• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

epmode

It's nice that the UI has smaller fonts now but I'm still seeing some unfortunate concessions to controller support over mouse/keyboard:

Quite a few of the menu options in the Avenger are activated on mouseover. Like, selecting different entries in the archives requires you to mouseover them. ..Just make sure you don't move the mouse as you read or you might accidentally select another entry. This is a common side effect when converting controller-style menus to mouse and keyboard (Borderlands suffers from the same problem).

Some text boxes bleed offscreen and you have to wait for them to slooooowwwwly scroll up so you can read the rest. Actually, this is just a design oversight. Implement mousewheel scrolling pls.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
When I read months ago there would be more timers this time I was pissed, but now ive made my peace with it and im going in fully expecting it.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Anyone streaming? Im bored at work

1.25 hours to unlock... Still more than 3 hours left on the download :/

Seriously considering just packing it in and letting it go 'til tomorrow.

Astery

It's nice that the UI has smaller fonts now but I'm still seeing some unfortunate concessions to controller support over mouse/keyboard:

Quite a few of the menu options in the Avenger are activated on mouseover. Like, selecting different entries in the archives requires you to mouseover them. ..Just make sure you don't move the mouse as you read or you might accidentally select another entry. This is a common side effect when converting controller-style menus to mouse and keyboard (Borderlands suffers from the same problem).

Some text boxes bleed offscreen and you have to wait for them to slooooowwwwly scroll up so you can read the rest. Actually, this is just a design oversight. Implement mousewheel scrolling pls.

yep, I was a gamepad user on PC for EU/EW and long war and I liked it. Moving on to xcom2 I thought removing gamepad support have to do with making the issues you wrote up disappear for favoring mouse and kb, and I'll be ok with that. But it turns out to me it actually didn't improve those things in anyway, and I'm forced to relearn the controls from pad to mouse and kb for nothing really.

What a surprise, time limits fucking me over already.

You've killed all the aliens effortlessly but we arbitrarily can't pick up the soldiers 1 tile from the extraction point. MISSION SUCCESS!

Also love that for some unknown reason the extraction site and the enemy alien reinforcement point are the same spot on the map and it doesn't even remotely make that fucking clear until an alien drop ship landed right in front of the VIP and evacuating soldiers. Also, the evac point is unrelated to where you started and they don't bother telling you where it is until a turn after you grab the VIP, not like this joint ever had plans before so I suppose it's too much to expect them to plan things in advance now. Jesus. No wonder the invasion succeeded with these muppets in charge.

Bwahaha, then when you get back to base

"Not a single casualty reported commander! I hope all our ops go this well!

(3 soldiers captured)

Salsa

this was my fear

hope they don't take too long patching gamepad support

5 minutes till unlock

epmode

this was my fear

hope they don't take too long patching gamepad support

Yeah, I was hopeful that dropping XInput meant that they'd rework the UI to be more mouse friendly but it feels very much like the old UI with smaller fonts. I'mma try the Steam Controller in the meantime.

You've killed all the aliens effortlessly but we arbitrarily can't pick up the soldiers 1 tile from the extraction point. MISSION SUCCESS!

Also love that for some unknown reason the extraction site and the enemy alien reinforcement point are the same spot on the map and it doesn't even remotely make that fucking clear until an alien drop ship landed right in front of the VIP and evacuating soldiers. Also, the evac point is unrelated to where you started and they don't bother telling you where it is until a turn after you grab the VIP, not like this joint ever had plans before so I suppose it's too much to expect them to plan things in advance now. Jesus. No wonder the invasion succeeded with these muppets in charge.

(3 soldiers captured)

Hmm.

Interesting thought: what if, instead of increasing time limits or eliminating them, they only activated upon discovery? So long as the aliens don't know you're there, you've got all the time in the world, but when they do the clock starts ticking.

Finally got out of the character creator and started playing with the tutorial. Game is definitely chugging on minimal settings, frame rate is not great. But my PC is five years old so I'm happy it's even running at all and I get to play XCOM!

Hmm.

Interesting thought: what if, instead of increasing time limits or eliminating them, they only activated upon discovery? So long as the aliens don't know you're there, you've got all the time in the world, but when they do the clock starts ticking.

Not good enough, I demand blood sacrifices from firaxis employees. Possibly their first borns. I'm starting the dark ritual as we speak.

B00TE

Almost 9 hours played now. Have to sleep, but I really don't want to. I have most of tomorrow off, so I can't wait to dive back in. Love seeing my character look like he's chomping down on his cigar before firing his cannon. The heartbreak is gonna be real if/
when
he gets killed.

Rhaknar

I had it on a soldier. But it's not in hair selection and going to the menu removes it.

You get more customization options as you play. If you use the charactrr creator outside the campaign you can choose every option

Rhaknar

Ah, guess I'm not gonna changed my current soldiers hair for a while.

I heard it ramps up fast. The unlocks I mean. Maybe its soldier level based? Check if theres new stuff when they rank up.

I nicknamed my main sniper's rifle the "Fadeaway", and on the Blacksite mission he finally earned a nickname of his own, "The Truth". Yep, it's a 2K game alright.

Volodja

(3 soldiers captured)
My exact same scenario.
Flawless mission indeed.

Trickster

some very quick thoughts/complaints before going to bed.

- wtf is up with the resist system in this game? I have not resisted a single psionic attack in the 3 hours I've played the game

- are all the missions time restricted? So far, all but one mission have had a "x rounds to complete mission" restriction, just....why? Let me have the freedom to play slow an methodical, rather than feel the constant pressure of having to cut corners and take risks just to get to the objective, ugh.

- Why no "overwatch everyone" option? Furstrating to have to overwatch each member indivually...

- Everything in combat takes soooo long, holy shit. I don't need to spend 10 seconds everytime I trigger a new pod to watch a mini cutscene with their aggro animation. Every action takes forever. And goddamnit at the constant awkward pauses where nothing happens for a couple of seconds before an animation starts or you're waiting for the round to switch turns.

- Please for the love of god why would you change how the cinematic shot thing works? XCOM1 it would be when the shot would hit, so you knew that if that cinematic angle started, you'd hit, so it was a moment of happiness. But now in XCOM2, for some dumbshit reason it just happens regardless of whether or not the shot is a hit or miss. So it loses what made it a thing you wanted to have happen, and just becomes this pointless annoyance.

I seriously hope some mods release asap that fixes some of these really dumb things

Corpekata

Banned
I think being low on psionic resistance is just a balance tweak. If you free a mind controlled character now, you get their turn back, and paniced squaddies tend to do less stupid shit. It also helps to make enemies stand out a bit more. In EU, they needed to be Gimmick + Infantry act, which didn't really mean a whole lot in the first half of the game, with psionic abilities for sectoids being more of a weakness than a strength. Now the Advent get to be the infantry and the aliens get to be more specialized, so they need to actually be able to disrupt you with their psionics.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Holy shit.

don't try to do (small plot objective spoiler)
The skulljacking of an officer
during a retaliation mission.

Shit Suuuuuuuucks.

Rizzi

So, not only does this run not all that well, the game just randomly decides to fire not with the soldier I have selected, but then the camera zooms back to the guy I actually told to fire, and just sits there doing nothing forcing me to quit the game.

Rhaknar

some very quick thoughts/complaints before going to bed.

- wtf is up with the resist system in this game? I have not resisted a single psionic attack in the 3 hours I've played the game

- are all the missions time restricted? So far, all but one mission have had a "x rounds to complete mission" restriction, just....why? Let me have the freedom to play slow an methodical, rather than feel the constant pressure of having to cut corners and take risks just to get to the objective, ugh.

- Why no "overwatch everyone" option? Furstrating to have to overwatch each member indivually...

- Everything in combat takes soooo long, holy shit. I don't need to spend 10 seconds everytime I trigger a new pod to watch a mini cutscene with their aggro animation. Every action takes forever. And goddamnit at the constant awkward pauses where nothing happens for a couple of seconds before an animation starts or you're waiting for the round to switch turns.

- Please for the love of god why would you change how the cinematic shot thing works? XCOM1 it would be when the shot would hit, so you knew that if that cinematic angle started, you'd hit, so it was a moment of happiness. But now in XCOM2, for some dumbshit reason it just happens regardless of whether or not the shot is a hit or miss. So it loses what made it a thing you wanted to have happen, and just becomes this pointless annoyance.

I seriously hope some mods release asap that fixes some of these really dumb things

No offense but you must have gone in completely blind and apparently expected no changes from the first one. All of what you said (well except the resist thing) were already known in advance. Sometimes staying in the dark to avoid spoilers isnt the best idea I guess.

The confusion about the timers especially is bizarre since the devs have been saying for months they were in, specifically to get away from the slow methodical place as you call it. They wanted a more offensive game this time around. Im not saying its better or worse by the way, im just saying you shouldnt suddenly be surprised the game is like they said many times it would be.

Its like someone buying Street Fighter 5 and going "wtf I cant focus attack anymore"

Top Bottom