• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Boss Man

I wish FFXIV would finally make its way to Xbox so I could pull the trigger on one of these and get rid of my PS4. I can't justify owning an Xbox and PS4 at the same time with how similar the platforms are, and I have a 4K HDR TV that would appreciate the ability to play some UHD blurays. I'm also kind of put out with Sony for continuing to fumble PSN and having the balls to raise the price on it. I'm pretty positive that I'm going to move to Scorpio next year, so I'm ready to switch platforms now. FFXIV is almost all I play though. I'm going to be bummed if I end up having to go with the PS4 Pro (I've got to upgrade, can't let my 4K TV get bored).

madmackem

Got mine hmmm while it looks nicer the trade off is the noise, I can hear the fan whirling from across the room, my old bone was whisper quite and it was my day one edition launch day unit.

Oh hey you ended up getting it, eh? 👏👏

Yeah, after selling my original, I paid maybe 10 bucks for it after some slickdealing on that Walmart bundle. Figured at that rate, it was worth it for the asthetics alone. It's a beautiful system.

We should play something some time.

styl3s

Got mine hmmm while it looks nicer the trade off is the noise, I can hear the fan whirling from across the room, my old bone was whisper quite and it was my day one edition launch day unit.
I couldn't tell the difference between the 2 when testing both the S only ran like 3-4dB louder but i also have a giant desk that houses all my consoles and computers so i have become immune to noise i don't notice it.

There is a decent change in heat which i appreciate considering all the electronics in this home office makes it feel like a goddamn sauna sometimes. Gotta get that window AC in soon.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
Did anyone else have trouble getting the 4k row to show up on the Netflix app? It works just fine on the TV app but not the One S for some reason...

f@luS

More than a member.
Does anybody have some issue with uhd playback ? I have two uhd that freeze sometimes within the first minutes of play then it's ok after. Is that normal ?
-and I just check by clicking on right stick that it's around 40-60mbps. Is that normal I though it was much higher ?
Anyone ?

madmackem

Also I turned on my Xbox to be met with your tv can support 4K would you like to change to this res? Hmm unless someone snuck in overnight and swapped out my tv for a 4K one it's the same tv that it's always been connected too.

Ushay

I can barely hear mine, then again I use headphones half the time. In the evening when I watch Netflix etc it's perfectly fine, huge improvement over the noisy ass power brick fan from before.

I have an older 4k model that has no HDR setting, unfortunately I can't turn on 'Ultra Deep Colour' setting and have the Xbox pickup the signal too :( .. will likely upgrade next year to KS8000, hopefully the prices are reasonable by then.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Keep getting the error message 'xxx took to long to start...' on everything now. Was working fine a couple of hours ago. Any suggestions?

Just got my Xbox One S yesterday. Just a quick question: (and this is my first Xbone) is it normal that when I "turn off" my console, the fan is still going on and making a somewhat loud noise. And it just won't turn off! I went to sleep, came back in the morning, and there it is, just whirling loudly. And when I said loudly, I mean compared to PS4 in standby mode.

When I play a game or watch a blu-ray, the Xbox One S is less loud than the PS4, so that's great. But I don't know wtf is going on when I turn off the console. Oh, and I tried with both power "modes" as well, but it's the same...

Nitty_Grimes

What have you purchased game wise to go with it, is it that downloading in the background?

Also, is it still doing its updates? Got my s yesterday and have had about 4 updates so far, last one was 4 gig.

madmackem

Just got my Xbox One S yesterday. Just a quick question: (and this is my first Xbone) is it normal that when I "turn off" my console, the fan is still going on and making a somewhat loud noise. And it just won't turn off! I went to sleep, came back in the morning, and there it is, just whirling loudly. And when I said loudly, I mean compared to PS4 in standby mode.

When I play a game or watch a blu-ray, the Xbox One S is less loud than the PS4, so that's great. But I don't know wtf is going on when I turn off the console. Oh, and I tried with both power "modes" as well, but it's the same...
No the fan should go off even if you have it in standby mode.

What have you purchased game wise to go with it, is it that downloading in the background?

Also, is it still doing its updates? Got my s yesterday and have had about 4 updates so far, last one was 4 gig.

It did some initial updates. Then I installed/updated Halo 5, but when I turned it off it wasn't updating anything any more, at least not visibly.

Ok thanks for the info! Now I'm starting to get worried...

Just got a One S today, my first XBONE along with a new TV.

I have an i5/970 oc PC in my setup already, but the UHD blu-ray player sold me. You lost at least one sale Sony - I would have held out if the PS Pro had UHD BD.

Cool to see RDR and a couple of my old digital 360 games supported. Went from never playing Halo to owning all of them, lol. Wish more 360 games worked though. Only one or two of my 20ish games are supported.

Now I find myself seriously debating whether to blow an extra $50 to get Forza Horizon 3 early for the weekend, lol

Buy Forza 3 and enjoy the weekend :)

//DEVIL//

That is not correct. The fan will still go on at lower speed if it's downloading and installing something. Both original and S model do the same. It's just different noise level than when it's on because it's at very low speed

madmackem

That is not correct. The fan will still go on at lower speed if it's downloading and installing something. Both original and S model do the same. It's just different noise level than when it's on because it's at very low speed
I've never heard a fan on either console when they are in standby mode.

Does anyone else have an issue with the noise this thing makes? The fan on mine (brand new from the shop yesterday) makes a slight buzzing noise. It's not terrible but it's annoying. Should I take it back and get a replacement?

madmackem

Does anyone else have an issue with the noise this thing makes? The fan on mine (brand new from the shop yesterday) makes a slight buzzing noise. It's not terrible but it's annoying. Should I take it back and get a replacement?
See a few posts up I've found mine the 500g version is way louder than my launch day xbone.

theDeeDubs

I'd take it back. The S I got last week is as quiet as my launch unit (can't hear it from where I sit). Last Black Friday, I ordered another XB1 for my bedroom, and got my sisters two for their sons; two of those three ended up with the weirdest fan/hdd whir however. I wish I had returned those two because my launch unit, that third one, and this new S I got are whisper quiet.

f@luS

More than a member.
Does anybody have some issue with uhd playback ? I have two uhd that freeze sometimes within the first minutes of play then it's ok after. Is that normal ?
-and I just check by clicking on right stick that it's around 40-60mbps. Is that normal I though it was much higher ?

anyone? :D

Nitty_Grimes

Mine is whisper quiet.

Do they still use ball bearings in the fans? Maybe its that you can hear if one is a bit off centre so to speak?

dealer-

Just picked mine up and there is a constant clicking sound, assume it's the hdd or fan. Will see if it changes over the weekend but looks like it's going back.

Hey guys does anyone know what for cable the xbox one s uses for power?
I think i just lost my cable and would like to buy/order a replacement.

Nitty_Grimes

You know if you were mad enough to void your warranty, could you put a bigger (as in storage size) hard drive inside the console?

There is a 4tb laptop drive you can get, it wont fit in the PS4 unless you seriously piss about however watching a tear down of the s, it looks like there is actual space to put the 4tb drive in, I just wondered though whether it would be DOA when you power back on as with it being Windows 10 kernal, its looking for it to boot off.

The PS4 you can put the firmware on a card, can this be done with the X1 s?

I know there are USBs, I am just wondering.

Rourkey

Got my one S, pretty annoyed that the HDMI pass through doesnt pass through 4k, so I cant plug my Sky Q UHD box into it, was looking forward to having the TV running through the xbox again.

Also pretty frustrated dealing with Xbox support, took 30 mins to get a Kinect cable sent through to me, it was like I was the first person to ever ask

Danny 117

Anyone have any recommendations for an enclosure for an external SSD? My current SSD keeps disconnecting from my Xbox One and I'm putting it down to the enclosure.
Haven't tried it on my Xbox One S, mind you.

Anyone have any recommendations for an enclosure for an external SSD? My current SSD keeps disconnecting from my Xbox One and I'm putting it down to the enclosure.

I use an Inateck brand from amazon for my 120gb ssd on a macbook to store steam games and it works great.

Danny 117

I use an Inateck brand from amazon for my 120gb ssd on a macbook to store steam games and it works great.
Sounds good my only problem is that I want an enclosure that doesn't have too much power draw that the Xbox One couldn't handle. Don't know what that limit is .

Ulysses 31

You could also try without an enclosure:

a009a2ba7ff31c389b7eeb1c8361491b.jpg

If the port is USB 3.0 you don't need toplug in the 2nd USB.

//DEVIL//

I've never heard a fan on either console when they are in standby mode.

if you are downloading something, then you put your xbox on stand by while its downloading, put your ear on top of the console fan and you hear nothing, then :

1- please check your doctor asap (I am joking... I think ?).
2- your xbox one has a problem.

Daffy Duck

Is the S louder than the OG XB1, I have a day one unit I was considering upgrading to an S but I've read a lot people moaning about the noise on here and on HUKD forum in the deal threads about the noise of the fan and it has put me right off, but is this something or nothing?

Bessy67

Is the S louder than the OG XB1, I have a day one unit I was considering upgrading to an S but I've read a lot people moaning about the noise on here and on HUKD forum in the deal threads about the noise of the fan and it has put me right off, but is this something or nothing?
Mine's pretty much silent.

Certinty

My S is louder, but then my OG was whisper quiet. A bit annoying but nothing major I guess.

dealer-

I've just returned it to Tesco, getting a replacement on monday. Fingers crossed it's better!

Probably the best thing to do, I'm going to keep mine though I think as I can't hear anything when playing games. It was always going to be louder than the OG.

Biggest upgrade for me is the controller, just feels better and buttons hardly make any clicking sounds now.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Picked up mine from Tesco, honestly don't know what to do. Keep it and sell my OG XB1 with a half a dozen games or keep the new games from the XB1-S and just sell that on its own with the 1 month EA Access.

Lucifon

My S is louder, but then my OG was whisper quiet. A bit annoying but nothing major I guess.
My S is pretty much identical for volume. It does however have a clicky hard drive which is fairly noisy but not noticeable when playing games. In standby it's quieter than my OG Xbox.

Top Bottom