• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

c0de

So I have a few questions:

1. The OS runs at 1080p, not 4K? Is this going to be fixed? Seems like a weird oversight.

Not yet, ETA unknown.

2. The scaling from 1080p to 4K isn't nearest neighbour which is just a direct scale to 4K, is this true?

Where did you get this assumption? And how could one really check?
3. Has there been any mention of games supporting 4K? For example non-intensive platforms like Inside/Ori running at full 4K with HDR would be amazing. Or is it strictly video content?

No mention as of yet but MS said devs are free to use a 4k framebuffer.

4. Any word on Youtube updating with 4K and 60FPS support?

No.

Yeah, it should not be doing that. It does it on my Sony 4k set as well when launching Netflix. I hope they fix this because watching something that is non-hdr looks bad when HDR is forced and the content is not made for it. Basically everything is blown out. However, the stuff that is HDR looks fantastic.

Ok glad it's not just me. Hopefully fixed soon. I guess for now you can uncheck HDR until the app is updated.

I encountered a weird problem when watching Deadpool... after watching the movie for a bit then pausing it and resuming, the screen would often dim out after a while. It did it two or three times yesterday and was really annoying, the first time I didn't even notice it until I woke up and thought the screen looked really dark.

Anyway I am pretty sure that the dashboard does run in 4k... it looks noticeably sharper in the games tiles.

Rourkey

I encountered a weird problem when watching Deadpool... after watching the movie for a bit then pausing it and resuming, the screen would often dim out after a while. It did it two or three times yesterday and was really annoying, the first time I didn't even notice it until I woke up and thought the screen looked really dark.

Anyway I am pretty sure that the dashboard does run in 4k... it looks noticeably sharper in the games tiles.

You have the US equivilant of my TV the JU7000 does the hdr make any difference? cant quite figure out of the TV has it or whether I have to start saving for a new one! cheers

From what I've seen on my TV it does not make a huge difference, but I want to test out a few other movies first and maybe do some side by sides. I would say hold off buying a new TV, the JU7100 is barely a year old. I'm waiting for OLEDs to drop in price in mature in quality.

pitchfork

Well shit..

In town for some shopping, popped in my local GAME and they had 2 arrive on their delivery

Looks like they're possibly restocking, albeit in small quantities, in the UK

13920813_531043470417745_1689438577097353042_n.jpg

So much for holding out for the 500gb..

Caayn

Oh yes. Prior to the DF article, I noticed this immediately when playing Elder Scrolls On-Line. There is a path in one of the areas that net me about 6-8 chests, about 10 nodes for metals, about 20-25 nodes for alchemy and about 8 nodes for Runes. I discovered this little path a long time ago and will use it at least once when I play the game, so I am familiar with how the performance is in this area. When I first played it with the "S" I immediately noticed that it just felt smoother overall, but I did not post about it because I wanted to have my wife which also plays the game to see if she felt it was a little smoother.
Your post made me boot up ESO again just to see if you were right. Granted it's been a while since I played it but it seems to run better than I remember. Walking around in a city feels smoother, still not perfect but smoother. Which is strange as I'd expect ESO to be more CPU bound than GPU bound.

c0de

Your post made me boot up ESO again just to see if you were right. Granted it's been a while since I played it but it seems to run better than I remember. Walking around in a city feels smoother, still not perfect but smoother. Which is strange as I'd expect ESO to be more CPU bound than GPU bound.

Perhaps it was bandwidth bound.

DirtyLarry

I posted a question a few pages back about if anyone's TV was stopping the video for a split second, or as you said blacking out, while the audio continued.

I saw this same exact issue in the Preview Build of the Dashboard like a year or two ago now and it forced me to go back to the Stable Public Build. I am pretty damn sure it is the One and it needs to be addressed in a patch.

Does the way I describe it sound like the issue you had? I only have it on movies and TV. Games are fine.

EDIT - Reading through your post again it does not sound like the same issue I am having. My TV screen just goes black for a quick second, like it is trying to switch to another input (because I also see the quick "info" from my TV like Input, Etc.) but then it stops and the picture comes back on. It is all about a second long. Happens with no pattern to the frequency. It cannot happen for an hour then happen 5 times in a minute. I disabled CEC on everything, still does it.
It is literally the same exact issue I had in the Preview Build, but the weird thing there is all of my components, TV and Receiver, are different from when I had the issue back then.

Trup1aya

Is there any benefit to having a sub-1080p game upscaled to 4K.

My ignorant mind tells me it would make imperfections more obvious.

Enjoying the new Xbox One S a lot more than the old one, it just gathered dust for me thanks to the PS4. Main reason I got it was for UHD Blu Ray and I haven't been disappointed. I'm disappointed that Amazon hasn't updated their app for 4k or HDR yet, but that's no surprise seeing they don't usually add it for devices that don't have it out of the box.

Netflix is buggy though for me - enables HDR as soon as you load the app which means everything is over bright etc - should just be when HDR titles are played. I'm sure it'll get fixed as long as its not a system wide issue.

Anion

I have an odd question that probably was answered, but does the 2TB Slim have a faster internal hard drive than the Launch? Cause I remember I hooked my external raid 0 2TB HDD via USB and loading times decreased. I'm just wondering cause maybe now I can keep everything internally and use the external for other things

I have an odd question that probably was answered, but does the 2TB Slim have a faster internal hard drive than the Launch? Cause I remember I hooked my external raid 0 2TB HDD via USB and loading times decreased. I'm just wondering cause maybe now I can keep everything internally and use the external for other things

Very slightly but hardly noticeable

It sounds like it's going into screen saver mode. This is a OS bug that happened when the XBO first launched and I had it happen to me during the summer preview. Report it, and MS should fix eventually.

Whenever I go into Netflix or Amazon, the app automatically goes into HDR, or atleast my tv is switching mode to hdr. Is that normal because on the apps on tv it doesn't switch to HDR unless the show is in HDR. I have an LG E6.

Yeah same issue for me on a Samsung JS9000 - clearly the Netflix app (or a system wide issue)

Enjoying the new Xbox One S a lot more than the old one, it just gathered dust for me thanks to the PS4. Main reason I got it was for UHD Blu Ray and I haven't been disappointed. I'm disappointed that Amazon hasn't updated their app for 4k or HDR yet, but that's no surprise seeing they don't usually add it for devices that don't have it out of the box.

Netflix is buggy though for me - enables HDR as soon as you load the app which means everything is over bright etc - should just be when HDR titles are played. I'm sure it'll get fixed as long as its not a system wide issue.

Yeah both Amazon and Netflix go into HDR mode when you open the app. That's a bug that needs fixed.

I also noticed some judder on Amazon and Netflix that I don't experience on the apps directly on my tv.

Yeah both Amazon and Netflix go into HDR mode when you open the app. That's a bug that needs fixed.

I also noticed some judder on Amazon and Netflix that I don't experience on the apps directly on my tv.

Thought Amazon app hasn't been updated for 4k or HDR yet? seems strange its gone into HDR mode

Colbert

Banned

Theoretically the Xbox One S hdd has to be faster than the one in the Xbox One as it supports SATA III instead of SATA II in the launch console. Which makes it 2x times faster in theory because it uses 6GB/s instead of 3GB/s. Both built-in hdds though only rotate by 5400rpm. I would assume that hdd loading times of the internal drives compared to external now are more close to each other as USB 3.0 can maximally sport 5GB/s of bandwidth.

What I do not know is if the southbridge in the Xbox One S that did not change compared to the launch version supports SATA III though!

c0de

Theoretically the Xbox One S hdd has to be faster than the one in the Xbox One as it supports SATA III instead of SATA II in the launch console. Which makes it 2x times faster in theory because it uses 6GB/s instead of 3GB/s. Both built-in hdds though only rotate by 5400rpm. I would assume that hdd loading times of the internal drives compared to external now are more close to each other as USB 3.0 can maximally sport 5GB/s of bandwidth.

What I do not know if the southbridge in the Xbox One S that did not change compared to the launch version supports SATA III though!

People, please. It hurts my eyes, seriously. SATA 3 does *nothing* in this case.
USB is faster on the bone because it works exclusively for games while the internal doesn't. Also the rotation speed is also not a factor, access times are shit on typical hard drives, you can't change that. The problem the consoles have is not mass storage bandwidth.
Also, the s doesnt have SATA 3 - only the disk is but that's also not a problem.

Bgamer90

Banned
Anything under 1080p looks pretty bad from my experience.

It depends on the game in my opinion. Titanfall and Quantum Break look pretty bad on my 4K TV. SSX (2012; Xbox 360 backwards compatibility) and Mario Kart 8 looked okay. 900p games looked fine -- don't really notice a big difference in comparison to when I played them on my 4K TV.

I don't have the Xbox One S by the way -- simply saying this from playing games on my original Xbox One.

Colbert

Banned
People, please. It hurts my eyes, seriously. SATA 3 does *nothing* in this case.
USB is faster on the bone because it works exclusively for games while the internal doesn't. Also the rotation speed is also not a factor, access times are shit on typical hard drives, you can't change that. The problem the consoles have is not mass storage bandwidth.
Also, the s doesnt have SATA 3 - only the disk is but that's also not a problem.

If the southbridge is indeed still SATA-2 you are right that the internal SATA-3 drive doesnt do anything in regard of loading times.

But to say internal SATA-3 wouldn't benefit game loading times in any form is just BS regardless if the OS is on the internal disk or not.

Edit:
Btw the initial question was if the internal drive is now faster in the Xbox One S and clearly pointed out that it would be if the system itself would support SATA-3 which I also stated that I don't know exactly if that's the case.

Purest 78

It depends on the game in my opinion. Titanfall and Quantum Break look pretty bad on my 4K TV. SSX (2012; Xbox 360 backwards compatibility) and Mario Kart 8 looked okay. 900p games looked fine -- don't really notice a big difference in comparison to when I played them on my 4K TV.

I don't have the Xbox One S by the way -- simply saying this from playing games on my original Xbox One.

1080p scales well to 4k 900p just looks off imo.

c0de

If the southbridge is indeed still SATA-2 you are right that the internal SATA-3 drive doesnt do anything in regard of loading times.

But to say internal SATA-3 wouldn't benefit game loading times in any form is just BS regardless if the OS is on the internal disk or not.

It won't in any way as SATA 2 offers more bandwidth than a 2,5hdd can provide, same goes for sas drives. Even with an ssd, the gains would be rather small as ssds offer especially better access times, although benchmarks often only provide stats for bandwidth because this is easier for dick contests.
Of course it comes down to how a game is built: whether it's many small files which are to be read into RAM or only a few but big files.

Colbert

Banned
It won't in any way as SATA 2 offers more bandwidth than a 2,5hdd can provide, same goes for sas drives. Even with an ssd, the gains would be rather small as ssds offer especially better access times, although benchmarks often only provide stats for bandwidth because this is easier for dick contests.
Of course it comes down to how a game is built: whether it's many small files which are to be read into RAM or only a few but big files.

I am with you on that it depends how the data is distributed on the hdd (small number of big files or high number of small files) but SATA-3 is able to transfer more data in average than a SATA-2 drive. Btw the external drives suffers the exact same issues as the internal one, USB doesn't solve it!

I am finding that my new Xbox One S has been having some serious connectivity issues. I thought I had cured it with a power cycle restart very early on, but from the get-go I've had issues retrieving my Xbox One account, then when I finally powered through the various "service not available" errors and got lucky, downloads would crawl at only like 2mbps, then I power-cycled, and then I got a consistent 22mbps (my usual speed) for hours and managed to re-download a good number of my digital games from Xbox Live, but then for the next few days it has been crawling or just plain failing to connect again.

My laptop and PS4 have been working just fine in the meantime.

I wonder if my ISP got mad (Comcast) about the ~250GB worth of digital games I downloaded over the course of the last few days and is blacklisting my device? Is that a thing they can do? Is that a thing Comcast WOULD do? Seems like a Comcast thing.

And today, all of my games are finally finished downloading, and now despite a couple of power cycles, my controller seems to continuously disconnect OR my profile is getting booted out. This really sucks because I was in the middle of a 6-lap race in Forza 6 and my entire progress just got axed because of a profile sign out either caused by the controller or by my Xbox going weird -- I am hesitant to believe it's my controller because the light doesn't blink at all, it seems to maintain connection.

Getting kind of frustrated. My previous Xbox One did not have this issue whatsoever -- no controller connectivity, no slow downloads, etc...

So strange. So frustrating. Right now I'm looking at the circle loading screen for 2+ minutes trying to just sign in to my profile...

I am finding that my new Xbox One S has been having some serious connectivity issues. I thought I had cured it with a power cycle restart very early on, but from the get-go I've had issues retrieving my Xbox One account, then when I finally powered through the various "service not available" errors and got lucky, downloads would crawl at only like 2mbps, then I power-cycled, and then I got a consistent 22mbps (my usual speed) for hours and managed to re-download a good number of my digital games from Xbox Live, but then for the next few days it has been crawling or just plain failing to connect again.

I wonder if my ISP got mad (Comcast) about the ~250GB worth of digital games I downloaded over the course of the last few days and is blacklisting my device? Is that a thing they can do? Is that a thing Comcast WOULD do? Seems like a Comcast thing.

And today, all of my games are finally finished downloading, and now despite a couple of power cycles, my controller seems to continuously disconnect OR my profile is getting booted out. This really sucks because I was in the middle of a 6-lap race in Forza 6 and my entire progress just got axed because of a profile sign out either caused by the controller or by my Xbox going weird -- I am hesitant to believe it's my controller because the light doesn't blink at all, it seems to maintain connection.

Getting kind of frustrated. My previous Xbox One did not have this issue whatsoever -- no controller connectivity, no slow downloads, etc...

So strange. So frustrating. Right now I'm looking at the circle loading screen for 2+ minutes trying to just sign in to my profile...

I can usually download around 70mbs on Xbox One S most of the time - but putting it into energy saving mode and loading it up again later and ill be stuck at around 10mbs until I restart the Xbox One S - seems like a software issue that can hopefully be fixed.

I cancelled my 500gb pre-order and just bought the 2tb at gamestop. Absolutely no bonuses but I had $360 in trade credit so whatever

My tv has all check boxes for 4k so that's cool

We bought 6 UHD movies and started the Martian last night and holy shit

No HDR games are out yet right?

Colbert

Banned

Some weeks ago I had strange network issues too (for several weeks) and I pointed to MS to blame them because I thought they introduced a bug with one of the preview builds. I made dozens of reports of that issue and eventually I contacted their support. Within 24 hours we were able to find the root cause for it!

The result: It was an issue on my side of the fence. A hub that I used for about 10 years was not working correctly anymore. By replacing it with a new one all was fine again.

Long story short: Contact the Xbox support (even by twitter) and they help you to solve your issues.

Some weeks ago I had strange network issues too (for several weeks) and I pointed to MS to blame them because I thought they introduced a bug with one of the preview builds. I made dozens of reports of that issue and eventually I contacted their support. Within 24 hours we were able to find the root cause for it!

The result: It was an issue on my side of the fence. A hub that I used for about 10 years was not working correctly anymore. By replacing it with a new one all was fine again.

Long story short: Contact the Xbox support (even by twitter) and they help you to solve your issues.

Welp, just did everything under the sun and everything seems to be working fine.

I (a) restarted my router. (b) Power cycled my Xbox One (powered down by holding power button, AND unplugged the power supply for about 30 seconds). (c) resynced my controller. (d) used my phone to connect to 4G hotspot briefly so it would "forget" my WiFi, and then reconnected to my normal WiFi.

So far, so good. I did get the sign-out/controller disconnect error once when I changed from my 4G to the regular WiFi again, but ever since, I've booted up Rise of the Tomb Raider and played 20 minutes without any issues. Hoping it persists. Nothing currently in download queue.

I am thinking of upgrading. Partially because I need a bigger HD on the Xbox One I have now. I would like to go fully digital. So, I have Xbox Live Gold, and obviously downloaded games for free (Sunset Overdrive, Tomb Raider, etc), so these games will be linked to my account still, right? I asked a similar question before, but want to make sure I will still have those games on the new S.

Colbert

Banned
Welp, just did everything under the sun and everything seems to be working fine.

I (a) restarted my router. (b) Power cycled my Xbox One (powered down by holding power button, AND unplugged the power supply for about 30 seconds). (c) resynced my controller. (d) used my phone to connect to 4G hotspot briefly so it would "forget" my WiFi, and then reconnected to my normal WiFi.

So far, so good. I did get the sign-out/controller disconnect error once when I changed from my 4G to the regular WiFi again, but ever since, I've booted up Rise of the Tomb Raider and played 20 minutes without any issues. Hoping it persists. Nothing currently in download queue.

Good luck!

I also was thinking I had done everything including power cycling all devices. What we found out was that my hub was working correctly after the power cycling for some time but then start to bugging. If your issue comes back I highly recommend to contact Xbox support!

Please Best Buy, come up with a bundle for today/tomorrow!

My XB1 was stolen from my apartment about three weeks ago, leaving an empty place in my heart and free time. Now I can't stop reading this thread for impressions, lol.

That Newegg deal is killer, but having it in person sooner would be so much better.

JoeLT

Not yet, ETA unknown.

Where did you get this assumption? And how could one really check?

No mention as of yet but MS said devs are free to use a 4k framebuffer.

No.

The Eurogamer review mentioned the internal scaling produced poorer results than the native nearest neighbour scaling their 4K TV did on a 1080p input. It was only briefly mentioned and I hope there isn't any weird upscaling algorithms going on like the launch sharpening and "pop" filter.

Anion

I am thinking of upgrading. Partially because I need a bigger HD on the Xbox One I have now. I would like to go fully digital. So, I have Xbox Live Gold, and obviously downloaded games for free (Sunset Overdrive, Tomb Raider, etc), so these games will be linked to my account still, right? I asked a similar question before, but want to make sure I will still have those games on the new S.

A bit confused? Your asking if the digital games already downloaded to your Xbox One (on your Xbox Live/Microsoft account) will show up on your new slim? Yes, undoubtedly it will. Matter fact I'm pretty sure it will show up in the games "ready to download" section along with all your digital X360 games and demos

Edit:
Btw the initial question was if the internal drive is now faster in the Xbox One S and clearly pointed out that it would be if the system itself would support SATA-3 which I also stated that I don't know exactly if that's the case.

Very slightly but hardly noticeable
Thank you guys! Sorry for starting a mini debate lol

So if I'm understanding correctly, the basic conclusion is that at best - the Slim will have a slightly faster hard drive but it is still limited by the same restrictions of the OG Launch? So my external might still be better in terms of performance?

Hooray! I got the Xbox One S and Pioneer SC/95 to play nice!

It was definitely a misconfiguration on my SC-95. Pioneer and I figured it out after starting fresh from a factory reset. I had my Main/HDZone Zone setup configured to "Main," as I was originally using HDMI Output 3, as well as HDMI Output 2. Switching it back to HDZONE corrected the output.

These are the steps I took to reconfigure that setting:

System Setup
Other Setup
Zone Setup
Main/HDZone
Output Setting > HDZONE

I lose the ability to output on HDMI 3, but I've no need for that anymore (I was initially sending the signal to my P65-C1's HDMI Input 5, as well as HDMI Input 2).

So, great news! Another firm confirmation the SC-95 seems to be HDMI 2.0a compliant. :)

I fully take the blame on this for not quite fully understanding what Main/HDZone did.

webkatt

If anybody is still on the fence about buying an S, this guy is apparently selling them for only $32. What a deal! Lol

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Xbox-One-S-2TB-Launch-Edition-Sunset-Overdrive-12-Month-Live-Membership-/172295794797?hash=item281da1306d:g:gt4AAOSw3xJXpgC6

Should I tempt it? How's PayPal/eBay buyer protection?

Unfortunately, you can’t use a credit or debit card to pay for this order. This option might be unavailable if:
We don’t accept credit or debit card purchases on this country’s site
A seller doesn’t accept credit or debit cards
You've applied a gift card, coupon, eBay Bucks, or donation

c0de

Thank you guys! Sorry for starting a mini debate lol

So if I'm understanding correctly, the basic conclusion is that at best - the Slim will have a slightly faster hard drive but it is still limited by the same restrictions of the OG Launch? So my external might still be better in terms of performance?

The reason why the external is better is because the internal has disk access due to the os. This means that the read and write heads have to jump back and forth (literally) for os tasks. When you want to play a game, this adds to the disk access, meaning that access are likely all over the place.
If you have an external drive, the os still does its stuff on the internal and the game loading is now only on the external drive, thus not interferring with anything else which results in faster loading times.

sadromeo

I did, why not. Always PayPal.

Wow, I could never do that for a console. I always try to buy in a brick and motor store and get a protection plan for it just in case. Especially first release versions. I know things can be patched and fixed with firmware updates now but I feel better knowing if something goes wrong, I can always return or exchange for another one.

Top Bottom