• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Backlash 2017 |OT| This PPV Brought To You By India

Khali was super over in India even as a monster heel

No way. Reigns' booking is worse and his writing is bad, but his pure mic skills are way better than Jinder has shown his to be over the last month.

Did it work for Khali?

Khali physique wise was enough to make heads turn. He was super over in India.
News channels who are dumb enough to think Wwe is real ran breaking news segments when he won. They interviewed actual wrestlers asking them if he is greatest wrestler in India lol. WWE or its Indian broadcast partner Ten network kept feeding them video clips to air his segments. It was hilarious for me. I kept facepalming throughout.

Also they queried Dara Singh, a legendary Indian professional wrestler who many Indians still believe took part in actual fights and not scripted matches like WWE. That interview was awkward.

However, other superstars like John Cena, Undertaker etc were way more over during Khali days. In fact, I think Undertaker is most over wrestler in India. He was so popular that the fake Undertaker in 90s (Ted Debiase Undertaker) starred in a main stream Bollywood action movie as villain.

Jinder cannot sell more merchandise than say John Cena or Roman Reigns or whoever is top wwe face currently. I think Balor is pretty over too among the kids.

orioto

Good Art™
Interested in Owens/Styles. I've been disappointed with Owen's ringwork in general, but AJ got very good matches out of Dean Ambrose. Should be good.

Kinda want Mahal to be champ for the internet's outrage.

Are you comparing Owens to Ambrose ?
He's absolutely in the same league as Styles.

Remains to see if he'll be allowed to show it tonight.

cordy

Banned
That buckle bomb which ended Sting's career and put Finn out for half a year? Even when the move is done without someone getting injured it looks nasty enough.

Are you talking about a move that "looks" like it can fuck someone up or a move that "can" fuck someone up? That's the difference here as any move can damage a wrestler if it's performed or taken wrong regardless what it is. There's a difference between looking and actually being.

So what are you saying? Because honestly it really looks as though you haven't seen much Ambrose matches. Even the matches with Styles can prove this lol.

Khali physique wise was enough to make heads turn. He was super over in India.
News channels who are dumb enough to think Wwe is real ran breaking news segments when he won. They interviewed actual wrestlers asking them if he is greatest wrestler in India lol. WWE or its Indian broadcast partner Ten network kept feeding them video clips to air his segments. It was hilarious for me. I kept facepalming throughout.

Also they queried Dara Singh, a legendary Indian professional wrestler who many Indians still believe took part in actual fights and not scripted matches like WWE. That interview was awkward.

However, other superstars like John Cena, Undertaker etc were way more over during Khali days. In fact, I think Undertaker is most over wrestler in India. He was so popular that the fake Undertaker in 90s (Ted Debiase Undertaker) starred in a main stream Bollywood action movie as villain.

Jinder cannot sell more merchandise than say John Cena or Roman Reigns or whoever is top wwe face currently. I think Balor is pretty over too among the kids.

Awesome insights. The bolded part is awesome.

Sabucin

This «Nakamura doesn't have matches» is so dumb. I remember that promo when Ziggler said why you cheer for a guy who has never had a match in WWE and the crowd started to chant «NXT».
Amazing.

Are you talking about a move that "looks" like it can fuck someone up or a move that "can" fuck someone up? That's the difference here as any move can damage a wrestler if it's performed or taken wrong regardless what it is. There's a difference between looking and actually being.

So what are you saying? Because honestly it really looks as though you haven't seen much Ambrose matches. Even the matches with Styles can prove this lol.
I've seen plenty of Ambrose matches. And I like a lot of his matches but that doesn't take away that a lot of his offense looks soft at times. I like Bayley a lot too but I can agree she has some moves that aren't great. I wouldn't put her in this worst offense ever level everyone has because of a botched elbow drop in one match and her spinning around on an opponent a few times.

Edit: Nakamura vs Ziggler first? Why? I guess it's good to open hot but they advertised it so much I thought it'd co main event or something.

cordy

Banned
We might be having the best match of the night as the first match which is honestly good in my eyes. It forces everybody else to step it up.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Spend all of that time promoting Nakamura for Backlash, have him open the show.

I'm laughing so hard right now.

Why? Ask any actual wrestler and they will all tell you the exact same thing, if you can't be last, be first.

First match has the hottest crowd and sets the tone. It's far better then being a middle match, and they aren't getting main event over the title.

Nak is curtain-jerking? rofl.

Spend all of that time promoting Nakamura for Backlash, have him open the show.

I'm laughing so hard right now.

They book PPV's like TV shows now. They want a hot opener, and there's no hotter person to the crowd than Nakamura.

The title match was always going to main event, so opening the show is hardly a bad alternative.

This «Nakamura doesn't have matches» is so dumb. I remember that promo when Ziggler said why you cheer for a guy who has never had a match in WWE and the crowd started to chant «NXT».
Amazing.

That's the whole point. Ziggler is being an asshole and idiot by not acknowledging what Nakamura has already done. You're supposed to think he's an idiot.

Sanjuro

Amazing.

Ziggler's point is still valid though and likely was injected by someone behind the scenes. There really can be no unique surprises outside of returning vets. Even AJ Styles, who has been great, was probably the closest thing you can get to a notable outside talent arrival.

That's the whole point. Ziggler is being an asshole and idiot by not acknowledging what Nakamura has already done. You're supposed to think he's an idiot.

That too, because I suppose that's his character. It's a commentary on the industry though.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Just finished the AOP/DIY match. fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Nothing on this show will come close. Nothing.

Jerking the curtain is a really important position on a pro wrestling card. You don't want a meh first match to set the tempo for the night.

cordy

Banned
I've seen plenty of Ambrose matches. And I like a lot of his matches but that doesn't take away that a lot of his offense looks soft at times. I like Bayley a lot too but I can agree she has some moves that aren't great. I wouldn't put her in this worst offense ever level everyone has because of a botched elbow drop in one match and her spinning around on an opponent a few times.

I'm just going to be honest and say that the only move from Bayley that looks like it would hurt would be her Hurricanrana. With Ambrose, he's got a lot of moves that look like they hurt besides his finisher (Money Flip, butterfly suplex, snap suplex, running apron dropkick, Hook and Ladder and etc), I just don't see that from Bayley. I agree that some of Ambrose's offense looks weak.

Bayley is pretty good with psychology, her offense looking damaging just isn't a strength of hers so she needs to work on that. That's all I'm saying.

Sanjuro

Sami - Every match I have shouldn't be a million to one chance...

Your whole purpose is to compete in matches where it's a million to one chance that you win.

Foreign heel KO is the worst.

I'm just going to be honest and say that the only move from Bayley that looks like it would hurt would be her Hurricanrana. With Ambrose, he's got a lot of moves that look like they hurt besides his finisher (Money Flip, butterfly suplex, snap suplex, running apron dropkick, Hook and Ladder and etc), I just don't see that from Bayley. I agree that some of Ambrose's offense looks weak.

Bayley is pretty good with psychology, her offense looking damaging just isn't a strength of hers so she needs to work on that. That's all I'm saying.
Fair enough, friend cordy. Hope it didn't come off like I was getting mad at you.

cordy

Banned
Foreign heel KO is the worst.

Fair enough, friend cordy. Hope it didn't come off like I was getting mad at you.

Nah man this is WrassleGAF, we all know how it is. I don't think anybody's really mad at each other here that regularly posts lol. We just love talking about this stuff whether it's bad or good.

giphy.gif

expecting Big match Nakamura tonight, but will probably be a damn squash match knowing WWE booking...

urDsL9T.gif

G8U5wzo.gif

Don't think we'll see Big Match Nakamura during this WWE run. Dude checked out during the Styles match. Its cool because Nakamura in cruise control is still amazing

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Since Roman isn't on this show, maybe it won't get completely drowned out by CM Punk chants. I expect them to completely shit on Jinder/Orton tho.

Top Bottom