• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

Tenshin

Start with the Forza Horizon 1, it's on sale at the moment until this Thursday when it will be delisted.
just got my xbox one.. halo master cheif collection is great. but halo 5 wtf total of 90 gb.. played horrizon 3 and wow i was blown away... ill try to pick up horrizon 1 ..still having trouble navigating the menus on xbox one. overall great console. only 3 games installed and my 500gb hdd is already at 52%.

I'm having a weird issue which I wonder if anyone else has experienced.

Netflix on the Xbox One S looks fuzzy. I mean, really fuzzy. There's a lot of noise on the picture, especially in dark scenes. I'll try to take a photo to show it. What is odd is that it isn't a problem on Blurays (normal or uhd) or on games. It just seems to be Netflix that has a lot of noise. And it works fine on my tv'so built in app at 4k, so I don't get it.

I think I had a similar issue when I got mine. I went to my Netflix account and tweaked some settings from there and then got 2160p rez. Try that.

im_dany

just got my xbox one.. halo master cheif collection is great. but halo 5 wtf total of 90 gb.. played horrizon 3 and wow i was blown away... ill try to pick up horrizon 1 ..still having trouble navigating the menus on xbox one. overall great console. only 3 games installed and my 500gb hdd is already at 52%.
Since they're not actual 500 GB and the OS takes up a lot of space you actually only have 370 GB available iirc.

Already tried that. What's weird is that even if I set it to shut off after 6 hours, the network settings says it stopped downloading after a bit more than 2 hours. I still found it completely off though.

Another guy was having the same issues and he says he fixed it by changing the port to which the One was connected while it was turned on.

Router software ports (3074 etc) or like a different physical Ethernet port ?

Detective

Bought the 1TB fifa bundle for about two weeks ago. Today the store is running a promotion, 50 dollars cheaper and either Forza h 3 or mafia 3 for free, I went there and got the 50 dollars and Forza horizon 3 <3

Luckeyyyyyyyyyyyy

Cimarron

I am a little confused. Is the xbox one s the only m$ console currently able to stream to windows 10 for 4k gaming? Or can I have a an original xbox one and stream to my windows 10 box with a 4k monitor and have it displayed in 4k? Or do I need an S for that?

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Is the S the same in terms of plugging directly into the wall due to having its own surge? When I have an electric appliance come on in the house the monitor hooked to the XB1 would flick off then back on and I've been trying to sort it out today then I was wondering if it's being caused by having it plugged into a surge plug.

Cairnsay

Banned
I sold my Launch Xbox One about a year ago. Jumped back in thanks to a combo of the One S, Horizon 3, & Gears 4. When I last had an Xbox One, I remember there being a pretty in-depth app for looking at your friends list. I can't find that anywhere now, did they get rid of it, or am I just missing something obvious?

Is the S the same in terms of plugging directly into the wall due to having its own surge? When I have an electric appliance come on in the house the monitor hooked to the XB1 would flick off then back on and I've been trying to sort it out today then I was wondering if it's being caused by having it plugged into a surge plug.

Hm...I can one up you there. If I have my PS4 and XB1S on at the same time and I stomp on the floor, the TV does a quick 'channel reset'.

It doesn't happen if only the PS4 is on, and they're not in the same outlet.

mcfly1955

Neo Member
Anyone else order the Storm Grey version on MS.com?

I've done 4 web chats...2 have told me it will definitely ship prior to 11/1 and arrive on 11/1....2 others have told me that it will not ship until 11/1 and will take 3-7 business days....

Anyone have any idea how they truly handle shipping? I had to trade in my Day One version to Amazon on 10/18 because they stopped accepting that version and I had it locked in for $160....So, I'm XB1-less until the grey arrives.

thenameDS

What device would I need to get my Xbox to send image to my monitor and TV, not at the same time. Currently I just have two hdmi cables behind the Xbox and swap between them if I want to play on the monitor or TV, but it's really inconvenient having to go behind my entertainment system all the time.

Also if there is something that can do this, does it add input lag or any delay?

faer0n

What device would I need to get my Xbox to send image to my monitor and TV, not at the same time. Currently I just have two hdmi cables behind the Xbox and swap between them if I want to play on the monitor or TV, but it's really inconvenient having to go behind my entertainment system all the time.

Also if there is something that can do this, does it add input lag or any delay?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/s/ref=is_s_ss_i_0_6?k=hdmi+splitter&sprefix=hdmi+s

Could add a minor delay. Not sure how noticeable that would be

Sorry if this was already answered somewhere, but how is the Xbox One S controller's D-Pad? Anyone give it a try with some fighting games or other 2D games? Can you hit diagonals properly? I remember this being a major issue on the Xbox 360 controller so I thought I'd ask.

piggychan

Sorry if this was already answered somewhere, but how is the Xbox One S controller's D-Pad? Anyone give it a try with some fighting games or other 2D games? Can you hit diagonals properly? I remember this being a major issue on the Xbox 360 controller so I thought I'd ask.

much better than previous model and this includes the 360 controller

EDIT:

VF5 FS 360 BC on xbone S and controller

QLOMVY4.gif

Has anyone else had an issue where the display resolution reverts to 640x480 randomly sometimes when turning on the console. It seems as though every other day it goes from 4K down to 640x480 requiring me to go into the settings and change it back.
I have a Vizio P-Series model P50-C1 using the HDMI cord that was included with the console plugged into HDMI port 5.

Just picked up my Gears 4 Edition. I sold my launch console over a year ago because I never really played it (switched to PS4 this gen). But that Gears paint job is pure sex. I wish it came with the steel book physical game instead of the code.

My only gripe is the guide button is so unresponsive compared to PS4. You really have to mash the thing. I would almost think it was defective but I remember this issue from before.

shmoglish

After all the positive comments I MUST pick it up. Still going with the sony tv (the ks is great but to expensive for me, with all the other stuff I cant afford it :(). Really looking forward to it. Also found Halo mcc, Halo 5, Sunset and Quantum for 60€. This + recore, forza and Rare Collection should be perfect.

@s4ik
Going to add you when my console arrives.

KyleCross

You know, I've always heard how several consoles have their own surge protection and they should be plugged directly into the wall... but fuck that noise. No way am I plugging an expensive electronic directly into the wall. I don't care what these companies say.

EmiPrime

It's okayish for fighting games (better for vf than for ki) but for platformers and shooters it's really uncomfortable.

Alpha_eX

I think I'm going to upgrade, the forest blue Xbox One S is lush, but I love my Kinect so can I still use it or what? I don't want Cortana, I want to walk in and say Xbox On, Xbox Goto Nextflix still.

Syrus

Banned
I think I'm going to upgrade, the forest blue Xbox One S is lush, but I love my Kinect so can I still use it or what? I don't want Cortana, I want to walk in and say Xbox On, Xbox Goto Nextflix still.

You ask MS support for free adapter. I use xbox commands still

New002

Omg...for some reason I've had it in my head for weeks that the Steel Grey bundle releases tomorrow. I forgot it was launching later. BLOWN. My whole weekend was set aside. I played myself. Tempted to just go out and buy the military green bundle instead lol.

New002

So I assumed that the One S was upscaling standard BluRays to 4k, but I just read online today that while it did do that at launch, the console now switches to 1080p mode when launching a standard BluRay. That's kind of a bummer. I wonder if they are going to add that functionality back in.

Here's a YouTube video I came across discussing this:

https://youtu.be/iJSrZT_pV9o

So I assumed that the One S was upscaling standard BluRays to 4k, but I just read online today that while it did do that at launch, the console now switches to 1080p mode when launching a standard BluRay. That's kind of a bummer. I wonder if they are going to add that functionality back in.

That's the first I've heard of this and it totally defies logic. Weird. I'll check it when I get home, but that's not for 4 hours from now.

EDIT - Not saying I don't believe you. I'm saying it's such an odd design decision, if consciously implemented, that I'm in disbelief.

New002

That's the first I've heard of this and it totally defies logic. Weird. I'll check it when I get home, but that's not for 4 hours from now.

Thanks. I'd appreciate that! Unfortunately I don't have my system yet or I'd try and confirm it myself. This is the article that had me googling this after I read it...and then I stumbled across that YouTube video and an Xbox User voice post from the beginning of this month complaining about the same thing.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138586-xbox-one-s-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-and-hdr-examined-in-more-detail

Edit: Just saw your edit. No worries. I didn't take it negatively :)

Krakatoa

Thanks. I'd appreciate that! Unfortunately I don't have my system yet or I'd try and confirm it myself. This is the article that had me googling this after I read it...and then I stumbled across that YouTube video and an Xbox User voice post from the beginning of this month complaining about the same thing.

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/138586-xbox-one-s-4k-ultra-hd-blu-ray-and-hdr-examined-in-more-detail

Edit: Just saw your edit. No worries. I didn't take it negatively :)

I just tested it with the 007 Quantum of Solace Blu-Ray and I can confirm it does output in 1080P, There's no scaling to 4k. I should say there's no upscaling on the Xbox side. My TV will automatically scale it to 4K though.

What difference does it make? Who cares if it's your TV doing the scaling or your Xbox? In the end it's still just a 1080p image being scaled to 4k resolution. People put way too much stock in the whole "upscaled to 4k" thing. It's literally just scaling a 1080p image to 4k resolution. The amount of information in the source signal doesn't change. There's no detail or clarity gained. There's no magic happening here. This is literally a nonissue.

Also, the guy in the video is a dickhead.

So i got a little problem with my 2TB Xbox One S. Usually i'm all digital but last week a bought two games on discs. Usually i power down the console completely. So i insert the disc and then the console boots up but it won't recognize the disc. If i boot up the system and then put in the disc, the console recognizes the disc and begins to install. Is this normal?

New002

What difference does it make? Who cares if it's your TV doing the scaling or your Xbox? In the end it's still just a 1080p image being scaled to 4k resolution. People put way too much stock in the whole "upscaled to 4k" thing. It's literally just scaling a 1080p image to 4k resolution. The amount of information in the source signal doesn't change. There's no detail or clarity gained. There's no magic happening here. This is literally a nonissue.

I mean, you call the guy a dickhead but the tone of this post seems needlessly aggressive. Anyways, thanks for the input. I intially figured it didn't make a real difference for the reasons you stated, but I thought I must have been missing something since after I Googled it I saw those instances of people being worked up about it. Guess not! I wonder why they would switch from having the Xbox handle the upscaling to letting peoples sets do it. But if it's all the same in the end it's truly a nonissue like you said.

Is it possible that the Xbox One S scaling could look superior to your sets scaling so some people might actually be seeing a drop in quality after the switch? For example when I was looking at 4k sets some scale sub 4k content better than others.

I just tested it with the 007 Quantum of Solace Blu-Ray and I can confirm it does output in 1080P, There's no scaling to 4k. I should say there's no upscaling on the Xbox side. My TV will automatically scale it to 4K though.

Cool. Thanks for checking that out!

I mean, you call the guy a dickhead but the tone of this post seems needlessly aggressive. Anyways, thanks for the input. I intially figured it didn't make a real difference for the reasons you stated, but I thought I must have been missing something since after I Googled it I saw those instances of people being worked up about it. Guess not! I wonder why they would switch from having the Xbox handle the upscaling to letting peoples sets do it. But if it's all the same in the end it's truly a nonissue like you said.

Is it possible that the Xbox One S scaling could look superior to your sets scaling so some people might actually be seeing a drop in quality after the switch? For example when I was looking at 4k sets some scale sub 4k content better than others.

No really though, the guy was a dick to that customer support rep.

"You're not very good at this are you?"

"For customer support, you are terrible at this. Just so you know."

Who talks like that to another human being that's trying to help him?

In the video the rep stated that they disabled that feature because they found that it can introduce performance issues during playback. I'm assuming some minor stuttering here and there.

As to your question, any modern day set is going to scale every bit as well as the Xbox One can. Some sets will add some subtle sharpening filters or even blurring filters but for the most part the picture remains untouched, so therefore the image quality will be identical.

The whole "upscale" term has become a marketing buzzword over the last few years, but it really means absolutely nothing. That's why I'm a bit annoyed with all the backlash. People are freaking out about it and literally have no idea what they're even freaking out about.

Here's a couple good articles on upscaling:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/upscaled-1080P-vs-4K

Izuna

Banned

Some TVs don't have nearest upscaling. So 1080p content would look blurrier than they would if the panel was 1080p

Yeah some TV Manufacturers are stupid like that

New002

No really though, the guy was a dick to that customer support rep.

"You're not very good at this are you?"

"For customer support, you are terrible at this. Just so you know."

Who talks like that to another human being that's trying to help him?

In the video the rep stated that they disabled that feature because they found that it can introduce performance issues during playback. I'm assuming some minor stuttering here and there.

As to your question, any modern day set is going to scale every bit as well as the Xbox One can. Some sets will add some subtle sharpening filters or even blurring filters but for the most part the picture remains untouched, so therefore the image quality will be identical.

The whole "upscale" term has become a marketing buzzword over the last few years, but it really means absolutely nothing. That's why I'm a bit annoyed with all the backlash. People are freaking out about it and literally have no idea what they're even freaking out about.

Here's a couple good articles on upscaling:

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/by-resolution/4k-ultra-hd-uhd-vs-1080p-full-hd-tvs-and-upscaling-compared

http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/upscaled-1080P-vs-4K

Sweeeeet. Thanks a lot for the links! Definitely gonna check them out. I thought I had it right in my head, but I second guessed myself. Sorry for the false alarm :)

Returning my XB1S today to BestBuy due to the fan not sounding right :(

Thinking of swapping it out for the military green bundle as i had gotten the white (Halo bundle) and am frankly burned out on that look (have an OG white)

We'll see how it goes

dedhead54

My mom is buying a new TV and she sent me a link to it on the Best Buy website. I happened to noticed that there's a deal with that particular TV where you get $250 off the total purchase of the television and an Xbox One, so she so kindly agreed to add a white BF1 bundle to her cart and I'll just pay her the $100 for the Xbox (for some reason the $250 off is on the original price of the TV which is $799, but if you buy the TV on its own it already has a $50 discount and is only $749. So really its like $200 off instead of $250). I already own BF1 on PS4 so I'll sell that code, and sell my OG white Xbox One and have myself a free XB1S.

Now to decide which size KS8000 to get.

This ticking is doing my head in, enough is enough. Contacting regarding a replacement this afternoon. Shoddy is an understatement..

For fuck sake, retail outlet has basically told me to do one and contact microsoft. The fucking merry go round begins.

OK guys. My son's birthday was yesterday. My wife decided to buy him an 1s. It is being delivered today. So I need your help to understand some things.

1. Do I need to have a paid Xbox live account to play the games at all? Or is this only for online multiplayer?

2. Backwards compatibility... are all games BC from 360? Or is it only ones they are approving and how does this work? Is there a list or site where this info is updated? Also how often do they update and give new BC games?

3. I have the 500GB version. My son basically likes sports games(fifa, 2k, Madden). Will this amount of storage suffice? I know with Microsoft and Sony third party games have huge downloads and patches.

4. Can I use an external Hard-drive the that I also use with my pc? So is there a way to store games on this hard-drive and then use it on my pc the next day if needed?

Thanks for all the help guys and gals if someone could answer my questions. Also if there is any other things I need to know (tips and tricks) please feel free to share.

1, You need XBL to play online or if you want the monthly free games.

2, Games have to be on the BC list. They regularly add new ones. If you own the game digitally it will appear in the "ready to install" section of the XB1 and you just download them. If you have the disk version you need that in the machine as proof of purchase, then the console can download the BC version.

3, Sports games aren't huge. But 500GB does get used up surprisingly quickly. However see my point 4.

4, I had a launch 500GB console and now an XB1 S. I still went for 500GB for the S. The reason is that loading games from an external USB3 drive is quicker than using the internal drive. All my games are on the external drive. I use a WD 2TB USB3 drive. Once formatted for games by the XB1 your PC won't be able to read it until it's reformatted. The XB1 can read regularly external drives for media, but it does its own special format for games. Well worth getting a USB powered USB3 drive and storing all your games on that.

EmiPrime

I got my replacement today and it also has a crap grindy sounding fan. It even had a bit of grime on the corner of the machine (from the factory).

Feeling pretty despondent about this.

Lucifon

This ticking is doing my head in, enough is enough. Contacting regarding a replacement this afternoon. Shoddy is an understatement..

For fuck sake, retail outlet has basically told me to do one and contact microsoft. The fucking merry go round begins.

Is this the noise you're hearing - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRMjFbINUcc (wear earphones and crank the volume)

Because if so then I have the same thing, pretty sure it's just a normal hard drive clicking sound. I only really notice it these days when the system is doing an update as that's intensely using the internal drive. Otherwise I run everything off an external so it's not too bad.

Really appreciate it

Fwiw I agree with all of those answers. With Xbox live you can view it two ways, it's 35 quid to play games online or its 35 quid to get a lucky dip on around 40 (incl BC 360 games) free games over the course of the year.

It was originally sold and thought of as an online subscription service but IMO an awful.loy of value is in those free games. Good Indy titles like the escapists and super time force, as well as big games like ass creed, sunset overdrive and others.

Still waiting for ryse to appear on the list though!

Mileage in this varies a.lot so checkout the list from the last year and see if it would have been worth it.

I got my replacement today and it also has a crap grindy sounding fan. It even had a bit of grime on the corner of the machine (from the factory).

Feeling pretty despondent about this.

Feel your pain man, I've been there - had to go through THREE One S consoles until I got a quiet one, persevere and you will be happy when you get a good one.

I've had 5 new white Xbox One consoles (2 OG and 3 S) unboxed in my house since Nov 2014 - out of the 5 of them 4 had black marks or scuffs from the factory.

One mark even required rubbing off with a white pencil eraser multiple times as a damp microfibre cloth was not shifting it at all.

Xbox One S is the best looking console ever made but MS have some quality control issues on their new factory products at times.

I have 2 white One S controllers at the moment - one is bundled and one was bought boxed separately ...

The amount of difference between the two controllers is insane when in the hand and paying attention ... Different stick edge grip rubber, totally different feel on triggers pulling and soft cushioning when fully pressed, view and menu buttons totally different, main face buttons need less pressure on one pad, D pad is clicky and loud as hell on one and silent on the other, different feel and noise when pressing in left and right sticks button, handle grips more pronounced and textured on one pad ... I could go on but you get the idea.

Clearly these controllers were made at TWO different factories to different standards of QC.

Top Bottom