• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox One X Preorder Thread

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
All of your Xbox LIVE settings, saved games, and other miscellaneous options are saved to the cloud. You would have to redownload the games again, but if you have an external HDD, that's mitigated as well.

For most of us, it will be plug-n-play.

If I will be keeping my XBOX One and want to have the games on both, can I use a computer to copy the external drive from my other system to another external drive so I have everything on both system using two different external drives and just go from there?

Colbert

Banned
If I will be keeping my XBOX One and want to have the games on both, can I use a computer to copy the external drive from my other system to another external drive so I have everything on both system using two different external drives and just go from there?

Yes you can have as many copies of the files if you want! The authentication to be able to play a game is based on your gamertag and not on the actual file on the disk. Be aware if it is not a digital version you also need the disk to play a game!

amdb00mer

Have we waited this long for a console preorder in recent years? Seems unusually long for what is effectively a mid-gen refresh.

Never really had to wait this long, but it was due to MS submitting the hardware to the FCC basically after E3. They wanted to keep the hardware design under wraps. They knew if they submitted it early like they did the Xbox One S somebody would have leaked the design. Phil did say everything was approved last week. I think they are working with retailers first to let them know how much stock will be available and I bet they will have a bundle ready at launch as well.

Never really had to wait this long, but it was due to MS submitting the hardware to the FCC basically after E3. They wanted to keep the hardware design under wraps. They knew if they submitted it early like they did the Xbox One S somebody would have leaked the design. Phil did say everything was approved last week. I think they are working with retailers first to let them know how much stock will be available and I bet they will have a bundle ready at launch as well.

I have yet to see any actual proof that a device has to have fcc approval before taking orders.

amdb00mer

I have yet to see any actual proof that a device has to have fcc approval before taking orders.

I don't know the legalities of it, but I would assume it has to pass FCC interference tests and other tests, such as safety before it can be sold. That includes pre-orders.

Also, the whole waiting as I said was to help prevent leaks of the physical design, not the specs, as they allowed Digital Foundry to publicly share those after a visit to MS.

Are there any GAF-Lawyers that may have insight into this?

Darklor01

I don't know the legalities of it, but I would assume it has to pass FCC interference tests and other tests, such as safety before it can be sold. That includes pre-orders.

Also, the whole waiting as I said was to help prevent leaks of the physical design, not the specs, as they allowed Digital Foundry to publicly share those after a visit to MS.

Starting here on the FCC Site:
https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/laboratory-division/general/equipment-authorization#step6

We can go to the Marketing prior to approval page
https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-i...3ec6ea010&mc=true&node=se47.1.2_1803&rgn=div8

and see
(i) Conditional sales contracts (including agreements to produce new devices manufactured in accordance with designated specifications) are permitted between manufacturers and wholesalers or retailers provided that delivery is made contingent upon compliance with the applicable equipment authorization and technical requirements.

I'm not entirely sure this means they can do preorders and cancel should the items fail approval or whatever, but it seems to indicate they might be able to do just that.

Either way, it's been stated a few times in here that it might not have just been the FCC approval they were waiting on, even though it may seem like that's the case or a few Sites including their own state they won't begin selling without approval.

The disclaimers that they needed to put on their store page aren't enough for ya eh?

I have ordered multiple devices that have not yet received fcc approval. I ordered the ReMarkable tablet, for example, a year ago or so, and it has still not been submitted for FCC approval.....

Novocaine

Go 8tb. I did now I have 175 games installed with 5TB left. Will last me until next generation.

I want to upgrade to one of these sexy things. I kind of need the USB slot that the drive would otherwise take up anyway.

Seagate_Game_Drive_Hub_for_Xbox.0.jpg

I have ordered multiple devices that have not yet received fcc approval. I ordered the ReMarkable tablet, for example, a year ago or so, and it has still not been submitted for FCC approval.....

Right, I'm not saying that something can't be sold at all without FCC approval. That's like saying that it's physically impossible to murder someone because it's illegal. Without the proper approval, companies are liable to legal action from the FCC, but there's no physical restriction that keeps them from selling anyway.

Microsoft is a large company and the FCC would definitely take immediate action as a result. They don't want to pay fines just so that people can order their new console a few weeks/months early. Smaller companies can probably fly under the radar fairly easily.

I want to upgrade to one of these sexy things. I kind of need the USB slot that the drive would otherwise take up anyway.

Seagate_Game_Drive_Hub_for_Xbox.0.jpg
I bought the non Xbox branded version of this on amazon for $160. While the USB ports are nice (you can plug another hardrive into them even) the enclosure hardly has any ventilation and the drive itself was very noisy (deep kinda thumps and thuds when it was reading/writing...I could hear the thing from my kitchen). My WD external drives are quieter and I feel the enclosures are much better ventilated. Just my two cents 🙂

Darklor01

Products that originate from the U.S. need FCC approval regardless of the region they're being sold in.

Here's the FCC's site for anyone interested in the read.

I agree.

Check my post a few up. I provide the sub-category on marketing prior to approval -
"(i) Conditional sales contracts (including agreements to produce new devices manufactured in accordance with designated specifications) are permitted between manufacturers and wholesalers or retailers provided that delivery is made contingent upon compliance with the applicable equipment authorization and technical requirements.".

This reads as if to say there would be the ability to make agreements with retailers to deliver the product to them contingent upon approval, but doesn't say they can market it to customers.

Novocaine

I bought the non Xbox branded version of this on amazon for $160. While the USB ports are nice (you can plug another hardrive into them even) the enclosure hardly has any ventilation and the drive itself was very noisy (deep kinda thumps and thuds when it was reading/writing...I could hear the thing from my kitchen). My WD external drives are quieter and I feel the enclosures are much better ventilated. Just my two cents 🙂

Thanks for the heads up. I'll definitely do some more research before I take the plunge, they're bloody expensive and I already have a 3TB WD

Theorry

"Mike Ybarra‏@XboxQwik
The world's most powerful console is launching soon. Always excited when the launch of a new console is so close. Can't wait. #Xbox"

Getting ready for news in 10 min?

Xbone originates from China tho?

Heh, I guess that wasn't the best wording. It's about where the technology is developed, not where they mass-produce it.

"Mike Ybarra‏@XboxQwik
The world's most powerful console is launching soon. Always excited when the launch of a new console is so close. Can't wait. #Xbox"

I didn't even realize that it was almost noon! I guess there's a possibility, but I won't get my hopes up just yet.

Darklor01

"Mike Ybarra‏@XboxQwik
The world’s most powerful console is launching soon. Always excited when the launch of a new console is so close. Can’t wait. #Xbox"

Me to @MikeYbarra...
giphy.gif

I would like to get an external HDD in prep for 1X. Not sure if I should do larger regular or a small Ssd.

I'm in the same boat. 1TB that's included is just not enough now when 4K is around the corner. Heck every game will probably be HALO MC-size with around 100GB or more. I hear 2TB SDD is sexy with 50% less loading times and SDD is coming for a price fall next year. Gonna wait for that and that should set me up with enough space for the next 10 years or so.
A pretty good buy list for my living room should look like this:
-Best external: 2TB SDD, Samsung 850 EVO Series
-Best tv LG Oled C7 65"
-Best console Xbox one X
-Very good (not best) soundbar Yamaha YSP 2700

I'm in.

If we do this every day no one will believe us when preorders actually happen and we can preorder them all for ourselves.

Syrus

Banned
I would like to get an external HDD in prep for 1X. Not sure if I should do larger regular or a small Ssd.

3tb and up.

I dont think the HDD benefits of speeds will matter as much on the xbox X. The X is packed with RAM so most loading times should improve alot regardless of HDD speed

If we do this every day no one will believe us when preorders actually happen and we can preorder them all for ourselves.

Having frequented Nintendo threads prior to the Switch reveal, I'm all for this. All we need are countdowns to each hour that we could possible have an announcement.

Tubie

Do we know if the UHD player in the XBX is the same as the one in the XB1S?

(I know its a bit offtopic sorry)

Also surprised to find out you still can't preorder this thing.

Pay money for purchasing a digital file I can't get access without the 60$ per year bribe to Sony? no thanks.

I hate those "Rabbits"

100% Indiana Jones rip off, I prefer the original movie.

For "Games" besides Super Mario Odyssey: 2018

Sale, sale, money, sale, summer, Steam, Sony, Microsoft deals, bla bla bla, I hate this period of the year the most: it keeps remind me how I'm just a "consumer" and nothing more for them...

I don't like this game, too "childish" even for my inner child...

All those tiny overpriced "pieces" of "something" known once as a "videogame"... not interested.

Not interested..

500$ ?

Not interested.

SLOv4ub.jpg

you are on a roll today

Top Bottom