• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies

I believe you need to uncheck them, actually.

I ran the first time with integrated checked, and you just get to build the spark when you build the foundry and the snow viper (or w/e) just randomly starts showing up. I literally just this morning had the exact same thing happen when i restarted by unchecking the integrate box but checking the individual two boxes.

This also makes sense because when you uncheck the "integrate DLC" box, by default, it unchecks the two boxes below.

Have you had a different experience? I've yet to see either of the two story missions and when you get to the mission where the snow viper shows up for example it's just like "that must be subject gamma from vahlen's experiments" and it's completely apropos of nothing.
You probably disabled the dlcs altogether. I checked them and have already played Shen's mission.

SRG01

I think it's preference.

If you just want the stuff like the gear and class and don't care about the actual story related missions involved, check the box.

If you're like me, and you actually like those missions, uncheck the box (and don't check any of the individual boxes underneath either).

Is the DLC rebalance applied if Integration is not checked?

Staf

I'm a bit confused about this. Does it expand on the story or change it? I'm looking forward to play it once it comes to the PS4. Loved everything, except the timers, about XCOM 2.

I'm a bit confused about this. Does it expand on the story or change it? I'm looking forward to play it once it comes to the PS4. Loved everything, except the timers, about XCOM 2.
I'd say it expands the story by adding new stuff and changing some stuff that was already there.

Nete

Today I learned that the Chosen are immune to flashbangs. I felt force to flashbang one as the best way to help a dude I had in a bad position, and oh boy, it didn't work as expected.

The good news is the guy survived. The bad news is there were Lost in the map.

H2plyt7.jpg
nS7GrAf.jpg

It wasn't too bad at the end, but the few turns I had to deal with both, the Chosen Assassin and Lost hordes spawning each turn, were some of the most tense I've experienced in these games. God bless bonds.

Today I learned that the Chosen are immune to flashbangs. I felt force to flashbang one as the best way to help a dude I had in a bad position, and oh boy, it didn't work as expected.

The good news is the guy survived. The bad news is there were Lost in the map.

It wasn't too bad at the end, but the few turns I had to deal with both, the Chosen Assassin and Lost hordes spawning each turn, were some of the most tense I've experienced in these games. God bless bonds.

Hahahaha, oh man.

If you had some Bladestorm in there, woulda been a good time

Nete

Hahahaha, oh man.

If you had some Bladestorm in there, woulda been a good time

The hero was the sniper on the balcony in the first picture, who recently got a Mag Pistol. An almost always 100% hit chance for 3-4 damage with unlimited ammo and an extra Bond action in case he misses or needs an extra shot is quite good for these cases :p

Tacitus_

Oh fuck me. I was going to leave the aliens to fight the Lost they aggroed, but then one of them whacked a Codex in the face and it cloned and teleported right in the middle of my still stealthed group.

There goes that plan.

E: fuck me they did it again on the next turn

Oppo

it is kind of bonkers how much stuff has been added

like when you see your 7th or 9th new interface screen and it's like jezuz what now

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
Can someone explain what to choose when you start a new game to get all story stuff? Integrated? No integrated?

Onivulk

Banned
Finishing a mission where everything went bad and like 5 of your guys were nearly dead but you still killed a chosen and completed the objective.

No feeling like it.

Can someone explain what to choose when you start a new game to get all story stuff? Integrated? No integrated?

Based on above, it sounds like you uncheck "integrate DLC" but you check the two individual boxes for Alien Huners and Shen's Last Gift.

But who knows.

E:

Here and Here too. Seems like that's the best bet.

Based on above, it sounds like you uncheck "integrate DLC" but you check the two individual boxes for Alien Huners and Shen's Last Gift.

But who knows.

E:

Yeah, it is weirdly implemented. You would think the default settings would be most geared towards new players who want to see it all. I guess they figured most will be returning players who've done it already.

Yeah, it is weirdly implemented. You would think the default settings would be most geared towards new players who want to see it all. I guess they figured most will be returning players who've done it already.

Right, and even if not, they took the time to build those specifically narrative driven pieces, versus the rest of the procgen stuff. You'd think they'd want people to play it.

I did read that it was a balance issue because SLG is like three missions in a row which makes the tired mechanic a bit of a challenge, but still. That was some of my favorite stuff in Vanilla two. The little story with Julian is entertaining, and the stuff with Vahlen is a nice call back.

But who knows.

E:

I assume there is no way to do it after you start a game?

Assaulting the Chosen stronghold is really fun and brutal. RIP Dragunova and high ranked shotgunner :(

That's going to be my next mission. I'm pretty much forced to as the Chosen has nearly maxed out her research on me. I'm sweating bullets, though. Got a feeling it's going to be a bloodbath.

Belker

I'm thinking about this from the current PSN Flash Sale, but how does it run on PS4? I remember reading it had issues at launch.

Still does. ONly played for three or four hours and have seen lots of tearing in cutscenes and chugging frame rates and attendant audio issues, primarily when terrain is destroyed or enemies drop in.

Hasn't affected gameplay, but isn't good.

Approaching mid-game now on my first Ironman play through (or at least the first that got past the first 2 missions). I kinda feel like there's almost too much going on. Like, I want to build a Training Center so I can some sweet bond action going. But I also want to build a Psi-Lab so I can get some sweet Psi action going. But I also have yet to build a SPARK, but I'm already having trouble working in all the soldiers I want to develop. Can SPARKS go on Covert Actions?

I also could use an infirmary, because my best Sharpshooter who has killed literally dozens of Sectoids somehow has a chance to panic every time she sees one. And my best Ranger who should be rushing headlong into the fray as long as she's not scouting has Cautious and so decides to hunker down instead of blowing alien's faces off occasionally.

And man, having a coherent research and build order, mostly getting mag weapons and plated armor as early as possible, makes such a huge difference. That extra health and utility slot on everyone is such a boon.

Also Bladestorm on Templars is fucking bonkers. Today I forgot that Mutons give no fucks about melee and so rushed my Templar in for a strike. Get's countered, and takes 4 damage, but she still triggered Momentum for a Parry, and triggered Bladestorm off the melee damage taken. Gets max focus off those two strikes. Muton moves, triggers another Bladestorm, barely lives and shoots the Templar nearly point blank, but get's Parried and rushed again. I had this awesome image in my head of the rest of the squad yelling "Get back, you idiot, you can't beat a Muton in a slugfes- oh...". Felt great.

Had the berserker ruler enemy pop up on a Advent facility and that thing completely fucked any way of salvaging that mission, knocked 3 of my guys unconscious from its BS AOE stomp.

I'm kinda wishing I turned the DLC off now because those ruler aliens are going to be very painful when I do an eventual ironman run.

Tacitus_

That's going to be my next mission. I'm pretty much forced to as the Chosen has nearly maxed out her research on me. I'm sweating bullets, though. Got a feeling it's going to be a bloodbath.

Try to save your consumables until the boss fight as the whole thing is quite long and be prepared to have your team come out tired and unable to fight for the next week or so.

Steel

Banned
Had the berserker ruler enemy pop up on a Advent facility and that thing completely fucked any way of salvaging that mission, knocked 3 of my guys unconscious from its BS AOE stomp.

I'm kinda wishing I turned the DLC off now because those ruler aliens are going to be very painful when I do an eventual ironman run.

I've been doing ironman myself. Things roll along fine until a ruler pops up and wrecks half my squad at a facility mission when I have full counter. Had one time where I failed three attempts in a row and lost pretty much my entire crew while the timer was counting down and I failed.

Pheace

Got my second Templar. He has Reaper and Bladestorm (can't remember the 3rd Xcom skill he has. Think it's Untouchable).

My first Templar was meh (got mostly pistol skills), so I didn't use him much, but this one? He murders multiple pods by himself.
He ranks with my savant sharshooter (she got some really good xcom skills).

Hopefully my 2nd reaper can get some good stealth damage boosting xcom abilities. I imagine a well rolled Reaper could probably assassinate some pods solo while still in concealment.

Several pods perhaps not but with the the claymore upgrade one pod is pretty easy for the reaper, just get close to one, wait till you have a full turn and then toss claymore and shoot it with the reaper. Doesn't even affect their stealth.

Remote Start can do wonders against pods as well and again doesn't affect your stealth :)

Nick_C

XCOM 2: 86% hit chance against a muton on the other side of my corrugated aluminum cover. Point blank shot. Gun clips through the mutons face. Missed.

Nick_C

Should I do it?

I'll do it.

THATS XCOM, BABY

It's times like these when I grab my Switch and do a map or two in Mario + Rabbids, where I'll hit four out of five times with a 50% shot.

Still think XCOM 2 is the better game.

Roshin

Approaching mid-game now on my first Ironman play through (or at least the first that got past the first 2 missions). I kinda feel like there's almost too much going on.

Yes, I feel the game throws so much stuff at you right from the start, it's overwhelming. And everyone and their dog are talking to you all the time. Is the Commander's phone number public knowledge or something?

I did a mission for the Templars (Very Difficult rating) where I almost squad wiped with 2 high ranking troops killed. How can I recover from this? RIP Mox and Elena. 2 of my biggest badasses. Went down fighting. F to pay respects.

Kneecap

I have WotC and am trying to dismiss a rookie through the armory interface. Every soldier's "dismiss" menu option is greyed out and does not respond to selection. Anyone know hoe to dismiss soldiers?

I give up.

I don't think there's anyway to play the alien hunters missions anymore with this.

Can anyone confirm they've actually played them? I'm like 10-15 missions in and just had the viper king randomly show up again

Steel

Banned
I give up.

I don't think there's anyway to play the alien hunters missions anymore with this.

Can anyone confirm they've actually played them? I'm like 10-15 missions in and just had the viper king randomly show up again

You gotta turn off the integration option when you're starting the game and check the individual dlcs. Integration turns off the missions because it's hard to fit them into the time table of the new early game.

Yeah, the early game is still filled with scripted missions. Further frontloading it with the loooong SPARK and Alien Hunters stuff would kill momentum.

The DLC missions are kind of a bugbear I have with XCOM 1 and Enemy Within. They suffer this flaw being a string of long, very gimmicky missions that are basically a death trap if you don't understand how they work. So I'm glad Firaxis are learning from those (IMO) mistakes.
I did a mission for the Templars (Very Difficult rating) where I almost squad wiped with 2 high ranking troops killed. How can I recover from this? RIP Mox and Elena. 2 of my biggest badasses. Went down fighting. F to pay respects.

Playing it safe and having a few 'Excellent' missions ending like this:
(The only reason this isn't a full wipe is because the RNG gods were with me. One person was unconscious; one was near-death for most of it; and an Alien Ruler showed up at one point which slowed me down to the very end of the timer. If I didn't have a grenadier capable of blowing up a wall... oh man.)

Victory is suffering.

On this note, having a mission or two in a row end like this is, while lacking an infirmy... problematic. There's such a web of interdependancies between soldiers now, so much more to consider during loadout, that sending suboptimal squads is a long-term mistake. Building those bonds makes every difference.

Mr Swine

Banned
Oh boy, had to restart after having a 20+ hour play session of WoTC. Things aren't going smoothly and I've done some stupid decisions which meant that I'm pretty far behind in tech and dying like flies :(

Oh boy, had to restart after having a 20+ hour play session of WoTC. Things aren't going smoothly and I've done some stupid decisions which meant that I'm pretty far behind in tech and dying like flies :(

I might be on this path. I borked my facility construction and put the shadow shamber right where I was (earlier) planning to put a workshop. Not sure I'll have enough contacts to keep persuing facilities--the Avatar progress is getting out of control, and it's only been covert actions to reduce it that have kept me afloat.

:(

dadjumper

I'm playing the game for the fist time with this expansion and it's overwhelming how much shit is poppin off at all times. I'm trying to scan some supplies and like eight people jump in like "hey man wanna kill a guy or what"

Don't get me wrong, I'm really liking it, but dang

Yeah, the early game is still filled with scripted missions. Further frontloading it with the loooong SPARK and Alien Hunters stuff would kill momentum.

The DLC missions are kind of a bugbear I have with XCOM 1 and Enemy Within. They suffer this flaw being a string of long, very gimmicky missions that are basically a death trap if you don't understand how they work. So I'm glad Firaxis are learning from those (IMO) mistakes.

Playing it safe and having a few 'Excellent' missions ending like this:

(The only reason this isn't a full wipe is because the RNG gods were with me. One person was unconscious; one was near-death for most of it; and an Alien Ruler showed up at one point which slowed me down to the very end of the timer. If I didn't have a grenadier capable of blowing up a wall... oh man.)

Victory is suffering.

On this note, having a mission or two in a row end like this is, while lacking an infirmy... problematic. There's such a web of interdependancies between soldiers now, so much more to consider during loadout, that sending suboptimal squads is a long-term mistake. Building those bonds makes every difference.

I had a 6 mission streak where nobody died at all. Guess this is RNG paying me back.

The Chosen assault missions are something else. If I had sent anything else but my very best soldiers, with the intent of exploiting the Assassin's weaknesses, it would've been a complete wash.

I was severely lucky to get away with it with only a few wounds and shaken soldiers. (One reached ZERO will. Like c'mon.)
So regular XCOM 2 still performs poorly?

Yup, there were no modifications to vanilla. WotC is completely stand-alone in spite of being an expansion.

Top Bottom