• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Wow, I could never do that for a console. I always try to buy in a brick and motor store and get a protection plan for it just in case. Especially first release versions. I know things can be patched and fixed with firmware updates now but I feel better knowing if something goes wrong, I can always return or exchange for another one.
Well there is Microsoft's 90 (60?) Day warranty included in every box-if there were a defective product. I used it myself when my launch Day one edition suffered the loud fan fate. I didn't need to provide any proof of purchase just swap out units via a sent coffin. Granted I had activated my console and had all my info on it-

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Anything I need to know about upgrading from the XBO to an XBO S
Can I just sign out of the old unit, reformat it, plug in the new one, sign in, and be good to go?

sadromeo

If I have both the X1 and the X1s and intend to use both (each are in separate rooms), I can just sign in to my X1s, download everything I have and still be able use both concurrently right?

DirtyLarry

Anything I need to know about upgrading from the XBO to an XBO S
Can I just sign out of the old unit, reformat it, plug in the new one, sign in, and be good to go?
You may also want to designate the new one your "Home Console" if you download stuff through XBox Live, etc.

Instructions here.

It does affect Game Sharing for other accounts so if you do a lot of that read about it before making your decision.

Ushay

Trying to stay strong, I want to wait for the Scorpio and possibly a cheaper PS4 (slim?). But god damn that S model is nice.

I game share with my brother. If I get the S will this affect anything? Could we just redo the set as home console process and should be all good to go?

FrankT

I am not sure if there is going to be or is a separate thread for compatible (i.e. all check marks marked during the X1s tv test) TVs with the X1s but I was looking at picking up the Samsung UN55KU6300 to go with it, to hopefully hit all the check marks and be future proof with the Scorpio and Neo coming up.

Has anyone tried this TV with an X1s yet and can post results? Should someone start a thread for that or will asking here suffice? Thanks!

Kind of interested in this TV as well with the S. I heard somewhere the HDR is limited on Sammys to 24hz movie mode or something. Not good for HDR games if so. Still though if anyone has any real world experience with this one.

This three week wait a little harder than I thought for the 500gb.

Spasm

Has anyone had trouble with the S dropping video signal constantly while in 4k? My monitor is a Samsung LU28E590DS/ZA, and I've already replaced it once. Happened on both monitors.

Funny thing is, after initial setup of each monitor, it was flawless. But if I ever turned the Xbox off, even in instant-on mode, the next time I powered on, it would again constantly drop video signal. Nothing I did could recover from this state, aside from getting a new monitor.

Tried to exchange my S, but they were out, so I just returned it. I'm currently S-less :(

psychotron

Just got one today. First impressions are that it's a really nice looking console, the controller changes are minimal but appreciated, and it's nice to put it vertical.

It IS louder from what I can tell. The fan in general is just a little louder than it was, but there's also a bit of a squeak to mine. If I can hear it after the kids go to bed tonight I'll be returning it.

clintar

The reason why the external is better is because the internal has disk access due to the os. This means that the read and write heads have to jump back and forth (literally) for os tasks. When you want to play a game, this adds to the disk access, meaning that access are likely all over the place.
If you have an external drive, the os still does its stuff on the internal and the game loading is now only on the external drive, thus not interferring with anything else which results in faster loading times.
I don't doubt there may be a tiny bit off contention with the os when using the internal, but i'm pretty sure there is just more bandwidth over the usb. Sata III internally would definitely allow better load times with a drive that supports the speeds

aaronwt

Can the Xbox One S support 4K mkv files? How well do they work?

Yes it does. I tried a bunch 4K MKV and 4K MP4 files and the the XBOne S played them fine. The issue is that it only played my 4K SDR files without issues. With the 4K HDR files it wouldn't play the video and only played audio from those.

DirtyLarry

An added bonus for the S is it has me resuming the Halo Guardians Campaign. What is crazy is I thought I was near the end back when it was released and I stopped playing but I see I am not even half way through.
It looks good though I can definitely say that. Will see if it picks up.

Anion

Another question, so right now I have kinect connected. When I say "Xbox on," the xbox turns on as well as the Samsung TV. I believe the X1S has the IR blaster built into it (?), so will the functionality still work if I do not plug the Kinect (with the new free adapter)?

The reason why the external is better is because the internal has disk access due to the os. This means that the read and write heads have to jump back and forth (literally) for os tasks. When you want to play a game, this adds to the disk access, meaning that access are likely all over the place.
If you have an external drive, the os still does its stuff on the internal and the game loading is now only on the external drive, thus not interferring with anything else which results in faster loading times.

Ah okay, that makes sense. When it comes, I'll compare load times for the X1S vs OG X1 vs external for Forza 5 and 6 lol.

SDMG

I want to try also. Guessing they deny the transaction, take your money, or score new Xbox for 32 bucks.

Im tempted as well the sold number is now at 68. This listing was just ended by the seller because there was an error in the listing.

Colbert

Banned
Another question, so right now I have kinect connected. When I say "Xbox on," the xbox turns on as well as the Samsung TV. I believe the X1S has the IR blaster built into it (?), so will the functionality still work if I do not plug the Kinect (with the new free adapter)?

Ah okay, that makes sense. When it comes, I'll compare load times for the X1S vs OG X1 vs external for Forza 5 and 6 lol.

Kinect:
You will lose the capability of voice commands if you operate your console without the Kinect including the voice command to turn it on. But when you turning on your Xbox One S with the On/Off button or a controller all your devices will still be turned on/off in sync with the console if configured so (with the built in IR blaster).

Load times:
Oh yes, please do that and post your results here.

I also have reached out to MS to get a confirmation on the used SATA (II or III) in the Xbox One S Southbridge.

Xbudz

Decided to make Star Trek my first 4K movie purchase. Will watch tonight when the sun goes down and post impressions of quality later.

I game share with my brother. If I get the S will this affect anything? Could we just redo the set as home console process and should be all good to go?
Yeah I'm curious about this also. Anyone done this? Do you need to set it back first or just re-set again with both accounts once you get the new box and have each other's set as your home.

Edit: also in this scenario you can't really take advantage of trading your exisiting box towards the S as it would break half your games access with your friend until you set it up again.

dareacher

Banned
hey all i own a samsung un65hu7250 and cant figure out if it is hdr10. when i go in settings of the xbox its blanked out but tells me to turn it on.....can any one help me figure this out please. checked online and cannot figure it out :(

MchugN

Why would you ever use paypal when you can get reward from your credit card? (and if your credit card doesn't offer reward, get one)

I've got one of my credit cards linked to paypal. I see it as another layer of protection, and also paypal is the only payment method accepted on many eBay auctions.

Well there is Microsoft's 90 (60?) Day warranty included in every box-if there were a defective product. I used it myself when my launch Day one edition suffered the loud fan fate. I didn't need to provide any proof of purchase just swap out units via a sent coffin. Granted I had activated my console and had all my info on it-

Isn't there a year warranty for these consoles. When I did my kinect adapter request it said warranty ends 10-17-17

t26

I've got one of my credit cards linked to paypal. I see it as another layer of protection, and also paypal is the only payment method accepted on many eBay auctions.

Doesn't matter because I didn't realized you were giving a scammer your mailing addressing and your (active) email address.

MchugN

ahhhh crap....so i got an xbox1s and wont be able to fully use its features? this really blows damnit

That really sucks, I'd be devastated. I somehow lucked out when I bought my 4k set last fall. When I purchased I knew nothing of HDR10, yet my set supports it after an update it received a little while back.

dareacher

Banned
That really sucks, I'd be devastated. I somehow lucked out when I bought my 4k set last fall. When I purchased I knew nothing of HDR10, yet my set supports it after an update it received a little while back.

soooo there is minimal hope i receive an update thatll enable it??? so your saying therrrres a chhhhannnnce??? lol

MchugN

Doesn't matter because I didn't realized you were giving a scammer your mailing addressing and your (active) email address.

I'm sorry but if you're so fucking concerned about my financial details then you can come on over help me balance my checking account.

psychotron

So it's not the fan making additional noise, but the hard drive. The fan is a bit louder than the OG, but the hard drive seems to be making a platter noise. Not hearing it from my seating position (9 feet away), so I can deal for now.

Hawk269

So it's not the fan making additional noise, but the hard drive. The fan is a bit louder than the OG, but the hard drive seems to be making a platter noise. Not hearing it from my seating position (9 feet away), so I can deal for now.

Yeah, I noticed that you can hear the Internal HDD accessing data a lot more than the original OG. I can only hear it if the room is silent, once playing a game even at moderately low volume I don't hear it at all, so it is not that big of a deal. Still loving the system. Very sleek and while not every game takes advantage of the improved performance, the few that I have that do it has been noticeable. It makes me wish they could of pushed the GPU a litte more and give more of a bump to the CPU. It seems like they have thermal headroom to have done it, but not sure how much louder it would of made the fan at full load. But with the die shrink, I am sure we could of had even more of a bump and a CPU bump.

Top Bottom