• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

I feel your pain. Does your receiver have a bypass mode of any kind that might help?

Or if it doesn't or you've already tried that, what about sending HDMI to your TV first, and then using HDMI out on the TV to your receiver for sound?
I tried with Video Conversion both on and off. While on I also tried "pure" and "auto." Though once the Pio receives a 4K signal the only options are on or off.

I've had problems with ARC, so I don't bother with it anymore.
From a quick search I did, it doesn't look like your receiver supports HDMI 2.0a which is causing issues with 10-bit color. It says a firmware update is planned soon.

Edit: Looks like the firmware update is out now.
I have no problem with the Samsung UHD player passing through. Though that player only tells you if the HDCP is not compliant or if it is displaying HDR.
I do. Everything in the HDMI chain is updated.
Did you find this thread?

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/90-re...-pioneer-elite-avr-s-sc-95-sc-97-sc-99-a.html

(Not sure if there is anything in there that is helpful though.)
Thanks, I actually posted there first.

Here’s my current setup, from top rack to bottom:

Vizio P65-C1, latest version of firmware
Pioneer SC-95, latest version of firmware
Xbox One S 2TB, latest version of firmware

I spoke with Pioneer Technical Support. They mentioned it “should work,” but it is now an ongoing case. I have to send them all the technical information of my setup.

I have used five different HDMI cables throughout all of this testing. The current AmazonBasics HighSpeed w/internet HDMI cable, the previous gen AmazonBasics High Speed w/ethernet HDMI cable, Twisted Veins high speed cable, Microsoft’s High Speed cable included with the Xbox One S, and Vizio’s High Speed cable included with the P65-C1. I kept each brand/type together throughout the HDMI chain, except the Xbox One S HDMI was paired with the Vizio HDMI cable.

I tested every cable straight from the Xbox One S to the Vizio P65-C1 and ran the TV Auto-Detect test. Every cable passed all of the tests, except the 50Hz test (as expected).

If the SC-95 receives a 4K signal, then the only options for Video Conversion are “On” or “Off,” with none of the options available for scaling, etc. If a signal < 4K is received, or no signal at all, then the full suite of Video Conversion options are available. I tested “Auto,” “Pure,” and “Scale” before turning on the Xbox One S without any change to the failed test results.

The three HDMI 2.0 inputs on the Pio were set to 4:4:4, video conversion to “ON,” and the 4K 10-bit @ 60Hz test failed. I tried the same settings, except for the HDMI 2.0 input set to 4:2:0 and it then failed every test but the 4K one. The results were the same for both 4:4:4 and 4:2:0 with video conversion set to “Off,”

malfcn

Dropping an avatar sized Mega Chief.

OvEUQk7.png

Caayn

Any one know if this LG 55UH7700 4K TV is any good for $799? It's currently a daily deal on Adorama via eBay (free shipping and no tax in some states).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391518041600

Seems to have most of the bells and whistles:

4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160)
TruMotion 240Hz
IPS Panel
HDR Super with Dolby Vision
True Black Panel
Quantum Display
Ultra Luminance
4K Upscaler
webOS 3.0

Really tempted to purchase this for my future Xbox One S.
That's seems like a good price for that TV. Just don't expect too much from the HDR capabilities of that unit(or any other unit in that price range for that matter).

Anion

What's your price range?

Right now, nothing lol. But probably $1000 +/- 100 lol. I currently play on a Samsung UNES8000 60" so the next one hopefully will be 65+ (ideally ~70+). Spent a lot on that TV at the time and honestly wish I didn't lol

SaganIsGOAT

Yeah, it comes with 2TB model only.

Edit: Just cancelled my Amazon order (500GB) and got 2TB Ubi bundle instead. Awesome deal.

damnnn. goodness I am so indecisive on this but I was able to sell my old poopy xbox one for $220 before E3. I should just jump in this.

naitosan

damnnn. goodness I am so indecisive on this but I was able to sell my old poopy xbox one for $220 before E3. I should just jump in this.

Definitely should jump in. Heck, if you don't live in CA, that means no taxes for you. You can also sell those games to pay off the difference, making it cheaper than 500GB model. Too good to pass this up.

SaganIsGOAT

Definitely should jump in. Heck, if you don't live in CA, that means no taxes for you. You can also sell those games to pay off the difference, making it cheaper than 500GB model. Too good to pass this up.

Oregon here baby. Already living that tax free life lol

That's seems like a good price for that TV. Just don't expect too much from the HDR capabilities of that unit(or any other unit in that price range for that matter).

What do you mean about its HDR capabilities? Would HDR content be limited on this model? Thanks in advance.

So I got my Xbox One S, using a wired connection, and for some reason it keeps giving me connection problems, nearly every time I boot it up it just won't connect. All my other devices work fine, including the old Xbone, any ideas what's going on here? It connected fine using wifi, but it's having a hard time with the wired setup. Any ideas? Defective console?

Edit - Obviously I've refreshed the modem and router, no changes. I don't see anything wrong with the Ethernet cable either, this sucks...

Just got an Xbox one s. Plugged it directly into tv and enabled deep color. I have an E6. Went to video settings and had all green checks except 4K 50hz. Anyone know if this is correct for our tv or should all the checks be green? I'm in the USA.

dcx4610

Just got an Xbox one s. Plugged it directly into tv and enabled deep color. I have an E6. Went to video settings and had all green checks except 4K 50hz. Anyone know if this is correct for our tv or should all the checks be green? I'm in the USA.

4K 50hz is PAL (UK). You're good.

dcx4610

I'm loving the new controller and bought a second one for PC. Has anyone found a way to check the battery life on PC?

Hawk269

So I got my Xbox One S, using a wired connection, and for some reason it keeps giving me connection problems, nearly every time I boot it up it just won't connect. All my other devices work fine, including the old Xbone, any ideas what's going on here? It connected fine using wifi, but it's having a hard time with the wired setup. Any ideas? Defective console?

Edit - Obviously I've refreshed the modem and router, no changes. I don't see anything wrong with the Ethernet cable either, this sucks...

My wife's Xbox One S had that happen, what I did is hold the power button down for 10seconds and power down the unit. Then unplug the power cord from the back of the unit for a few minutes. Once we plugged it back in and rebooted the system everything has been fine.

dcx4610

I have an LG E6 which is a 10 bit panel I believe. I guess I should be setting this to 30?

Technically 30 but I've read in the past that setting it to 36 won't make you lose out on anything and helps with the processing of white and black balance. I don't know if there is any truth behind that though.

I know my TV (not 4k yet) will work in 36-bit mode but automatically converts to 8-bit. I'm sure most 4k TVs will do the same. Either way, as long as you at least set it to 30, you'll be good.

acksman

I had no plans to buy one of these, but with the GameStop trade in, I broke down and bought one. Man this thing feels so much faster than the OG. Also love the vertical stand.

Incredible deal. Better than the one on launch day for sure.

Wow, I already received my free Kinect adapter...I didn't even put in the request until Wedesday night.

The adapter itself comes in a pretty large box, and it's a hilarious mess of tentacle-like cables. But hey, it works and it's free!

Whenever I go into Netflix or Amazon, the app automatically goes into HDR, or atleast my tv is switching mode to hdr. Is that normal because on the apps on tv it doesn't switch to HDR unless the show is in HDR. I have an LG E6.

I folded like a cheap suit. I bought one for $174 after trade ins. :( I can't even afford this, I don't have a 4K TV, yet I bought it anyways.

I have no will power.

Hawk269

Whenever I go into Netflix or Amazon, the app automatically goes into HDR, or atleast my tv is switching mode to hdr. Is that normal because on the apps on tv it doesn't switch to HDR unless the show is in HDR. I have an LG E6.

Yeah, it should not be doing that. It does it on my Sony 4k set as well when launching Netflix. I hope they fix this because watching something that is non-hdr looks bad when HDR is forced and the content is not made for it. Basically everything is blown out. However, the stuff that is HDR looks fantastic.

Update: Im weak.

Deal Bundle will be here in 10 days. haha

I got mine in 2 days.

Anyway I am happy to find out that my TV (Samsung JU7100 ) supports all features including HDR. About to watch the Deadpool UHD... after RDR finishes downloading!

The dashboard looks way cleaner in 4k, and it looks quite a bit different, but I'm not sure if it's because of the new update or not (sold my old Xbox a couple of weeks ago).

Xbudz

I have the same TV as you so I'm curious of your impressions on how the games look upscaled and if the value was there. I have external storage already and an Elite controller, so the only reason I would be upgrading would be for the video features.

I have the same TV. Is S worth the upgrade?

Vizio M50-C1

Ok so I've had some time to flip between 1080p and 4k, comparing the difference of Vizio's spacial engine up-scaler and the Xbox One S up-scaler. I've decided that the Xbox One scaler is thankfully a bit higher quality. There are less rough edges.

The system itself seems to have an easier time at running games and is noticeable. Trackmania looks great and has much less screen tearing and looks great with the upscale, could also be the added power helping with the dynamic resolution in that game.

The Division also looked fantastic.

Overall, I'm happy with the X1S. It's really cute and looks great on screen and on the shelf.

I have yet to buy a Ultra HD 4K Blu-ray yet though.
I am leaning towards the Star Trek movies, but that will have to wait a bit for me.

Those with older 4K TV's like mine should rest easy.
HDR is surely a nice to have but don't let it keep you from enjoying the other benefits if you can't use it.

JoeLT

So I have a few questions:

1. The OS runs at 1080p, not 4K? Is this going to be fixed? Seems like a weird oversight.
2. The scaling from 1080p to 4K isn't nearest neighbour which is just a direct scale to 4K, is this true?
3. Has there been any mention of games supporting 4K? For example non-intensive platforms like Inside/Ori running at full 4K with HDR would be amazing. Or is it strictly video content?
4. Any word on Youtube updating with 4K and 60FPS support?

sadromeo

I am not sure if there is going to be or is a separate thread for compatible (i.e. all check marks marked during the X1s tv test) TVs with the X1s but I was looking at picking up the Samsung UN55KU6300 to go with it, to hopefully hit all the check marks and be future proof with the Scorpio and Neo coming up.

Has anyone tried this TV with an X1s yet and can post results? Should someone start a thread for that or will asking here suffice? Thanks!

Top Bottom