• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

theres nothing broken with them. Just wiggly from being the wrong size.

Okay. Thanks.

I talked to support last night and the guy seemed a bit clueless. He didn't know both controllers are new models, and recommended having them replaced.

I'm now talking to someone else for peace of mind, and he said that it's normal for new controllers needing to be worked in like action figures. He apparently checked some at the office.

Chorazin

I'm really glad I'm not good enough at video games to notice deadzones, slow turn, or drift. This is probably the best controller ever (for me.)

Shy

Every other controller feels like a toy now. This thing is top notch. It just feels so good.
When i saw people posting that, i thought that they were overstating it, but now i've got one it's soooo fucking true it's not funny. I hope Sony end up making a high end controller too.

hwy_61

Banned
So I've noticed some gamestops having these in stock. Usually doesn't last long at all, but that's kinda weird huh? Could it be preorders that were never picked up?

When i saw people posting that, i thought that they were overstating it, but now i've got one it's soooo fucking true it's not funny. I hope Sony end up making a high end controller too.

I'd be satisfied if they put a battery worth a shit in it, but yeah, once you get used to the paddles you really don't want to play games without them. I never paid much attention to stick sizes, either, but using that midsize stick and adjusting sensitivity has made a difference in my aim playing Halo 5.

Justinh

Can anyone explain the logic behind the longer sticks? I'm too lazy to try them out to see what the point is.

I think since there's a larger area of where you can move the sticks, you can be more precise and up the in game sensitivity. Kinda why people used Kontrol Freeks, iirc.
The only thing I don't really like about the Ford mock-up is the left joystick, but I guess it could be swapped out for anything but racing games.

It doesn't look like you could remove that restrictor plate(?) though. I really, really like everything else about it, though. Especially the triggers and the paddles.
closer look
The menu and view buttons need labels, too

The only thing I don't really like about the Ford mock-up is the left joystick, but I guess it could be swapped out for anything but racing games.

Justinh

Amazon Mexico will start to sell them on November 30th, well better late than never.

I wonder if that's the day we'll get another shot at it, too. Since that's the day the microsoft store has on the page for it.

Also, being able to aim while jumping makes me so happy...

SwolBro

Banned
Can anyone explain the logic behind the longer sticks? I'm too lazy to try them out to see what the point is.

it allows for finer micro-movements and higher sensitivity settings. again, it's all up to personal preference in the end though. i could never do too long of sticks. i did add a kontrolfreek "alpha" to my right stick for a slight increase in height.

Okay. Thanks.

I talked to support last night and the guy seemed a bit clueless. He didn't know both controllers are new models, and recommended having them replaced.

I'm now talking to someone else for peace of mind, and he said that it's normal for new controllers needing to be worked in like action figures. He apparently checked some at the office.

Trust me. From experience it will not fix itself. I have had several regular controllers like that. I've sent one back to Microsoft and the "fixed" it. When the sent it back it was exactly the same. Not all of them will do it but once it does that's how it's going to be.
What's ridiculous is that this $150 controller hasn't addressed this issue at all and it's exactly the same inside. I have to wonder what we are really paying all this money for......

Spasm

it allows for finer micro-movements and higher sensitivity settings. again, it's all up to personal preference in the end though. i could never do too long of sticks. i did add a kontrolfreek "alpha" to my right stick for a slight increase in height.
I didn't like the long concave sticks, and my thumbs slip off the medium convex sticks. I hope they come out with medium concave.

SwolBro

Banned
I didn't like the long concave sticks, and my thumbs slip off the medium convex sticks. I hope they come out with medium concave.

try a kontrolfreek? i use the "alphas" they're amazing. i only use it on my right stick. the added surface area really helps.

Dominator

My friend who uses Scuf for CoD says this controller is ugly and Scuf controllers look so much better.

I didn't even know what to say lol, Scuf is ugly as shit.

Trust me. From experience it will not fix itself. I have had several regular controllers like that. I've sent one back to Microsoft and the "fixed" it. When the sent it back it was exactly the same. Not all of them will do it but once it does that's how it's going to be.
What's ridiculous is that this $150 controller hasn't addressed this issue at all and it's exactly the same inside. I have to wonder what we are really paying all this money for......

Thanks for the input

I wonder how many people actually have ticking joysticks.

DirtyLarry

2 Things

Is anyone else experiencing a light "wandering" with this controller in Halo 5?
If I put my controller down completely, hands off, it moves super slowly on its own right and down. What is odd is if I look at someone. It stops. This is not a feature of Halo 5 itself is it?

Can someone remind me what the name of the USB dongle thing that allows one to also use this controller on the PS4? I believe I am going to pick it up if it works.

TIA.
DL

DirtyLarry

You have stick drifting out of the box. Return it and get a new one.
Not what I wanted to hear. I guess I'll contact MS directly and hope for the best as Best Buy no longer has it. At least I don't think they do. I'm going to call.
Well this sucks.
Is it a know thing with this controller or do I just have that bad of luck with MS accessories?
It is the second what I would refer to as premium accessory in a row I've picked up that out of the box Day 1 is broken.
Not happy right now.
I'm in bed now but I'll post a video tomorrow. It is not even really slight, it clearly drifts.

My friend who uses Scuf for CoD says this controller is ugly and Scuf controllers look so much better.

I didn't even know what to say lol, Scuf is ugly as shit.

Scuf controllers have so many designs I don't know what you're even basing this off of. I mean if you wanted you could have scuf controller that looks like a normal xbox one controller just with paddles on the back.

dankir

Fuck yeah, the few times a shitty Canadian exchange rate is good. I got lucky and purchased 3 controllers from bestbuy.ca last week.

Sold two on eBay in no reserve auctions and made like 675 bucks, which covers the cost of all three controllers and ebay fees. So I got my controller for free!

Also I love this thing, been using my own controller for Halo 5, still getting used to the paddles but I'm pretty new to Halo Multiplayer in general. Will test if out on Titanfall tomorrow. Question when the sticks go back to neutral, that satisfying thunk is that just the stick itself or is it vibrating? I love that tactile feedback, such an amazing device Microsoft, good shit!

Any good configurations for Titanfall? I kind of wish there was a way to know what each button does by default per game, I guess everybody is opening the game options looking at the controls and then the Elite app to customize? So you can flip back and forth?

Dominator

Scuf controllers have so many designs I don't know what you're even basing this off of. I mean if you wanted you could have scuf controller that looks like a normal xbox one controller just with paddles on the back.
Not basing it off of colors, he has one with the logo all over the controller as grips (I guess, never held it only seen a picture), the sticks had the logo on it, the Xbox button had their logo on it.

I guess what I'm saying is his was ugly as shit lol

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.
Fuck yeah, the few times a shitty Canadian exchange rate is good. I got lucky and purchased 3 controllers from bestbuy.ca last week.

Sold two on eBay in no reserve auctions and made like 675 bucks, which covers the cost of all three controllers and ebay fees. So I got my controller for free!

Also I love this thing, been using my own controller for Halo 5, still getting used to the paddles but I'm pretty new to Halo Multiplayer in general. Will test if out on Titanfall tomorrow. Question when the sticks go back to neutral, that satisfying thunk is that just the stick itself or is it vibrating? I love that tactile feedback, such an amazing device Microsoft, good shit!

Any good configurations for Titanfall? I kind of wish there was a way to know what each button does by default per game, I guess everybody is opening the game options looking at the controls and then the Elite app to customize? So you can flip back and forth?

Pretty much this. Is there a method of sharing your configs, without copying the config from the controller directly to another Xbox? A sharing hub would be awesome.

Shy

I just got a wireless adaptor and plugged in my battery pack, that i got the other day. Now, my Elite has achieved it's final form.

So happy.

SwolBro

Banned

i came up with a config i think is stupendous for Titanfall.. if ya want it.

I own 8 Xbox One controllers not including my Elite controller.

The Elite is the first controller I owned that has the clicking sound with the analog stick. Lol how life works sometimes.

Really wanna return it and get a replacement... But I ordered from Amazon and I don't want to wait for them to get new stock, and then also wait to send it back and get a new one. :( It's not just the clicking sound that gets me, but it feels a slight bad when it makes the clicking sound, like it just chipped something.

Yaari

Just got mine. It feels so good. I want to hold it all day.

Those paddles are close though. Going to get some taking used to.

Spasm

Anyone having pops in their sticks while rotating... Take the sticks off, and blow into the cylinders, NES cartridge style. Worked for me. Curious if it helps anyone else.

dankir

Anybody who has a good Titanfall config please share. Will Microsoft be adding more game profiles for the Elite config app? I mean Titanfall is an exclusive so....?

Chorazin

Anybody who has a good Titanfall config please share. Will Microsoft be adding more game profiles for the Elite config app? I mean Titanfall is an exclusive so....?

I like Titanfall a lot, but I doubt they're gonna bother making an official config for it. Just play with settings yourself, that's half the fun of the controller.

Flipside

So I bought an Xbox One Elite bundle with the new controller. The controller feels great but I have on small issue.

When I install the Xbox Accessories App, make a custom profile and put the stick sensitivity to "instant" I notice some drifting. Only when it's on this most sensitive setting and I press the right stick to the right it sometimes keeps going to the right very slowly.

I am wondering if I am just nitpicking because it's very slow and only on the right stick, to the right (sometimes) on the most sensitive setting (instant). I haven't noticed it at all on other setting or in other direction. But I sort of expected a perfect controller and this does bug me a little bit.

Does anyone else experience this? What would you recommend doing?

najt

Neo Member
Ohhh that's a bummer. Guess I'll keep an eye on it the next couple days and see what happens. Might have to cancel if it gets delayed like every other place.

Still no word from Amazon France. The controller is now listed unavailable, but my order still has estimated delivery from Nov 4 to Nov 6. Fingers crossed.

God fucking damn it. I think my controller's a bit faulty.

The right trigger lock isn't very secure and doesn't stay in place. It's wiggly and doesn't truly "lock" the trigger when I switch it on.

Not sure if sending it in is even worth it... I love this thing too much to lose it for a few weeks.

Shylock

I wish there was an option in the accessories app to make the controller "default" when inside the dash vs. in an actual game. I finally just made setting #1 a normal set of mappings, and #2 for whatever game I'm currently playing, because some of the more complex mappings seem to really mess with my ability to move around NXOE.

(or I'm doing something wrong)

In an actual game, it's been a long time since I've felt as comfortable with a controller as this one. I doubt I'm actually playing any better, but it just feels nicer.

So I bought an Xbox One Elite bundle with the new controller. The controller feels great but I have on small issue.

When I install the Xbox Accessories App, make a custom profile and put the stick sensitivity to "instant" I notice some drifting. Only when it's on this most sensitive setting and I press the right stick to the right it sometimes keeps going to the right very slowly.

I am wondering if I am just nitpicking because it's very slow and only on the right stick, to the right (sometimes) on the most sensitive setting (instant). I haven't noticed it at all on other setting or in other direction. But I sort of expected a perfect controller and this does bug me a little bit.

Considering you spent $500 on that console, I'd try to get another controller. BTW, how did you get it early? Is it being sold earlier outside NA or something?

Manac0r

I have the same issue on Instant. I have set it to fast instead and found that it does not affect gameplay at all. I can't tell if it is a faulty controller or a settings issue. I did contact support but have yet to hear back from them. To be honest once I stopped looking for the problem, I couldn't notice any issues. I think "instant" with out dead zone tweaking is too sensitive. If I leave the sticks there is no drift, it only occurs after I move them. Occaisonally, and normally after a sudden release, like the bounce is causing feedback.

Lima

Considering you spent $500 on that console, I'd try to get another controller. BTW, how did you get it early? Is it being sold earlier outside NA or something?

Yeah. The elite console bundle has been available in Germany since October 20th for example. Meanwhile the controller seperatly is still MiA.

I own 8 Xbox One controllers not including my Elite controller.

The Elite is the first controller I owned that has the clicking sound with the analog stick. Lol how life works sometimes.

Really wanna return it and get a replacement... But I ordered from Amazon and I don't want to wait for them to get new stock, and then also wait to send it back and get a new one. :( It's not just the clicking sound that gets me, but it feels a slight bad when it makes the clicking sound, like it just chipped something.

I think I'm going to ask for one, too. The ticking is consuming me with worry, and this is the controller I want to be most perfect.

Top Bottom