• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wkd Box Office Est. 05•11-13 •12 - Depp/Burton bask in shadow of Whedon's Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Who will be saltier?

TDKR fans or Titanic fans?

Don't think either.
However, TDKR fans who secretly or openly declared that Avengers wouldn't be nearly as successful as the dark knight, let alone the dark knight rises; and who also don't realise, or wont admit that TDK had a certain young actor's death to thank for the perfect hype it received right before its release, will be salty as fuck.

Depends what you would consider a bomb, but I think it will do around 160-180 mil domestically. Its the spiritual sequel to Independance Day.

Not really.

I see it as 'Transformers: Zero'. If fact, you could market it as the preliminary strike on Earth before the AutoBots and Decepticons arrived, change NOTHING about the dialogue or script and it would work 100% out of the box.

It comes off that generic in the ads.

D.Lo

Titanic is at close to 2.2B now after the re-release. Avengers has 0 chance at beating it worldwide.
Re-releases, espescially edited re-releases (Star Wars SE or 3D versions of older 2D films) should be counted as seperate entities.

I mean, they spent another $20 mil plus at least the same again marketing on Titanic 3D. That's a whole other medium sized movie's budget.

HeySeuss

Outside of the Hasbro Transformers tagline, I'm not sure how you guys get a Transformers vibe out if it. I mean, there's a giant space ship(ID4), cities being destroyed(both), impenatrable force field we can't shoot through(ID4), and actual aliens(ID4). I mean I guess I can sort of see why you would say that, but it lines up much closer to ID4 and anectdotally, I've heard multiple people say the same thing.

Outside of the Hasbro Transformers tagline, I'm not sure how you guys get a Transformers vibe out if it. I mean, there's a giant space ship(ID4), cities being destroyed(both), impenatrable force field we can't shoot through(ID4), and actual aliens(ID4). I mean I guess I can sort of see why you would say that, but it lines up much closer to ID4 and anectdotally, I've heard multiple people say the same thing.
The way it's shot is very Bay-esque, and therefore Transformers-esque.

Jacob

Avengers would have to make more than 2.1 billion to surpass Titanic.

Not. Happening.

1tFky.jpg

To be serious though, yeah, it's not gonna happen.

The rolling metal destructo balls of teh doomage

The Transformer looking ships rising out the water.

The Transformer looking alien suits

The Transformer SFX

The pro military angle of the Transformers flicks

Mindless "awe-inspiring' destruction found in all the Transformer flicks

Cheesy one liners.

Tobor

I don't see the difference. Transformers and ID4 are both garbage, so Battleship is in good company either way.

kswiston

What do people think the biggest bomb of the summer will be? Every year we get one or two $100-200M movie flat out tank. Battleship seems to be an early favorite domestically, but it will still break $300M worldwide, so overall it won't be a spectacular miss.

HeySeuss

I don't see the difference. Transformers and ID4 are both garbage, so Battleship is in good company either way.

My nostalgia glasses don't allow me to completely agree with this statement. ID4 isn't garbage. But I agree with your overall point. But my kids want to see Battleship so I will take them.

artist

Banned
Why would Titanic fans be salty when Avengers won't reach it?
They're already salty a few pages back, just because Avengers stomped all over Avatar's 2nd weekend record.

Its comic book movie vs comic book movie and DH2 didnt launch in the same year.
I dont know .. Avatar vs Avengers is not the same genre but the Avatards are salty. But you could be right, we probaby havent yet seen the fallout from Bat-GAF so far and there could be an ugly one, depending on the ending of TDKR and or if it underperforms at the BO.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Sony/ Screen Gems is really killing it this year. 4 or 5 very profitable films right?

Screen Gems is really doing good with the black demo. They pump out like 2 movies especially catered to that audience every year.

Don't think either.
However, TDKR fans who secretly or openly declared that Avengers wouldn't be nearly as successful as the dark knight, let alone the dark knight rises; and who also don't realise, or wont admit that TDK had a certain young actor's death to thank for the perfect hype it received right before its release, will be salty as fuck.

So it made its domestic and OS totals off the hype of Ledger's death? Don't be silly.

Let's say that were the case, how does that account for repeat business? If people were only interested because of his death (which happened 6 months before release, so hardly used as hype tool), it wouldn't have done nearly as much repeat business.

It's a silly argument and that doesn't really hold up to any scrutiny. Why didn't the Crow do better at the BO? After all, the lead died on set and it was talked about extensively in the news, etc.

• Broke the 1B mark in 19 days, fastest film to do it if accounted for the staggered release.
  • Obliterated the 2nd weekend record by a whopping 36%. Previous record holder (Avatar) had owned that record by a puny 0.05% meaning topping Avenger's record now is a gargantuan feat.
  • Avengers has 25 all-time records in just over 2 weeks beating Avatar's 10.

2fhu7i.png

Heh, what happened to Avvy? why is it nearly a thousand theaters down in comparison to TA?

Competition at the time?

Clearly false.

History remembers who wins the championship, not the games they win along the way.

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th week records getting broken means shit if at the end you don't win.

Imagine it like running a marathon and you break all the records in the first legs of the race but you fail to achieve the world record time in the end.

artist

Banned
Good point, so the pointless comparisons train/trolling train rolls on.

Man, these threads turn out worse than NPD ever did. Mainly due to the amount of baiting/trolling from artist.
Please, I'm basking in the success of Avengers and welcoming Whedon to the big leagues, just because both of those go against your like doesn't mean you have to resort to name calling.

And I also posted a stat just for you upstream, look it up.

Please, I'm basking in the success of Avengers and welcoming Whedon to the big leagues, just because both of those go against your like doesn't mean you have to resort to name calling.

And I also posted a stat just for you upstream, look it up.

There's basking/rubbing its success in people's faces and there's what you're doing.

artist

Banned
History remembers who wins the championship, not the games they win along the way.

2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th week records getting broken means shit if at the end you don't win.

Imagine it like running a marathon and you break all the records in the first legs of the race but you fail to achieve the world record time in the end.
Convenient that you left out the 1st weekend record ;)

Anyway I was suggesting that only one record doesn't matter based on how this thread has gone so far .. :D I agree with your post though.

JJD

So it made its domestic and OS totals off the hype of Ledger's death? Don't be silly.

Let's say that were the case, how does that account for repeat business? If people were only interested because of his death (which happened 6 months before release, so hardly used as hype tool), it wouldn't have done nearly as much repeat business.

It's a silly argument and that doesn't really hold up to any scrutiny. Why didn't the Crow do better at the BO? After all, the lead died on set and it was talked about extensively in the news, etc.

Huh? Ledger's death had a huge effect on TDK. The film was great, and it deserved all the money it made, but I don't believe it would have made that much if he still was alive. He wouldn't have won that Oscar too (which I think he rightly deserved).

My sister has never seen a super hero movie at the cinema and she asked me back in the day to take her to see TDK because of Ledger's death. She still haven't seen Begins, and I doubt she will see Rises. I asked if she wanted to see the Avengers last week and she didn't even knew what I was talking about! Couldn't even convince my GF of going with me, I had to watch the movie alone! Lol!

The Avengers is a good movie, I'm happy it's doing great, and I have high hopes for the next one, but I'm not in love with it as most people are. The pre release hype was so huge on this one that I was expecting a lot more.

And I say this as as someone who buys comic books every single week of the year, and is first and foremost a Marvel zombie. Maybe I'm getting too old :-( , I'm not even enjoying the Avengers vs. X-men comic! Lol!

For me the holy trinity of super hero movies is still Spidey 2, X-2 and Iron Man 1. And as a movie I guess I believe TDK is better than Avengers (don't know for sure yet, gotta see the Avengers more times).

WrikaWrek

Banned
Over a billion in 10 days. Now I know these movies are front loaded but holy shit come on, it's bananas!

10 days!! This thing might get near Titanic before 3D tax.

Gambit

a bit off-topic, but box-office related nonetheless:

I know it's important to producers how much money a film makes, but shouldn't "success" be measured by attendance rather than money?

It is simply more objective, as it does away with "3d-tax", "IMAX-tax", and especially inflation. Immediately makes films comparable no matter when they came out.

Any thoughts?

Log4Girlz

a bit off-topic, but box-office related nonetheless:

I know it's important to producers how much money a film makes, but shouldn't "success" be measured by attendance rather than money?

It is simply more objective, as it does away with "3d-tax", "IMAX-tax", and especially inflation. Immediately makes films comparable no matter when they came out.

Any thoughts?

Theatres do not report attendance, only grosses.

Gambit

Theatres do not report attendance, only grosses.

Interesting. Didn't know that.

They must report attendance in some countries like Germany, as the weekly top ten are based on attendance rather than money. (That's why "American Pie Reunion" was number 1, even though "Avengers" made more money)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom