• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Memory

Alright peeps Just picked up my new S for the low today at BB. How do erase and de associate my account with my old one so I can sell it? Just want to make sure Im doing it right, thanks for any help!

Go to account, then select remove me from this Xbox one. Alternatively you can do it though your browser on phone or pc. Go to account than my devices and deactivate the one you want to sell.

Edit: Doing it in your browser is also a good reminder to register your X1 and/or check how much warranty you have left.

Go to account, then select remove me from this Xbox one. Alternatively you can do it though your browser on phone or pc. Go to account than my devices and deactivate the one you want to sell.

Edit: Doing it in your browser is also a good reminder to register your X1 and/or check how much warranty you have left.

I appreciate you! thanks

Wuiji

Set up my Xbox One S today and played a little bit of FIFA and NHL on EA Access to test out the new controller. On my Xbox One I'd get semi-frequent controller disconnections on a daily basis.

The OS seems a little bit more slick, not enough to say it's a marked improvement, but it certainly feels just a little bit quicker to me. The new controller is quite nice, I like the textured grip. I never had a problem with the shoulder buttons before, so I still use them the same way and there are no issues there.

Just plugged in my external hard drive from the other Xbox One and my games were good to go. My only real complaint is that the power cable you get with the Xbox One S is considerably shorter than the Xbox One power brick/cable combo, so I had to go and buy a longer cable from a local store. Other than that, very pleased with my purchase. It's just as quiet as the Xbox One, much smaller and clearly more aesthetically pleasing.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Well managed to sell my old XB1 so opened this bad boy up. Oh man its fucking sexy and I love the new changes to the controller. I'm waiting now for the Design Lab to arrive in the UK so I can make an orange controller to go along with the white setup. Noise doesn't seem any different.

Looks great on the desk and I love that the power brick is now gone, allows me to push it back a bit further to match up with the PS4. Glad I bought it now even though its my third XB1 lol. Now to check out some new TVs.

Xenoflare

Would you recommend just sticking with a black one then due to this cause that would drive me crazy.

I'd say yes, I am very surprised that the yellowing is already showing and it's not even 2 months old yet, the yellowing is the worst where my palms rest, I just realized that this the first pure white controller I owned, it's really jarring to see parts of the thing still white but the grips are yellow.

I'm waiting for those S revision black ones to come up and get that then, god knows how this white controller is going to look throughout the year

Jamex RZ

Banned
I don't know what setting, if that is the case. The TV tells me it's displaying at 3480x2160p@24Hz when I play the 4K disc. And the Xbox tells me it's at 2160p.

I have to plug it in through HDMI 4 because, despite the other HDMIs being able to display UHD colour etc, only HDMI 4 has HDCP 2.2, so the Bluray will not play on the other inputs - it tells me the HDCP is stopping it. Stupidly, HDMI 4 has HDCP but not UHD Deep Colour. I don't know if that makes a difference, because it's not like it has HDR anyway.

Long story short: honestly I can't see any discernible difference at all between the UHD disc and the HD disc, despite it telling me it's in 4K, and I don't know why.

This is my TV, for the record. Early 4K model I know, but I needed a new TV in December 2014 and was trying to future-proof: http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue55hu8500-review

Can any Gaffer help me?

Check with Samsung. I know they sell updated/upgraded connect boxes that may upgrade your HDMI and may even get you hdr.

http://www.samsung.com/us/televisio...3500u-one-connect-evolution-kit-sek-3500u-za/

Xenoflare

Weird. I have had my Xbox One S 2TB since the day it came out on Aug 2nd, no issues at all with yellowing of my controller. Did you leave it outside in the sun for a week or so?

Nope, I keep it in a drawer, the front is white but the grips themselves are very obviously yellowing

Chairhome

What is the best way to transfer data from an old Xbox one to an S? Should I just login with each gamer tag and let it sync? Or should I transfer to an had and transfer that way? Is there an easy way to do that?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
What is the best way to transfer data from an old Xbox one to an S? Should I just login with each gamer tag and let it sync? Or should I transfer to an had and transfer that way? Is there an easy way to do that?

Use an external hard drive. Copy your games to the external HDD and just hook it up to the S model and voila all your games are there.

Couldn't be simpler.

Xbudz

I don't know what setting, if that is the case. The TV tells me it's displaying at 3480x2160p@24Hz when I play the 4K disc. And the Xbox tells me it's at 2160p.

I have to plug it in through HDMI 4 because, despite the other HDMIs being able to display UHD colour etc, only HDMI 4 has HDCP 2.2, so the Bluray will not play on the other inputs - it tells me the HDCP is stopping it. Stupidly, HDMI 4 has HDCP but not UHD Deep Colour. I don't know if that makes a difference, because it's not like it has HDR anyway.

Long story short: honestly I can't see any discernible difference at all between the UHD disc and the HD disc, despite it telling me it's in 4K, and I don't know why.

This is my TV, for the record. Early 4K model I know, but I needed a new TV in December 2014 and was trying to future-proof: http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue55hu8500-review

Can any Gaffer help me?

Most UHD movies aren't even in 4K, they take a page out of Sony's book and are close to 2K with upscaling.

Some are indeed 4K though, such as the Star Trek movies.

Also worth noting, your TV will do a great job at upscaling regular Blu Ray to 4K, so the comparison from Blu Ray to UHD will be spoiled.

Jamex RZ

Banned
The white controller is extremely susceptible to yellowing :[

Weird. Been using mine for a while and its not doing that. Could be because im a germaphobic lol and I wash my hands a lot, hand sanitizer etc. Could be yellowing due sweat (some people's is more acidic), greasy hands etc???

Xenoflare

Weird. Been using mine for a while and its not doing that. Could be because im a germaphobic lol and I wash my hands a lot, hand sanitizer etc. Could be yellowing due sweat (some people's is more acidic), greasy hands etc???

Sweat could be it, didn't notice this until I see it in day light. At night since the light is the room is yellow you barely notice it.

If it is then it's a problem of eventuality, you can be obsessed with handling it, but since where your palm rest will always have some moisture and warmth so it's a just matter of time

And etta, the white plastic now are supposedly more resistant to UV degradation, oils in our skin can still ruin it.

I just wasn't expecting this to happen so fast

Jamex RZ

Banned
Sweat could be it, didn't notice this until I see it in day light. At night since the light is the room is yellow you barely notice it.

If it is then it's a problem of eventuality, you can be obsessed with handling it, but since where your palm rest will always have some moisture and warmth so it's a just matter of time

And etta, the white plastic now are supposedly more resistant to UV degradation, oils in our skin can still ruin it.

I just wasn't expecting this to happen so fast

Maybe worth getting some controller skins then. They're also releasing custom colors, are those the new one s controller designs?

I'm trying to think of a reason to buy a One S. I have a very capable PC and PS4, so the only reasons I can think of to get a One S would be for the exclusives, and 4K Blu-ray. My only issue is the lack of exclusives, as all future Xbox One exclusives will also come to Windows 10. So my question is, what released exclusives are worth getting on the Xbox One?

I have a Gears Xbox s on pre-order and have a question about headphone and microphone usage. I have the 2013 version of the astro mixamp hooked up to my ps4 via optical cable and usb to my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones and Antlion Audio ModMic. Both are connected via 3.5 mm connection to the mixamp. I'm finding conflicting information on the best way to run a setup for audio and voice chat.

Xbox doesn't allow voice over usb, so I'm wondering if it I can run the mic to the pro controller and audio to the mixamp to use this setup?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I have a Gears Xbox s on pre-order and have a question about headphone and microphone usage. I have the 2013 version of the astro mixamp hooked up to my ps4 via optical cable and usb to my Sennheiser HD 598 headphones and Antlion Audio ModMic. Both are connected via 3.5 mm connection to the mixamp. I'm finding conflicting information on the best way to run a setup for audio and voice chat.

Xbox doesn't allow voice over usb, so I'm wondering if it I can run the mic to the pro controller and audio to the mixamp to use this setup?

I have the same setup. I have the A40 headphones plugged into the mixamp Headset port and a 3.5mm to 2.5mm cable going from the Controller connection on the amp to the controller.

Under the Xbox guide settings you can then adjust game audio/voice to suit what you need or plug in the optical from the XB1 to the amp. The sound is better but if you don't want to keep swapping cables out the audio from the controller is fine.

Or the easiest you can just plug the headphones right into the controller. Sound quality shouldn't be any different.

Dmi3k

When you connect the Xbox One S to a 4K TV, do you stop seeing the individual pixels on the display?

I'm on a 1080p TV right now, and if I get close to the screen, I can see the grid of pixels. Would this be different if I connected the Xbox to a 4K display?

LAA

Decided to bite on the £199 X1S Fifa bundle from Amazon. Ended up pretty good for me in the end. Sold my original X1 for £107. One problem however... got the bundle, no Fifa/EA Access code inside :(, which I was planning to sell.
Of course through customer service chat, I was just passed to another company Xbox > Amazon > EA > back to Amazon. Finally ended in Amazon saying they would get me a code within two days, so fingers crossed.
Only wish the X1S came in black, would probably hide the circular fan on the right side better too, but it looks/feels so much smaller, and the controller is even slightly better than the elite controller in one regard, and that's the bumpers. They feel smaller, smoother and more clickable than the elite ones.

harz-marz

Can't wait to get my One S delivered. Any advice on external HDDs? Assuming that any will work, is there a particular type I should be asking for

Chorazin

the controller is even slightly better than the elite controller in one regard, and that's the bumpers. They feel smaller, smoother and more clickable than the elite ones.

Funny, I was just telling my GF I feel the opposite about the bumpers! They feel hollow and plasticy to me on the new controller, and more solid on the Elite. Decent click though, I'll give the new controller that. It's definitely better than the OG controller we had for a while now.

Can't wait to get my One S delivered. Any advice on external HDDs? Assuming that any will work, is there a particular type I should be asking for

I have this one from Seagate and it's awesome. Read and write speeds are super fast, haven't had a single problem with it!

LAA

Funny, I was just telling my GF I feel the opposite about the bumpers! They feel hollow and plasticy to me on the new controller, and more solid on the Elite. Decent click though, I'll give the new controller that. It's definitely better than the OG controller we had for a while now.

Yeah, I mean with the elite controller I still like it better overall of course with th4 paddles, awesome texture it has all over, but I think the new controller had a little of an edge with the bumpers. They seemed to require less distance to push down and seem smaller. Even the elite bumpers are plastic though, which is a shame as I thought they would be metal.
Only going to hope this yellowing doesnt happen with it ha ha. I think 360 white controllers and even the console went yellowish to a point but may depend on the person. My brothers controllers seem to end in a worse state than mine do in the same time and I probably play just as much if not more, than he does.

LAA

The S doesn't have a huge download to do upon setup luke the OG X1 did, does it ?

Mine just had to download a 1GB update and then it carried on through the set up.
Have to say I was amazed with how quick and easy it was set everything up again.
If you backed up all the games from the previous one to an external HDD, they just work on the new one and can transfer whatever you want over again. Same with signing into your account again. Got all my pins and my background back. Only little annoyance is I had to register the new console to the preview dashboard again so gonna take a while for that to go through.

Dominator

I'd say yes, I am very surprised that the yellowing is already showing and it's not even 2 months old yet, the yellowing is the worst where my palms rest, I just realized that this the first pure white controller I owned, it's really jarring to see parts of the thing still white but the grips are yellow.

I'm waiting for those S revision black ones to come up and get that then, god knows how this white controller is going to look throughout the year
I've played a LOT of my console since I got it, probably 150 hours or so since it's come out, and my controller looks like how it did right out of the box.

pieface

Sold my old Xbox for £108.

Bought the FIFA Xbox One S bundle for £200

Would have spent £40 on FIFA anyway...

Got the 4K, HDR and 4K Bluray player for £52. Not bad. Happy with that :)

Vuze

The S doesn't have a huge download to do upon setup luke the OG X1 did, does it ?
Had to do a 1GB update for me. If I'm not mistaken, it recognized itself as Xbox One S after that. Before the update it showed an image of the OG Xbox One during the setup process.

Xenoflare

I've played a LOT of my console since I got it, probably 150 hours or so since it's come out, and my controller looks like how it did right out of the box.

That's great, but my experience showed that it is a definite possibility that the controller will yellow, being pure white and all, the middle portion where the battery door is is white but the two grips on the back needs bleach

Has anyone noticed that sound effects that are made when navigating the Xbox UI have a static/popping sound?

I am noticing this on the Xbox One S, never noticed it on my original console. Tried it on multiple TVs and audio receivers with the same effect. It happens when set to any audio output mode on the system.

Xenoflare

Has anyone noticed that sound effects that are made when navigating the Xbox UI have a static/popping sound?

I am noticing this on the Xbox One S, never noticed it on my original console. Tried it on multiple TVs and audio receivers with the same effect. It happens when set to any audio output mode on the system.

Yes, only if the volume is too high, I use the headphone jack on it exclusively so in order to hear that pop RIP my ears, it doesn't bother me though

Just got my console!

Sold my old X1, and bought the Fifa bundle for 249 swiss francs. I'll sell the game code and I practically have a free upgrade.

It looks so nice sitting together with my japanese DC. Easily the two best consoles ever made, as far as design goes.

My S arrived today. I really love the design. Looks great in white and it's ten times better looking than the original. After three years I'm finally a two console man.

So coming from PS4 only, I have a list of

FH3
MCC
Halo 5
Gears Ultimate
Gears 4

Have I missed any exclusive stuff?

I'm new to the console as well but Quantum Break and Sunset Overdrive look interesting too.

phant0m

So coming from PS4 only, I have a list of

FH3
MCC
Halo 5
Gears Ultimate
Gears 4

Have I missed any exclusive stuff?

FH2
Sunset Overdrive (I didn't really care for it)
Quantum Break (also didn't really care for it)
Recore (bad reviews, but users seem to like it better than the press)

As I said, they look pretty awesome together:

0esaz.jpg

Top Bottom