• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM 2: War of the Chosen |OT| Mario + Rabbids + Autopsies

Fuck, started a C/I game since I was too prone to savescumming on my first Commander+tutorial playthrough.

I checked the alien hunters and shen's last gift boxes to get the vanilla missions, but apparently there's a bug that doesn't include them if you check the boxes with a controller. Had to be done with the mouse.

ARRGH....This bug. I hate this bug. I had it before the expansion but couldnt quite remember what fixed it, thanks. Ive already restarted about 5 games because i want to play the dlc missions.

There's no way to go back to base after starting final missions no? I thought I will keep playing a bit more to simply see where I could take my squad for fun, but my save is commander+ironman and when I load I'm on the last turn before ending the game.

Sblargh

Banned
There's no way to go back to base after starting final missions no? I thought I will keep playing a bit more to simply see where I could take my squad for fun, but my save is commander+ironman and when I load I'm on the last turn before ending the game.

If you die you can restart the mission overall, but no going back to base, no.

Brokun

Well, on a routine mission a Chosen showed up and eventually kidnapped my best Ranger. How do I go about uncovering her rescue mission?

v0mitg0d

ok so i now have the base game + expansion.

I played and LOVED XCOM. Can someone give me some basic survival advice regarding first few items to build or skills to invest in?

Fuck, started a C/I game since I was too prone to savescumming on my first Commander+tutorial playthrough.

I checked the alien hunters and shen's last gift boxes to get the vanilla missions, but apparently there's a bug that doesn't include them if you check the boxes with a controller. Had to be done with the mouse.

The snake king showed up out of the blue at some point. Beat him eventually without too much trouble, but now the berserker queen is kicking my ass.

I'll try to finish that playthrough anyway, but I wanted to give you guys a heads up.

Source:
https://steamcommunity.com/app/268500/discussions/0/1474221865200618829/

OH GET ENTIRELY THE FUCK OUT OF HERE

I have spent pages in this thread swearing up and down i was checking the boxes and the missions weren't showing and I had a sneaking suspicion it was controller related (there's also a bug where dpad skips two lines when in the "body" screen of customize for soldiers if using controller)

Well that fucking blows. I just finished my playthrough =/ I mean, it's XCOM so I'll play it again in like a year or something anyway, but goddamn, i really wanted to play those missions and could not figure out why they did not pop up. Good to know.

Thanks

ok so i now have the base game + expansion.

I played and LOVED XCOM. Can someone give me some basic survival advice regarding first few items to build or skills to invest in?

imho, in WotC, pushing to magnetic weapons and plated armor sooner rather than later helped me out a ton.

If enemies start scaling and you're barely chipping off dmg because you're a gen behind in weapon tech, you're gonna have a bad time. same goes for armor. A lot less stuff is gonna ohko you once you get to plated armor.

Sentenza

Is WoTC the last DLC for Xcom 2 and the devs are focusing on a new game or is there coming more?
I don't think anyone can answer this question right now, beside the devs themselves.

Still, the new ending added in this expansion seems to hint to more to come.

Is WoTC the last DLC for Xcom 2 and the devs are focusing on a new game or is there coming more?
I don't think anyone can answer this question right now, beside the devs themselves.

Still, the new ending added in this expansion seems to hint to more to come.
Jake Solomon doesn't know. I think Garth DeAngelis might just tell him to make an XCOM 3 instead of another super big thing though.

Maybe we'll get some sort of weapon/item/SITREP/Resistance Order pack.

Been trying Beta Strike to see how that works and it's an interesting novelty but it definitely isn't balanced.

Edit: I also tried Grim Horizon just out of morbid curiosity and I think it's a great idea to make the middle and late game more challenging but oh my god some of the dark events would make the game nigh unwinnable if you got them early. If there was a mod that allowed you to activate a mission that could remove a few dark events over the course of the game so you could get rid of the really nasty ones then this would actually be pretty cool.

Gothos

My bet is they will go straight for XCOM 3. Maybe some small group will work on another DLC or two but they won't be anything big. Personally I'm expecting new game from Civ team in 2019 and XCOM 3 in 2020.

Darkwater

I stopped a playthroughs of Xcom 2 midway. Want to get back into the game, but do I continue my old save, start a new campaign or get this new expansion and start that?

MJLord

I never actually finished EU or XCOM2 since I always try to play on Iron Man and on hard difficulty.
This post is me finally giving up and putting it on easy, still with Iron Man and giving a full run a shot. Don't shame me too much GAF

Gaz_RB

I stopped a playthroughs of Xcom 2 midway. Want to get back into the game, but do I continue my old save, start a new campaign or get this new expansion and start that?

Start fresh with the new expansion. You won't remember what was going on in that other playthrough and the history of your squad is half the fun of the game!
I never actually finished EU or XCOM2 since I always try to play on Iron Man and on hard difficulty.
This post is me finally giving up and putting it on easy, still with Iron Man and giving a full run a shot. Don't shame me too much GAF

No problem with Easy, as long as you're going Iron Man!

MJLord

Start fresh with the new expansion. You won't remember what was going on in that other playthrough and the history of your squad is half the fun of the game!

No problem with Easy, as long as you're going Iron Man!

Just finished the mission to get Dragunova. Mine and my girlfriends characters have a bond, hopefully this is a good omen for this run....

Bro, this is XCOM....

Might as well start thinking about what the headstones will say.
Turns out it says nothing.
79165B6956BFADCBE54BFC8B39E9D4348574B5C9

FCA9522097D0336A6CC1C893FB3D31B5C67C736B
Oddly appropriate for a Reaper.. I guess?

(She died in the same mission as Pratal Mox and like half of the others; it was a very dark time for XCOM.)

Steel

Banned
In my latest run, dragunova died because Mox accidentally blew up a car next to her by missing.

You hold your tongue! We will live forever in an Alien free world! ;_; *sprints into the distance sobbing*

The memorial posters will be in your missions for all time, yes.

In my latest run, dragunova died because Mox accidentally blew up a car next to her by missing.

The memorial posters will be in your missions for all time, yes.

I noticed in some of the resistance fights where they have semi blown up buildings and stuff, some of them have posters on em and it's the one's you make I think

You hold your tongue! We will live forever in an Alien free world! ;_; *sprints into the distance sobbing*

"Here lies the remains of a previously happy relationship, courtesy of Jake Solomon"

Lost my second soldier on this C/I run. This one was a Major, a concealment ranger whose entire concept was a kind of yang to his bondmate ranger's yin. Kinda hurts. I liked him.

No one can hit Archons when it matters, it seems.

Pheace

Just in case anyone was curious: I tested a little dirty trick and I can sadly confirm that characters saved in your character pool do NOT keep their combat intelligence in a new campaign.

Makes sense, but I dreamed of an army of combat geniuses for a minute.

What I did was use a mod that gave you 40 starting soldiers. That way there was a decent chance to have a good starting group.

Skade

We'll get patch support for a few month but i doubt we'd get any other DLCs.

Maybe cosmetic stuff to make a quick buck and keep the art team occupied when the rest is on pitch and design for XCOM 3 ?

Finally moving along further in my campaign and I'm at tier 2 weapons/armor now but I gotta say, the game is far more forgiving on Legend than vanilla ever was. I mean I had to straight up bail on the start of 2 guerilla ops and completely skip a retaliation mission, that
+ the hilarious amount of deaths I had should've torpedoed this campaign and I was playing it as an already lost campaign but I just wanted to ride it out as long as possible to learn as much of the new systems and features so I know what to do and avoid in my next run but surprisingly I survived, matter of fact I'm doing pretty good.

Another thing I noticed is I'm not really that strained for resources early on like in vanilla. I actually at one point had 400+ intel which I never even saw in late game. I used it to buy supplies couple of times and a LT. Grenadier so that's nice I guess.

So far though when it comes to research I've stuck to what I know unless I had a breakthrough. I haven't even autopsied any of the new aliens and don't know what they unlock.

Steel

Banned
Yeah, early game resources are plentiful.

Of course, in my current ironman run, I actually have negative supply income and I'm struggling to keep my supplies up since I can't even sell shit to the black market because of a dark event.

Morat

Banned
Has anyone had a bug where after killing all enemies the level doesn't end? Has happened to me twice now, both on guerilla ops. You can still call down the skyranger, and the enemy op is cancelled, but the mission comes up as a failure at the end of the month.

Skade

If heard people saying missions can bug where you need to kill everyone but a Chosen comes in and invoques a minion to help him.

But the case happened to me and all was fine. I thought i had the same problem on a supply raid mission on a Lost city once but i needed to kill all stranded losts as well. Cumbersome yes. But working.

Maybe it was the case for you too. Try exploring the map to ensure there's not some enemy hiding in a corner or something.

There is also a case where people had enemies going outside the boundaries of the map. This would be much more problematic.

Morat

Banned
If heard people saying missions can bug where you need to kill everyone but a Chosen comes in and invoques a minion to help him.

But the case happened to me and all was fine. I thought i had the same problem on a supply raid mission on a Lost city once but i needed to kill all stranded losts as well. Cumbersome yes. But working.

Maybe it was the case for you too. Try exploring the map to ensure there's not some enemy hiding in a corner or something.

There is also a case where people had enemies going outside the boundaries of the map. This would be much more problematic.

The first time a Chosen appeared as you say, but the second there was no chosen , and I searched every corner of the map - it was small cityscape.

Mr Swine

Banned
We'll get patch support for a few month but i doubt we'd get any other DLCs.

Maybe cosmetic stuff to make a quick buck and keep the art team occupied when the rest is on pitch and design for XCOM 3 ?

Just give me a Xcom 2 DLc with the old enemies with a few missions just to pad the enemy rooster out.

Has anyone had a bug where after killing all enemies the level doesn't end? Has happened to me twice now, both on guerilla ops. You can still call down the skyranger, and the enemy op is cancelled, but the mission comes up as a failure at the end of the month.

hidden faceless?

I had one where a single Lost was hiding in a bizarre corner of the map. Also had a mission where the Chosen spawned in an area that was inaccessible (and which they couldn't leave) until I grenaded it open.

I've now fully entered the late game in my C/I run, only have a few autopsies left to research and putting off the final missions until I've got all my ducks in a row. Between defeating all the Chosen and getting their equipment, defeating the Alien Rulers and getting their equipment, all the extra combat abilities, and all the extra damage breakthroughs I've gotten, my soldiers are complete fucking gods. This is a common thing in these XCOM games but it's at its most extreme now, and I love it.

I've now fully entered the late game in my C/I run, only have a few autopsies left to research and putting off the final missions until I've got all my ducks in a row. Between defeating all the Chosen and getting their equipment, defeating the Alien Rulers and getting their equipment, all the extra combat abilities, and all the extra damage breakthroughs I've gotten, my soldiers are complete fucking gods. This is a common thing in these XCOM games but it's at its most extreme now, and I love it.

Yeahhhhh

I had a couple breakthroughs that gave additional damage to swords and shotguns. And had my COL ranger, with the chosen shotty and sword. on occasion, that shotgun was critting for 20-25 dmg..... And throw bluescreen rounds on it and sectopods are completely trivialized.

Compound that by sending them on covert ops on occasion where you can increase dodge. Guy was pretty much unhittable and just massacred everything when you throw Reaper on.

The flexibility from all the new abilities and classes and ways to get things done is aweomse, but certainly exploitable towards the end.

Grimsen

This game has so much variety compared to vanilla. I went along with most inspirations and breakthroughs, and it's great.

The missions, too, are a thousand times better than in vanilla. Last night I resuced an engineer and two captain rangers from an abandoned city. The Lost and the Chosen Warlock showed up, but being able to use those two captains as soon as I discovered them proved too much for the Chosen, who was weak to close-up attacks.

It was also a mission where I had to bring a couple of tired soldiers. The panick/berserk system is very cool. Good thing I had a SPARK, to keep the ball rolling. He was a bit damaged from a previous mission, but he was invaluable.

Overall, my C/I run is slowly getting back on track. I lost a lot of good soldiers, and some great gear, but with the inspired research I got plasma rifles now, and I still haven't Skullmined an officer.

As someone who has played a lot of vanilla, this game blows my mind at every turn.

This expansion is fantastic. The banter with the Chosen is deliciously cheesy.

This is kind of where I'm at for the story writ large.

Earlier in the thread people were like "story is cheesy and terrible. They should just strip it out and have the mechanics, since that's why you're there anyway."

I think if you come into it knowing it's very saturday morning cartoon-esque, it can be a lot of a fun. Not every game narrative needs to be The Last of Us.

Vengal

Its amazing how much smoother the game is but for me its at the cost of general stability. The game crashes semi-regularly and in a manner that I can't even close it without having to operate task manager blindly.

Took out the Assassin earlier and almost everyone involved was majorly fatigued. Fatigue is an interesting mechanic and I wish more turn based SRPGs used something similar. It forces you to invest in more characters and keep B and C teams.

Top Bottom