• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2 |OT| Be Aggressive! Be Be Aggressive!

slower!?

with the tutorial off I was getting missions so fast that even with a couple flawless missions I was forced to run two rookies every time due to wound recovery. It was barraging me so fast I was like 5-6 missions in before I even got my wounded guys back from when they took single hits on Gatecrasher.

Fun fact: on my fourth attempt in Ironman the game has started very slowly with almost no mission at all for almost a month.

Honestly, I'm close to scrapping my first run, just because the strategic layer 'fooled me' into thinking there wouldn't be a satellite equivalent.

Should have read the small type by the new regions to realize that intel would be 'relatively' so valuable.

Seems like the 'strategic' layer is the more starved for time, this time around, what with the missions popping up every couple of days - which means that Engineers are worth their weight in gold.

One annoyance I've found is that healing with medkits no longer 'tricks' the no wound post-mission screen.

I'm 4 bars away from losing I think. I was 3, but a story mission reduced it. First I didn't have enough to upgrade my contacts capacity, then I didn't have enough intel. I honestly think commander difficulty is more balanced at the start vs classic on the tactics side, but I really thought the satellite rush was a thing of the past and screwed up.

Volodja

Anybody else finds the 12 turn extraction mission the hardest? The one where you have to find the person first.
Almost all of the other timed missions are no problem, but (ironically) the the longest one of them seems to be the hardest. Sometimes the generated map is huge and the extract point is really far away. Seems to be far more RNG than the other missions. Sometimes it's ok, and sometimes you have to dash basically every turn to make it in time.
Yes, definitely the worst missions.

The fact is that the others have 8 turns to do 1 thing that is at medium distance away.
Here you have to get to the door of the cell, get somebody physically to the door to open it and then get the hostage out, compared to just having to go to a place and spend 1 turn doing whatever you need and usually those things can be done at range.

peakish

Yeah... My first blacksite run was going great.
I killed the mech almost as soon as it appeared with a couple of lucky crits and hadn't lost a squad member. Then a freaking sectoid mind controls my only healthy squad member, who then proceeds to murder everyone.
Yeah, that sucks.
I was on the same mission and took out the mech immediately, just didn't expect the worst from that muton. I let my troops down :(

Gothos

It's definitely easier, especially in the first month or two. This game doesn't have the crushing early difficulty vanilla EU did.

It's definetely harder when playing without tutorial which nicely eases you into the game and has some easy missions to level up first few guys. Without it the game throws everything at you right from the start :)

Zeliard

Yes, definitely the worst missions.

The fact is that the others have 8 turns to do 1 thing that is at medium distance away.
Here you have to get to the door of the cell, get somebody physically to the door to open it and then get the hostage out, compared to just having to go to a place and spend 1 turn doing whatever you need and usually those things can be done at range.

The 8-turn ones also allow you to extract from anywhere, from what I can tell, and the objective is often something you can destroy or hack at a distance. Or in some cases just kill every alien in the map and win that way.

The 12-turn VIP missions can be punishing, and probably where a lot of the turn timer complaints are coming from.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I didn't realize that you could pick up and evac your dead soldiers to get their equipment back.

How does this work for missions that just end when you kill the last guy? Do you have to make sure someone is carrying them?

An hour in so far...janky and for a game that touted itself as having tonnes of soldier customization ends up having pretty anemic customization options.

Maybe it will sink it's hooks in with more play but so far; I'm disappointed.

Zeliard

I didn't realize that you could pick up and evac your dead soldiers to get their equipment back.

How does this work for missions that just end when you kill the last guy? Do you have to make sure someone is carrying them?

Pretty sure that in those missions where you kill everyone and complete it that way, dead squadmates are automatically transported back.

Corpekata

Banned
The only timer missions I don't care much for are the Timer + KIll all enemies type. I'd have liked more timed missions that let you complete the objective then extract.

Volodja

The 8-turn ones also allow you to extract from anywhere, from what I can tell, and the objective is often something you can destroy or hack at a distance. Or in some cases just kill every alien in the map and win that way.

The 12-turn VIP missions can be punishing, and probably where a lot of the turn timer complaints are coming from.
The fact is that I've never needed to extract early in those missions.
I can easily get in range of the target and do my thing in the time given.
On the other hand both VIP missions the time wasn't enough.

I mean, I just have to learn to deal with it, but they are by far the hardest missions in the game up to this point.

Zeliard

The fact is that I've never needed to extract early in those missions.
I can easily get in range of the target and do my thing in the time given.
On the other hand both VIP missions the time wasn't enough.

I mean, I just have to learn to deal with it, but they are by far the hardest missions in the game up to this point.

I haven't had to extract from those either, at least with the early game enemies, but I was just pointing out that if things do go sideways in the shorter missions, you can leave at any point. The VIP missions all have fixed extraction points so without reloading a save, you've gotta go all the way.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Zelliard resurfaces on Gaf when XCOM comes out.

Alien mods confirmed :(

Digging the new OT name.

First Retaliation went smashingly, though one of my guys almost got nailed to the wall by an adventuresome Faceless (I did not expect them to be able to jump that high, nor did I expect the melee hit to demolish the structure it and my dude were standing on), HUGELY enjoying this. I do wish there was some kind of way to delegate some of the opportunities that pop up on the strategy layer tho, this whole "do a thing for a day, stop because some immediate concern prestented itself, repeat 5 times until done" thing is getting a little bit tiring, lol.

I'm still digging into things, but it's everything I had hoped it would be so far. Here goes!

(BTW, tip for those loading screens: alt-tab. It keeps loading while you browse GAF or whatever).

EDIT: On mission times, still pretty early but haven't had much of a problem. You really do have to be aggressive about it, though.

Anno

Both 12 turn missions have seen me getting my last dude out on the final turn, which has been great. It's fun having to be increasingly reckless as the mission goes on. Knocking enemies out of overwatch seems like a big key to being able to always advance at least a bit. That and running overwatch with Aid Protocol on, hoping for the best.

Steel

Banned
That Saving Private Ryan moment when I drag Leroy Jenkin's unconscious, iridescent pink, body all the way to the extraction point. So good.

Falk

that puzzling face
About the 12-turn missions - you usually get personnel AND intel. Feels like they're higher-risk missions.

Volodja

I haven't had to extract from those either, at least with the early game enemies, but I was just pointing out that if things do go sideways in the shorter missions, you can leave at any point. The VIP missions all have fixed extraction points so without reloading a save, you've gotta go all the way.
Oh, I get that, I was just saying how much of a difference there has been between the two in my experience.

For example, my hardest 8 turns mission ended up with 1 casuality, which is the minimum I've been able to get away with in the 12 turns missions.

Has anyone encountered bugs where the tactical map screen scrolls by itself, uncontrollably? It's basically making the game unplayable. Base view of the avenger has the same problem.

Nete

XCOM pls, stop spawning engineers and give me some scientists. I haven't seen the chance of getting one yet, all the rewards, recruits and VIPs were engineers.

This is worse than missing that 95% shot :p

Has anyone encountered bugs where the tactical map screen scrolls by itself, uncontrollably? It's basically making the game unplayable. Base view of the avenger has the same problem.

Do you have a pad connected? Try tu unplug it.

dakun

so i'm like 10 hours into the game and love everything about it.. but the one thing that pisses me off and is on the verge of making me just stop playing is the stupid hit percentages.
They mean absolutely jack shit. It doesn't matter if i drop to the easiest difficulty there are instances where i can be just one tile away from the enemy with a 90% hit rating and miss. I noticed that this happens more if i'm 1 or 2 enemy kills away from winning and i'm making my last move for the round. Just to test it i reloaded the same save with 90% hit rating like 20 times and missed every single time.
Now i'm basically forced to accept this games shitty decision to fuck me over and wait a round which means one of my guys will be killed from bleeding out.
Don't get me wrong, dying is part of this game, but it shouldn't happen in a "scripted" manner like this.

Zeliard

so i'm like 10 hours into the game and love everything about it.. but the one thing that pisses me off and is on the verge of making me just stop playing is the stupid hit percentages.
They mean absolutely jack shit. It doesn't matter if i drop to the easiest difficulty there are instances where i can be just one tile away from the enemy with a 90% hit rating and miss. I noticed that this happens more if i'm 1 or 2 enemy kills away from winning and i'm making my last move for the round. Just to test it i reloaded the same save with 90% hit rating like 20 times and missed every single time.
Now i'm basically forced to accept this games shitty decision to fuck me over and wait a round which means one of my guys will be killed from bleeding out.
Don't get me wrong, dying is part of this game, but it shouldn't happen in a "scripted" manner like this.

A 90% shot at hitting an enemy still means you'll miss one out of ten, which isn't that egregious. The random number seed doesn't change on reload so that wouldn't help you. EW had a Second Wave option called Save Scum that allowed you to reload to change hit percentages and such, but in this case it looks like you'll have to wait for a mod.

Gale007

Pretty sure that is just bad luck man, and 90% shouldn't be a guaranteed hit in any game since you still have a 10% chance to miss.

There's this thing called a random seed that determines hit percentages as you play. If things proceed in the same way the random seed will not change, but if different actions occur beforehand the random seed will change, and the rolls will be different. It's a token effort at both preventing savescumming and giving the game a reliability to it.

So, it's not the game deciding you need to lose, it's the random seed saying that's a miss. Savescum earlier in the turn and do some different stuff and suddenly your 90% chance to hit will still be a 90% chance to hit.

And no, unfortunately, I don't think GAFfer RandomSeed can do anything about it.

patapuf

I'm pretty sure the game is programmed in a way that you can't savescum the same shot until you hit. At least it was done that way in Xcom: EU.

dakun

A 90% shot at hitting an enemy still means you'll miss one out of ten, which isn't that egregious. The random number seed doesn't change on reload so that wouldn't help you. EW had a Second Wave option called Save Scum that allowed you to reload to change hit percentages and such, but in this case it looks like you'll have to wait for a mod.

ok so basically that piece of information makes this acceptable to me.
It still feel like the instances where i miss a 90% shot happen towards the end of a victory but maybe that's just my weird perception.
I can live with reloads not changing the possibility of a hit if i at least know that missing a 90% shot just means i had bad luck and not like i thought was scripted (because i thought reloads would change the outcome)

I guarantee ht percentages are fair.

The reload thing you're doing is by design, btw.

edit: beaten, lol.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The 12 turn VIP missions are making me rage tbh. Pretty much every turn has to go right and you can't waste a single move while avoiding turrets and mind controls.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
The 12 turn VIP missions are making me rage tbh. Pretty much every turn has to go right and you can't waste a single move while avoiding turrets and mind controls.

If you fail the mission do you lose your guys? If so might aswell go balls out anyway

IWJ83.gif

This is just my observation, but shots in the 80-89 percent range seem to be more reliable this time around. Of course if I find myself in full cover and in a good position, I'll often just let it rip (rather than take the overwatch penalty), and hit a fair number of lower percentage shots. It really does balance out IMO.

Really, the only time I find it funny is when shots are being missed from point blank range on opposite sides of cover. Whoever posted that Naked Gun gif really hit the nail on the head. So good.

hQuVaFC.gif

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
If only I had GIFs of my dozens of point-blank autoshot misses.

14371001726_274712a94d_o.gif

Anyways I'm done with this until someone mods out time limits completely.

Time limits are not, have never been and never will be fun in any context or situation. 0 tolerance.

I am loving this game. Playing on Commander. This game feels so much more dynamic than the first one. In the early going, you have to be really, really careful, just like the last game, because your guys simply suck real bad, but man, once you develop mag weapons and predator armor/spider armor, get experimental ammo/grenades, and have some higher level dudes, you just wreck house.

Snipers are terrible. In a game where you're pressured to advance and stay mobile to deal with cover (both yours and the enemy's) they make a class that's essentially a turret. I feel that sniper rifles need to do way more damage than assault rifles to be worth anything, especially given that all sniper rifles require separate research and resources. When it comes to assassinating problematic targets, you'd think a sniper would be the weapon of choice...but they gave Rangers that job.

Snipers are lame early on, but they become killing machines very quickly, timer be damned. I always put a spider suit on my sniper, gives a lot of mobility with no action cost, which is crucial as it allows you to essentially move and shoot in the same turn and also gives you an elevation bonus. The Sniper + Phantom Ranger combo is absolutely deadly.

I'd want proof of that, I've missed a couple of 96% slashes in 7 hours.

I think I've used the sword maybe like 5 times. The shotgun is just so much better in almost every situation. I feel like they need to buff the sword a bit because outside of very limited scenarios I basically ignore it.

Anyways I'm done with this until someone mods out time limits completely.

Time limits are not, have never been and never will be fun in any context or situation. 0 tolerance.

I'm in the mid-game and time limits are such a non issue at this point. Maybe they'll become an annoyance again later, but really it just takes a slight adjustment of your playstyle.

Anno

That's the best part! I love it.

Just cleared my first citizen rescue mission and somehow pulled out with no injuries despite activating two pods on one turn.. Aid Protocol is really good, as are swords and grenades.

I think I've used the sword maybe like 5 times. The shotgun is just so much better in almost every situation. I feel like they need to buff the sword a bit because outside of very limited scenarios I basically ignore it.

Prior to getting run and gun it was probably more useful, but it does a crapload of damage early (with blademaster) that it took magnetics for the shotgun to match. Maybe it's worse on higher difficulties, I'm playing normal.

I did feel like the new rookies still have like 80% hit chance at point blank range or melee, which kinda feels low, but I guess that's why they're rookies. That said I'm the master of missing 90%+ shots and on my first (commander) playthrough I've already resorted to dirty savescumming several times to save me from squad wipes. I'll leave the pure ironman legend run for later once I actually know the game mechanics, and I know a faceless can
jump three stories to the rooftop and whack half my team dead in one hit when he should have absolutely no clue my soldiers are up there.
Overall I feel the AI sometimes in this game and the previous has a bit of a cheat when it comes to magically knowing the positions of all your soldiers so they can move precisely to the best position to counter it in a way no human would. That said I'm incredibly happy XCOM 2 has the new LOS indicator so at least I don't have to guess if I can shoot them or not.

I'm still not even remotely happy with the alien pod free move system. Ambushes only "kind of" mitigates it, and it feels inorganic that you can't spring an ambush by actually firing with your whole squad simultaneously rather than using the slightly wonky overwatch thing.

Psi zombies not being able to move when they get res'd seems fair, but shapeshifters springing out of nowhere and then moving stupidly far and attacking on the turn they shift feels unfair.

Top Bottom