lot of effort.
Best I'm hoping for is the rest of the Pure and Pulse tracks and ships get brought over. Going any earlier than those pretty much means remaking the content from scratch.

Carn82

Best I'm hoping for is the rest of the Pure and Pulse tracks and ships get brought over. Going any earlier than those pretty much means remaking the content from scratch.

Yeah, sounds sensible. Altough I wouldnt mind some 'new' stuff! But I`ll take every bit of 'more Wipeout' they can muster, hehe.

Wiped89

Just got home from a music festival and opened this up. AMAZING! My favourite series is back.

Wipeout 2048 is still hard as nails for me mind!

Dash_

So what's the consensus as to where this fits in the series now? I think it:s probably my favourite.

The Racebox options, the depth of the single-player, the amount and collection of tracks and 60fps make it so much more involving than 2097/3/Pure.

(I worked out that there are 72 tracks in Omega if you factor in forwards, reverse, zone forwards, zone reverse, zone tracks from Pure).

Dash_

I can't wait for the Cold Storage tracks to appear on Spotify, then my soundtrack will be almost complete...

When are they due to reappear? I'm still hoping for a new track by him. For those who don't scroll down his bandkamp page or didn't know, he did a lovely remix of Canada for 2048, in the same vein that FSOL/Orbital did.

dracula_x

When are they due to reappear? I'm still hoping for a new track by him. For those who don't scroll down his bandkamp page or didn't know, he did a lovely remix of Canada for 2048, in the same vein that FSOL/Orbital did.

I guess on Friday

edit: on Thursday actually :) → https://twitter.com/CoLDSToRAGE/status/872728762986749952

My 64bit remastered WipEout music will be on iTunes, Spotify, Google and other digital outlets as of June 15th. "SlipStream Vol 1 & 2". :eek:)

Lettuce

??

it does - just use Spotify or the PS4 Media Player.

Thats not really the same though is it, that method the music just constantly plays. Its not dynamic like it is in say forza horzion 3 where the music will actually stop and change when you finish a race or restart a race or go to the menus etc!

Dash_

I guess on Friday

edit: on Thursday actually :) → https://twitter.com/CoLDSToRAGE/status/872728762986749952

Great. : )

Thats not really the same though is it, that method the music just constantly plays. Its not dynamic like it is in say forza horzion 3 where the music will actually stop and change when you finish a race or restart a race or go to the menus etc!

Apart from the effects which alter the music on the tracks, I actually prefer Spotify playing tracks over the menus. Whenever you restart in Omega with the default music, it loses the place in the previous track and switches to another one. Kind of frustrating when you want to avoid some of the cheesier tracks.

I prefer HD/Fury to 2048, but even if you literally never played 2048 once, this game is still absolutely worth every penny of the buy.

Agreed with this statement.

I like em both. I've already played a ton of Fury/HD on PS3, so that's more like a replay (and trying to further my bests, plus my son playing it) but I like 2048 a lot too. It's different, but it's also initially much harder and that's a plus.

2048 has a more "solid" feel to me which reminds me of the first 3 PSX games.

Eye candy abounds in both games.

Top Bottom