• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE All Stars |OT| No Yukes allowed

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
noclevername620 said:
Reminded me a lot of Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game.
Someone else said the same thing awhile back when they were doing preview coverage. I don't see sprites flying out of people when they get hit but I can sort of see the connection.

This is fun! Better than the past few Smackdown games (I haven't really enjoyed one since 2007). I think - given the cheap price of this on a lot of sites - that I'll bite, and play it before watching the Rock and Stone Cold at Wrestlemania.

Nelo Ice

Banned
Mr Jared said:
I really enjoy the demo but man... Ultimate Warrior and Rey Mysterio? Blargh. Way to troll the smarks, THQ!

if only the demo was cena vs the rock

would love to layeth the smackdown fruity pebbles

btw are there any deals besides kmarts?

feel as though i should wait to pick this up since theres absolutely no deals afaik besides kmart and i guess gamestops preorder bonus

bjork

Getting to destroy the dreaded Rey Mysterio with (/v\) in his WM6 attire, winning by KO following a gorilla press, then he does pushups on Rey-rey's limp body? SOLD.

Only thing I wish so far is that the camera was back just a smidge, but other than that I'm liking this.

DrDogg

MarshMellow96 said:
I'm pressing the reversal button when the signal to do so is coming up. I'm not reversing anything. I'm not pressing it too early or twice, once when 'RB' comes up (even when it's an LB reversal - very confusing) yet it doesn't work. How does it work then?

By the time the RB button is displayed on the screen, the reversal window is over. You have to time it so that you're hitting the proper reversal right as the icon appears. It's very difficult to react to the icon. Just use the icon to learn the timing.

RBH said:
Demo strategy guide:

http://thqinc.cachefly.net/wwe/AllStars_Images/WWE_AllStars_Demo_StrategyGuide.pdf

This goes into great detail about the controls, reversals, chain combos, and move lists for each character.

I think this will be very helpful for a lot of people here.

You're welcome.

And there's a lot more to the reversal system than what's in the guide preview. There's a whole section in the guide on basic/advanced strats. It covers the differences between reversals and counters as well as a few other things about them that are really important.

This game is great. I wish Smackdown would go this route and dial back the realism.

The game will score in the high 8s and be the best wrestling game this gen.

Jube3

Loving the bounces and comboing that into a 2 hit + grab, so satisfying. This game is going to be a blast local multiplayer.

Nelo Ice

Banned
so is it just me or is wwe all stars a fighting game that happens to be wrestling themed?

if so i can see why caw doesnt allow u to make ur own moveset since a custom moveset could possibly make ur created wrestler broken or op

Messi

Man Rey is like a rabbit high on crack in this. Bouncing off the ropes and shit. Love it.

Combo punches into bouncing someone off the ropes and then they fly back into a suplex = awesome.

Nelo Ice said:
so is it just me or is wwe all stars a fighting game that happens to be wrestling themed?

if so i can see why caw doesnt allow u to make ur own moveset since a custom moveset could possibly make ur created wrestler broken or op

That's the impression I'm getting from what some people are saying.

Nelo Ice

Banned
DoctorWho said:
That's the impression I'm getting from what some people are saying.

speaking of which justin wong seems to like it

http://twitter.com/#!/JWonggg/status/50337650460209153
I want WWE All stars for EVO2K12 gogogo.

it would be so awesome if the fighting game community embraces all stars :D

also from the demo guide

Add to this mix over a dozen additional roster members available as downloadable content, and players have an
experience certain to have appeal with old and new WWE enthusiasts, inexperienced as well as hardcore fighting
game fans and fans of action games in general.

Nelo Ice said:

I wonder if we will see a tier list for this? HHH will be God Tier probably.

Well, played 4 matches, and I absolutely love it. Love it, love it, love it. Won my first, lost the second, won the third, all using Rey. Will have to give some love to Warrior next. Once things started clicking by the third go around, the AI and I were putting on a fucking match.

Already had this preordered through Amazon, cant wait. Crysis 2 will keep me company.

Any word on if youre going to have to unlock everyone or not? Sorry if Im being lazy and its somewhere in the thread, just curious.

Jube3

Messi said:
Man Rey is like a rabbit high on crack in this. Bouncing off the ropes and shit. Love it.

Combo punches into bouncing someone off the ropes and then they fly back into a suplex = awesome.

Yea that is my favorite Rey move, run off the ropes and hit Y to do the flying kick that slams off the turnbuckle, juggle with weak strikes then grab. So much fun, definitely picking this up.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Nelo Ice said:

also from the demo guide
I think JWong will support any fighting game he can beast in.

RBH

Nelo Ice said:
btw are there any deals besides kmarts?

feel as though i should wait to pick this up since theres absolutely no deals afaik besides kmart and i guess gamestops preorder bonus
Just checked Best Buy's ad for next week, and they're selling the game for MSRP and that's it. :/

Holding out for TRU or Target, but I don't have much faith.

DrDogg

Nelo Ice said:

also from the demo guide

Just to clarify, that was written by the guy from THQ, not me. While this is the deepest wrestling game I've seen, and easily the closest to a standard fighting game, I don't see it appealing to the Evo crowd.

Fighting game fans will probably like it more than most other wrestling games, but if you take the game to the highest level of play, it doesn't have anywhere near as many options as a fighting game like Tekken, SF, etc.

Not a bad thing at all, just not exactly what that forward implies.

JdFoX187

Banned
Played some earlier tonight. Refuse to play as Rey, so I spent several matches trying to beat the shit out of him. Just like in real life, he overcome the odds several times. But when I finally beat him, it was glorious. If Warrior of one of the least fun to play, as some have said, I'm really looking forward to the game. It was certainly a lot of fun, even though I don't know what I was doing half the time.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Man, this game is a ton of fun! Cannot wait for the full version!

Played some of it earlier today. It feels pretty good. One thing that irked me however was trying to get weapons from under the ring vs getting into the ring.

DrDogg said:
Just to clarify, that was written by the guy from THQ, not me. While this is the deepest wrestling game I've seen, and easily the closest to a standard fighting game, I don't see it appealing to the Evo crowd.

Fighting game fans will probably like it more than most other wrestling games, but if you take the game to the highest level of play, it doesn't have anywhere near as many options as a fighting game like Tekken, SF, etc.

Not a bad thing at all, just not exactly what that forward implies.

I haven't bought a guide since WWF Attitude. since THQ has basically announced all of the DLC, are they included in the guide as well? I'm assuming they are not, but since you're writing it I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

DrDogg

canadian crowe said:
I haven't bought a guide since WWF Attitude. since THQ has basically announced all of the DLC, are they included in the guide as well? I'm assuming they are not, but since you're writing it I thought I'd ask.

Thanks!

As of right now, no. I was told it's possible, but I haven't heard anything lately and the game releases very soon. So I'm sticking with no for the time being.

Lothars

canadian crowe said:
This game is great. I wish Smackdown would go this route and dial back the realism.

The game will score in the high 8s and be the best wrestling game this gen.

I don't know it's a fun wrestling game but I still really like this year smackdown vs raw, it's a great game with a great roster.

I will probably be picking this up at launch now when before I wasn't planning to but it's pretty fun from the demo even though I can't win using rey.

Memles

It's...not bad.

I think the pacing is fine for what it is, but it kills any chance of this feeling like a "wrestling" game. And while I think it has the potential to be quite fun, and I'll probably grab it for a weekend from Redbox or something, I have to admit that I'm looking for something that allows me to "recreate" the classic matchups they're offering instead of seeing them play out in hyper-stylized form.

DrDogg said:
As of right now, no. I was told it's possible, but I haven't heard anything lately and the game releases very soon. So I'm sticking with no for the time being.

Thanks. It's too bad that they aren't included, but there are already 30 in the guide so it's worth a purchase anyways.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So, kinda curious here...do we know anything about the non-HD versions? PS2, PSP, Wii?

Also, will definitely get this for PS3 once the price drops a bit.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Memles said:
It's...not bad.

I think the pacing is fine for what it is, but it kills any chance of this feeling like a "wrestling" game. And while I think it has the potential to be quite fun, and I'll probably grab it for a weekend from Redbox or something, I have to admit that I'm looking for something that allows me to "recreate" the classic matchups they're offering instead of seeing them play out in hyper-stylized form.

If that's what you're looking for, go get Legends of Wrestlemania (not Wrestling) for cheap. It has Relive, Rewrite, and Recreate? modes that take you through classic matches and you have to hit the same iconic spots in the match that happened in real life as well. It's really neat.

vixlar

Is not No Mercy... but it is fun!!!!

I was playing with Warrior... how difficult is to play wih him.

Will every fighter have 4 signature moves and one finisher?

It is a little frustrating that running depletes your signature bar.

Does you need a star to counter signature moves?

I wanted to play as Rey, but then, my Xbox overheated (u_u) Maybe today.

B_Rik_Schitthaus said:
Nope, they should scrap SD and replace it with a straight up SIM.
No point having two arcady wrestling games a year.

If they pulled the sim elements from this game and went about creating a serious wrestling game I think I might be pleased. I have yet to play this game though.

atomsk

Party Pooper
Lunchbox said:
who the fuck picked warrior and maestreo for this?

i wanted to barf during the demo

because Hogan vs Austin is where the money is, to get people to buy the game :lol

shaowebb

Against my better judgment yesterday I gave this game a shot.

Let it be known that I am a VERY particular fan when it comes to wrestling. I was there when TNA was still an unknown with NWA in its name. I was involved in the business pretty closely off and on for awhile after 2000, and I have a 30+ page design document outlining problems in the wrestling games of today and various ways to not only fix them, but to make them into enormous online social gaming powerhouses in the market.

Most of my life I've loved wrestling and I've tried to watch all of it I could from anywhere it was being done.

In other words...I'm a biased snob about wrestling and wrestling games and I know it.

I played this game yesterday to see what was up. From the get go I knew not to take it too seriously because:

1. I knew it was trying to be an exaggerated take on wrestling and wrestlers
  2. I knew exactly who they had working on it and their title history

I went in expecting to rage...I was actually surprised a bit.

The game's art style took the edge off and made it more forgiving on me to accept small things and large things that looked off in the moves when they were performed. It made me stop holding the game up to a strict list of standards that I hold other wrestling titles too that try to mirror just what makes a really good wrestling match good.

Due to this, even though it was a weird experience I must say its a pretty fun one.

However a metaphor that best describes this game is it's like the kids section at a water park. Sure there are some fun looking things over there and you're sure you'll enjoy them but you're pretty certain that after your first glance at it you know the full extent of what your about to experience will be over in about a minute and you wont find any more depth than that in the experience though it was fun.

In other words this game is nice and all but you won't play with it for hours without killing off the joy you had.

Lots of nostalgic exaggerations of wrestlers are abundant in this game and are a blast to mess with, even though their moves are not only a bit too exaggerated but just plain ridiculous at times when it comes to trying to immerse yourself in the character. For example, Macho Man does a standing jumping stomp on your chest into a backflip that he lands on his feet from...traditionally a lucha move you can expect from guys like Mistico and never part of his arsenal even remotely.

But whatever I already said the immersion is nothing you get to serious about in this game because it really does a good job of making you feel like you are trying to play a game thats not really supposed to reflect reality so much as its meant to reflect a childs exaggerated idea of who these guys are and what they could do.

It's cartoonish but fun...but you won't find a large amount of moves in this game. In fact, I ran through my entire moves list several times before ending a single match easily.

I bolded that for the lazy to get the main point. It's fun, but theres no depth. Its not too fast, and not too slow and its not clunky like smackdown is with its mechanics because it doesn't really have a lot of positional mechanics that it starts from.

Instead you joystick flick upon grapples to change tie up positions or to chain grapple. A universal spot in real wrestling is something like you do a front headlock->switch to side headlock->switch to a back grapple...and so on and so forth just basically showing off you know a lot of holds and tie ups and are technically sound enough that your opponent should feel overwhelmed as you keep changing your initial tie-up hold so they don't know what to try and shut down.

Its a cred builder in real life thats easy, universal and generally not implemented well in games. Here it is though. This was probably what made me smile the most. Here the self touted non serious game gets a serious mechanic to work better than any serious title I've seen.

You grab and at the slightest flick of your joystick at anytime you change your setup hold and can keep doing it in some instances. Since you have to be tied up for so many frames before you see it suggest the counter button as an option a quick player really can overwhelm their opponent fast and easily using this mechanic to keep going from initial tieup position to initial tieup position like Ric Flair trying to showboat on someone as a technician ala old school NWA.

I love it and will state that this needs expanded on and copied by every wrestling title to eliminate a lot of stop start clunky problems they have.

Countering is prompted, but not in an irritating way. The prompt tells you what button to hit and to hit a direction during certain frames of a grapple. If you did it at the right time and had enough meter (and possibly hit the appropriate direction...not sure if they took it that far) you counter and these can chain because your opponent often gets counter prompts to combat your own.

Its a fun mechanic, if not unoriginal. However this did make me feel like my counters hitting or failing were actually a result of my own skill and not just some kind of random thing like in many other wrestling titles. This was good so I enjoyed it. Not as cumbersome and distracting as the old legends of wrestling meter you had to time, but it made you feel like you had about that much command over counters without being distracting enough to take you out of the match.

Not bad.

However the biggest flaws here are the roster, the graphics, and the depth.

The roster on the legend side is good, but splitting it with a roster that is made up of non legendary current WWE main stays made the game feel....well...forced. Kofi should not be standing alongside the legends in this game. Sure they bank on him now but I don't really think he is very memorable even if he is a decent performer. Worse than this example is Miz being up there in the roster. The guy is terrible.

They should have stuck to just WWE most memorable players. Out of currents I'd say Cena and Orton would easily fit in amongst these guys and Orton's legend killer gimmick even writes him in reasonably if he didn't. The rest you can scrap with a few possible exceptions such as Rey Mysterio and possibly Big Show ( I dont like him but no way will he be a forgotten wrestler).

In other words they shouldn't have tried to keep this game so current. It should have used a roster of just the top draw picks of each era and tossed the rest.

The graphics are in serious need of some anti alias. Good god the Hulk Hogan shirt tear looked like a lego house flying apart.
I'll not say anything much more about this since it is such a stylized game, but it just looks really jaggy all over...even on the shaders, and lighting textures.

Finally the main downfall is it's depth. The game is fun and for once I didn't mind the punch kick feel of setting up my moves because it just seemed appropriate in this setting for some reason. Perhaps because it was easily countered or punished with grapples putting a priority on WRESTLING in a WRESTLING game for once (take notes smackdown).

Problem is after a few minutes youre done. Hit two buttons simultaneously for finishers. Only a few grapples from anytie up. Only a few hits or running moves, etc etc.
I honestly haven't played a wrestling title with this small of a moves list since the SNES days. It doesn't have as few as those games but it doesn't have too much more than these old cartridges did and that just seems rushed to me.

What helps and hinders the move list may be the art. The style allows them to exaggerate moves as much as they wanted and it fits, but their anatomy interferes too much with animating complex moves easily. This is why most moves turn to face the camera only at certain angles so you don't see the clipping errors in some of them.

Its a clever fix, but not one that allows for a large and varied move set in the game to be made.

FOR THE LAZY READ HERE

It's fun, its easy and it's actually got some mechanics that are really good in it here and there. Its art makes it take you just far enough away from reality to want it to be weird and exaggerated like how it is. However, a shallow move set, some poor anti aliasing, lack of depth, and being a game consisting of a roster that has a lot of characters that don't make sense against half of these guys for matchups means this game has a short life span.

Maybe buy it for $20 if you want a quick romp thats kinda quirky and innocent, but don't expect a lot of longterm play out of this title. Its fun, but you could easily wear it out in less than a few days.

Not bad, like I thought it would be. But nothing impressive enough to get worked up over.It doesn't feel much like a wrestling title, but it feels like a close enough exaggeration of one to enjoy in spite of its lack of depth.

If this game had about quadruple the moves it would be great, but as is it's pretty much the Saturday Night Slam Masters of 2011

AtomHeart

Neo Member
The AI seems to be pretty weird in the demo, sometimes you can just beat the crap out of the AI the entire time and win easily, then the next they will counter every single move you throw at them and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Anyone know how you stop them from doing the special grapples (X+A) (Y+B)? I've tried pressing LB before they grab me but nothing happens, getting hit by them constantly is starting to get a bit old.

Tizoc

Nelo Ice said:
if only the demo was cena vs the rock
My bro's been telling me about that for a while, sucks that they aren't in it >_<
Oh well will mess with it for a while before deleting it
Wonder if my bro plans on getting it?

komarkaze

Check your local Best Buy to try out the full version of the game. I came back from lunch and they had it running on X360. Half the roster was locked but you could pick various match types. Loading times were a little long but game played smooth.

komarkaze said:
Check your local Best Buy to try out the full version of the game. I came back from lunch and they had it running on X360. Half the roster was locked but you could pick various match types. Loading times were a little long but game played smooth.

Any impressions on what you played of the full game?

Fatalah

Leveraging past superstars = awesome.

Just like Marvel and Capcom, the WWE has a full cast of characters to work with. Nobody wants to play with those cheesy new Marvel characters! We want Wolverine and Spiderman! Same goes for the WWE, we want Ricky Steamboat and Razor Ramon! For my money, they ought to add everybody!

Fatalah said:
Leveraging past superstars = awesome.

Just like Marvel and Capcom, the WWE has a full cast of characters to work with. Nobody wants to play with those cheesy new Marvel characters! We want Wolverine and Spiderman! Same goes for the WWE, we want Ricky Steamboat and Razor Ramon! For my money, they ought to add everybody!

They should have done a WCW vs. WWE game back in the day. They still could! No one gives a shit about Smackdown vs. Raw. That isn't a real rivalry.

Top Bottom