• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

DirtyLarry

0obiuhO.jpg

So I'm wondering if the Xbox One S even upscales games to 4K with these settings?

2015 4K Vizio FML
Know I am a little late, but I have a Vizio M65C1 from 2015, I get the same settings as you when I run the test, and I can confirm the One does upscales games to 2160p. I can also confirm it looks pretty damn good upscaled as well.
I posted about it a few pages back.
I too was initially terribly disappointed, I even posted about that in this thread as well, initially, as I was primarily focusing on media.
Playing Forza 6 however and seeing it was upscaling to 4K and how good it looked, especially when I had tried having my receiver do the upscaling months back and it was horrid and unplayable, has changed my mind a decent amount.

My copy of The Revenant 4K just arrived. I am going out for a day on the town with my wife right now, but no doubt later on today I will be checking it out and comparing it to the regular Blu Ray copy which I also own.

yeah I really dont get why the settings for Vizio TVs come up like this but Im watching Mad Max 4k and it definitely looks great. Not 100% sure about the game upscaling but it does say 2160 the entire time but the games look just about the same at least to me

Xbudz

lfBCH0U.jpg

The top line worries me a bit. It straight up says "You will not be able to play games at 4K"

I know it can though as I have a GTX970 and have been gaming in 4K on this set for months.
Yes. I'm using the proper port on my TV. It supports HDMI 2.0 and HDEC 2.2. The Xbox has 4K @ 60hz checked.

I think maybe Microsoft meant for that error to say "You will not be able to play games in 10bit color at 4K. "
Or perhaps, "Your TV's color range isn't optimal for 4K gaming, games may not look their best."

If they just block people from playing games in native 4K because of the color bits, that would be insane.

finalflame

I use the Amazon basics high speed HDMI cables. Those work for 4K HDR right?

The listing says 4K 30fps. That's not good enough right?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0052SCU8U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

You'd be safer just getting a pair of the latest standard Amazon Basics HDMI cables (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B014I8SSD0/?tag=neogaf0e-20) , which are guaranteed to support HDMI2.0 4K/60 and HDCP2.2, or use the cable that comes with the XBOX.

lfBCH0U.jpg

The top line worries me a bit. It straight up says "You will not be able to play games at 4K"

I know it can though as I have a GTX970 and have been gaming in 4K on this set for months.
Yes. I'm using the proper port on my TV. It supports HDMI 2.0 and HDEC 2.2. The Xbox has 4K @ 60hz checked.

I think maybe Microsoft meant for that error to say "You will not be able to play games in 10bit color at 4K. "
Or perhaps, "Your TV's color range isn't optimal for 4K gaming, games may not look their best."

If they just block people from playing games in native 4K because of the color bits, that would be insane.

Which TV do you have? We don't really know anything about 4K games on XBO yet, but it's not unfathomable that MS would lock out TVs without 10-bit color support from playing 4K games. I don't see a compelling reason why, but..you never know. Or maybe it has to do with the upscaler? Have you tried running a game and seeing if your TV is getting a 1080p or 4K signal?

God damn after playing with an Elite controller for a few months you just can't go back to a standard controller, even this new redesigned version feels so lightweight and cheap.

finalflame

God damn after playing with an Elite controller for a few months you just can't go back to a standard controller, even this new redesigned version feels so lightweight and cheap.

Do we know if they're gonna be making a bluetooth version of the Elite? I'd be so down for that.

Xbudz

Which TV do you have? We don't really know anything about 4K games on XBO yet, but it's not unfathomable that MS would lock out TVs without 10-bit color support from playing 4K games. I don't see a compelling reason why, but..you never know. Or maybe it has to do with the upscaler? Have you tried running a game and seeing if your TV is getting a 1080p or 4K signal?

4K Vizio M50-C1

My Xbox is up-scaling to 2160p already. I know it's early to worry about native 4K games on Xbox One- but they really need to be clear with that messaging, especially with Scorpio coming.

If they think I'm going to buy a new TV just to game in 4K on Xbox, when my PC is perfectly capable of doing so already- they have another thing coming.

So that's why I'm leaning on bad wording.

If I was to buy an Xbox One S can I take the external hard drive from my Xbox One and just plug it in to the S without losing any of the data on the drive and using it perfectly fine?

Since I know a lot of you guys have a copy of the Revenant 4k disc would any of you be willing to let the digital copy go for a few bucks?

finalflame

4K Vizio M50-C1

My Xbox is up-scaling to 2160p already. I know it's early to worry about native 4K games on Xbox One- but they really need to be clear with that messaging, especially with Scorpio coming.

If they think I'm going to buy a new TV just to game in 4K on Xbox, when my PC is perfectly capable of doing so already- they have another thing coming.

Yah that entire screen seems poorly worded, even though the idea behind it is good (to check your TV's capabilities).

so I need to get 4k/60hz cables right?

the ones I have cannot hit that, so I should probably replace them for the upscaling/inevitable scorpio purchase/maybe neo or whatever, yes?

(Don't want to use the one in the box)

ZOONAMI

It's noticeably lighter and cheaper feeling than my lunar controller too.

Why not? It does the job fine.

All of my consoles/systems use color coded cables to the back of my receiver/router so I can keep up with everything.

Green for Xbox, Blue for ps4, red for steamlink, etc.

I don't want a bunch of black cables going everywhere

though it looks like I dont' have a choice as the monoprice cables I have are only 4k@24hz and I can't find cables in other colors that can also do 4k 60

TalesFromHoth

Neo Member
4K Vizio M50-C1

I have the same TV as you so I'm curious of your impressions on how the games look upscaled and if the value was there. I have external storage already and an Elite controller, so the only reason I would be upgrading would be for the video features.

clintar

There is no SATA III controller in S... it uses SATA II like OG Xbox One.

Yeah, that page doesn't say it has SATA III.
ifixit said:
The One S packs a sweet SATA III drive, but it may still be using the SATA II interface of the original Xbox One. You can always add an external hard drive though, thanks Microsoft!

Maybe OP should be updated. Sad. I wish these updated consoles would use SATA III for sweet ssd speeds.

sadromeo

My copy of The Revenant 4K just arrived. I am going out for a day on the town with my wife right now, but no doubt later on today I will be checking it out and comparing it to the regular Blu Ray copy which I also own.

Yes please post impressions. Looking forward to this.

DirtyLarry

Post impressions! :)
Without any doubt whatsoever the 4K version is so much nicer looking. It is very clear.
From the opening 20th Century Logo screen to the title menu screen to the Anti-Piracy screen, finally to Scene 4, which I let play out in it's entirety, the 4K version is much crisper. Just way more intricate detail.

No doubt at all I will strictly be picking up any titles I can in 4k, and bear in mind I am not seeing the additional enhancements of HDR at all. My set does not support it. But it is no doubt that much nicer. I can truly only imagine how much nicer it looks with HDR.

With that said, I may go back and get one or two titles I currently own in 4K, but I am not going to go crazy. The regular BluRay upscaled from 1080p still looks pretty damn good on it's own.

But the difference is immediate and pretty significant.

sadromeo

Without any doubt whatsoever the 4K version is so much nicer looking. It is very clear.
From the opening 20th Century Logo screen to the title menu screen to the Anti-Piracy screen, finally to Scene 4, which I let play out in it's entirety, the 4K version is much crisper. Just way more intricate detail.

No doubt at all I will strictly be picking up any titles I can in 4k, and bear in mind I am not seeing the additional enhancements of HDR at all. My set does not support it. But it is no doubt that much nicer. I can truly only imagine how much nicer it looks with HDR.

With that said, I may go back and get one or two titles I currently own in 4K, but I am not going to go crazy. The regular BluRay upscaled from 1080p still looks pretty damn good on it's own.

Thanks so much DirtyLarry! I just picked up my xbox one s and Revenant to try it out myself. I actually had a hard time finding Revenant UHD at the BB I was at.

Hawk269

That is great to hear and glad more people are enjoying 4k movies. The difference is pretty large in some cases going from blu ray standard to 4k native.

Hawk269

Does anyone notice a smoother time playing games?

Oh yes. Prior to the DF article, I noticed this immediately when playing Elder Scrolls On-Line. There is a path in one of the areas that net me about 6-8 chests, about 10 nodes for metals, about 20-25 nodes for alchemy and about 8 nodes for Runes. I discovered this little path a long time ago and will use it at least once when I play the game, so I am familiar with how the performance is in this area. When I first played it with the "S" I immediately noticed that it just felt smoother overall, but I did not post about it because I wanted to have my wife which also plays the game to see if she felt it was a little smoother.

In another related topic, since my wife also plays games on her own Xbox One, she said she wanted a "S" for the living room as well since she liked the look of it and felt that the game felt smoother, so yesterday we picked up a second "S".

DirtyLarry

No problem at all! Absolutely enjoy. It is a way nicer console than the original launch one all the way around. That is for damn sure.

There is no doubt the first day or so I was skeptical about if I had upgraded for no good reason (beside the real obvious stuff like smaller footprint, no external power brick, etc.). But I have done a complete 180 and I am very happy I own it and not the launch model. The 4K support alone, even if it is not all of it, makes all the difference.

I can admit when I was wrong. And I was dead wrong with my initial impression. Which is why when I share my opinion on a game, etc, I usually share my initial impression then a week or so later, as things can, and usually do, change.

That is great to hear and glad more people are enjoying 4k movies. The difference is pretty large in some cases going from blu ray standard to 4k native.
I would imagine movies that are heavy on CGI, where resolution really comes into play, look stunning.

naitosan

sadromeo

No problem at all! Absolutely enjoy. It is a way nicer console than the original launch one all the way around. That is for damn sure.

There is no doubt the first day or so I was skeptical about if I had upgraded for no good reason (beside the real obvious stuff like smaller footprint, no external power brick, etc.). But I have done a complete 180 and I am very happy I own it and not the launch model. The 4K support alone, even if it is not all of it, makes all the difference.

I can admit when I was wrong. And I was dead wrong with my initial impression. Which is why when I share my opinion on a game, etc, I usually share my initial impression then a week or so later, as things can, and usually do, change.

Much appreciated impression and thoughts. I am going to find out myself today how good it is but having someone else say it does me makes look forward to it more.

I want to buy that Sammy 4k TV with HDR but I worry if another bit of technology is going to be released or updated before Scorpio and Neo release and if I should wait to buy another 4k TV then.

Either way, I will be enjoying the X1s, PS4 and PC on my Vizio 4kTV now.

DirtyLarry

Much appreciated impression and thoughts. I am going to find out myself today how good it is but having someone else say it does me makes look forward to it more.

I want to buy that Sammy 4k TV with HDR but I worry if another bit of technology is going to be released or updated before Scorpio and Neo release and if I should wait to buy another 4k TV then.

Either way, I will be enjoying the X1s, PS4 and PC on my Vizio 4kTV now.
My plan is to wait myself until the newer consoles are released.

Whether it is newer tech or a price drop, I think either is a good enough reason to wait, especially considering for myself the One is not my primary console for gaming right now. But really it comes down to I just think it makes more sense to wait and have more components that take advantage.

Truth is even with an outdated 4K TV by today's standards we are still ahead of the game on the technology side. I have to remind myself that is the case and it is okay to appreciate what one currently has and always chasing the best that is out there is a never ending cycle anyhow. But now I am getting a bit too deep about it all. Haha

Any one know if this LG 55UH7700 4K TV is any good for $799? It's currently a daily deal on Adorama via eBay (free shipping and no tax in some states).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/391518041600

Seems to have most of the bells and whistles:

4K Ultra HD (3840 x 2160)
TruMotion 240Hz
IPS Panel
HDR Super with Dolby Vision
True Black Panel
Quantum Display
Ultra Luminance
4K Upscaler
webOS 3.0

Really tempted to purchase this for my future Xbox One S.

Anion

Welp, just bought that Ubisoft package...
I do not have a 4K tv but hopefully Blackfriday or some other deals will arise.

Top Bottom