• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One S Thread: The S is for Sexy

yLEFTy

Nope, might try tonight but that can't possibly be the only solution.
As stated Shield TV via HDMI does pass 5.1 perfectly fine via the same route so I don't see why the Xbox would fail to do so.
Go into your HDMI audio settings and choose bitstream instead of automatic. That opens up DTS in the other menu. I going off memory so it may not be exactly correct but should get you heading down the right track.

leng jai

Alright guys help me choose:

Ct72fxvW8AEPHjQ.jpg

vs

xbox-one-s-hero-logo.jpg

Both are sexy AF.

Vuze

Go into your HDMI audio settings and choose bitstream instead of automatic. That opens up DTS in the other menu. I going off memory so it may not be exactly correct but should get you heading down the right track.
Thanks, I will take a closer look again. I set it to 5.1 obviously but I guess I must've skipped the other option.
This is correct.

Don't put it on its side without the stand!
O-Ooops

xanaty

Neo Member
Anyone else having problems with the One S and Instant On not always working as intended? I'm on my second One S and the problem still persists in that sometimes when I turn off the console while using Instant On, the console will either do a full system restart or do a full shutdown and desync the controller. It has done this on the Halo 500gb Bundle (which I returned) and now my new 2tb Gears Of War Limited Edition system. Should I also return this system or is this an on-going issue with the operating system that an update can fix? Both system were bought from the same place (Amazon).

I've tried rectifying the problem by removing external hard drives, plugging it in another power outlet, using the latest software update (not preview), etc but the problem still persists.

im_dany

Anyone else having problems with the One S and Instant On not always working as intended? I'm on my second One S and the problem still persists in that sometimes when I turn off the console while using Instant On, the console will either do a full system restart or do a full shutdown and desync the controller. It has done this on the Halo 500gb Bundle (which I returned) and now my new 2tb Gears Of War Limited Edition system. Should I also return this system or is this an on-going issue with the operating system that an update can fix? Both system were bought from the same place (Amazon).

I've tried rectifying the problem by removing external hard drives, plugging it in another power outlet, using the latest software update (not preview), etc but the problem still persists.

It's what me and another user are experiencing in the previous pages. Tonight the console was in instant on as intended and updated Overwatch, left for uni this morning leaving only BF1 trial and now I'm back home and I couldn't turn it on from the controller, which means it didn't download anything.

New002

I like the storm grey, but the contrast between colors is what makes the white S shine for me. The grey is a bit boring in that regard.

Not an easy choice! I personally went with the Storm Grey since it'll blend in to my entertainment center better, and I think it looks sweet, but the white one S is stunning. Like another poster mentioned that contrast really sells it. I need to stop looking at that pic now before I change my order :p

j-wood

I figured this would be a good place to ask.

Is the bluetooth on the new controllers shit for anyone else? On two seperate PCs it just constantly disconnects for me.

leng jai

Not an easy choice! I personally went with the Storm Grey since it'll blend in to my entertainment center better, and I think it looks sweet, but the white one S is stunning. Like another poster mentioned that contrast really sells it. I need to stop looking at that pic now before I change my order :p

That big circular vent seems to be much better hidden on the Storm Grey compared to the white.

Read the last 2 pages to see this issue discussed by myself and another member in detail.

I thought last night that paused downloads were causing this but after further testing it appears it wasn't the deciding factor as the machine later booted fine in instant on mode whilst a download was paused.

One thing that is key is the machine will shutdown chime TWICE if it is shutting down and this error happens, you will also notice the machine goes off but the controller stays on intermittently flashing for 2 mins or so before it also goes off.

If you hear the double chime and see you pad flash as you shutdown then .... 100% next time you go to turn the machine on with the controller it will not work.

The link to the controller gets severed as it has this crash on shutdown.

HTH

It's what me and another user are experiencing in the previous pages. Tonight the console was in instant on as intended and updated Overwatch, left for uni this morning leaving only BF1 trial and now I'm back home and I couldn't turn it on from the controller, which means it didn't download anything.

Hmmm, as a temporary workaround can you not also download in 'energy saving' mode ? If you tick the "keep my games and apps updated" check box ?

Or is that SOLELY for 'updates' to your existing installed games as opposed to downloading a NEW piece of software to the machine that isn't yet installed - as you appear to be doing with BF1 trial.

muzzymate

I like the storm grey, but the contrast between colors is what makes the white S shine for me. The grey is a bit boring in that regard.

Gray for me. But only because white electronic devices equate to toys in my head.

Though really I want the Xbox One S in black. Just plain ol' black.

That big circular vent seems to be much better hidden on the Storm Grey compared to the white.

I reckon it'd be very visible in any colour if you're looking at it straight on. However, if you have your console positioned horizontally, you won't notice at all.

If blending into your furniture is a priority, Storm Grey is the way to go. If it isn't, the white S is an eyecatcher in the best way.

Side note: the storm grey looks bland to me in the same way the PS4 Slim does. Just a slab of matte plastic. I'd be down with a deep black One S though..

Coming from PC/PS4 only, are Halo MCC and Guardians worth getting? I heard there were issues with MCC?

IDK if anyone responded but get them on cdkeys. MCC is currently like 9$ and Halo 5 Deluxe is like 18$- Can't beat that, even if there are issues at leats you can get your money worth in single player

Coming from PC/PS4 only, are Halo MCC and Guardians worth getting? I heard there were issues with MCC?
IDK if anyone responded but get them on cdkeys. MCC is currently like 9$ and Halo 5 Deluxe is like 18$- Can't beat that, even if there are issues at leats you can get your money worth in single player
MCC was disappointing to me; Halo 2 Anniversary looks like shit. I absolutely adore Halo 5 so far; played the campaign for 4-5 hours.

EDIT: Oops, responded to a really old post and the wrong one too at first.

i hope they hurry up and sell the console on it's own. i have no interest in any of these bundles. already got fifa. not touching battlefield 1 and don't care for minecraft or gears of war.

i'll be mostly playing old 360 games on it. skate 3, red dead redemption, halo reach, fallout 3. is fallout new vegas supported yet? will also be buying halo mcc/5.

Jzero

i hope they hurry up and sell the console on it's own. i have no interest in any of these bundles. already got fifa. not touching battlefield 1 and don't care for minecraft or gears of war.

i'll be mostly playing old 360 games on it. skate 3, red dead redemption, halo reach, fallout 3. is fallout new vegas supported yet? will also be buying halo mcc/5.
The games are free...

Vuze

Re my Surround issue, I had to set the TV to PCM, Xbox HDMI Audio to Bitstream and Bitstream to DTS Surround. Now it seems to work :)

Time for some UHD HDR Bluray action :)

leng jai

Between those two options, I'd pick grey.

I reckon it'd be very visible in any colour if you're looking at it straight on. However, if you have your console positioned horizontally, you won't notice at all.

If blending into your furniture is a priority, Storm Grey is the way to go. If it isn't, the white S is an eyecatcher in the best way.

Side note: the storm grey looks bland to me in the same way the PS4 Slim does. Just a slab of matte plastic. I'd be down with a deep black One S though..

Gray for me. But only because white electronic devices equate to toys in my head.

Though really I want the Xbox One S in black. Just plain ol' black.

Seconded.
The gray reminds me of the old Xbox 360 Elite charcoal color.

You guys are a terrible help. The shelf it's going on is white so white probably makes more sense.

The games are essentially free. I suppose you can wait until they sell the console standalone for probably the same price.

im_dany

Hmmm, as a temporary workaround can you not also download in 'energy saving' mode ? If you tick the "keep my games and apps updated" check box ?

Or is that SOLELY for 'updates' to your existing installed games as opposed to downloading a NEW piece of software to the machine that isn't yet installed - as you appear to be doing with BF1 trial.
I don't even think that updates games/apps when turned off, I don't know why that option exists.

Btw, it hasn't worked since two nights ago, so I think I'm just going back to Gamestop and ask for a change on sunday since nobody on the internet has ever found a solution to this.

You guys are a terrible help. The shelf it's going on is white so white probably makes more sense.

The games are essentially free. I suppose you can wait until they sell the console standalone for probably the same price.

ah ok. i guess i'll go for it then. might get the minecraft one.

I don't even think that updates games/apps when turned off, I don't know why that option exists.

Btw, it hasn't worked since two nights ago, so I think I'm just going back to Gamestop and ask for a change on sunday since nobody on the internet has ever found a solution to this.

I can download in energy saving when the update box is ticked, try it.

Do I have to transfer anything from my OG XB1 to the S if all I care about are save files? Those are in the cloud right? I don't mind reinstalling my games.

Can someone with experience of them please give me the lowdown on these 'enneloop' batteries and which pack to go for, driving me mad swapping batteries so far.

Thank you

RavenHawk

Can someone with experience of them please give me the lowdown on these 'enneloop' batteries and which pack to go for, driving me mad swapping batteries so far.

Thank you

You will still have to swap batteries with the eneloops, it's just that they are rechargeable. I have been rocking the same batteries (non pro) for over 5 years now without any issues. Grab a kit that works for you....besides AA batteries, my original kit came with4 AAA batteries (handy for remotes) a charger, and plastic adapters the size of C and D batteries so that you could place the AA inside.

I kind of want to buy an XB1S, just because of how nice it looks. They really nailed the design of it. The UHD player is the icing on the cake too.

Have to hold out for the Scorp though. Hopefully they keep the same design theme, I imagine they will.

New002

Get the white One S. Done.

Bliddo

I just bought a GoW4 bundle.
The fan has the clicking/grinding noise. It's pretty annoying :/
Did someone try to get it replaced from Microsoft?

Also... is it normal that I found both the physical and digital version of Gow4? :|

I just bought a GoW4 bundle.
The fan has the clicking/grinding noise. It's pretty annoying :/
Did someone try to get it replaced from Microsoft?

Also... is it normal that I found both the physical and digital version of Gow4? :|

My 500GB Minecraft Bundle XB1S has that slight grinding noise but only when it's vertical, I bought the stand hoping to use it, but ended up putting it horizontal and it's silent that way.

im_dany

Just talked with support, he tried suggesting things I already tried and then told me to bring back my console to the store. I'm going to factory reset it now and if it doesn't work I'll go back to Gamestop after lunch and try with a new console

RulkezX

Jesus Christ.

The forza update us only 203mb but is taking forever because the console is only downloading at 1 Mb/s , nothing I do will speed it up even though the detailed network statistics in settings shows my connection at > 60 Mb/s

EmiPrime

Jesus Christ.

The forza update us only 203mb but is taking forever because the console is only downloading at 1 Mb/s , nothing I do will speed it up even though the detailed network statistics in settings shows my connection at > 60 Mb/s

Some days XB1 downloads are only around 5Mb/sec for me. I've no idea why either.

Bessy67

Just FYI Best Buy has a bunch of 4k blu rays on sale this week for $23 instead of $30. I just ordered The Revenant, can't wait to see what proper 4K HDR video looks like.

Top Bottom