• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xenoblade Chronicles X |OT| You want a baked Potatsu? http://youtu.be/8qPGXDk23mE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I really wish that the gamepad would implement the bestiary info for targeted enemies.

The bestiary itself is a tedious list that is irritating on its own to navigate when discovering pertinent details for certain foes. Almost useless given the lack of search or better categorical information actually. It would have been wonderful if the second screen switched to to display the enemy information for each target I highlight to quickly get information on affinities, weaknesses, strength, etc..

With upwards of 7 characters to roam the world with(4 in reserve), I would love to toss in say...my elec guys for a tyrant I run across that would benefit for that encounter without wasting my time and motivation to dig that info up manually.

In many ways, the gamepad support is one of my overall complaints. The hexagonal map could have been easily adapted to its own menu usable by a controller(even the online stuff) and yet it doesn't. Clicking on a grid space often tells you nothing outside of the icons that give a vague hint as to what is necessary to 'complete a segment'. You can't run up manually to a probe point to switch a probe type(or even pull up a toolbox with its data), you have to select it with the gamepad, which is irritating(as I prefer the Pro controller to play), just so many conveniences ripped away for the sake of tethering the player to this dumb device that lasts a mere couple hours on battery.

Love the game otherwise, fuck the gamepad.

There's a probe spot on the map that is fairly close to NLA (like to the NW iirc) that I wanted to get, but I can't seem to find it. I don't see any red line going up in the air. The only thing is, I think it might be on top of the huge land mass above you that you need a skell for, but I'm not sure.

Gattsu25

Banned
I really wish that the gamepad would implement the bestiary info for targeted enemies.

The bestiary itself is a tedious list that is irritating on its own to navigate when discovering pertinent details for certain foes. Almost useless given the lack of search or better categorical information actually. It would have been wonderful if the second screen switched to to display the enemy information for each target I highlight to quickly get information on affinities, weaknesses, strength, etc..

With upwards of 7 characters to roam the world with(4 in reserve), I would love to toss in say...my elec guys for a tyrant I run across that would benefit for that encounter without wasting my time and motivation to dig that info up manually.

In many ways, the gamepad support is one of my overall complaints. The hexagonal map could have been easily adapted to its own menu usable by a controller(even the online stuff) and yet it doesn't. Clicking on a grid space often tells you nothing outside of the icons that give a vague hint as to what is necessary to 'complete a segment'. You can't run up manually to a probe point to switch a probe type(or even pull up a toolbox with its data), you have to select it with the gamepad, which is irritating(as I prefer the Pro controller to play), just so many conveniences ripped away for the sake of tethering the player to this dumb device that lasts a mere couple hours on battery.

Love the game otherwise, fuck the gamepad.
Good suggestion.

Neoweee

What do you mean by this?

Is there a way to keep people in reserve for ready swapping?

Reserve is basically "kick out of party and have to hunt down again".

If Reserve was actually Reserve that stuck around with you, the game would be much better.

javac

Yeah its kind of anticlimactic really, been waiting since the January 2013 Direct to get this game and it goes missing on the day of arrival lol. Since I won't be able to find the Collectors Edition elsewhere for some reason its knocked the wind out of my sails and I'm thinking that I'll just pick up a standard copy in a few weeks when I get the time but I'll see what Amazon France says first :)

Xane

I wonder, are there any more DLCs planned for this game or were the current Japanese DLCs all there ever will be?

aravuus

There's a probe spot on the map that is fairly close to NLA (like to the NW iirc) that I wanted to get, but I can't seem to find it. I don't see any red line going up in the air. The only thing is, I think it might be on top of the huge land mass above you that you need a skell for, but I'm not sure.

Haven't got a skell myself yet, but yeah, it's up there afaik

Brandon F

What do you mean by this?

Is there a way to keep people in reserve for ready swapping?

Reserve is basically "kick out of party and have to hunt down again".

Oh, I assumed you could keep 4 extra members with you to swap while exploring(those "reserve" spots just terribly named?), but I haven't tried that yet. So that isn't the case? Lame...

desu

I can confirm its up there, you actually go there as part of getting the Flight Module for your Skell.

Oh, I assumed you could keep 4 extra members with you to swap while exploring(those "reserve" spots just terribly named?), but I haven't tried that yet. So that isn't the case? Lame...

It's not the case. You have to go find where they're hanging out and add them to the party manually.

Mupod

When you walk five minutes to a probe location only to see the beam of light on top of a huge ass mountain.

then you walljump up there and Solid Snake past a gorillion level 55 enemies, drop down on the probe from above and mash the A button just fast enough to place it before they kill you.

atmJBjB.gif

Neoweee

They're just terribly named.

Three of your part spots are basically spoken for at all times, and you need to re-find people in NLA each time you want to add them to your party. So having the DLC characters is kind of a giant waste. Why would I need another ShieldBearer+ when I am forced to have Lin in my party most of the game?

mindsale

I mastered Galaxy Knight and I'm really glad to have three free melee arts and a heal tied to Photon Sabers.

Now I'm deciding between Sniper and Minigun for a decent pull to grab enemies. Or maybe Sniper until I learn ranged damage passives and then have more fun with the Minigun.

Also I'm heavily considering leaving Pathfinders, but I have only the vaguest of notions what the Divisions actually do. Pathfinders give me a passive regen and experience boost per landmark and data probe?

Raven77

So the only difference between you and me is that I own the game and I'm loving it
and you're probably one year older than me, if your nickname is a hint :p

BTW, how come I am BL 2 but I can't upgrade my Field Skill? The game (and the manual) told me I'm supposed to talk to Eleonora for that but she won't say anything different from any other named NPC. The Missions terminal next to her doesn't give me any clue either... do I have to clear Chapter 3 before I can do that? Or maybe field skills are upgraded somewhere else?

Glad to hear i'll enjoy this. I was born in late 83, FYI so pretty close. I just like 7's.

Also, what class are people having the most fun with? Only one i've read up on is Galactic Knight. I want something fun, not necessarily the most powerful.

aravuus

I've done like 10+ quests with you Hope, WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME ALREADY?!

The second heart has barely started glowing. Grinding for affinity is shit.

Sölf

Recruited H.B. Farmed stupid stuff for gathering quests. Still don't have all. Will do 1-2 more Affinity quests and then move on to Chapter 5, which seems to be pretty good.

Neoweee

I've done like 10+ quests with you Hope, WHY WON'T YOU LOVE ME ALREADY?!

The second heart has barely started glowing. Grinding for affinity is shit.

Just use a variety of characters during the story & affinity missions!

Oh, wait...

=(

also... is there a way to check which skell skills that come with the equipment without buying & equiping it first?
You can hit R to switch between weapon stats and art info for those. It doesn't show you the name of the art, but they're always the same one between different variants of the same weapon series, and all the important stats are based on the weapon itself anyway.
Here's a stupid thing that bothers me: I did some side quest involving the water thing in Bianho Lake yesterday and the quest exclusive enemies didn't show up on my Enemy Index. Did they forget to add those or something? Lol.
Not all of the 'boss' enemies show up in the bestiary. I have no idea why :/

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Instantly killing full hp enemies with Mastermind feels so good.

Woah. Just found about about the aerial camera.

Hold R+ Up on the D-pad.

How are you guys going about completing those bulletin board missions? Exploring the map and then picking them up later?

I picked up a few in the beginning and got frustrated when I couldn't find any of the materials for the 1 star quests so I just dumped all of them and have just been exploring Primordia at my leisure, hoping I pick up whatever is needed for the quests on the way.

Wish specific tiles gave us more info on the types of materials and monsters can be found in it.

aravuus

That fucking follow ball, it literally took me swimming for no reason. Just swam for a couple of hundred meters and made a u-turn.

And I thought I couldn't hate Tatsu any more. Wish that little cunt took his follow ball and went to die somewhere.

Victrix

*beard*
The enemy codex is a catastrophic failure.

It has all the information you could want, unlocked by beating up monsters, encouraging exploration and monster bashing, and it's quickly accessible from any menu that needs monster parts, like the armory crafting stations.

... except there's no practical way to search or filter the list, and the direct menu link bafflingly doesn't take you to a sorted and filtered list of monsters with that drop.

Several people spent hours, probably hundreds of hours of their lives implementing that feature, and it's functionally worthless.

What a waste :(

I decided to use a flash drive for the data packs and since it is not recommended by Nintendo am going to make a habit of backing up my save every so often. Keep in mind that your external hard drive users can just as easily have a failure so backing up isn't a bad idea for you too.

Unfortunately the Wii U data management utility doesn't let you copy individual files so if you want to back up your smallish save file (5mb) you have to also back up the 10GB of data packs. Annoying but what are you going to do? I came up with a few ways of dealing with it and figured it might be helpful for others.

Internal Back Up
This is the ideal way if you have the space on your Wii U to do it. Back up all the data (all 10GB) to the Wii U internal memory. Once it is done copying go in your internal storage and delete the Data pack and any update files so that all is left is your save. Make sure you ONLY delete the data pack and update files.

External Back Up
If you are like me and don't have 10GB of swap space on your Wii U you could go this route. Get a secondary USB drive that is at least 10 GB+ (probably want to go with a 16GB if not more just to leave a safe amount of free space down the road).

If you have 2 USB drives plugged in the Wii U will recognize them both but only let you run the data management utility. Which is fine, all we care about is doing a back up. Do the same as above with the internal backup except instead copy the data to the secondary flash drive. Deleting the data packs once done is optional since it is just a back up you'll have laying around and can't really use it for anything else anyway. Your choice.

NUCLEAR Back Up
If you don't have the free swap space in your internal memory (I feel you non-deluxe owners) and don't want to or don't have the funds to grab a secondary drive here is an option that, although crazy, will at least let you back up your damned save file.

Delete the data packs. Yep, you heard me. Delete all 10 GB of the data packs. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU ARE ONLY DELETING THE DATA PACKS AND NOT DELETING YOUR SAVE FILE. This will leave just your tiny save file that you should have plenty of room now to copy over. Once you have made your back up, redownload the data packs. Not a great option but maybe useful for people who hit 100+ hours and want a little insurance on their save file.

Here is hoping Nintendo patches the Wii U to allow you to copy individual files not just a bulk copy. Probably won't happen but a guy can dream.

aravuus

Finally found the cave I was looking for! "Thanks", follow ball.

Of course I instantly get attacked by a level 56 Cursed Adsecula and die promptly. Mistakenly read it as cursed arsehole at first, which would have been far more fitting.

Neoweee

The enemy codex is a catastrophic failure.

It has all the information you could want, unlocked by beating up monsters, encouraging exploration and monster bashing, and it's quickly accessible from any menu that needs monster parts, like the armory crafting stations.

... except there's no practical way to search or filter the list, and the direct menu link bafflingly doesn't take you to a sorted and filtered list of monsters with that drop.

Several people spent hours, probably hundreds of hours of their lives implementing that feature, and it's functionally worthless.

What a waste :(

That's basically the story of Xenoblade X. A game much larger and more featured than any developer could pull of with consistent quality.

If you focus on the good, the game is fantastic, but there is a great deal of BS to wade through for tertiary mechanics and features.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I can't progress through the main missions because I need to increase some guy's affinity level (I don't use him much too). So annoying :(

follow ball really works well

sometimes I think it is going the wrong way but for someplace it really helps when you have no idea how to get up to those high areas

Sylas

Woah. Just found about about the aerial camera.

Hold R+ Up on the D-pad.

How are you guys going about completing those bulletin board missions? Exploring the map and then picking them up later?

I picked up a few in the beginning and got frustrated when I couldn't find any of the materials for the 1 star quests so I just dumped all of them and have just been exploring Primordia at my leisure, hoping I pick up whatever is needed for the quests on the way.

Wish specific tiles gave us more info on the types of materials and monsters can be found in it.

I'm doing what you mentioned--just exploring and turning in the collection missions when I have the stuff for'em. Though I did find a handy link that's taken from the guidebook that details where to find each thing on each continent, so hey!

I also didn't realize that for the colletion missions that come from NPCs they often give some pretty decent clues on where to find the item in question. A bit of RNG is still involved but it's never been too bad.

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
How do you abandon accepted bulletin board side quests?

Brandon F

I decided to use a flash drive for the data packs and since it is not recommended by Nintendo am going to make a habit of backing up my save every so often. Keep in mind that your external hard drive users can just as easily have a failure so backing up isn't a bad idea for you too.

Unfortunately the Wii U data management utility doesn't let you copy individual files so if you want to back up your smallish save file (5mb) you have to also back up the 10GB of data packs. Annoying but what are you going to do? I came up with a few ways of dealing with it and figured it might be helpful for others.

Internal Back Up
This is the ideal way if you have the space on your Wii U to do it. Back up all the data (all 10GB) to the Wii U internal memory. Once it is done copying go in your internal storage and delete the Data pack and any update files so that all is left is your save. Make sure you ONLY delete the data pack and update files.

External Back Up
If you are like me and don't have 10GB of swap space on your Wii U you could go this route. Get a secondary USB drive that is at least 10 GB+ (probably want to go with a 16GB if not more just to leave a safe amount of free space down the road).

If you have 2 USB drives plugged in the Wii U will recognize them both but only let you run the data management utility. Which is fine, all we care about is doing a back up. Do the same as above with the internal backup except instead copy the data to the secondary flash drive. Deleting the data packs once done is optional since it is just a back up you'll have laying around and can't really use it for anything else anyway. Your choice.

NUCLEAR Back Up
If you don't have the free swap space in your internal memory (I feel you non-deluxe owners) and don't want to or don't have the funds to grab a secondary drive here is an option that, although crazy, will at least let you back up your damned save file.

Delete the data packs. Yep, you heard me. Delete all 10 GB of the data packs. MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE YOU ARE ONLY DELETING THE DATA PACKS AND NOT DELETING YOUR SAVE FILE. This will leave just your tiny save file that you should have plenty of room now to copy over. Once you have made your back up, redownload the data packs. Not a great option but maybe useful for people who hit 100+ hours and want a little insurance on their save file.

Here is hoping Nintendo patches the Wii U to allow you to copy individual files not just a bulk copy. Probably won't happen but a guy can dream.

Fuck. I had hoped when I pre-installed the data packs on a USB Flash stick, my savefile would have been put in internal storage. Guess not and now I am frustrated at the thought of constantly backing up to my PC because Nintendo.

Lenardo

Banned
SO I picked this up Saturday night (e-version) and downloaded it overnight and started to play yesterday morning- like the graphics so far- i am at the point where you fight that first tyrant (played for ~2hrs- i explored, killed, etc gotta get a handle on how to do combat still -never did more than a few hrs of xenoblade) and my daughter comes downstairs and...wants to play (she is 11) so i let her...an hr later one of my sons(he is 11) comes downstairs...and HE wants to play....then ~45 minutes later (daughter still playing) my oldest son(14) comes down and......HE wants to play..... Sigh overall between the 3 of them they played the game for almost 12hrs yesterday (excluding my couple of hrs)(each on their own accounts so no shared save data)

they like it so far, my oldest is the best at combat right now, he just...destroys things-he'll do dbl gun then charge in with swords and the mob drops 50% hp in like 5 seconds (though it was hilarious, he is demolishing a mob and this level 82 tyrant just comes trotting along, Bam one shot,.. i just started laughing)

we all are liking it so far. which reminds me, i gotta text them to prevent fighting when they get home from school (half day) i have them set a timer for an hr or 90 minutes so each gets an even amount of time playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom