• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

Spinifex

got destroyed in the first mission after tutorial lol

when do the characters from the pool show up in game? instantly? i didn't create anybody and just dove in to the tutorial and the mission after.

In Documents\My Games\XCOM2\XComGame\Config

Edit XcomGameData.ini

Find the following section and change the values as such:

[XComGame.XComGameState_HeadquartersXCom]
InitialSoldiersCharacterPoolSelectionMode=eCPSM_PoolOnly
RewardUnitCharacterPoolSelectionMode=eCPSM_PoolOnly

Can't wait to create my mom and dad as VIP's and struggle when I either get to save them or do some other mission more important to the overall survival of mankind and lose the opportunity to bring them home.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Shit, I am super jealous of you guys. I may have to boot EU back up on my PS3 and play through.

Nete

Best part of the game is the absence of the effing STOP USING EXPLOSIVES, COMMANDER from Ms.Vahlen.

Grenade all the things.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Best part of the game is the absence of the effing STOP USING EXPLOSIVES, COMMANDER from Ms.Vahlen.

Grenade all the things.

I thought that was still in tho? Grenades can destroy loot?

With the ability to import/export custom characters, I hope they release a separate character creation program. I won't be able to pick up XCOM 2 anytime soon, but man I just want to get my hands on that character creator!!

Dawn lost two rookies in my first 4 missions, that's two more than I lost in my Enemy Within campaign. Decided to start veteran and just as well I did, game has changed so much, timers really add to the tension.

Unpacking now, couldn't wait the extra hours. At this rate I won't have much time to play, but I can at least get settings right. Hoping the HDD doesn't make the game too unbearable.

wrongway

Oh man, I'm only a handful of missions in, and just playing on the 2nd difficulty (veteran?) for my initial tutorial run, and already had my first good 'XCOM moment.' Ended up pulling off a smash-and-grab while surround and out-numbered 2:1. I thought I was going to lose everyone, but a desperate last-second evac resulted in a 'failed success' with one rookie down and my star ranger crippled.

So, pro-tip and early spoiler:
Be very careful with the Skulljack item. When I used it, it spawned a much larger and much nastier opponent than the captain who got brain-hacked. That instantly turne an "oh shit" situation into, "game over man, game over!"

Shit's awfully intense for such low difficulty. :D

Game VPN'd and unpacked. Game plays decently on my computer on minimal settings. Better than nothing I suppose. Now to spend two hours in the character pool before playing one mission!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I grenaded an enemy standing right on top of some loot and it didn't hurt the loot it was nearby.

Perhaps it prevents them from dropping loot?

Or I misheard somewhere it was still in, more likely

Using a Phantom ranger as a spotter for your Sniper is so goddamn satisfying, especially on the rare missions that don't have any time pressure.

Second mission, all soldiers dead. Thanks.

I'm in the same boat, though I feel like the whole "Hack this thing for an advantage!" only to find out I had a 30% chance of not being fucked once the hack initiated was a bit bullshit. On top of that I had 2 guys on a sectoid at point blank range miss 50% shots and I had my last 2 guys panic when I called in my evac. Luckily my best soldier got critically wounded in the first mission so she survived the slaughter.

So far things haven't gone too well considering I lost 0 soldiers in my first play through of the last game.

Saganator

I tried VPN'ing into a Australia server with FlyVPN to get it early but I must be missing a step because it was didn't work for me. I went to the Steam store website while on a VPN and the AU store loaded, but once I log into Steam it says locked. Am I doing it right?

Log out of Steam
Unlock

I've done this a couple times before and this was all I had to do. I've tried skimming the thread and all I saw was people saying you don't need to change store location.

Is Steam Guard messing it up?

Rhaknar

Deffo gonna play on veteran. I liked xcom on normal even if I felt OP in the end game, I dont mind. Playing 50 hours of Darkest dungeom recently and I loved the difficulty up to veteran dungeons, but when champion dungeons started being super harsh it almost killed the game for me.

FiraB

Banned
my first one dead...

Epitaphs are awesome ^_^
HYWKI5w.jpg

No deaths yet (other than the ones you can't avoid at the start) on commander difficulty, but the wounded time is like EU/EW marathon mode. Anything with a timer, I've finished on the last possible turn, and had the absolute minimum amount of civilians saved. Definitely feel more rushed than I'd like, but that's the game I guess.

I kinda feel like playing tons of EW classic has me doing well with the tactical combat, but I have no damn clue what to build, in what order, or anything else with the new strategic layer. No power, low funds, etc. That's XCOM, booby.

Late Flag

Very jealous. This game looks fantastic and I'm badly hoping for a console release, which I'll jump on for day one. Hope you're enjoying it.

Anno

Got through two missions after the tutorial on Veteran with only wounded, so I'm feeling pretty good. Ranger is going to be my favorite class I'm positive, and I'm sure my over aggression will get a couple killed but earn glory for many more. This weekend could be something serious...stupid work tomorrow.

Volodja

Started on Veteran but had to restart when I didn't get to a timed extraction and lost an entire squad while actually getting Flawless in the mission.

Second start and 2 missions in I lose a gal, something I wasn't even close to having happen before or since.
Oh well, it was a Rookie.

Other than that, Phantom Rangers are great.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Anyone know of a mod or any other way to increase the size of the text? It's a bit too small to read when playing on my TV.

Smokey

I tried VPN'ing into a Australia server with FlyVPN to get it early but I must be missing a step because it was didn't work for me. I went to the Steam store website while on a VPN and the AU store loaded, but once I log into Steam it says locked. Am I doing it right?

Log out of Steam
Unlock

I've done this a couple times before and this was all I had to do. I've tried skimming the thread and all I saw was people saying you don't need to change store location.

Is Steam Guard messing it up?

This is what I did, but using VyprVPN. I started Steam back after poing to New Zealand in the VPN. Clicked Play and let it unpack/download the remaining parts of the game (about 300mb). It finished, I disconnected the VPN, and then put Steam in offline mode. Went back to Xcom2 and was able to play.

Hopeford

Man, this game is amazing. A couple missions in I think I'm unbeatable(playing on Legendary). Rescued a VIP, just have to reach the extraction zone. It's right there, but I'll take the roof just to be safe. Guess who's guarding the roof?

An Advent Mec. My very first one. At the same time, Advent reinforcements come in. Somehow escaped that with only one dead soldier(even rescued his body which was nice) but holy shit haha.

Can't wait until a mod comes out to remove or add a bunch of turns to the timers! ;) I thought I read that "some" missions will have them, but almost all the ones I've done have them, and it's damn tight on commander difficulty. I'm sure most people enjoy them, but I always have hated it when games have some timer running. Pikmin, Dead Rising, yeah, I'm talking about you two mainly.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Ugh.

Game is super awesome fun, but the loading screens pre- and post- combat slow down waaaaaaay more than it feels like they should, especially on an SSD.

I know the procedural generation has to happen each time, but I hope that gets addressed at some point.

Stiler

Really enjoying this game so far.

Is there any way to manually adjust the camera lower? Like over-the-shoulder low that it can get when your characters do certain actions?

Want to take some pretty screenshots and this would be great.

rybrad

Can't wait until a mod comes out to remove or add a bunch of turns to the timers! ;) I thought I read that "some" missions will have them, but almost all the ones I've done have them, and it's damn tight on commander difficulty. I'm sure most people enjoy them, but I always have hated it when games have some timer running. Pikmin, Dead Rising, yeah, I'm talking about you two mainly.
I feel like I almost always only see people complaining about timers, even relatively mild ones. Also, I agree on Dead Rising, fuck Dead Rising.

Top Bottom