• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

mbpm1

Seeing as the Guile hairdo keeps on popping up and Street Fighter is only around the corner I have this strange compulsion to create the rest of The World Warriors for the character pool.
I wanted to do this with the original but the customization never let me get far.

Might just go for it again this time.

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
Sectoids have been really annoying so far, seeing as how they can now mind control, panic, disorient and resurrect fallen corpses. The design is a lot cooler though.

Sectoids are like, either totally harmless, or they can END you. Sometimes if I have to choose which enemy to leave alive at the end of my round, I'll choose the Sectoid, and pray he just does some stupid shit like resurrecting a corpse. But maybe they'll Panic someone and get them killed, you never know!

That's a little disappointing :(. Love me some good character creation

The character creation is leaps and bounds ahead of the original reboot. There are 4-6 faces per race, not that many total. Compounded with armor/weapon patterns and props you can make some really unique characters.

Sectoids are like, either totally harmless, or they can END you. Sometimes if I have to choose which enemy to leave alive at the end of my round, I'll choose the Sectoid, and pray he just does some stupid shit like resurrecting a corpse. But maybe they'll Panic someone and get them killed, you never know!

I'm at least glad the resurrection isn't as strong as the Chryssalid zombies. Are those still in the game btw? Only four missions in.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Seriously needs more face options. The 5-6 we have now is pretty weak. And like 1/3 of them are pudgy abominations (at least the females - haven't made a male character yet).

Yup, the selection of faces is my only major disappointment regarding solider customization. They could have easily allowed some more freeform facial customization

Do more props open later? There were so many cool helmets in the last one.

Each set of armor has unique props that you can select, including helmets. The props for the Kevlar armors are pretty basic but you unlock some really cool stuff later on

Mupod

Sectoids have been really annoying so far, seeing as how they can now mind control, panic, disorient and resurrect fallen corpses. The design is a lot cooler though.

their main weakness is that they basically spend their first turn screwing around making it a good idea to clear out everyone else first.

their main strength is when you do that and your sniper/ranger both miss and oh fuck she's mind controlled jesus take the wheel

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the complaints about faces is so bizarre to me, I always use helmets on my guys lol :(

N

Noray

Unconfirmed Member
I'm at least glad the resurrection isn't as strong as the Chryssalid zombies. Are those still in the game btw? Only four missions in.

I haven't seen any chryssalids yet (thank god), and the sectoid zombies haven't been a problem yet because I always kill the sectoids before they can get to me. So far the toughest enemies are the enemy MECs imo. Enemy sword guys can be a bitch too because their movement range is insane, but with mag weapons/rangers of your own you can neutralize them with 1 attack usually.

The character creation is leaps and bounds ahead of the original reboot. There are 4-6 faces per race, not that many total. Compounded with armor/weapon patterns and props you can make some really unique characters.

I haven't actually played the first one. Are their face masks and and bandannas etc?

Edit: Also if you add someone to your character pool do you have to start a new game or will they appear in the game you're already playing?

Bliddo

Wow, what a rough start. I had to manually set my resolution (1920x1080, nothing fancy) in a .ini config file since the game options were listing only a couple of low res.

Dinosur

Yup, the selection of faces is my only major disappointment regarding solider customization. They could have easily allowed some more freeform facial customization

Yeah. I'm not expecting individual sliders for every facial feature, but when we only get six options per ancestry and four of them look like something you'd make as an internet joke in Fallout or a sports game CAC, it's kinda lame. I'm surprised they seem to skew super old lookin' too, since the base concept is all your soldiers keep dying and need to be replaced with fresh recruits.

TL;DR: I tried to make Babymetal and it wasn't satisfactory :)

Wow, what a rough start. I had to manually set my resolution (1920x1080, nothing fancy) in a .ini config file since the game options were listing only a couple of low res.

I started the game on my UHD tv and the only res options were a bunch of different ones hovering around 720p. It drove my tv absolutely insane and kept breaking game mode and all the calibration settings.

It finally sorted itself out after restarting a couple times. There's something really goofy about the initial auto-settings it tries to implement.

Going to start this tonight. Question, for Xcom 1 I played like 10 hours and eventually restarted because I learned how unforgiving it was without satellites, etc. Is this one the same way?

Other than some gameplay vids, I went in fairly blind, and I think I may end up getting screwed this game because I didn't up my ability to make additional contacts early enough. Making contact with places seems the same as setting up satellites.

Alright XCOM GAF. Confession time.

I'm a save scummer.

That's right. I played through XCOM EU and constantly saved and when things didn't go my way I reloaded and changed my strategy. I was scared of not only redoing content, but watching my characters that I named after my friends and family die horrendously to the alien hordes before us. I knew I put them up against odds they would have no chance of surviving, so I owed them at least a chance of survival with my Life is Strange powers.

Reading stuff around this game and how people played XCOM EU I feel like I'm missing something by not playing Ironman. I'm tempted to this time around, but I'm scared. But it's an excited scared like before a first date. I have a feeling I'm going to be replaying this game a lot this time around...

IMO, don't play ironman right away. Try out bronzeman. Stick with all your base building decisions, but give yourself the option of starting over the entire tactical mission if you really don't like what happened. Avoid using quicksave/load. You may find that it's not worth redoing a mission to save a soldier, carry on, then find out it's fine. If you really like the playthrough, maybe play ironman later...plus some of the glitches may be fixed...

I'm a save scummer.

That's right. I played through XCOM EU and constantly saved and when things didn't go my way I reloaded and changed my strategy. I was scared of not only redoing content, but watching my characters that I named after my friends and family die horrendously to the alien hordes before us. I knew I put them up against odds they would have no chance of surviving, so I owed them at least a chance of survival with my Life is Strange powers.

Reading stuff around this game and how people played XCOM EU I feel like I'm missing something by not playing Ironman. I'm tempted to this time around, but I'm scared. But it's an excited scared like before a first date. I have a feeling I'm going to be replaying this game a lot this time around...

LordAmused

How is the tutorial for a player completely new to the Xcom universe? I have played a few Turn Based games (CIV, Galactic Civ etc...), but that's pretty much it. Should I just buy EU and go from there?

SRG01

Not sure if this is known already, but flashbangs on sectoids gets rid of psi zombies. I'm not sure if it affects mind control either.

Branson

If you guys wanted to use the creation tools with everything unlocked and have everything in game, isn't that what the character pool is for?

Not sure if this is known already, but flashbangs on sectoids gets rid of psi zombies. I'm not sure if it affects mind control either.

Disorient disables some abilities, including mind control. For sectoids at least.

It's been my GOAT item so far. The first time since RE4 that flashbangs have been a key item.
How is the tutorial for a player completely new to the Xcom universe? I have played a few Turn Based games (CIV, Galactic Civ etc...), but that's pretty much it. Should I just buy EU and go from there?
XCOM: EU will be a fine introduction to XCOM, especially with the XPAC. The Long War mod will give you lots to do, also.

XCOM 2 has more going on, but I dunno that it will take too long to figure out. Unfortunately I don't have beginner tips enabled so I'm not sure how helpful they are. But it shares a lot in common with XCOM: EU, so if you understand that you'll be fine.

There's probably lots of videos on Youtube about XCOM 2 if you want to know specifics.

Furo

Tutorial is one mission which just covers the basics! I haven't played the first xcom but for me the tutorial was enough.

Dors this game have micro transactions? Its seems perfect for it lol

Is all the extra $$ coming from DLC? Skins?

The game itself and season pass (aka reinforcement pack) is all they are selling.

It actually has three (free) mods available on release, commissioned by Firaxis via the Long War mod team, and available through the Steam Workshop.

I'm a save scummer.

I haven't had a chance to dig into xcom2, but I'll tell you based on my experience with EU, I recommend not restarting unless you get an actual game over screen. By the time I finished my normal/ironman game, I had lost over two full squads of top rank soldiers, and had to rank up a whole set of squaddies all over again, with the difficulty refusing to let up, and 2 or 3 of the countries backed out of funding XCOM...but ultimately I won, and the win was so much more satisfying for all the obstacles I had to overcome.

Crackbone

My god I hope someone mods the timers out. I actually enjoy them but the steam discussions are just an absolute mess with the same handful of people spamming. It makes looking for interesting discussions a waste of time.

masterkajo

A friend of mine and I wanted to try to play XCom2 over Nvidia gamestream but it seems to freeze immediately and won't let me connect. So sad. Anyone got any ideas what could cause the problem?

Gothos

Classic without tutorial is fucking brutal - most mobs have twice my hp and I noticed that I miss A LOT of 70%+ shots. Think I'll just play Normal.

A friend of mine and I wanted to try to play XCom2 over Nvidia gamestream but it seems to freeze immediately and won't let me connect. So sad. Anyone got any ideas what could cause the problem?

Could be a bug from nVidia gamestream, it is weird anyway that nVidia hasn't released a games ready driver for it.

I haven't actually played the first one. Are their face masks and and bandannas etc?

Edit: Also if you add someone to your character pool do you have to start a new game or will they appear in the game you're already playing?

Yeah, masks, helmets, cigarettes, cigars, scars, eyewear, a lot of stuff. They should show up as recruits, if you make them that way, at intervals. Someone had a way to make it prioritize your pool but you'll have to search around, sorry.

I just made those last night before I went to bed so I'm definitely gonna give them a go.

Finding this infuriatingly difficult. I played through the last game once, it was a super fun 20ish hours and most missions felt challenging but this game feels insanely hard. I'm not an expert player but I went with Vetern because it's what the game recommended. I am about 6 hours in and every single mission I've beaten I've only beaten because of huge amounts of save scumming. Everyone gets wounded, my best soldiers are constantly sitting on the sidelines healing for ages. In addition the home base stuff feels way more complicated, mainly the world map. There is so much stuff saying "come here, do this now!!!" Avatar thing is 75% done and I've only done a single blacksite. I feel like I have to start over on the lowest difficulty which bums me out because the last game was hard but fun and I never felt like I needed to restart. This just feels mean in its difficulty. Maybe I'm just bad, I don't know.

Perhaps I'll give in and begin anew and stick with veteran so I don't feel like a complete baby.

Edit: As I sit here calming down I'm thinking for me it might be better to treat the game as a bit of a rogue like and not a single player campaign. Thinking it is sort of a rouge like might make the idea of starting over make more sense. Hmm... Yeah this is working a bit.

Lanrutcon

I finally built a proving ground.

Like, my dudes are wielding plasma guns and I finally built a proving ground.

It has neat stuff. I highly recommend it.

Mupod

I've beaten EU/EW 3 times, including one classic ironman, and just about nothing I learned from that is useful in this game. I was one of them overwatch campers.

I'm restarting tonight too, don't feel bad! I'm beelining to magnetic weapons and resistance contacts.

Yeah, masks, helmets, cigarettes, cigars, scars, eyewear, a lot of stuff. They should show up as recruits, if you make them that way, at intervals. Someone had a way to make it prioritize your pool but you'll have to search around, sorry.

I can work with that
YBIrkTh.png

And no worries, a youtuber I watch has explained how to do it

Classic without tutorial is fucking brutal - most mobs have twice my hp and I noticed that I miss A LOT of 70%+ shots. Think I'll just play Normal.

Would difficulty have an impact on the dice rolls though?

If they say you have a 70% chance to hit, regardless of difficulty I'd imagine the odds would be 70%. It would be extremely unfair to skew dice rolls to failure on higher difficulties. I could understand if they wanted to lessen percentages and make things like aiming penalties and bonuses a larger factor, but if that were the case I'd imagine it would just show that in the hit percentage. For example, on Normal it says 70% but on Classic it would say 50% or something.

Zornack

Two missions in, Alien Activity seems to linger on units/objects for quite some time before anything happens. Is this normal? In one instance it took a good ten seconds of the camera being fixated on a truck before it finally exploded.

MoonGred

Did they bump up the difficulty from the 2012 reboot? I remember being ok at that game, now I can't even finish the 2nd mission.

Two missions in, Alien Activity seems to linger on units/objects for quite some time before anything happens. Is this normal? In one instance it took a good ten seconds of the camera being fixated on a truck before it finally exploded.

Yeah, I've had some weird pauses like this during rescue missions.

Gothos

Would difficulty have an impact on the dice rolls though?

If they say you have a 70% chance to hit, regardless of difficulty I'd imagine the odds would be 70%. It would be extremely unfair to skew dice rolls to failure on higher difficulties. I could understand if they wanted to lessen percentages and make things like aiming penalties and bonuses a larger factor, but if that were the case I'd imagine it would just show that in the hit percentage. For example, on Normal it says 70% but on Classic it would say 50% or something.

Well, I'm just saying what I observed :)

Yushi

Welp there goes my first playthrough. The moment I got shut down, the mission was INSANELY brutal. Killed 40 of them with only 2 agent lost. Missions after that one just finished me off.

RIP. Lets start over!

tomorrow

So after failing my first Commander Ironman (self-imposed) run in June, I'm crushing Veteran Ironman with no soldiers lost. For the purpose of learning the game and the strategic layer, I wish there were a setting between the two.

Also, is there a regular "Wounded" instead of just "Gravely Wounded"? Seems kinda punishing to suffer the latter for losing less than half your health bar to poison or burning.

Thoughts on the SMG? Love the design.
Almost too powerful on Veteran. Especially for VIP capture missions, where you get +3 Mobility on the carrier.

Did they bump up the difficulty from the 2012 reboot? I remember being ok at that game, now I can't even finish the 2nd mission.

They did, insanely. Third mission is more challenging then the base defence mission in XCOM:EW.

Probably going to start over on rookie, because this isn't enjoyable right now. Third mission has multiple mind controlling/reanimating enemies with double energy bars, reinforcements, timer and fragile soldiers with a 4 squad limit.

Did all the reviewers play on rookie, or what's the deal?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
No spanish italian or french voice options, they will default to english if there's no voice option for them.

I have Spamish, French and Italian voices for soldiers when I modify their profile, but it doesn't give them the correct language when they are recruited even with the "match voices" option enabled.

Seems like a bug.

MoonGred

I'd say so. Took me 5 tries to get through the second mission. -_-

They did, insanely. Third mission is more challenging then the base defence mission in XCOM:EW.

Probably going to start over on rookie, because this isn't enjoyable right now. Third mission has multiple mind controlling/reanimating enemies with double energy bars, reinforcements, timer and fragile soldiers with a 4 squad limit.

Did all the reviewers play on rookie, or what's the deal?

So glad I'm not alone. I'm thinking of doing the same thing because I can see myself getting burned out on this game real quick if I make 0 progress.

I don't know how some of you play on brutal.

Top Bottom