• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Daffy Duck

Didn't want to make a new thread: any uk deals on trade ins for original x1 for the slim ?

I think the best deal is selling to CeX or game for £113 then getting the Amazon deal for £199 with FIFA and selling FIFA for £30 if it's not your thing, not aware of any straight trade deals.

timewyrm

I think the best deal is selling to CeX or game for £113 then getting the Amazon deal for £199 with FIFA and selling FIFA for £30 if it's not your thing, not aware of any straight trade deals.

Just edited my post above with a Game trade in offer I found. Get the console for £149.

DeaDPo0L84

hello there gaf, have a few questions before taking the dive. Currently me and my wife both own a PS4 and buy our games digitally so that we only have to buy one copy of a game and can share it across both consoles with no restrictions. This is a huge deal for us since we play a lot of MP games and this cuts our cost in half. Most games that im interesting in such as Forza horizon 3 and Gears 4 would be the main purchasing decision so being able to share is huge.

Since you can see were somewhat financially restricted I also am seeing the the current OG VCR Xbox ones are getting a lot of sales for around $230 but to be honest I would rather stick to the S as it just simply looks so good. But also neither one of us own a 4K tv or an HDR compatible monitor/tv so the two meaty benefits wont really apply to us but I guess its cool to be future proof.

Also like many I am a little setback by the fact that a Scorpio comes out next fall but the way im kinda explaining this away is that my current library carries over so im not really losing money per say.

If anyone can shed some light on the digital game sharing (this would basically seal the deal) or give any advantage the OG Xbox may have over the newer model besides the somewhat cheaper model please let me know. Again I know this is long but you guys are the most informative bunch out there so I trust whatever way you guys guide me.

DeaDPo0L84

So I am looking at bundles and see that the Gears of War 4 bundle comes with the ultimate edition which if we can share means well get the game and all future content. On its own its normally $100 so thats a 2tb console, $100 ultimate gears 4 (reason we would buy a Xbox One) and thats actually probably our best bet. Hrmmm...

Ohmbrew

Has anyone had any issues with the media player app on their Xbox One S? I just hooked my new console up last night and could not get the media player app to see any of my network DLNA files.

The original Xbox had no problems with this, and my second day one XB1 in the basement can still see everything on my network, but for some reason, the new Xbox One S does not. I logged onto my PC and it could not find the new XB1 S under media devices whereas my basement OG XB1 shows up.

Have I forgot to do something in the settings? I'm confused!?

Any help is appreciated.

Sorry to quote my own post, but just wanted to provide an update in case anyone else experiences this.

So, yesterday, it seems my new Xbox One S got accepted into the preview program (I was already in the program, just had to wait a day until the new console was fully enrolled). I went through two software updates (one was around 700 MB and the second was 3.9 GB!) Once this happened, it seems my media player app was now working correctly and could see all of my DLNA drives.

I don't know if preview software is required to have the media player app functioning fully or if the console just had to get updated from original software in order to function. Anyway, all seems to be good now.

This new console is sexy!

Tall Paul

Played my first UHD movie on it on Friday, upgraded Deadpool and there's certainly a noticeable change In highlighting of details over normal blu Ray which already looked impressive on the KS8000, very impressed, fairly quiet fan overall unless I'm right near it so that's to be expected, lovely looking console, Can't wait for FH3 on Tuesday!

Tenshin

im on the fence getting the $299 bundle.. master cheif collection and halo 5 is really a great deal (never played halo) still choosing between this and wii u. does the wifi of xbox one s 5ghz?

Maximus P

Powered my xbox one S for the first time today and thankfully mine is near silent.

I did get worried when I read some of the stories on here.

MoodyFog

Got my Xbox One S today, everything went smoothly and it's near silent!

Now to wait for FIFA 17 to be installed, 40Go takes a long-ass time..

im on the fence getting the $299 bundle.. master cheif collection and halo 5 is really a great deal (never played halo) still choosing between this and wii u. does the wifi of xbox one s 5ghz?

Hey man right now on Amazon you can get that bundle with Forza Horizon 3 for $299.

//DEVIL//

Powered my xbox one S for the first time today and thankfully mine is near silent.

I did get worried when I read some of the stories on here.
People say loud Xbox one S. I would like to her one.

So far they all somewhat quite. I dont hear anything while I am playing and only way to hear something is if i am very next to it or my ear is on top of the fan.

People with loud Xbox one S. Do you people hear it from 2 meters far? While playing and say there is a loading screen?

So I am looking at bundles and see that the Gears of War 4 bundle comes with the ultimate edition which if we can share means well get the game and all future content. On its own its normally $100 so thats a 2tb console, $100 ultimate gears 4 (reason we would buy a Xbox One) and thats actually probably our best bet. Hrmmm...
That's the one I'm getting. I've been exclusively gaming on the ps4 this generation and Gears is the reason why I'm returning to the Xbox. As you mentioned, the Gears bundle is a good deal for someone in our position. Now to wait until October.

The Xbox is definitely gonna be a better deal... I mean it's practically the same price, does more, is far more powerful... and most importantly, they will be making games for it far longer since the Wii U is practically dead.

Vuze

I got mine yesterday and set it up. The fan is quiet but the HDD sound is annoying now that I got rid of all mechanical drives in my PC recently lol. When there is a 500gb SSD on sale at some point, I'll probably upgrade. Should be hassle free I guess?

Apart from that, the interface requires a bit of getting used to but I like the style. Looking forward to check out some UHD BDs + Forza Horizon 3 HDR next week. Based Play Anywhere. This and Sony's move with the Pro not supporting UHD BD and providing HDR for OG PS4 made this very attractive to pick up.
Got a decent deal, selling the free second controller I got with the bundle + FIFA 17 code.

hello there gaf, have a few questions before taking the dive. Currently me and my wife both own a PS4 and buy our games digitally so that we only have to buy one copy of a game and can share it across both consoles with no restrictions. This is a huge deal for us since we play a lot of MP games and this cuts our cost in half. Most games that im interesting in such as Forza horizon 3 and Gears 4 would be the main purchasing decision so being able to share is huge.

Since you can see were somewhat financially restricted I also am seeing the the current OG VCR Xbox ones are getting a lot of sales for around $230 but to be honest I would rather stick to the S as it just simply looks so good. But also neither one of us own a 4K tv or an HDR compatible monitor/tv so the two meaty benefits wont really apply to us but I guess its cool to be future proof.

Also like many I am a little setback by the fact that a Scorpio comes out next fall but the way im kinda explaining this away is that my current library carries over so im not really losing money per say.

If anyone can shed some light on the digital game sharing (this would basically seal the deal) or give any advantage the OG Xbox may have over the newer model besides the somewhat cheaper model please let me know. Again I know this is long but you guys are the most informative bunch out there so I trust whatever way you guys guide me.

I believe digital game sharing works exactly the same way on Xbox One as PS4. As long as the person who owns the digital game is playing on the "guest" console and online they have access to their whole library anywhere they go. And anyone playing on the primary console of the user who bought the game can play any game that's been purchased by them.

If you're trying to save money, and especially if you're buying two consoles, there's not a lot of reason to get the One S as good looking as it is. The new S controller has nice subtle impromenrs though.

USF

My launch Xbox One is in the living room and now I've bought the S for my bedroom.
Question is, can I have my game downloads and content on both consoles? (same profile)

I sound stupid but I need to know before booting up the S.

Bessy67

My launch Xbox One is in the living room and now I've bought the S for my bedroom.
Question is, can I have my game downloads and content on both consoles? (same profile)

I sound stupid but I need to know before booting up the S.
Yep. One will be your home console and you'll be able to play all your games on your profile online or offline and the other you'll be able to play all your games on your profile as long as you're online.

Wiped89

So I've had my One S for a few days now.

I'm pleased with the system, I've been enjoying some Forza Horizon 2.

Two things: 1. The UI is awful. I mean, I think the Wii U's might be better laid out and quicker, which is saying something...

2. I watched an Ultra HD Bluray, (The Revenant), but side by side with the 1080p disc it is almost IDENTICAL. I dunno if it's because my TV does very good upscaling of the HD disc, or it's true what they say about 4K viewing distances (I sit about 6 feet away from a 55 inch screen) or it's because my 2014 Samsung UHD TV (Ue55HU8500) just isn't that good for 4K. I don't have HDR, after all. But I wasn't that impressed. Netflix 4K is terrible, literally looks the same as 1080.

etta

my hard graphic balls
So I've had my One S for a few days now.

I'm pleased with the system, I've been enjoying some Forza Horizon 2.

Two things: 1. The UI is awful. I mean, I think the Wii U's might be better laid out and quicker, which is saying something...

2. I watched an Ultra HD Bluray, (The Revenant), but side by side with the 1080p disc it is almost IDENTICAL. I dunno if it's because my TV does very good upscaling of the HD disc, or it's true what they say about 4K viewing distances (I sit about 6 feet away from a 55 inch screen) or it's because my 2014 Samsung UHD TV (Ue55HU8500) just isn't that good for 4K. I don't have HDR, after all. But I wasn't that impressed. Netflix 4K is terrible, literally looks the same as 1080.
Some setting is not turned on or something's wrong, sounds like. 1080p to 4K should be a noticeable jump.

f@luS

More than a member.
Some setting is not turned on or something's wrong, sounds like. 1080p to 4K should be a noticeable jump.
Mostly for revenant. Batman v Superman doesn't loook much better in uhd but revenant is a big jump

Wiped89

I don't know what setting, if that is the case. The TV tells me it's displaying at 3480x2160p@24Hz when I play the 4K disc. And the Xbox tells me it's at 2160p.

I have to plug it in through HDMI 4 because, despite the other HDMIs being able to display UHD colour etc, only HDMI 4 has HDCP 2.2, so the Bluray will not play on the other inputs - it tells me the HDCP is stopping it. Stupidly, HDMI 4 has HDCP but not UHD Deep Colour. I don't know if that makes a difference, because it's not like it has HDR anyway.

Long story short: honestly I can't see any discernible difference at all between the UHD disc and the HD disc, despite it telling me it's in 4K, and I don't know why.

This is my TV, for the record. Early 4K model I know, but I needed a new TV in December 2014 and was trying to future-proof: http://www.trustedreviews.com/samsung-ue55hu8500-review

Can any Gaffer help me?

Long story short: honestly I can't see any discernible difference at all between the UHD disc and the HD disc, despite it telling me it's in 4K, and I don't know why.

I was doing the same thing yesterday, watching The Revenant and comparing the 4K UHD disc to the regular Blu-ray. I also have a 55 inch TV with a similar viewing distance. I regret to say this, but maybe our TV's are just too small :( I cannot see much difference either. Well that's not exactly true, since I have HDR, and yes, there is some difference. I didn't have time to watch the whole movie yet, but it did look different. The colors seemed more natural. But the resolution? Ehhhh there is really not a big difference.

Wiped89

I was doing the same thing yesterday, watching The Revenant and comparing the 4K UHD disc to the regular Blu-ray. I also have a 55 inch TV with a similar viewing distance. I regret to say this, but maybe our TV's are just too small :( I cannot see much difference either. Well that's not exactly true, since I have HDR, and yes, there is some difference. I didn't have time to watch the whole movie yet, but it did look different. The colors seemed more natural. But the resolution? Ehhhh there is really not a big difference.

Yeah, you might be right. What TV are you using?

It's mad because I was always able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p even on a 40 inch TV. When I bought this 55 inch, I thought it was massive, and people still tell me they think it's a big TV when they see it (UK).
I wish I had HDR as that might help, but I think it might be a combination of my TV being very good at upscaling a good mastered-in-4K 1080p disc and 4K itself not being much better at 55 inches? If you have a newer TV and you're saying the same, that makes me less worried that my old 4KTV doesn't do 4K properly or something.

Yeah, you might be right. What TV are you using?

It's mad because I was always able to tell the difference between 720p and 1080p even on a 40 inch TV. When I bought this 55 inch, I thought it was massive, and people still tell me they think it's a big TV when they see it (UK).
I wish I had HDR as that might help, but I think it might be a combination of my TV being very good at upscaling a good mastered-in-4K 1080p disc and 4K itself not being much better at 55 inches? If you have a newer TV and you're saying the same, that makes me less worried that my old 4KTV doesn't do 4K properly or something.

I have a 2015 Sony X8505C. It's not a super high end TV by any means. But yeah, I think with The Revenant, it's more the case that the regular Blu-ray just looks really, really good.

EDIT: and of course it's hard to make comparison when you can't compare them at the same time. I used my PS3 for the regular Blu-ray, but it still takes a while to change the inputs and stuff. I wish I had saved my money for a 65 inch TV.

Wiped89

I have a 2015 Sony X8505C. It's not a super high end TV by any means. But yeah, I think with The Revenant, it's more the case that the regular Blu-ray just looks really, really good.

EDIT: and of course it's hard to make comparison when you can't compare them at the same time. I used my PS3 for the regular Blu-ray, but it still takes a while to change the inputs and stuff. I wish I had saved my money for a 65 inch TV.

Possibly. Have you tried any other 4K discs yet? I'm going to keep buying 4K so that I can feel the benefits next time I upgrade my TV.

Have you tried 4K Netflix? Because to me it looks no different to HD either.

I don't want to upgrade my TV again until I can get a 4K HDR OLED. I really love the colour richness OLED gives (it's why I like Samsung phones) but it I'll be waiting a long time if I have to wait until a 65" OLED is affordable...

Possibly. Have you tried any other 4K discs yet? I'm going to keep buying 4K so that I can feel the benefits next time I upgrade my TV.

Have you tried 4K Netflix? Because to me it looks no different to HD either.

I don't want to upgrade my TV again until I can get a 4K HDR OLED. I really love the colour richness OLED gives (it's why I like Samsung phones) but it I'll be waiting a long time if I have to wait until a 65" OLED is affordable...

You missed last years model on sale @ Dell for $2500. After next years models come out this years will be clearenced out. Just keep an eye out.

Wiped89

You missed last years model on sale @ Dell for $2500. After next years models come out this years will be clearenced out. Just keep an eye out.

Hmmm... I live in the UK where these TVs are so much more expensive. Currently, the HDR OLED 4K at 55 inches from LG is £2,300 (roughly $3,000) and the 65" is £4,500 (~$6,000). I'm sure hoping they come down in price soon but I think I'll be waiting a couple of years until I can pick one up for my ideal £1,500-£2,000 price point.

harz-marz

Never had an Xbox One before but I've ordered an S which should be with me shortly, excited!

I've ordered Forza and I've bought GOW Ultimate, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5 and Rare Replay. I am looking to get more games, mostly exclusives, what would you all recommend?

Also what 3rd party games run with parity on PS4 & Xbox one (or better on One)?

theDeeDubs

Never had an Xbox One before but I've ordered an S which should be with me shortly, excited!

I've ordered Forza and I've bought GOW Ultimate, Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5 and Rare Replay. I am looking to get more games, mostly exclusives, what would you all recommend?

Dead Rising 3, ReCore, Ori and Inside would be worth checking out. Volgarr the Viking isn't out on PS4 yet, and I adored it. It's considered brutally hard by many though.

Think the BioShock and Dead Rising remasters are pretty must on par with each other with DR2 being better on XB1 if I remember correctly.

Memory

State of decay is awesome, Dead Rising 3 in co-op is fun, especially the capcom nostalgia DLC. Ori and the blind forest is a must.

Destiny is the same minus the DLC extra Sony gets which are time delayed. Wolfenstein runs the same think, same resolution at least.

//DEVIL//

Guys , as far as I know the 2tb version is very limited edition system. if anyone still want one. there are only 5 remaining at amazon

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GW3GM7I/?tag=neogaf0e-20

I got my friend system for like 240$ ( 2tb ) he used for few days then he decided he wanted to go with high end pc.

but the idea to download all your games in a single HDD is really good and much better idea than an external HDD ( at least for me since I don't like cords as much as possible )

BouncyFrag

I recently got an S and found Ryse to be really good and got it for $7. The combat is a little repetitive and there are a few frustrating small sections involving protecting your troops from archers, but it looks fantastic and the story is like Gladiator but it's done well.

harz-marz

I recently got an S and found Ryse to be really good and got it for $7. The combat is a little repetitive and there are a few frustrating small sections involving protecting your troops from archers, but it looks fantastic and the story is like Gladiator but it's done well.

Thanks! Played that on PC and enjoyed it for what it was.

DeaDPo0L84

I believe digital game sharing works exactly the same way on Xbox One as PS4. As long as the person who owns the digital game is playing on the "guest" console and online they have access to their whole library anywhere they go. And anyone playing on the primary console of the user who bought the game can play any game that's been purchased by them.

If you're trying to save money, and especially if you're buying two consoles, there's not a lot of reason to get the One S as good looking as it is. The new S controller has nice subtle impromenrs though.

Agreed. My wife works with Walmart Vision Center so she has a discount. I added 2 of the 500gb White OG Gears Bundles and after discount its $445. Thats a total of $140 difference than buying 2 500gb S Models. So roughly $220 all said and done for each console which is near Wii-U levels. Im just waiting for the free game offer to go live on their site to make the deal even sweeter. Not sure why they are taking so long to make it active when every one else is live.

Alright peeps Just picked up my new S for the low today at BB. How do erase and de associate my account with my old one so I can sell it? Just want to make sure Im doing it right, thanks for any help!

Top Bottom