• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Elite Controller |OT| That's a paddlin'

Is the Microsoft Store not taking orders again? I go to the page to order one and the Add to Cart button quickly changes to Out of Stock. I'm using a mobile browser.

Last I knew, the MS Store was taking orders to be shipped by the end of November.

I spoke to a support rep I know, and he told me that the clicking joysticks could be a batch issue and, as far as he knows, it's not normal.

He told me that he'd help me get it replaced.

It seems as my controller will just barely drift to the right. (Left joystick) This is the dreaded slowdrift everyone keeps talking about? It is barely barely noticeable. Only noticeable when I let the controller sit on a destiny menu where there is a cursor.

Spasm

I spoke to a support rep I know, and he told me that the clicking joysticks could be a batch issue and, as far as he knows, it's not normal.

He told me that he'd help me get it replaced.
Honestly, I feel silly asking this, but... Did you take the stick off, and blow into it? I am not kidding, it made my clicky sticks go away.

Honestly, I feel silly asking this, but... Did you take the stick off, and blow into it? I am not kidding, it made my clicky sticks go away.

I haven't yet.

I saw your post earlier today, but I haven't been down to my gaming room or showered so that I can touch anything. I will, though.

Thanks!

DirtyLarry

So I am glad I played around with things a bit more, as I was about to submit my request to return the controller as I believed it had a drifting issue.

Turns out IT DOES have a drifting issue, but it appears to be software related.

If someone can really do me a solid and test it out to see if it is somehow my hardware, and not a software issue like I believe, it would be very much appreciated.

So in the Accessories app I left Profile 1 at the default settings, NO drifting issue.
For Profile 2, I used the Halo 5 SP settings and changed the paddles to my own settings, and I also changed the Right Stick sensitivity to "Instant."
It is that "Instant" setting that appears to be causing the drifting.

So can someone load up the Halo 5 SP profile on their controller, change the Right Stick sensitivity to "Instant," load up Halo 5 and see if your controller also drifts ever so slightly down and to the right on the right stick while you stand still it would truly and greatly be appreciated.

TIA to anyone that can help me out. I do not believe I am going to be returning it as the default profile seems solid, but I would love to know if it is just me seeing this or not.

Stevey

Hopefully someone can answer this.
It says you can adjust the thumbstick sensitivity- is that just like sensitivity settings in game?
Or can you like adjust the physical force needed to move the sticks-the resistance?

Recharg3

@majornelson 55m55 minutes ago
Seeing some questions about Elite Controller availability so let me say this: they are sold out at most retailers around the world More Elite Controllers are arriving each week, but supplies may be limited until early Dec.

KevinG

@majornelson 55m55 minutes ago
Seeing some questions about Elite Controller availability so let me say this: they are sold out at most retailers around the world More Elite Controllers are arriving each week, but supplies may be limited until early Dec.
Was just about to post this.

Justinh

Is the Microsoft Store not taking orders again? I go to the page to order one and the Add to Cart button quickly changes to Out of Stock. I'm using a mobile browser.

Last I knew, the MS Store was taking orders to be shipped by the end of November.

I was just able to get an order in. Hopefully it sticks.

Bane

So can someone load up the Halo 5 SP profile on their controller, change the Right Stick sensitivity to "Instant," load up Halo 5 and see if your controller also drifts ever so slightly down and to the right on the right stick while you stand still it would truly and greatly be appreciated.

Just tried it and had no drift.

Justinh

Just tried it and had no drift.

Yeah, I'm testing now.

It doesn't drift for me when I'm standing still when on instant, but it does start if I barely touch it and let it go sometimes. Not all the time. Even rumble seems to activate the drift sometimes...where it continues after the rumbling stops. If I just like, tap it on the top of the stick, it'll stop though. To the right and down.

Whelp...I'm not returning mine. Playing on instant is crazy talk in my book (my book of crazy talks). I'm on NXOE if that matters. I really have to try to get it going, not sure if that's the case for you. Almost like I'm tricking it to thinking it's not center.

edit:not right and down, DOH! Invert aim: right and up.

Same here. I really wish I would've jumped in before. I've been interested since it was announced just never pulled the trigger.

Hopefully I can get it this go around.
Man, lemme tell ya'

Smashing butts never felt so good!

OverHeat

« generous god »
I'm in love!
gLM4BNW.jpg

CaLe

So I just ordered this... I really hope I don't regret it. My birthday is coming up and so I justified the price as a gift to myself.

You guys better not be kidding when you say it's the best controller you ever had...

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

NICE

So I just ordered this... I really hope I don't regret it. My birthday is coming up and so I justified the price as a gift to myself.

You guys better not be kidding when you say it's the best controller you ever had...

IT FUCKING MELTS IN YOUR HANDS. The weight, the quality of the material. Its amazing. I truly think this is a REALLY REALLY good investment for people who game on Xbox One. Just buy one less game if money is issue. But you will be holding this thing for years to come.

Grassy

Got mine today, it feels so good. I downloaded the configuration app on my PC but I take it there is no way to map the trigger buttons P1-P4 as individual buttons, as in not mapped to another button on the controller? That would be a nice thing to have for certain PC games.

CaLe

NICE

IT FUCKING MELTS IN YOUR HANDS. The weight, the quality of the material. Its amazing. I truly think this is a REALLY REALLY good investment for people who game on Xbox One. Just buy one less game if money is issue. But you will be holding this thing for years to come.

Wow, bold words ! I actually game on PC also, I bought the wireless adapter beforehand, so I'm hoping I'll be able to use it on that platform too.

I might buy a Cronus Max and use it on PS4 if it's supported !

Boston

Do the paddles get in the way when holding the controller, like acidently hitting them? I death grip my controller in intense gunfights, sometimes. Not sure if this controller will work for me.

iMax

Do the paddles get in the way when holding the controller, like acidently hitting them? I death grip my controller in intense gunfights, sometimes. Not sure if this controller will work for me.

Yup. Death grips won't work for you if you want paddles.

arhra

So I am glad I played around with things a bit more, as I was about to submit my request to return the controller as I believed it had a drifting issue.

Turns out IT DOES have a drifting issue, but it appears to be software related.

If someone can really do me a solid and test it out to see if it is somehow my hardware, and not a software issue like I believe, it would be very much appreciated.

So in the Accessories app I left Profile 1 at the default settings, NO drifting issue.
For Profile 2, I used the Halo 5 SP settings and changed the paddles to my own settings, and I also changed the Right Stick sensitivity to "Instant."
It is that "Instant" setting that appears to be causing the drifting.

TIA to anyone that can help me out. I do not believe I am going to be returning it as the default profile seems solid, but I would love to know if it is just me seeing this or not.

I get very minor intermittent drift (I basically have to nudge the stick very slightly when it's centered, but not enough to engage it against the springs; bounceback when releasing it doesn't seem to cause issues) using the (non-NXOE) instant setting in Halo 5, but that's kinda to be expected, given what the curve is doing.

I'm assuming you're also using the retail dash, and your instant curve looks like this, correct? I can't imagine that anyone would want to use the NXOE's instant setting for a shooter.

What that curve is doing is effectively shrinking the physical range of the deadzone to roughly a third of it's usual size. Deadzones exist for a reason - no controller, no matter the cost, is going to have sticks that return perfectly to the zero point every time (at least, not at anything approaching a mass-market price, even a niche mass-market price like the Elite). That kind of precision engineering is the realm of scientific instruments that cost thousands of dollars.

So you have a deadzone to filter out those spurious inputs that happen when the stick is physically centered but still sending a small signal. Ideally, the deadzone would be as small as possible, while still eliminating drift, but as there's variance between controllers (especially once they've been used for a while and start to wear), devs typically set them larger than necessary for many controllers to be on the safe side. If you're lucky, they'll offer some degree of customisation (Titanfall offers low/mid/high settings, IIRC, and Elite Dangerous actually just gives you a slider you can adjust).

What the curve adjustments do is remap the relationship between stick position and input sent to the game - so if the part next to the zero point is steeper, the logical deadzone becomes smaller in terms of physical stick movement. And vice-versa for if the curve is shallower near the zero point.

If/when we get the ability to set custom curves you'll be able to dial in a curve that minimizes the deadzone for a given game (and in-game setting if it has that), while eliminating drifting, but until then, the presets may slightly under- or over-shoot that sweet spot, leaving you with either minor drift, or a deadzone larger than it needs to be, depending on the game/settings. In teh case of Halo 5, it seems it's shrinking the deadzone just a fraction too far.

TL;DR: It's not an issue, just minor variances in manufacturing tolerances exacerbated by a sensitivity curve that's explicitly designed to enhance the sensitivity near the zero mark and shrink the deadzone.

edit: an image to demonstrate what I'm talking about:

pdnDGh7.png

Devs set the deadzone on the "movement in game" axis. So for a given deadzone setting, using the default profile (or a regular controller), it takes way more physical movement to hit the edge of the deadzone (the dark red lines) than it does with the curve applied (the bright red lines).

Hawk269

Getting our second one tonight (for the wife) when I pick up the Elite Console in a few hours. She keeps trying to take mine, so she will be glad to have her own.

Had mine for a week now, not terribly impressed. I tend to accidentally touch the paddles, when I put the controller down sometimes the paddles come out, and overall I just don't honestly notice anything different. I guess the grip is a little nicer.

Would not really recommend at all unless someone is hard core into FPS and can actually tell the difference.

No drift in Halo 5 on mine either, been playing the campaign with it the last week with a smattering of MP. I am mostly a PS4 guy so maybe the constant switching between DS4 and Elite isn't helping much.

Don't forget to install the Xbox Accessories app (i searched for elite in store and only entry), it does a firmware update and lets you set configs per game.

TI82

Banned
Personally the DS4 is better than both 360/XB1 controller. So I wonder since this doesn't actually change the shape just makes the things already on the XB1 better it still isn't as good as the DS4. At least to me.

hwy_61

Banned
Personally the DS4 is better than both 360/XB1 controller. So I wonder since this doesn't actually change the shape just makes the things already on the XB1 better it still isn't as good as the DS4. At least to me.

ok?

what a weird post

Shoe786

Is there a way to bind the paddles to a key that isn't on the controller? Meaning can i bind the back paddles to a keyboard key command instead of the face buttons?

DirtyLarry

Bane, Justinh, and arhra.

Thank you all very much. justinH and arhra, you were seeing what I was seeing, I definitely had to nudge it ever so slightly, and rumble did also set it off. So yep, that is what I was seeing. Awesome, thank you for confirming.

arhra, correct, I am on the retail dash, in fact I just opted out of the NXOE last week, so I am not seeing the NXOE Instant variation, just the retail.

To be super honest, I had no idea what the Instant meant, and I tried out all 3 settings about 2 minutes each to see if I noticed any real difference, and just got lazy and left it on Instant and kept playing. Just sounded good to me so I was testing it out. Thank you for very much for taking the time to explain the deadzones, and now that I know more about it, it makes complete sense now. I was shrinking the dead zone and I also believe the Devs already did their part to shrink it, hence the drift.

Instant is officially no longer my stick sensitivity.

Thanks again for confirming. It was one of the very small things that once I noticed it drove me crazy. I am just happy to know it was not my hardware was faulty. If anything, it wa pretty much user error.

Cheers.

Justinh

Glad I could help, Dirty.
Yeah, Instant doesn't look that intense in retail dash, and I think it's more accurately depicted in the NXOE app.

Hope now you can brush your worries aside and enjoy your new controller.

arhra

Glad I could help, Dirty.
Yeah, Instant doesn't look that intense in retail dash, and I think it's more accurately depicted in the NXOE app.

Yeah, it's worth noting that the NXOE app has a completely different set of curves to the version you get on the retail dash. GSY Miguel posted images of all of them a few pages back. The "Aggressive" curve looks like it might work well, but really they need to just hurry up and implement custom curves already.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
amazon.de told me my elite will be shipped today. let's see if they really do.

one thing I'm a little afraid about is that I tend to hold my controller really tight during halo. probably have to change that from now on lol. scuf would probably been better for me in that case, but I just can't afford 200€ for a controller.

Anyone know if there is a way to redirect all audio through the 3.5mm jack on the controller? My pair of 363D's seem only to play chat audio, and I haven't really found much online in the way of a fix.

Mr White

Trust me. From experience it will not fix itself. I have had several regular controllers like that. I've sent one back to Microsoft and the "fixed" it. When the sent it back it was exactly the same. Not all of them will do it but once it does that's how it's going to be.
What's ridiculous is that this $150 controller hasn't addressed this issue at all and it's exactly the same inside. I have to wonder what we are really paying all this money for......

People were claiming that dpad and bumpers feels better then in standard controller. How is it possible if it's the same inside?
Is it possible to remap buttons in standard controller? I'm just thinking about dropping my preorder and buying a Halo 5 gamepad instead

Flipside

So from all of the previous posts I understand that a small drift that happens when slightly nudging the right stick on the instant setting isn't a big problem. At least not worth sending back your controller for right?

The rest of the controller works fantastic and it would be a shame to trade it and get a controller back which could be worse. The chance of getting a controller that is perfectly centered and returns perfectly at the instant setting seems quite slim.

The Elite console is available since the 24th here in the Netherlands I think. I wish I could use my Elite controller on my PS4 as well :)

MCD

My 3x Elite controllers (me and friends) were delivered to the wrong place. Chatted with Amazon and they refunded me instantly. No further questions, just like that.

Love Amazon.

I wish I could use my Elite controller on my PS4 as well :)

Initial reports seem to suggest that the Elite controller is working on PS4 with the CronusMAX PLUS. Once people have had a bit more time to test it and report back, if it's working well I'll be doing the same.

Now I just have to wait 2 more days before the Elite bundle is released here.

Top Bottom