• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE All Stars |OT| No Yukes allowed

Criminal Upper said:
I really liked the demo. It does play alot more like a fighting game than a wrestler, but the gameplay is still comparable to AKI titles with the way striking/grappling/reversals workd. It's definately the closest we can get for now, that's for sure.

But it still plays a hell of a lot faster than AKI titles, and feels way more arcadey, that's definately not a bad thing. But there's so much more emphasis to just knock your oppponent out, rather than pinning him in a critical situation.

So it feels like AKI games, but it's still it's own thing.

I still need to play against another human being, as fighting the CPU doesn't do much to give you an idea of how fun it will be.

Still have doubts, but my download finishes in a couple of mins :D

(is it worth making a new thread for the demo?)

I kind of like it.

BUT

How on earth do you reverse moves? I'm pressing RB when it tells me too, yet I'm not getting any joy.

MarshMellow96 said:
(is it worth making a new thread for the demo?)

I kind of like it.

BUT

How on earth do you reverse moves? I'm pressing RB when it tells me too, yet I'm not getting any joy.
Make sure not to press the button before the prompt, you get one chance so don'e spam RB.

RBH

NameGenerated said:
Tried it and have no idea how to play. So..../shrug. Hard to figure out when the CPU is kicking my ass.
vTD2e.png

LB + RB activates your finishing mode.

X + A and Y+B allow you to do signature moves.

That's what I've gathered from some previews, so I'm not 100% certain if these controls apply in the demo/final game as well.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Yeah, I read all that. It doesn't really teach you any of the juggle combos or even how to do moves, do you hit a direction on the right stick and that does it or does that just alter your position? Maybe I'm expecting too much from the demo.

Captain N

I didn't like 2 things about the demo.

Ultimate Warrior only has 1 Signature move. Rey has two of them. I hope this changes in the final version.

Rey doesn't go right into the pin with his finisher. lame. as. fuck.

Captain N said:
I didn't like 2 things about the demo.

Ultimate Warrior only has 1 Signature move. Rey has two of them. I hope this changes in the final version.

Rey doesn't go right into the pin with his finisher. lame. as. fuck.

I don't remember Warrior having more than one signature move during his entire real-life career.

Just played two matches. To those who think it feels like an AKI game clearly don't remember how it played. The speed of the characters is actually reminiscent, but the pacing is totally different and the whole grappling system is way off (I don't know why they opted for 2 different buttons for the grapples/strikes, I think it could've worked with AKI's system). This is an entire different game.

That said, I'm not entirely impressed by some of the mechanics. I'll play some more but for now...it's a pass. I'm just not feeling it.

The game plays OK but the knockout system is horrible it will mean you can't have really long matches.

Also I saw a vid somewhere where someone submits and then theres the cutscene of the pin still WTF

Jeff Albertson said:
The game plays OK but the knockout system is horrible it will mean you can't have really long matches.

Also I saw a vid somewhere where someone submits and then theres the cutscene of the pin still WTF

You can reverse finishers.

The Main Event said:
Just played two matches. To those who think it feels like an AKI game clearly don't remember how it played. The speed of the characters is actually reminiscent, but the pacing is totally different and the whole grappling system is way off (I don't know why they opted for 2 different buttons for the grapples/strikes, I think it could've worked with AKI's system). This is an entire different game.

That said, I'm not entirely impressed by some of the mechanics. I'll play some more but for now...it's a pass. I'm just not feeling it.

I'm pretty sure it's a TRC requirement that all facebuttons on a 360/PS3 pad have to be used in a default control scheme.

Havent played the demo yet, but I really hope you can turn off KO's.

Not just from a gameplay standpoint, but its crazy how much customization the AKI games had in terms of features and match options from a decade ago that no other game has come close to.

As someone who played against another human as opposed to the cpu I saw potential here for some great multiplayer. Though if other wrestlers don't feel very diverse and the attacking options become too limited it could swing the other way entirely.

It kicks the tar out of SDvsRaw2011 at least, following up the all stars demo with that was not the best of plans.

Love the fact that the reversal system rewards timing and can't be mashed through like in SDvsRaw.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Jeff Albertson said:
it will mean you can't have really long matches.

I'm pretty sure that's what they were going for in this game.

RBH

mujun said:
Would some kind person mind account sharing this? Change your password then back again after you've finished sharing.

I've got gold but in Japan (we miss out on most demos :( ).

Thanks in advance, been looking forward to this game for a while now.
Re-posting this for anyone who wants to help out.

JambiBum

I don't know why people were saying you can't win with a pin. I just did it. When you pin someone you just have to tap a button to keep them down.

JambiBum said:
I don't know why people were saying you can't win with a pin. I just did it. When you pin someone you just have to tap a button to keep them down.

That's good to hear. Is there any way to completely turn off KO's? Any access to the options menu in the demo?

MiniDitka

JambiBum said:
I've played 3 matches and all were won by pinfall. I'll have a few more vids uploaded in a bit.

MiniDitka said:
Rey Mysterio vs Ultimate Warrior - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kFvSzgYtYA

Still processing so quality will improve in a bit.

Looking good. Glad to see a pinfall. I remember the early Smackdown games (I think the first two) having knockouts on by default but they could be turned off. I hope that is the same with this game. I know it's supposed to be "arcadey" but how often do you see a KO in wrestling?

DrDogg

NameGenerated said:
Yeah, I read all that. It doesn't really teach you any of the juggle combos or even how to do moves, do you hit a direction on the right stick and that does it or does that just alter your position? Maybe I'm expecting too much from the demo.

There are a ton of combos for each character, but you have to figure them out yourself, wait for someone else to figure them out and post them online, or just buy the strategy guide.

Having written the strategy guide, I can tell you that I spent a ton of time on each wrestler to ensure I got all of their combos and the intricacies of each combo. None of that is listed in the game or in the manual. So the guide is actually a pretty good asset if you don't want to wait for someone else to post the info online.

MarshMellow96 said:
Yeah, the reversal system is totally random. It would be really fun if it worked.

Actually it's not random at all. It's deeper than the reversal system in SvR and most other wrestling games.

Cerebral Assassin said:
Gorilla Press, Flying Clothesline/Shoulder Tackle, Running Splash?

My statement was kinda rhetorical, just trying to drive home the fact that Warrior was a garbage wrestler.

Which I thought was a well-known fact.

This is a Cheap Arcade Wrestling game to bring in some Cash near Wrestlemania event.

People calling it a close to AKI style game are full of shit and probably never played any Wrestling games on N64.

Unregistered007 said:
This is a Cheap Arcade Wrestling game to bring in some Cash near Wrestlemania event.

People calling it a close to AKI style game are full of shit and probably never played any Wrestling games on N64.

Please, tell us how you really feel.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Unregistered007 said:

I'm not going to be able to play the game until this evening. What do you base these impressions on? Can anyone give us a detailed breakdown of the fighting system?

evil ways

Criminal Upper said:
My statement was kinda rhetorical, just trying to drive home the fact that Warrior was a garbage wrestler.

Which I thought was a well-known fact.
Funny enough, the most moves Warrior ever used were during matches with Rick Rude and Mr. Perfect. He would whip out a piledriver, suplex or random atomic drop.

DrDogg said:
Actually it's not random at all. It's deeper than the reversal system in SvR and most other wrestling games.

I'm pressing the reversal button when the signal to do so is coming up. I'm not reversing anything. I'm not pressing it too early or twice, once when 'RB' comes up (even when it's an LB reversal - very confusing) yet it doesn't work. How does it work then?

JambiBum

MarshMellow96 said:
I'm pressing the reversal button when the signal to do so is coming up. I'm not reversing anything. I'm not pressing it too early or twice, once when 'RB' comes up (even when it's an LB reversal - very confusing) yet it doesn't work. How does it work then?

I've never had a LB reversal. All reversals for me are RB. To reverse a strike you have to time it just right. There isn't a timing icon. For grapples each move has a different timing. Once you figure out the timing for each reversal it becomes a lot easier. For instance, I played more with UW than I did with Rey, so I was able to reverse Rey's moves a lot easier than UW's.

I only played 2 matches and I was rushing to work.

The graphics are good. I mean you have seen how it looks. It plays decent as well. They went back to the old 2 button reversal system. This is more fun at the Smackdown 2011 garbage. BTW I think Smackdown 2010 is the current best current gen Smackdown game.

I was not able to do any finisher/signature moved - as I said I was in a rush. How ever Rey M. did several on my and it takes out a chunk and then you get a warning that you might get knocked out on the next big move.

You can PIN but most likely you will get knocked out as the Health System goes down and you get a warning.

This game feels NOTHING like No Mercy. Don't be fooled just get the demo - Sorry I would love to play more and provide more impression but I am at work and had to rush out.

MarshMellow96 said:

Yes I noticed that it shows RB instead of LB for Grapple reversal. Probably a glitch in Demo. I wish they had better wrestlers for Demo.

JambiBum said:
I've never had a LB reversal. All reversals for me are RB. To reverse a strike you have to time it just right. There isn't a timing icon. For grapples each move has a different timing. Once you figure out the timing for each reversal it becomes a lot easier. For instance, I played more with UW than I did with Rey, so I was able to reverse Rey's moves a lot easier than UW's.

Look at the control scheme a few posts down - LB is grab counter. RB comes up, even when you're being subjected to a grab.

If the icon that shows up isn't a timing icon then why is it even there?

JambiBum

MarshMellow96 said:
Look at the control scheme a few posts down - LB is grab counter. RB comes up, even when you're being subjected to a grab.

If the icon that shows up isn't a timing icon then why is it even there?

In the control scheme during the loading menus it only says the bumpers are for finishing moves. I went into the demo remembering your post about the LB for grapple counters. I tried that a few times and it didn't work. Switched to the RB and I can counter Rey a lot of the time.

JambiBum said:
In the control scheme during the loading menus it only says the bumpers are for finishing moves. I went into the demo remembering your post about the LB for grapple counters. I tried that a few times and it didn't work. Switched to the RB and I can counter Rey a lot of the time.

Weird. I'll try it again later.

Top Bottom