• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Sober

this game is like a French girlfriend.

insanely high maintenance and I scream at her in frustration constantly but SO MUCH FUN
If I would carry the analogy further though, as long as you bring a crate of live grenades I think you'll be the one in charge.

In other words, bring grenades, always more grenades.

samn

Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a need to play the original or can we jump straight to this?

You can jump straight into this one, and in fact I'd advise doing so due to the improvements it makes on the first.

If you play them back to back you might be disappointed by their sameiness or feel burnt out.

For your first playthrough I advise playing without mods on either Rookie or Veteran, no ironman, tutorial enabled, then you can figure out what you'd like to mod in as you play.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
Sorry if this has been asked before, but is there a need to play the original or can we jump straight to this?

story-wise there's no need to play the first game since the canon ending is that xcom failed and earth got invaded

gameplay-wise it's also pretty standalone

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
so theres a mech i kill in the last mission that ragdolls endlessly when I kill him making the turn never end... great. thats just great firaxis

edit: no matter what I do I cant progress. I keep reloading and trying different things, he neve rleaves that cover so when he dies he falls down a hole and forever ragdolls.

So what mods are people running, if any?

I grabbed a lot of cosmetic stuff, "quality of life" mods like Quiet Bradford, Show Health Values, and Free Camera Rotation and the Enhanced Swords mod, the Retroactive AWC mod, and that Enemy Loot mod.

So far just the Long War stuff and the free camera. Waiting for things to fill out a little bit more, then starting another run with everything that looks good, maybe on Commander.

samn

huh, there's no second wave options?

Aiming angles is part of the game, training roulette is kinda in there with the AWC.

Hidden potential is available as a mod somewhere.

My guess is they'll add some in a patch and DLC as they did with EU or they're thinking the community can make better second waves than they can.

cdyhybrid

It's literally unchanged from EU/EW/LW. Exposed shots just means you take your full aim into account on that soldier. Plus or minus aim bonuses. All you get is a crit bonus. Even at the start your soldiers have 65 aim. That's marginally better than a coin flip, but when you factor in low and high cover (+20 def / +40 def) it's a drastic hit to your aim that of course if you just grenade the cover away you already have 50-100% better chance of hitting your target than they were in cover if you didn't already kill the ADVENT trooper behind it or bring a sectoid down 1/4 of it's health and force it to run into cover again.

It's no surprise either Grenadiers are stupid good when running down pretty much either end of the perk tree they have a bunch of cover destruction and guaranteed damage and party debuffs. Anyone who even watched Beagle slowly take apart Long War (as much as most people can, it's still imbalanced, even against him and it gets the better of Beagle sometimes - we're talking about someone who refuses to skip missions in Long War short of a literal roster disaster or because the endgame is in sight) or played Long War knows to conquer some of the other threats like 60+ hp sectopod bosses or a pod of 6 or so 30hp chryssalids and a 75hp boss chryssalid in a turn or two, you need to employ things like party debuffs and optimising your turn to a ridiculous degree and having as many buffs for you/debuffs against the enemy to the fight in your favour to basically kill things as fast as you can.

Honestly I'm not surprised and anyone who's put in even a decent amount of Long War play even on normal difficulty will probably know also how to maximize the gains on their turns instead of doing suboptimal things like plinking at targets in cover for 1/4 chance to hit, etc.

The base percentages might be the same, but the actual ones in gameplay are not. In LW you had early access to laser sights and SCOPEs, multiple classes with Holo-Targetting as a viable perk choice, etc.

XCOM 2 has none of that. Tracer Rounds don't come by until later in the game, getting Scopes on your weapons is purely loot RNG, Squadsight gives you a penalty, Holo-Targetting has to be chosen over a better perk.

Sblargh

Banned
so theres a mech i kill in the last mission that ragdolls endlessly when I kill him making the turn never end... great. thats just great firaxis

edit: no matter what I do I cant progress. I keep reloading and trying different things, he neve rleaves that cover so when he dies he falls down a hole and forever ragdolls.

Try the load replay mod or the restart mission mod.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Try the load replay mod or the restart mission mod.

I tried to reload many times, that robot never moved (it was floating in mid air) so I had to actually ignore it and let it hit me a few times while I fought the rest and advanced until I was out of its range.

and now the game just outright crashed for the first time. Man, people werent kidding about this last mission lol

edit: and now the game just crashes everytime I try to load a save. welp, guess Im done with xcom 2 >_>

iFirez

Slowly but surely making my way through the game, I care way too much about every squad member.

What happens if an Avatar Project is completed? (The red boxes at the top of the map)

Here's a couple of screenshots I've taken along the way:
FVriAHP.jpg

JkmxmuF.jpg

OSD3vGj.jpg
More here: http://imgur.com/a/9OkZP

Sblargh

Banned
I tried to reload many times, that robot never moved (it was floating in mid air) so I had to actually ignore it and let it hit me a few times while I fought the rest and advanced until I was out of its range.

and now the game just outright crashed for the first time. Man, people werent kidding about this last mission lol

edit: and now the game just crashes everytime I try to load a save. welp, guess Im done with xcom 2 >_>

No, I meant a mod that lets you replay the mission turn by turn, it's meant to be used to watch replays, but you can use it to restart the level.

Rhaknar

ok, at least the save before I started the last mission loads. None of the saves during the actual mission work now, just crashes the game

Saturation Fire or Rupture on grenadier?
I had Rupture on my Ranger (bonus perk from AWC). I was getting up to 20 critical damage with my Ranger plus Talon rounds.Very useful when multiple soldiers fire at one enemy like a Sectopod. Saturation Fire's good at getting rid of defences but I prefered Rupture.

Jintor

the holotargeting / double nade choice is painful because nades are obviously superior but I miss holotargeting so much :<

pislit

Anybody had the luck to have their HQ in New Indonesia? I kept in making a new game to get it as as the HQ but I can't seem to get it.

Sober

The base percentages might be the same, but the actual ones in gameplay are not. In LW you had early access to laser sights and SCOPEs, multiple classes with Holo-Targetting as a viable perk choice, etc.

XCOM 2 has none of that. Tracer Rounds don't come by until later in the game, getting Scopes on your weapons is purely loot RNG, Squadsight gives you a penalty, Holo-Targetting has to be chosen over a better perk.
True but fundamentally it is still the same. Why would you try to plink away at an enemy behind half or even high cover when you could just destroy it or flank them or pin them or any other options you could have that are much safer and aren't based on probability. It just so happens Firaxis kept grenades more or less as-is from EW, if not buffed them tremendously so that they do more damage. Most of the time - as far as I have played - you still need to follow up with actual shooting or something else, it's just that now you have way better chances to hit and crit exposed targets.

And let's not pretend anyone in high level play ever really brought along laser sights in LW except maybe on snipers, because even when LW grenades had way reduced damage (environmental or otherwise) and damage dropoff, it's still worth tossing them over shooting at something in cover. And in LW you would go from 6 to 12 men so only then was accuracy by volume actually a worthwhile endevour. When you max out at 6 people that's a much bigger loss on a miss than having 8 or 10 or 12.

samn

If I survive the Defense mission, is it gonna happen again soon?

No, I doubt it would happen more than once per playthrough for most people, unless they really hung around and never reached the end of the story.

You only get the mission when the dark event about UFO hunting XCOM appears. If you see a red UFO flying around afterwards it might pursue you but you can escape.

(this is my impression anyway)

ok, at least the save before I started the last mission loads. None of the saves during the actual mission work now, just crashes the game

I'm in the same position, except my game blew up and stopped loading saves in what I assume is the final part of the final mission
1 of 3 avatars dead, the other two spawned and running at my guys.
Maybe Monday or Tuesday I'll work up the willingness to start that long mission over from scratch. But I'll be saving and testing the save after every group of enemies. I am not going to do that whole mission a third time (at least until I do a new game eventually).

No, I doubt it would happen more than once per playthrough for most people, unless they really hung around and never reached the end of the story.

You only get the mission when the dark event about UFO hunting XCOM appears. If you see a red UFO flying around afterwards it might pursue you but you can escape.

(this is my impression anyway)
Yeah, it's relatively rare, as far as I can see. You need the UFO Hunt Dark Event in play, and even then you can successfully avoid it with "Evasive Maneuvers." I think that's a pure RNG thing, though from reading the description for Turret Breakdown research, you can maybe game it somewhat.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Yeah, it's relatively rare, as far as I can see. You need the UFO Hunt Dark Event in play, and even then you can successfully avoid it with "Evasive Maneuvers." I think that's a pure RNG thing, though from reading the description for Turret Breakdown research, you can maybe game it somewhat.

In my ironman game I have all of the endgame weapons and armor research done, but have never recovered a turret to study. I've only encountered them on missions where the goal from the beginning was escape. Fortunately the turrets were pretty useless in the defense mission anyway and the map was incredibly friendly (the spike was less than half the distance away from me as it was in my first game).

In my ironman game I have all of the endgame weapons and armor research done, but have never recovered a turret to study. I've only encountered them on missions where the goal from the beginning was escape. Fortunately the turrets were pretty useless in the defense mission anyway and the map was incredibly friendly (the spike was less than half the distance away from me as it was in my first game).
Oh, what I meant is that the research description for turrets implies that you'll be able to fend off UFO attacks better (which I assume boosts your chance of avoiding the Avenger Defense mission). But I've never actually researched turrets because there are always so many other things to care about first.

samn

I used a concealed ranger, walked it up to the spike, two squadsight snipers, bang, mission over. Quite disappointing actually.

Erheller

I've had hunting UFO's spawn without the Dark Event for them. In my last campaign I had one spawn right after I did the
Forge mission
, I never got the Hunt Dark Event.

The turrets are pretty fun to use if you have an engineer staffing them. 85 aim and 8-10 damage, with 2 shots per turn. You get 4 turrets if you upgrade it, too. It's probably a waste of resources in the long run, though.

huh, there's no second wave options?

The original game didn't ship with second wave. It came as free dlc, so I wouldn't be surprised if we see them come late again.

On the other hand, this game is way more moddable such that they may not even see the point of doing it. I hope they do, but I wouldn't be surprised if they don't.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Oh, what I meant is that the research description for turrets implies that you'll be able to fend off UFO attacks better (which I assume boosts your chance of avoiding the Avenger Defense mission). But I've never actually researched turrets because there are always so many other things to care about first.

Oh no, the reward is just that you get turrets on your ship for the defense mission itself. The range makes it so that they are only a very last line of defense.

I used a concealed ranger, walked it up to the spike, two squadsight snipers, bang, mission over. Quite disappointing actually.

I did that on my second game, but during my first the spike was at the very corner opposite the starting position. It took 4 full turns to get anybody in vision range (including a corridor where I couldn't possibly avoid detection on the third turn) and I had to move my snipers each to even get a line for squadsight.

NIN90

Is there a way to remove the graze mechanic? Because it's really just Jake Solomon flipping the bird towards the player.

Brokun

Is there a way to remove the graze mechanic? Because it's really just Jake Solomon flipping the bird towards the player.

It works both ways. The dodge stat makes enemies graze your soldiers too. But, give it a few days I'm sure there will be a mod for it.

Realyn

Fuck this game! Can't even get past the first mission. What a bunch of bullshit.

No seriously, the bugged spawns are annyoing. I had two on top a bunch of times already, but that's a first.

Bombless

Oh no, the reward is just that you get turrets on your ship for the defense mission itself. The range makes it so that they are only a very last line of defense.

And their aim sucks too, even when manned. Besides, I ended up hacking a sectopod and using it to blow it up in 4 turns or so, meh. I'd still build them but only at a non critical time.

It works both ways. The dodge stat makes enemies graze your soldiers too. But, give it a few days I'm sure there will be a mod for it.
I don't think I've had my soldiers dodge once even in the armor with the grappling hook, but routinely see the riot baton guys and snakewomen dodge. Its not a huge deal I usually play safe enough that it's not a problem but it is frustrating to have happen.

mbpm1

90+% grazes are rough

Does the "Stop wasting my time" mod remove the action cam? I kind of like that actually.

Top Bottom