• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies

hotcyder

I've sunk nearly 100 hours into XCOM2 - and I feel like I'm going to sink a 100 more into WOTC.

I didn't think they could do more to the main game that they hadn't already improved from EU - but the the addition of the Chosen, the Lost, SitReps, Reapers, Skirmishers and Templars have all added excellent new meta to the game - as well as away missions and more going on in the base view.

The daily challenge mode has locked me in. Want to make a video about what i'm enjoying so much, but I genuinely can't stop playing it.

Onivulk

Banned
It looks like you could have an infinite campaign now thanks to the resistance ring offering major avatar project sabotage (removing to blocks off the meter)

Im just having fun killing the chosen. Two down. one to go.

Also, I have a Skirmisher with "savant" level combat intelligence . This guy has every skill so far and I can use him to just destroy missions almost single-handedly.

Then, my Templar solod a sectopod

I havent quite got many useful strats for Reapers yet.

Gothos

It looks like you could have an infinite campaign now thanks to the resistance ring offering major avatar project sabotage (removing to blocks off the meter).

It might be my favorite addition in the expansion :) Overall, it's amazing.

Steel

Banned
For reapers I just use them to spot for snipers who'll take pot shots at ridiculous ranges. Killing the non-assassin chosen before they even fire a shot at anyone is ridiculously easy with a reaper spotter. The claymore+a grenadier grenade is also the singularly best tool for ambushes. The reaper is also pretty useful for having a fail-safe way to get an objective done on time in a pinch.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Yeah, Reapers are the best scouts in the game bar none. They start the mission concealed, they move fast and far, can take shots from a mile away, can setup traps... They are great.

Try bluescreen rounds on a gunslinger vs a sectopod

Yeah I need to get those. I had a long period with no elerium cores so I didn't have the chance to make stuff like that, but I should be able to make one now. With those and the hunter's pistol she should be doing around 15 damage of armor-bypassing damage per shot on mechanical enemies.

And I haven't even looked at what extra skills I could get her with XCOM AP. I know what I'll be doing when I get home.

Sentenza

It looks like you could have an infinite campaign now thanks to the resistance ring offering major avatar project sabotage (removing to blocks off the meter)
It was always the case in the end game, even in vanilla.
At some point you became way more efficient at removing the avatar project progress than the enemy at building it up.
That's why it was always hard for me to grasp why people freaked out about that "doom clock". It never actually became a genuine threat.

Of course, that typically meant you still had at any given time three slots colored on the AvPr bar.
Now that bar has just been empty for a while in mine, but then agaon I'm just fooling around with the final mission already unlocked.

Yeah, Reapers are the best scouts in the game bar none. They start the mission concealed, they move fast and far, can take shots from a mile away, can setup traps... They are great.

they can shoot and remain in the shadows, they can go back to the shadows

and they look straight out of S.T.A.L.K.E.R.

favourite resistance faction

RevenWolf

Guys this is the run!

Guys, this wasn't the run
IKIFEEL.jpg

Was doing my iron man run, I was unstoppable up to the last hour.

Chosen
struck the avenger
while I was flying to
assassinate the chosen assassin
Despite being able to put forward
heavily upgraded units (some had to be rookies due to injuries) I couldn't win.

Even got to redo 3 times, I realised my firepower was literally not high enough to wipe out the opposing forces fast enough. Total slaughter. Deleted save and started anew.

New first order got is
between the eyes, as long as I hit a lost, they die regardless of damage dealt.
Gunslingers are now worth more than their weight in gold for those missions.

I want someone to use the templar as a base to make the Yakuza class (heat actions melee only class). I also want more fire emblem. We got axes, swords, and *magic*. Need spear users.

Sentenza

Now that this has been out in the wild for awhile now, is performance still really good 10-20 hours in?
Can't say I'm noticing remarkable differences in performances (still mostly 60fps with occasional dips and stutter, even if arguably less frequently than before), but they are immediately apparent when it comes to loading times.

Now that this has been out in the wild for awhile now, is performance still really good 10-20 hours in?

As youd expect from fireaxis, they elevate a good game to an excellent game with their expansions.

To answer your concern, Ive crashed once since playing all the time since release and it actually pompted me to send a crash report. I currently use no mods since my game cant save which ones I am using at loading, an issue that has persisted from xcom 2. I am waiting for the mod launcher to update for war of the chosen.

Jintor

this is a really stupid question - how do I 'make contact' with a region using controller support? I presume if I had mouse active I could just click on the button. I haven't built a comms facility yet but I have resistance radio research path done.

I thought you'd just select it with rb/lb but nope apparently?

/nevermind you have to scroll over the thingy. OKay

Covert ops at late endgame are way too much for the poor aliens.

Let's see:

-With ops that removes two blocks from the avatar progress bar, progress is easily removed like it wasn't there. The aliens have 4 facilities constructed and I'm not playing to destroy one anytime soon.
-You can get an order that's basically the "true concealment" mod ingame, making turns limit even more lenient. You don't really need it though.
-You get ops for development breaktroughts frequently. Those are +1 damage for an specific weapon. It goes even further; last one I got added +1 damage for every plasma weapon I had.
-You get an order that removes 1 block from the avatar progress bar each month. Like I said above, poor project never existed to begin with.
-There's an op I haven't done yet that allows you to recycle mods for weapons.
- There're ops that allows you to add more mod spaces for your weapons. And it goes beyond one extra space.

And more. Endgame is way too fun at this point. I do want to end my campaign soon since I want to make time for the games coming this month.
I think I have enjoyed the second half of the game more than the first half ironically; as most new things they added are for the first half than the second.

I do recommend to get the templar order for reflecting psi-damage. Codex suicide themselves and gatekeepers lost a lot of health quickly.

If I had any kind of problem at this point, is that the avatar was like a fly after fighting the chosen. Poor guy died before he got a turn.

Covert ops at late endgame are way too much for the poor aliens.

Let's see:

-With ops that removes two blocks from the avatar progress bar, progress is easily removed like it wasn't there. The aliens have 4 facilities constructed and I'm not playing to destroy one anytime soon.
-You can get an order that's basically the "true concealment" mod ingame, making turns limit even more lenient. You don't really need it though.
-You get ops for development breaktroughts frequently. Those are +1 damage for an specific weapon. It goes even further; last one I got added +1 damage for every plasma weapon I had.
-You get an order that removes 1 block from the avatar progress bar each month. Like I said above, poor project never existed to begin with.
-There's an op I haven't done yet that allows you to recycle mods for weapons.
- There're ops that allows you to add more mod spaces for your weapons. And it goes beyond one extra space.

And more. Endgame is way too fun at this point. I do want to end my campaign soon since I want to make time for the games coming this month.
I think I have enjoyed the second half of the game more than the first half ironically; as most new things they added are for the first half than the second.

I do recommend to get the templar order for reflecting psi-damage. Codex suicide themselves and gatekeepers lost a lot of health quickly.

If I had any kind of problem at this point, is that the avatar was like a fly after fighting the chosen. Poor guy died before he got a turn.

I have one Covert Op (the one I started with, actually! Tactial somethingorother.) that subtracts one action from 'ambushed' aliens. It's supposed to trigger when a soldier breaks concealment and activates a pod, but appears to affect that pod... and then every podthereafter in the mission. After quite some time, I realised this CO has made initial engagements waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more lenient than normal; I doubt this is its intended effect and suspect it's bugged.

Covert OP, indeed.

I have one Covert Op (the one I started with, actually! Tactial somethingorother.) that subtracts one action from 'ambushed' aliens. It's supposed to trigger when a soldier breaks concealment and activates a pod, but appears to affect that pod... and then every podthereafter in the mission. After quite some time, I realised this CO has made initial engagements waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more lenient than normal; I doubt this is its intended effect and suspect it's bugged.

Covert OP, indeed.

What it does is that if a pod is "activated" on XCOM's turn, then they only get one action on their next turn. So if you're continuously running into pods, they all take the hit. If they run into YOU, they avoid it.

It's hilariously good.

Covert OP, indeed.

What it does is that if a pod is "activated" on XCOM's turn, then they only get one action on their next turn. So if you're continuously running into pods, they all take the hit. If they run into YOU, they avoid it.

It's hilariously good.

I've forgotten I also had this one. They totally deserve it, though.

Most of the time, yes. I get the occasional mission in a Lost infested city with tons of characters, fog, etc that will knock the framerate into the Mid 40s but otherwise it holds 60 fps the vast majority of the time. That's at max settings (with FXAA) on an i7/GTX 1070.

Guys, Reaper Banish + Superior Expanded Magazine + Superior Repeater is a "delete unit" button. It's disgusting.

I LOVE IT

Now all I need is another upgrade slot expansion so I can stick a laser sight or something on it. Or maybe just an autoloader... hmm.

havnt played long war yet (played the main game), should i start with this expansion or play long war instead?

They each have their strong suites. I'd go for the expansion, due to the incredible performance boosts, but I'm hoping we get a Long War of the Chosen at some point.

Armaros

when the resistance fighters kill your mind controlled soldier because they barely miss...

giphy.webp

Resistance fighters have stupid high base aim. Iirc it's 95. So they just snipe people and the pods are more concerned with civis so they don't take cover vs them.

So yeah mind controlled Xcom soldiers have no chance, which is why I always carry flashbangs if I see sectoids listed.

smudge

Almost re-installed XCOM 2 a few weeks ago to try the long war or just have a second play through. I found out about this DLC/Expansion so I decided to wait and just play this. Haven't put it down since it released. Played from dawn till dusk both days this weekend, I can't do that with many games.
Almost lost my campaign by letting the Avatar project complete, like I did on my first ever game. Managed to get to the blacksite with about 5 hours left on the countdown!

Overall the game is just better than vanilla, especially the mission variety. If you're a first time player of XCOM 2, i'd recommend just jumping in with this DLC. (Stay away from Alien Hunters DLC though)

Baalzebup

Guys, Reaper Banish + Superior Expanded Magazine + Superior Repeater is a "delete unit" button. It's disgusting.

I LOVE IT

Now all I need is another upgrade slot expansion so I can stick a laser sight or something on it. Or maybe just an autoloader... hmm.
You can add in the continent bonus that basically gives all attachments an extra rank up (I guess this might also spawn as an order?). Superior scopes/sights are now +20% and yes, dat repeater is also 20% insta kill chance etc.

Amazing shit gets even more so.

Armaros

You can add in the continent bonus that basically gives all attachments an extra rank up (I guess this might also spawn as an order?). Superior scopes/sights are now +20% and yes, dat repeater is also 20% insta kill chance etc.

Continental bonuses , resistance orders and research breakthroughs have a shared pool.

They rotate between playthrough.

Iirc each mechanic have ones that only spawn in their own pool. IE + 1 damage research etc

SRG01

Reaper damage is so low though :( I'm starting to not bring her to missions because she can barely make a dent.

O yes, this is was also an order (for the skirmish faction in my game). Damm If factions are not incredibly fun.

I LOVE IT

They each have their strong suites. I'd go for the expansion, due to the incredible performance boosts, but I'm hoping we get a Long War of the Chosen at some point.

I say play the expansion.

thank you! expansion it is

Armaros

Reaper damage is so low though :( I'm starting to not bring her to missions because she can barely make a dent.

the key is to stack crit, and abuse her explosives.

Also with the right perks, you can easily use her to finish things off from shadow and have no chance to lose Shadow. Bloodtrail + Silent Killer = perfect way to finish off weak enemies. Add soul harvest and you can get really reliable crits after the first couple kill.s

Giving her the shredding ability is also good - the low damage is still enough to strip shields from any distance. Stacked with holo-targeting you have a great assist character who can go anywhere and set up devastating blows for other heroes.

Tacitus_

They're overpowered scouts though and you need scouts so you don't get some tender posterior loving from the aliens.

At higher ranks they can do cleanup (+dmg on targets wounded this turn, stay in stealth on killshots), delete dangerous units (banish) or wipe out entire pods (remote start + claymores). Or all of those if you spend some XCOM AP on them / up their combat intelligence so they get more AP per rank up.

Baalzebup

Real talk: dem operation names. Sometimes they are funny, sometimes they seem prophetic, sometimes just plain ominous. I know the XCOM in this game is a bit of a ragtag bunch of misfits.

But who the fuck names their operation Mountain Stank. WHO?!?!

Yeah, I've found Reaper's scouting abilities and general utility to matter more than sheer damage. I wouldn't pass up a good opportunity to bring one on a mission.

And further, if an enemy Chosen is weak to a particular faction hero, be sure to keep one trained up--you will need them.

It's hilariously good.

Oh... this explains a lot.

Thanks for the correction.

Reapers are crazy, you can solo the facilities with X4 planting without even being detected

Resistance fighters have stupid high base aim. Iirc it's 95. So they just snipe people and the pods are more concerned with civis so they don't take cover vs them.

So yeah mind controlled Xcom soldiers have no chance, which is why I always carry flashbangs if I see sectoids listed.

it was a priest, and i couldn't kill him in time, flashbang already spent etc etc

Covert OP, indeed.
Yeah, I have this one and it rules. Had a bad accidental multiple pod reveal just now (PSA: Marking a supply drop for the Resistance breaks concealment!), but the combination of a mimic beacon and Tactical Analysis (which I believe is a continent bonus) basically neutered an Archon, Spectre, Elite Priest and more.

Also, I don't think it's bugged. The wording is something like "aliens only get one action if revealed on XCOM's turn." It's just that powerful.

There's a mod that fixes this, but I'm scared to install it after the Resistance fighters helped me deal with all those Berserkers one time.

I gotta say, I love all the new tools and abilities and everything going on in WotC but if anything all these tools just exacerbated the power creep and effectiveness of alpha strikes in the game. It felt like as soon as I had tier 2 weapons and armor nothing has even stood a chance against me on Commander. Even the Chosen are pretty trivially easy.

I might restart on Legend with Grim Dawn activated. I would like to see if permanent dark events will keep the mid-end game fresh or if it might be too frustrating.

Top Bottom