• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

dLMN8R

Jesus Christ.

The forza update us only 203mb but is taking forever because the console is only downloading at 1 Mb/s , nothing I do will speed it up even though the detailed network statistics in settings shows my connection at > 60 Mb/s

Some days XB1 downloads are only around 5Mb/sec for me. I've no idea why either.

If you see this happening try rebooting your Xbox. Downloads are throttled on Xbox when you're actively playing a game, but sometimes that throttling doesn't back off as it's supposed to when you stop playing.

f@luS

More than a member.
Just FYI Best Buy has a bunch of 4k blu rays on sale this week for $23 instead of $30. I just ordered The Revenant, can't wait to see what proper 4K HDR video looks like.
Lots of issue with revenant on the S. hope you have good luck

AmyS

Overall what is the consensus on how Xbox One S performs as an Ultra HD Blu-ray player ?

I would not have considered buying an Xbox One, but Sony has left me no choice between their slim and the PS4 Pro.

Jzero

Rare Replay is so fucking good. I'm drowning in nostalgia.
Overall what is the consensus on how Xbox One S performs as an Ultra HD Blu-ray player ?

I would not have considered buying an Xbox One, but Sony has left me no choice between their slim and the PS4 Pro.
Same, So far same as the top end 2015 Sony Blu-ray player that I own.

Tenshin

waiting for my xbox to arrive. my first xbox console.. cant ressist the halo bundle.. its damn time to finally play the frachise. and i hear great things about forza horrizon 3.

You have chosen wisely...

Xbox One S and OG PS4 are the best console designs since the triple threat of the Dreamcast-Gamecube-PS2 era

completely agree

Too bad it took Sony so damn long to get the PS4 silent with the slim model. Otherwise, def my favorite console design next to the Dreamcast and white Xbox One

leng jai

The S really does have a high end feel to it aesthetically speaking. The finish is basically flawless, unlike the OG Xbox which was to use but had some pretty roughly cut edges and random scuffs. The S design is Apple like in its attention to detail. Still don't understand the huge circle vent though, surely they could have come up with a more elegant solution there.

im_dany

The S really does have a high end feel to it aesthetically speaking. The finish is basically flawless, unlike the OG Xbox which was to use but had some pretty roughly cut edges and random scuffs. The S design is Apple like in its attention to detail. Still don't understand the huge circle vent though, surely they could have come up with a more elegant solution there.

Smaller vent = more noise, they wanted it as silent as the og X1

It's ok... tends to studder for a few seconds about half way through most movies I've watched. No Atmos/DTS X support yet, but both of these issues should be fixed in time. I would definitely recommend it especially if you don't already have One.

Also I had no issues with The Revenant.

Vuze

Same. Watched my first UHD BD the other day (Shallows) and playback was flawless. Controlling a media player app with a controller is always eh, but not a biggie and there is probably a way to pair a remote or something I assume.

Jzero

Same. Watched my first UHD BD the other day (Shallows) and playback was flawless. Controlling a media player app with a controller is always eh, but not a biggie and there is probably a way to pair a remote or something I assume.

I'm probably going to end up buying the Xbox One Media Remote. Using my phone or the controller as a remote sucks.

61eVfXgxmkL._SL1300_.jpg

shmoglish

Ah well, only water and bread for the next two month. But Christmas will be glorious.

To be honest, I am only buying the one for the 4k BR Support (but obviously there are some very cool games). You hear me sony?

f@luS

More than a member.
imagee4k8v.png

Lets do this. Or not? I mean, I could spent my christmas bonus on sumething useful 😂
I feel you

Just bought :
-Xbox one s ( forza h3 , gow 4 , sunset , halo 5+ mcc, QB, ori and EA access )
-lg oled 65c6v
-iphone 7+

Received them all the same week. Beside gow4 which I just received with my ...psvr

Still waiting for my GPD win and my PS4 pro

7-8k spent

imagee4k8v.png

Lets do this. Or not? I mean, I could spent my christmas bonus on sumething useful ��

Looks great man. But I'd pay a little extra to upgrade to the Samsung KS7000 TV instead. Way better HDR, way better input lag. (here's a review. don't mind the KS8000 thing; that's what it's called in the US )

Also, good to know that 4K blurays only cost 25,- at Amazon DE!

Felensis

Banned
imagee4k8v.png

Lets do this. Or not? I mean, I could spent my christmas bonus on sumething useful 😂

GO FOR IT!
Bought my One S 2TB + ReCore/FH3/Gears4/Rare Replay/Sunset + Revenant package one week ago and couldn't be happier. I have a Sony 4K HDR TV set, too. Works flawlessly, looks absolutely awesome.

While you're at it add me (GT same as my GAF nick), I'm from Germany, too :)

I'm probably going to end up buying the Xbox One Media Remote. Using my phone or the controller as a remote sucks.
Does your tv not control your Xbox? I love that my ks8000 can do it although it was finicky to get it to work whilst keeping the custom Xbox icons.

Felensis

Banned
Does your tv not control your Xbox? I love that my ks8000 can do it although it was finicky to get it to work whilst keeping the custom Xbox icons.

My Xbox can control my TV set + AVR, but not vice versa. So no HDMI-CEC and thus no controlling of the Xbox with my TV/AVR remote. One of the few flaws I just don't get. Very annoying so I'm planning to get the Media Remote as well.

On a sidenote:
XboxGAF, how do you achieve NAT open in network settings?
I opened up the required forward ports in my router as described in the official support document on xbox.com, but it stays on NAT moderate. When I activate UPnP to be managed by devices (which I want to avoid for obvious security risks) it works.

Any hints what else I can do to achieve NAT open without allowing UPnP modification?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I love the look and feel my Xbox One S.

But...I have to say that it's a bit frustrating that I have to do hard resets on the console far more often than my AC:Unity 500GB model.

Things like controllers not registering and not being able to connect to Xbox live have been annoying.

im_dany

My Xbox can control my TV set + AVR, but not vice versa. So no HDMI-CEC and thus no controlling of the Xbox with my TV/AVR remote. One of the few flaws I just don't get. Very annoying so I'm planning to get the Media Remote as well.

On a sidenote:
XboxGAF, how do you achieve NAT open in network settings?
I opened up the required forward ports in my router as described in the official support document on xbox.com, but it stays on NAT moderate. When I activate UPnP to be managed by devices (which I want to avoid for obvious security risks) it works.

Any hints what else I can do to achieve NAT open without allowing UPnP modification?

Have you tried putting the X1 in DMZ?

piggychan

This was something that I had to enable in my router. I was getting 100% packet loss error from my xbox one S something that didn't happen on the original xbox one.

It was just during some researching that I stumbled on my ISP forum posts about enabling the DMZ and now I have no error messages on my xbone S.

EDIT:

Update. I disabled it as I was getting packet loss again, this seemed to be temperamental as one moment the xbone S reported that I was getting 100% packet loss or the connection is working fine.

So I made a phone call to my ISP and they said that I should go into the router and change the security connections to WEP/WPA etc and see which ones help. They also suggested I get a new router from them as mine was like 2 years old and tech has moved on so I re-contracted.

icespide

Banned
ah fuck it I preordered the storm gray battlefield bundle. I have no interest in Battlefield 1 so hopefully I can sell the code. don't tell my wife

Jzero

I have an X850C that turns on and off with the Xbox but i can't use its remote with the Xbox since it doesn't have Bravia Sync.

I was going to PM you again: it's done it again tonight :/

I called my Gamestop and the replacement should be there in 2-3 days. Hope my PM didn't make you waste time

No worries - I didn't know I had a PM until I saw this, didn't get a notification or pop-up but I am viewing NeoGAF by mobile 99% of the time.

I didn't think factory reset would work, just got a feeling that it's going to come and go this issue.

I saw something interesting earlier, someone had said that if you leave the machine on and let it shut itself down after the user set period of inactiviy - it will shutdown to instant on powered off mode but continue to download ?

Something else to try I suppose.

Wiped89

So does watching a 4K BD down sampled to 1080p improve IQ at all like it does for games, or is there no difference?
It won't let you, because the tv needs to have HDCP 2.2 compliance before a UHD disc will launch. I don't think it is possible to get HDCP at 1080p...

AmyS

It's ok... tends to studder for a few seconds about half way through most movies I've watched. No Atmos/DTS X support yet, but both of these issues should be fixed in time. I would definitely recommend it especially if you don't already have One.

Also I had no issues with The Revenant.

Thanks guys. I can't justify getting a stand-alone UHD Blu-ray player, but Xbox One S seems worth it. Will be nice to play Red Dead Redemption on it as well.

im_dany

No worries - I didn't know I had a PM until I saw this, didn't get a notification or pop-up but I am viewing NeoGAF by mobile 99% of the time.

I didn't think factory reset would work, just got a feeling that it's going to come and go this issue.

I saw something interesting earlier, someone had said that if you leave the machine on and let it shut itself down after the user set period of inactiviy - it will shutdown to instant on powered off mode but continue to download ?

Something else to try I suppose.

Already tried that. What's weird is that even if I set it to shut off after 6 hours, the network settings says it stopped downloading after a bit more than 2 hours. I still found it completely off though.

Another guy was having the same issues and he says he fixed it by changing the port to which the One was connected while it was turned on.

Felensis

Banned

I've set it as "Exposed Host" once as it is called by my routers software, but that would mean it's completely open to the internet. Activating UPnP control by devices works as well, but also isn't recommended due to security reasons.

Usually it should work to allow the ports stated in the Xbox Live support article by MS via port forwarding, but unfortunately this doesn't results in "NAT open", but only moderate.

Wiped89

I'm having a weird issue which I wonder if anyone else has experienced.

Netflix on the Xbox One S looks fuzzy. I mean, really fuzzy. There's a lot of noise on the picture, especially in dark scenes. I'll try to take a photo to show it. What is odd is that it isn't a problem on Blurays (normal or uhd) or on games. It just seems to be Netflix that has a lot of noise. And it works fine on my tv'so built in app at 4k, so I don't get it.

dealer-

waiting for my xbox to arrive. my first xbox console.. cant ressist the halo bundle.. its damn time to finally play the frachise. and i hear great things about forza horrizon 3.

Start with the Forza Horizon 1, it's on sale at the moment until this Thursday when it will be delisted.

jfoul

I bought the 1TB Gears bundle to replace my launch unit.

What's a quick and easy way to sell my old console?

I always try to sell my stuff locally first, or online. I rarely trade-in to shops unless a really good promo is offered.

• Locally on Craigslist & Facebook Marketplace
  • Sell on Amazon / Ebay
  • Trade In Amazon / Best Buy / Gamestop

Top Bottom